• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Run the Jewels 3 - Released Christmas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

I honestly think Stay Gold is my favorite song just because of how El changes the beat to that super dope guitar shit when Mike spits.

Toparaman

Banned
Waited so long for this. Listened to RTJ1 and 2 so many times.

So far really liking it. El-P continues being an amazing producer, and Killer Mike continues being one of the best MCs alive.

Not

Banned
This album is exactly what I need right now. This lyric from A Report to the Shareholders

can’t contain the disdain for y’all demons, you talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible, and I drink like a vulcan losing all faith in the logical, I will not be confused for docile I’m free motherfuckers I’m hostile.

is like poetry to me

number11

Finally listening to this on my good headphones (compared with stock apple ones). This is like listening to a completely different album.

Toparaman

Banned
Listened twice through and my general feeling is that it doesn't go as deep as RTJ2. It's a bit more surface-level lyrically and sonically, like their debut album. This is a solid album for sure, but I feel like RTJ2 captured the turbulence of America in 2014, and RTJ3 doesn't quite do that. An ideal follow-up would go even darker than RTJ2, given the way things have gone since, but instead RTJ3 is more like Mike and El taking a victory lap in light of their own careers rapidly taking off.

I'm not saying they've sold out or anything like that. It's more like they've made the equivalent of a AC/DC or Slayer album: more of the same, and not quite as striking as it was the first time around.

Maybe my feelings will change with further listens, since I was doing other stuff while listening.

Kill Your Masters is the El-P I like the most. It all begins with gloomy buzzing synths we all know El from. The out of nowhere this running beat gets going like we are chasing something or something is chasing us. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Next stop: El's "dusty but digital" dominion. From there the rest of the track is just a beautiful composition with drums, organs, buzz and horns. Fuck.

cheezcake

Never sir!
Honestly though, he does the exact same thing on Oh Hail No from El-p's album Cancer 4 Cure. At least he's kind enough to put it at the end of good songs so you know when to skip.

Haha I do get that it's divisive, my friend can't stand him either but I think it works really well in doses, especially with el-p's production style.

Danny Brown is one of my favs but for some reason, I'm not crazy about him on "Hey Kids".

Same. For some reason his verse sounds so low quality. Like he recorded it on a phone or something. The mixing of his vocals just sounds off.

That said, I can see the criticism. It took me a while to get into Danny Brown. Hey Kids is one of my fav songs on the album and Danny Brown elevates it for me

Danny Brown is amazing but he seems like he's lyrically on autopilot with Hey Kids.

(I think he had kind of a weird and slow verse on Oh Hail No that brought it down too).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I checked out Atrocity Exhibition because of his guest appearance here and the album is flatout incredible. Samples/beats are crazy. From 'Really Doe' til the end, the album... goes places.

Even if you don't like his voice, try out that album anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom