• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Run the Jewels 3 - Released Christmas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Banned
What a damn solid album. I don't know what I like more this or RTJ2 but some of these songs hit hard. I need to give it some more listens but my god it's so good. Also The Needle Drop will be teaming up with BigQuint to review this which should be pretty awesome.

Ugh. Big Quint is too good to be doing videos with Fantano.

BenjiGAF

RTJ has become my favorite rap group in like 5 songs. This new album is disgustingly good. I need to see them live

Wow, Down kinda had me worried at first that this would be just ok but once Legend Has It comes on and through Kill Your Masters the album goes off. Most consistent and engaging album they've put out so far wow.

MattyG

Banned
Finished this and listened to 1 and 2 last night for the first time. Goddamn. I immediately found a cheap copy of 1 on ebay, hunted 2 down at a record shop and preordered 3. Gotta have them in the collection, I don't think there was a single track that I wanted to skip or even thought was "meh".

Fuck Fantano
What's wrong with Fantano? (Genuine question, I've only seen a few of his videos and only became aware of him recently).

Nabbed the album because free figuring I could delete if I didn't like. I'm not really a fan of rap.

But shit, this is some good music! Glad I grabbed it.

BeeDog

This album is seriously good. It doesn't have any super-memorable tracks like the previous two albums, aside from perhaps "Panther Like A Panther", but I'm finding this one to be much more consistent. A bigger plus, if you ask me. The production is also much rougher and improved this time around, and the general sounds remind me of the type of glitch-hip-hop instrumental music that's becoming more prevalent, like Bleep Bloop/G Jones/DJ Shadow's never stuff etc.

blackflag

I really thought and was happy Tribe was my AOTY. Being my favorite rap group since Midnight Marauders was released.

But lol damn I think this is better. It's close for me though. Every track is fire and as good as they were before this is another level.

What's wrong with Fantano? (Genuine question, I've only seen a few of his videos and only became aware of him recently).

FgaD1dz.png

Fantano dabbles with 'anti-feminist' voices but on the whole it comes through that he's definitely a liberal and has his head in the right place. You can tell he feels that the left is encroaching upon his perception of artistic freedom through criticism, which while absurd, doesn't in my view make someone Satan.

You can't literally exorcise every person who disagrees with the slightest of progressives values. I was once super anti-feminist, the kinda guy who reads /r/tumblrinaction. If people on the left just exiled me from their world I wouldn't suddenly come over to their side, If anything I would be pigeonholed and double-down on my beliefs. It was through the education of some people, the encouragement to open up my mind, through good-will that I matured and became an advocate for social justice.

http://skepticlawyer.com.au/2016/12/18/how-the-rhetoric-of-denunciation-distorts-public-affairs-2/

Anyway I hope Fantano revises his end of yr list for this to claim its rightful spot as the literal of GOAY

I saw RTJ shortly after the first album came out as an afternoon act at a festival. The show was amazing but I distinctly remember how they were wearing some fake gold chains. They were talking about how they were going to get big enough to upgrade to real gold chains. It's pretty cool looking at the progression of the album covers and remembering them talking about it years ago.

I also got a picture with Mike because he's the coolest.

What a damn solid album. I don't know what I like more this or RTJ2 but some of these songs hit hard. I need to give it some more listens but my god it's so good. Also The Needle Drop will be teaming up with BigQuint to review this which should be pretty awesome.

They've got two completely different review styles, I wonder how it will play out. Personally, if I don't get too see Quint shaking his ass around like a damned fool then I'm not happy.

Haha my first close listen now that family/holidays aren't there to distract and I noticed that "Oooh, Yeah!" sample everyone remembers from every 90s dance track creeping around on Call Ticketron. El-P you sneaky fuck for making me bob to that for the first time since I was a teenager.

I always gotta give albums a few listens before I can make sense of it and get a good feel of it.

I'd like to listen to the entire album but can't stop listening to Thieves.

I love that everyone has different tracks they love the most, shows the album puts in work.

I got a Dragonfly Black USB DAC / Amp for Christmas and am getting a pair of Audio Technica M40Xs with pad mods as my Christmas gift to myself for my new mobile audio setup.

Blastin' Panther Like a Panther to test the setup out when they arrive.

Album so good.

J@hranimo

Banned

Wait wtf he doesn't need Fantano.

Finally listened to this album this morning. What a banger, man... Seriously, one of the best records I've heard this year, or even last year too. Everything is so solid and has real weight to it. It has fantastic instrumentals and the lyrics are some of the best I've heard.

Let me also say, for the record, that I don't listen to a ton of hip hop, but these guys always put out great music. Definitely better than all of the other hip hop I've listened to this year.

pablito

Just finished my first listen. Wasn't as big a fan of this one compared to the first two. I dunno, the beats weren't as memorable for me. Maybe I'll come around after a couple listens, we'll see.

Oh Mama was my favorite.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lyrics-wise Thieves! is my favorite so far. Love the imagery in there

I don't know much about science
But I seen an army of armed men stop and get quiet
Mist hung low like a prayer from a tyrant
Sky became black like the stars aren't aligning
So many years of this violence
Now we're surrounded by the souls of the dead and defiant
Saying "Look what you've done, you designed it"
When the bough breaks, hear the wraith scream, "Riot!"

And Zach sounds really pissed in the last verse of Kill Your Masters.

This album is incredible on all fronts.

Also, this is important

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Killer Mike praying that his friend's killer will right his wrongs and learn from his mistakes instead of calling for retaliation ;__; dude...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sitting here in awe. This album is incredible. Wow.

I said goddamn when "A Report to the Shareholders" transitions into "Kill Your Master". So fucking good.

Negaduck

Sitting here in awe. This album is incredible. Wow.

I said goddamn when "A Report to the Shareholders" transitions into "Kill Your Master". So fucking good.

Same for me with the transition from legend to tickerton.

"And the crowd goes. . . 'RTJ!' 'RTJ!' 'RTJ!' "

soooooo good. And that Orson Wells line? You I fucks with a war of the world's reference

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Same for me with the transition from legend to tickerton.

"And the crowd goes. . . 'RTJ!' 'RTJ!' 'RTJ!' "

soooooo good. And that Orson Wells line? You I fucks with a war of the world's reference

haha yep! absolutely love that shit. can't stop listening to this album.

thread title should be updated too!

Killer Mike praying that his friend's killer will right his wrongs and learn from his mistakes instead of calling for retaliation ;__; dude...

Fucking heartbreaking.

I've been listening to this album non stop my god.

Panther like a panther
Theives
Call ticketron
Thursday in the danger room
Kill your masters

Man my face lit up when I heard zack.

It's so great. I always get anxious when a new album from one of my favorite groups comes out, and I'm so worried it will disappoint me, but this album man A+.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"Kill Your Masters" is the deffest beat in human history.

Reminded me of Twin Hype Back a bit, which I still like more. As a song though KYM is better. Zack's furious verse is one hell of a closer.

So far the only two weaker tracks are Stay Gold and Everybody Stay Calm for me.

Reminded me of Twin Hype Back a bit, which I still like more. As a song though KYM is better. Zack's furious verse is one hell of a closer.

So far the only two weaker tracks are Stay Gold and Everybody Stay Calm for me.

Stay Gold has this Mark DeGli Antoni/Soul Coughing sampler thing all the way through that is my fucking EVERYTHING so NO CAN DO.

;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom