• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Run the Jewels 3 - Released Christmas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out Atrocity Exhibition because of his guest appearance here and the album is flatout incredible. Samples/beats are crazy. From 'Really Doe' til the end, the album... goes places.

Even if you don't like his voice, try out that album anyway.

the instrumental behind "dance in the water" is just crazy. no other hip hop/rap artist would ever be interested in rapping over that, but danny brown thought it would be cool and man was he right.

Pickman

Just downloaded it. Listening at work on my last day. Old lady across the hall from me looks confused.

Fuck headphones, I'm never coming back.

the instrumental behind "dance in the water" is just crazy. no other hip hop/rap artist would ever be interested in rapping over that, but danny brown thought it would be cool and man was he right.

Can say the same for Pneumonia, which sounds like a monastery! XD Or When It Rains, which has some of the best hip hop beats I've ever heard. It's a sample from one of the most obscure electronica artists, Delia Derbyshire.

Clipping also has a knack for rapping over unconventional beats. Like a bloody alarm clock.

Danny Brown is amazing but he seems like he's lyrically on autopilot with Hey Kids.

(I think he had kind of a weird and slow verse on Oh Hail No that brought it down too).

Oh Hail No was the first time I heard him, and I had no interest in his solo stuff after that. Then when I actually listened to his solo stuff, I thought it was amazing. Maybe he just doesn't sound good over El-Ps production? You would think this wouldn't be the case with the wonky shit he raps over though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I get that feeling with multiple songs. Most of the tracks have this unique sound, and even without rapping it'd make for a great record. The intros to Ain't it Funny and Golddust... lawd. Also, the guests fit really well, like B-Real in Get Hi.

Blown away by the album tbh.

Can't believe RTJ released this for free. On my first go through but I think I dig this a lot more than RTJ2. I think it's just much more musically engaging. Heard good things about Atrocity Exhibition but this was pretty much the first time I'd ever heard Danny Brown. Does he sound like that in all of his albums?

hydruxo

Danny Brown might just have the most annoying voice I have ever heard. Like, song ruiningly annoying.

His voice just takes a while to get used to (granted he's still not going to be for everyone). I used to hate his voice years ago and it took me ages to come around to it. His new album is one of the best rap albums of the year. He's great.

Can't believe RTJ released this for free. On my first go through but I think I dig this a lot more than RTJ2. I think it's just much more musically engaging. Heard good things about Atrocity Exhibition but this was pretty much the first time I'd ever heard Danny Brown. Does he sound like that in all of his albums?

Yeah, he pretty much sounds the same in everything. He has a very nasally voice and it's something that puts alot of people off at first. Definitely check out Atrocity Exhibition. If anything the production is incredible even if you don't care for Danny.

see5harp

Danny Brown doesn't always do his voice but I do agree that it takes a little effort to get past for some. Based on some of the comments it seems people have issue getting over El's vocals too. I feel like he's more "listenable" than he's ever been both production wise and with his cadence. In his first prime, a straightforward song and verse like "Thursday in the danger room" would be looked at like a pop song. That shit hard as fuck though.

Pickman

....fuck me I just bought it for 8 bucks on Amazon. Ah well. ^5 RTJ

Same. For some reason his verse sounds so low quality. Like he recorded it on a phone or something. The mixing of his vocals just sounds off.

That said, I can see the criticism. It took me a while to get into Danny Brown. Hey Kids is one of my fav songs on the album and Danny Brown elevates it for me

Yeah, there's something very grating about the mix itself.

This album is soooooooooo good for lifting / working out btw

Yessss, gonna listen to it at the gym this evening.

Can say the same for Pneumonia, which sounds like a monastery! XD Or When It Rains, which has some of the best hip hop beats I've ever heard. It's a sample from one of the most obscure electronica artists, Delia Derbyshire.

Clipping also has a knack for rapping over unconventional beats. Like a bloody alarm clock.

Man, those beats are so cool but I just cannot get past his voice. Which is my failing of course. Least he's doing interesting shit.

His voice just takes a while to get used to (granted he's still not going to be for everyone). I used to hate his voice years ago and it took me ages to come around to it. His new album is one of the best rap albums of the year. He's great.

Yeah, he pretty much sounds the same in everything. He has a very nasally voice and it's something that puts alot of people off at first. Definitely check out Atrocity Exhibition. If anything the production is incredible even if you don't care for Danny.

Oh wow, haha. I thought it might have been just some grating tone he was just affecting for the track. I'll probably check out a few samples on YT at least.

Ok yeah, 3 is really growing on me. Did a double take when El spits "notice me senpai" on Oh Mama LOL

see5harp

Yea on top of the subject matter the beats are way past digestable on his latest. There are few tracks that he raps in his natural voice though.

Man, I don't listen to music anymore. There's been dozens of albums from my favorite artists I've missed over the past years. I'd heard of RTJ years ago and never got around to listening to them. So I clicked on Call Ticketron and I realized I've really been missing out.

Feels terrible and great to be enjoying this so much right now, when I haven't even heard their first two albums.

Cmagus

Man, I don't listen to music anymore. There's been dozens of albums from my favorite artists I've missed over the past years. I'd heard of RTJ years ago and never got around to listening to them. So I clicked on Call Ticketron and I realized I've really been missing out.

Feels terrible and great to be enjoying this so much right now, when I haven't even heard their first two albums.

You owe it to yourself to listen to the first two albums they are amazing. Listen to them all back to back it's a hell of an experience, they hit so hard.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Finally got around to listening to this.

Fuck, the production on this is just a nonstop assault. I had nutted by Call Tickertron and El-P just kept sucking D:

I actually felt relief when I first heard Killer Mike on the opening, like a big exhale from how tense 2016 was. I didn't realise how much I need them right now. Favourite tracks at the moment are 2100 and Everybody Stay Calm.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
BigQuint going appropriately apeshit in his review.

During Ticketron he goes "Is this real? Is this real life?"

I need me a gif of that.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
<3 Danny Brown. Atrocity Exhibition is one of my favorite albums of 2016, so I'm glad to see him on the rtj album. Love his voice; there are not many rapping like him and I typically will listen to anything he's on.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BigQuint going appropriately apeshit in his review.

During Ticketron he goes "Is this real? Is this real life?"

I need me a gif of that.

His reaction to the shareholders/kill your masters transition was also great. Most of that vid is gif material, damn (well, not the noodle-eating)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Yes, pretty much - with few exceptions. Atrocity Exhibition is arguably his best album (though some will still prefer XXX), but I feel that his voice and production mesh so well on AE that it deserves to be heard even if you're not the biggest fan of Danny Brown's presentation.

joelseph

Everybody Stay Calm is the standout

interpretation-i-dont-even-know-what-think-anymore.jpg

Just got round to listening to this yesterday, and i have been blown away by the quality of this record. EL-P has stepped his game on the production, his flow and verses. Mike is on point as ever.

Favourite track so far is panther like a panther.

I need to see these guys live.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Think I'm about 10 listens in and well... "we dropped a classic today" seems pretty accurate. The first half is all bangers, but then in the second half come the songs with the best lyrics like Thieves! and Danger Room. Even the bangers are on par or better than 1/2. In all categories they only got better and gave us their most consistent album yet.

I wasn't that wild about 2100 at first, but it really needs the context of the entire album to grow. Now it's one of my favorite tracks.

Just got round to listening to this yesterday, and i have been blown away by the quality of this record. EL-P has stepped his game on the production, his flow and verses. Mike is on point as ever.

Favourite track so far is panther like a panther.

I need to see these guys live.

I saw Killer Mike live when he toured for RAP Music and that was already great, this year I'm hoping to go to Barcelona to finally see them live.

mikelink

God damn what a fantastic album. Bangers all the way through and Call Tickerton is fucking FIRE man.

Begging your pardon, Run The Jewels Live from the Garden

spock

Best album I heard in a long time, serious. The more I listen the more I dig it and pick up TONS of nuances and layers. Also Danny Brown does the track justice, dont get the hate. His voice works on this track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom