• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamario

Banned
This wouldn't be as big a deal, if it wasn't for the fact the the xbone is $100 more expensive and significantly less powerful. They're going to take that $100 off the console before the end of next year and even then without a kinect included.
So many bad design and pricing decisions that it boggles the mind. How could they have not learned from PS3. Did they fall into the arrogance trap? At least Sony had an excuse with the PS3 launch price.

BubbaMc

This is awesome. Takes me back to the 80's and early 90's where multiplatform games looked very different depending on the system.

PS4 is the new Amiga.

thekingff

Banned
Yeah, like product planning manager don't know how his product and competition product performs. Sorry i don't believe it. I worked in sales for few years and i had to know virually anything about competition products when i had to sell mine.

But who knows MS going into spec wars may be truth that people there don't know how to either sell console or simply they don't know what they have.

MS from start should play Nintendo if they didn't have better spec or simply say like that MS dude earlier that games matter not graphics.

He says he does know how THEIR products perform, but doesn't get builds from 3rd party developers. COD is not their product, it's Activision's. How would he know how their products performed if they don't give him the information? And why would they provide them builds and chance leaks if they are not obligated to?

I'm not saying that there isn't PR speak in this, but it seems kinda silly to think that a company like MS does quality control on games that they are not funding. How many games come out for these systems that are just absolute garbage? Tons. MS and Sony don't care if they aren't funding them because they only gain if the product sells well. If COD sells like ass on the Xbox one, it will still sell like hotcakes on the 360 and MS will still make a ton of money off of licensing fees, but Activision will eat the development cost associated with the XB1 version.

Honestly I doubt that both MS and Sony really care how much these games sell on their new systems. They already have a huge established user bases with the current consoles (360, PS3) that will make them tons more money than the early adopters will. The big focus on the new consoles will be a year or two out.

Knuf

This thread totally reminded me of this song:
Radiohead - Idioteque

Who’s in a bunker?
Who’s in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I’ll laugh until my head comes off
I’ll swallow till I burst
Until I burst

Ice age coming
Ice age coming
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both
Ice age coming
Ice age coming
Throw it on the fire
Throw it on the fire

We’re not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening
We’re not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening
Mobiles skwrking
Mobiles chirping
Take the money run
Take the money run

Thom Yorke is CBoaT, confirmed.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its just strange to me. Its not like the Xbox One is actually some pitifully weak system. Yes, its weaker than the PS4, but its still massively better than the current gen consoles and they have games that show it.

Oh well. Not like I'm gonna be playing it anyway. shrugs

Damn Jack Nicholson looks (and acts) like Trevor from GTA. I'm guessing the Shining was what inspired the character?

I was kind of hoping they'd have a character like William from Falling Down in the game.

600full-falling-down-poster.jpg

Its just strange to me. Its not like the Xbox One is actually some pitifully weak system. Yes, its weaker than the PS4, but its still massively better than the current gen consoles and they have games that show it.

Oh well. Not like I'm gonna be playing it anyway. shrugs

Maybe it has to doo with the overhead of Kinect / OS apps, or maybe it's just the dev environment is not mature enough and tools and drivers are not optimized enough.

There is absolutely no reason to pick up an Xbox One at launch. There will be price-drops within a year or two. Unless you *really* want Titanfall and don't have a powerful PC to run it.

Jburton

Banned
to me, it wasn't enough.

You can see my reasons on this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87124111&postcount=4278

Well, the PC version is rumored to have better textures. The PS4 version being 1080p doesn't really put it in equal footing, but it's nice to hear.

The reason am I am a bit skeptical towards the PS4 version being 1080p is because I now believe the Xb1's one is really 720p. I know the PS4 is indeed more powerful, but not that much. If it's really true, this game is a even more lazy effort by the publisher(not really blaming the devs) than I previously believed.

PS4 graphics chip is a vastly better GPU and with one big pool a fast RAM, in graphics and RAM ...... it is significantly more powerful.

SpartanN92

Banned
define "this"?

because I see a bunch of people, with memberships to a gaming site, laughing about yet another ms fumble. which has been status quo since reveal.

I think I get what he means...when both systems do well it generates competition. Competition is great for consumers.

To see one group (ms) blunder this way is in the end bad for everyone.
He is also referring to how stupid fan boy wars are...why should you be happy because someone else's product isn't quite as good?

Watched the second video on ign. This game is troubling the xbox one?

Sony should be sending the Christmas bonus early to Guerrilla Games for optimising 60fps online, giving them the best looking online FPS this year.

iMax

What does interest me though is Xbox's position in the next few years. This shit is gonna perpetuate throughout the next-generation, and no matter how much of a deal it really is or isn't, the perception is obviously there.

To me, that suggests an internal change of plan for Microsoft and a shorter lifespan for Xbox One.

I think we'll see a fourth Xbox sooner than we think, because of situations like this.

Hopefully next time Microsoft will get Allard consulting as LSA, like Sony did with Cerny.

SpartanN92

Banned
What does interest me though is Xbox's position in the next few years. This shit is gonna perpetuate throughout the next-generation, and no matter how much of a deal it really is or isn't, the perception is obviously there.

To me, that suggests an internal change of plan for Microsoft and a shorter lifespan for Xbox One.

I think we'll see a fourth Xbox sooner than we think, because of situations like this.

Hopefully next time Microsoft will get Allard consulting as LSA, like Sony did with Cerny.

GOOD! 5 years max. This 8 year shit has been ridiculous. Bad for the industry and gamers. Has led to massively stagnating game sales, lay offs, and studio closures.

scoobs

I'm heavily invested in Microsoft IP, like Halo, Alan Wake, Gears, etc... so nothing will stop me buying an Xbox One, that's for sure.

However, after this likely revelation (and countless others), the PS4 is looking to be the multiplat lead console in my house.

Gears isn't microsoft IP, and Alan Wake's developers are busy with Quantum Break... so you're buying it for Halo. It truly is amazing the power the Halo IP holds. I have a feeling when Halo 5 comes out that shits gonna move some SERIOUS console sales

Lower resolution, worse frame-rates and generally worse performance for most third party games didn't bother Sony, why would it bother MS?

Seanspeed

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;87128104 said:
There is absolutely no reason to pick up an Xbox One at launch. There will be price-drops within a year or two. Unless you *really* want Titanfall and don't have a powerful PC to run it.
Or you want Forza. Or you want Ryse. Or you want Dead Rising 3. Or you want Killer Instinct.

Just sayin....

Rhindle

Maybe it has to doo with the overhead of Kinect / OS apps, or maybe it's just the dev environment is not mature enough and tools and drivers are not optimized enough.
Mostly this. We were hearing as recently as a few weeks ago that the development environment was still performing poorly. They've been scrambling to release new iterations, but performance gains were lagging. Basically, we have a complex/unorthodox architecture, without mature tools to support it.

SpartanN92

Banned
Gears isn't microsoft IP, and Alan Wake's developers are busy with Quantum Break... so you're buying it for Halo. It truly is amazing the power the Halo IP holds. I have a feeling when Halo 5 comes out that shits gonna move some SERIOUS console sales

That's pretty much what Halo 3 did...vast majority of my friends didn't upgrade till H3. They rationalized "Halo 2 still works on original Xbox."

It's a fucking great ip.

I cannot wait to see what Halo 5 has in store.

scoobs

Lower resolution, worse frame-rates and generally worse performance for most third party games didn't bother Sony, why would it bother MS?
Difference being the ps3/360 versions were pretty damn close and sometimes in the favor of ps3. We were debating the difference between 720p no AA vs 720p 2x MSAA and stuff like that. Maybe ps3 version was not stable 30 and the 360 was a solid 30 frames. If the difference is as vast as 1080p 60 vs 720p 60 ... i mean, that is a significant difference right there.

Or you want Forza. Or you want Ryse. Or you want Dead Rising 3. Or you want Killer Instinct.

Just sayin....

Well, that is true. Forza has a very loyal fanbase. I don't see a single reason why anybody would want Ryse badly enough to buy the console for it, though.

Dead Rising 3 is the only exclusive out of that bunch that I'm going to miss.

iMax

You're right about the IP ownership but they're still likely to remain exclusive. And yes, I've been a devoted Halo fan since day one on Xbox OG. You're right about the affinity people hold for it. The new Halo game and the TV series will keep me tied to Xbox as long as it takes.

Because it's bothering consumers, right here, right now. Look at how far this thread has gone. It seems to be a much bigger deal this time round.

Goku

Banned

The reason it didn't bother Sony was because people chose not to care about it. No way in hell will they be tolerant with MS.

Riky

$MSFT
Surely the X1 is several times more powerful than 360 which itself isn't far away from 720p at 60fps, I can only think that the leaks about the dev tools being far behind PS4 were very true and this is the result. Since this has been the longest console generation ever it boggles the mind that so much is being delayed or released half baked.

dejay

Banned
As suspected, my multi-platform platform of choice will be PS4, barring something drastic. Controller preference probably won't be a deciding factor like it is this gen.

Still, I'm getting both. I'm actually looking forward to Kinect and some other stuff. Mind you, I have more money than sense (and I don't have that much money). I'll leave you girls to fight it out.

Difference being the ps3/360 versions were pretty damn close and sometimes in the favor of ps3. We were debating the difference between 720p no AA vs 720p 2x MSAA and stuff like that. Maybe ps3 version was not stable 30 and the 360 was a solid 30 frames. If the difference is as vast as 1080p 60 vs 720p 60 ... i mean, that is a significant difference right there.

Pretty damn close? Maybe after a number of years.
My point is that it probably won't matter to MS in the long run so long as they are getting all third titles.

Just as it didn't really bother Sony...

RulkezX

So losing all that market share didn't bother them ?

Sony salvaged what they could and it wasn't a total disaster , but it did have an affect , especially on software units sold.

Marvel

could never
So... if I'm not mistaken the footage we saw on IGN was PS4 right? and it looked like ass, I take it the lower resolution Xbox One version is.

Even fucking worse?

Seanspeed

Banned
Mostly this. We were hearing as recently as a few weeks ago that the development environment was still performing poorly. They've been scrambling to release new iterations, but performance gains were lagging. Basically, we have a complex/unorthodox architecture, without mature tools to support it.
Do you expect this to improve significantly over time or do you think its just borked?

Look, I get some people claim such amazing eyesight as to be able to instantly distinguish native vs. upscaled when you're in a room watching and enjoying a game demo, despite the fact that it requires normal people access to a direct feed screenshot with very particular sections zoomed up 8x to pixel count, while also making sure you're accounting for other intentional environmental effects that may blur or otherwise impact the image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680289&highlight=pixel+counting

But hey, if you're saying you can tell the difference with enough accuracy to make a public disclosure about it, just by watching someone play the game, then I say wow.

I've seen a bunch of other 3rd party games running at various times, and I can't tell you the *native* resolutions of those either.

So me, I'm not making that claim. I'm sorry if you think that's a job requirement.

Are you joking?
I don't mean to be rude but do you know what direct feed is? It seems you don't since you act like watching a game live on the tv the console is connected to is not exactly the same as watching direct feed footage.
direct feed means an image from the framebuffer as it is presented to the tv, so watching it on the tv connected to the console is the same thing as direct feed.

It's very easy to tell when a game is not native resolution, it becomes blurry from the scaling. Most people (anyone with normal eyesight and anyone who isn't in denial about the prescription they need for glasses) can see this instantly

Being able to tell if a game is 720p upscaled or a bit lower or a bit higher? sure that needs pixel counting to know the exact resolution, but being able to see if something isn't native res? that is very easy.

Because Sony had the superior hardware and these problems were eventually solved through developer effort.

No developer effort can make Xbone go as fast as PS4, it's just weaker hardware. Every effort they make to squeeze something extra out of the Xbone will likely go an extra mile with the PS4 as well. It will always be a moving target to catch up with.

Xbone is fucked.

Daffy Duck

Just What the actual Eff is going on.

It's a worrying precedent to a start of a new generation, one that makes me think twice about blindly dropping that amount of money on something totally unseen.

I think the safer be for me is PS4 first, see what happens at the start with reviews/tech analysis from DF/GAF and go from there.

It's just ludicrous for me to drop £430 on something that could be troubled at the start.

This could just be developing on too many platforms again cross gen and not enough time to work out the problems, the next CoD could be great on X1, but to play this version for 12 months if true? I'm not sure I can knowing there is a better version available on PS4.

scoobs

Pretty damn close? Maybe after a number of years.
My point is that it probably won't matter to MS in the long run so long as they are getting all third titles.

Just as it didn't really bother Sony...

Were ps3 multiplats significantly worse the first few years? Refresh my memory... i dont feel like they were much different but maybe? This generation sure has been a long one I honestly can't even think of old multiplat games to compare.

Irregardless, there wasn't as drastic a difference between ps3/360 versions and this rumor of 1080p/720p. That is a GIANT gap. Almost generational, considering 360 games have been native 720p since basically launch in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom