• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Run the Jewels 3 - Released Christmas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoritomo

Feel like I want to get into a fistfight after listening to Kill your Masters. The intensity from Zack out of the last verse is just phenomenal.

I'm seeing these guys in Philly on Wednesday. I hope Mike has been on his speed walking regimen. He did a lot of nimble stuff on this album.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This album crept up on me. I was ready to say it's the weakest of the trilogy on first listen, and I HATED Danny Brown, having not heard him before.

Now I'm thinking it's as strong as RTJ2, and I have Atrocity Exhibition on constant rotation.

G.O.L.D.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn, 1:26 and onwards on Stay Gold is godly, how the guitar bit comes in

o8Trp31.png

Still discovering things on this album. Also 2100 is so good, it's a fucking anthem

yeah sorry fellas, I can't get into that Danny Brown track. It's pretty decent until he starts going...and then I have to shut it off. No bueno.

CoolOff

This album crept up on me. I was ready to say it's the weakest of the trilogy on first listen, and I HATED Danny Brown, having not heard him before.

Now I'm thinking it's as strong as RTJ2, and I have Atrocity Exhibition on constant rotation.

G.O.L.D.

Welcome to the dark side.

Now go listen to XXX.

akileese

GUYS! My fiancé just bought me tickets to the Tampa concert for our 3 year anniversary!

Holy shit, I'm so hyped.

They're so fucking good live. The atmosphere is amazing.

As for order, I'll go 3>2>1 but the difference between 3 and 2 to me is razor thin. Every time I listen to 3 I find something more I like about it. It flows so well, the tracks are awesome and the message is incredibly powerful. It's just so god damn good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

As for order, I'll go 3>2>1 but the difference between 3 and 2 to me is razor thin. Every time I listen to 3 I find something more I like about it. It flows so well, the tracks are awesome and the message is incredibly powerful. It's just so god damn good.

I'm currently in the 3>1>2 camp. 3 is the best in every aspect (production & lyrics). Then 1 because it has more of my favorites like Sea Legs and Job Well Done. Difference is minimal, but I definitely prefer 1 over 2.

Sucks that I have to wait so long to see them live. June 1st at the earliest if I decide to go to Primavera. I also hope they're going to do a full European tour later.

Ninhead

Seeing them in Cleveland on Saturday. Don't know that I've been this hyped for a show in my entire life.

2>3>1, but "Sea Legs" is the fucking banger.

Seeing them in Cleveland on Saturday. Don't know that I've been this hoped for a show in my entire life.

2>3>1, but "Sea Legs" is the fucking banger.

I GOT SEAAA LEGSSS

First 20 or so listens I was 2>3>1 because I think the highs of 2 are a touch better than the highs of 3.

But damn there are like 3 times as many highs on 3. Gotta be 3>2>1. It's incredible how much chemistry these guys have together.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's not a single track on this album I skip when listening, every single track is dope as fuck. A huge feat because I can hardly think of any other album without any skippable tracks.

robotrock

Banned
There's not a single track on this album I skip when listening, every single track is dope as fuck. A huge feat because I can hardly think of any other album without any skippable tracks.

For a Run the Jewels album, I think that's pretty big too. 1 and 2 both have some inconsistencies that I like to skip

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
They kicked off their tour, anyone who went to the Philadelphia show? Impressions of any show in the US tour are always welcome!

They kicked off their tour, anyone who went to the Philadelphia show? Impressions of any show in the US tour are always welcome!

I went! I saw them on the first tour (where they actually played separate solo sets before RTJ!), but missed them on the RTJ2 tour. I drove up from DC, and it was pretty amazing honestly. Apparently the show sold out quickly.

They were really confident, leading with the RTJ3 material and skipping some obvious fan favorites like Sea Legs and DDFH. It was pretty sick though. Call Ticketron went over big, that deep bass shook the whole room. They opened with Talk to Me which is probably my favorite new track. They also played the DJ Shadow track "Nobody Speak" which got people really hype.

The opening acts were shit, meh.

rugioh

Banned
They were supposed to play last night in DC but the venue's sprinklers didn't work, so the fire department cancelled the show. Great

that Danny Brown verse is sick tho

How can you tell? I need a translator for that dude's shit. I think I can make out "xanax", "killer mike" and "el-p" in Bumaye then everything else sounds like three cats dying.

His verse on Oh Hail No is much better, because it kind of sounds like the language I speak.

LosDaddie

Banned
This album is fantastic. I'm hesitant to put it on par with RTJ2 because that album is near perfection in my eyes, but damn RTJ3 reaches the same highs as RTJ2 did. Back-to-back hits for sure.

Easily the AOTY for me. An album I'll be bumping all of 2017. I had kept my expectations in check, and this album exceeded them.

Also, has there been any backlash towards Killer Mike for this album yet? I know some people were angry that he didn't fall in line and instead supported Sanders. Funny stuff.

Pittsburgh show was incredible!!!

Awesome! Glad to hear you liked it.

I bought my bro tickets (Christmas present) for the show next week here in Orlando. I'm so excited.

That poster is sick. Going to give this a first listen tonight.

Oh god, you're in for a treat.

This album is fantastic. I'm hesitant to put it on par with RTJ2 because that album is near perfection in my eyes, but damn RTJ3 reaches the same highs as RTJ2 did. Back-to-back hits for sure.

Easily the AOTY for me. An album I'll be bumping all of 2017. I had kept my expectations in check, and this album exceeded them.

Yeah, I can't stop listening to it. One step away from getting it direct injected into my veins.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I learned how to drive (waaaaay late on this) and this was my first choice to play in the car...so good

My ride to work is Talk to Me => Hey Kids and it does way more than coffee to wake me. People must think I'm crazy when they see me going nuts behind the wheel

Anybody going to the concert this saturday in Atlanta? Was able to get a (relatively) cheap ticket. El-P is one of my top 5 dead of alive so it was a little pricey but 100% worth it.

Juicy Bob

Just listened to this for the first time. My first experience actually sitting down and giving RTJ a try.

Holy shit. I hate myself for not taking the time to listen to these guys before now. Shit is phenomenal.

Joe

I've only listened to RTJ 3 (which is really great) but I really love RTJ just for their collaborations with Zack. We need more music from him and it seems RTJ lit a creative spark in him.

Pickman

Sorry to bump, but I wanted to tell you guys that if you have the opportunity to catch them on the Run The World tour, fucking do it.

Best rap show I've ever seen last night. Crazy energy, good crowd, just madness.

NotLiquid

I think I had an eureka moment with the album the other day. I already loved it before but something about listening to it yesterday with all the crazy shit going on as of late, everything about it just fell into place. It clicked so beautifully.

Down is usually considered something of a lesser track on this album. I've mentioned earlier in the thread that I liked it but now I feel like it is just absolutely essential to the narrative. The album is easily their most politically charged, and Down feels like a prelude to that. It's a moment of vulnerability, just recounting where RTJ are at this point in their career, who they are, what they stand for - a build up before Talk To Me begins the continuous barrage until the very end. I didn't quite realize how Thursday In The Danger Room just got to me on every level when I actually thought about it this time as well as the losses I've personally experienced, and how A Report To The Shareholders / Kill Your Masters is a double take of the doubts that El and Mike may have before going out in a blaze of glory in a most magnificent fashion.

I think what's quaint about this album is that for being so conscious about these trying times, Killer Mike and El-P know that they can't second guess in their convictions - in pumping themselves up with their boisterous bravado they have the confidence to put out a voice that actually means something, and in spite of these small moments of introspection they know that they can't relent. That and, I just love how this is the album that finally solidifies how Mike and El have become more than just friends. They're practically family.

Turn around, see El, and I smile
Hell coming, and we got about a mile
Until it's over I remain hostile

It's the perfect conclusion.

pablito

Damn. Slept on the tickets to the Oakland show since I spent a ton of money in December. Should have just bought the tickets, oh well :(

I've warmed up to the album a bit, but I'm still 1 > 2 > 3. All the albums are 8/10 at least, though.

LosDaddie

Banned
Sorry to bump, but I wanted to tell you guys that if you have the opportunity to catch them on the Run The World tour, fucking do it.

Best rap show I've ever seen last night. Crazy energy, good crowd, just madness.

You went to the Tampa show?

I saw RTJ here in Orlando on Monday. Great concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom