• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Run the Jewels 3 - Released Christmas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
El-P is still boasting the booming bravado that you sometimes need Genius to decipher.

"'Notice me, senpai!' they cry when I choke their speak" might be the most El-P line in any of these albums yet.

I like his lyrics actually. I wasn't saying he's bad or anything. It's just that I feel his delivery lacks personality compared to Mike. Maybe that's an unfair comparison though.

Speely

Banned
El-P has always been nasty on the mic. He is more accessible these days than in the Co Flo days, but he still tends to go a little far into some references for most, I guess. I personally liked his delivery even more when he used less traditional cadences, but he still kills it imo.

I think he has some great stuff on RTJ3. Of course Mike is just fire no matter what he does. Dude is a machine.

guise

Have been bumping this all day. So fucking good - what a Christmas present.

Doesn't seem to have as many stand-out bangers as the previous records, but the production and flows are still top tier.

At first I was a little disappointed that the original panther like a panther from the gears trailer didn't make it, but the remix is straight fire

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blasting through the house over Xmas is perfect. My mom just said "hey, turned that up", hahaha

MattyG

Banned
I've never listened to Run The Jewels before but um holy shit. From the first track I was in 100%, and that doesn't happen to me often. Goddamn.

chixdiggit

Been listening to this non stop on Spotify. Best RTJ album by far for me. Liked the first two but this is just something else.

Only managed one play through while my wife was trying to talk to me the entire time but Legend Has It is probably my favorite. I loved that song from the first time I heard it.

Obviously have to sit down and dedicate a listen though before I can really decide. Seems to be an overall good album for sure.

arab

a report to the shareholders/kill your masters

p0QHO.gif

First half of the album is starting to open up for me now. Standouts are still 2100, Panther like a Panther and the Report for the Shareholders.

NotLiquid

Yeah after letting it sink in I think I like this album way more than RTJ1 and RTJ2.

In terms of albums I always felt like I preferred the "vibe" of RTJ1 if that makes sense. As an album I thought it felt more like a "project" or experiment rather but the sounds had a playful audacity behind them. Tracks like DDFH, Twin Hype Back and A Christmas Fucking Miracle were generally the kind of tracks I liked more in terms of sound. Even though I preferred the sound of RTJ1, as a whole it didn't have the same consistency as RTJ2 would come to have where it felt like the band finally realized that El and Mike were onto something huge - so RTJ2 just pumped up the aggression and went for something dark. The general feeling of RTJ2 can be summed up by the opening lyrics of Oh My Darling. It was an album that in spite of RTJ's general self boisterous nature had it's lens zeroed in on taking down outside forces, I feel like that reflected in the sound - it's a better album even though I preferred what RTJ1 did in some individual tracks.

So it's kind of fitting how RTJ3 wraps it all up. It's a fitting end to this trilogy of albums where El and Mike have grown into realizing the potency and monstrosity of their collaboration. I feel like this is the album where they've finally gotten comfortable in their own skin. It makes the band musing about the interpretations of the album covers feel all the more apt. RTJ3 has them play themselves up in a glorified manner to show the end of a journey. Everything is more consistent, it feels also a lot more confident - something that I think reflects in the fact that they didn't open this album with a banger unlike the previous two albums. They're okay with letting this album brew because they've earned it, it has room to be just as pumped up as it has to be reflective. Tracks like Call Ticketron, Hey Kids, Panther Like A Panther and Thursday In The Danger Room shows how they're still not beyond experimenting with great results, and the collaborations on this album are easily the best ones they've got so far.

I think time will still tell how this album goes down but I'm fairly confident that this album will age fantastically as their most focused effort yet. I don't know how they keep getting away with this. RTJ is poised to have one of the best batting averages of any hip hop group right now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I still have to listen to it (a lot) more, but right now this could end up as their best yet.

Panther like a Panther is my favorite track at the moment. When the beat kicked in I was standing up walking around my house. Stopped dead in my tracks and started dancing like a fool.

Same here. First time I heard it I just stood up and started pacing. Favorite track atm

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
An eye for an eye, and a tooth for the tooth
Will leave us all mumbling and blind
So we stumble blind through depths of the dark
Looking for something divine
Life is a journey, to live is to suffer
And I have been suffering through mine
But living's a blessing so I ain't no stressing
'Cause some of my niggas ain't 'round
He got no drama but his baby mama is still on my line and she cryin'
I searched for the words to give her some comfort for her soul and spirit and mind
I tell her that it'll be fine
But deep down I know that I'm lying
The family came took rings and his chains
The bank took the house and the rights
The only thing left was his child, and she had a smile in his eyes
So much to the soul, when the grandmama kept her, she'd look at her sometime and cry
The very next day she cried
And day after day she cried
Then called baby mama and told her "I'm sorry, can't keep her no more, I have tried"
No killer was captured, but I know he listening
So I'd like to tell you in song
The streets was a jungle, I pray that you made it, I hope that you righted your wrongs
I hope that you learn, I hope that you changed so your mama won't know this pain
So my homie's name will mean something more than a nigga got killed for a chain

damn

El-P has always been nasty on the mic. He is more accessible these days than in the Co Flo days, but he still tends to go a little far into some references for most, I guess. I personally liked his delivery even more when he used less traditional cadences, but he still kills it imo.

I think he has some great stuff on RTJ3. Of course Mike is just fire no matter what he does. Dude is a machine.

I was gonna say the same thing. Did no one listen to Dr. Hellno?

I drank her bath water in a shot glass
Then ran my tongue up the crack of her ass
Til our future children hatched
The mushrooms had me seeing some sort of deep organic math
On some primal altered state sex, I felt connected to the past
Collapse, nasty, wet, wept into her neck
Suckling on her swollen nipples
Then I drifted into REM
Where I dreamt of little bouncing cherubs
With clit rings and sexy woodnymphs
And crotchless liederhosen begging to get bent

...I thought this came out in Jan. Now I'm traveling across country with my gf who doesn't much like hip-hop. Gonna twiddle my thumbs until I can get some alone time. Glad to hear it is a solid album.

Rixxan

An eye for an eye, and a tooth for the tooth
Will leave us all mumbling and blind
So we stumble blind through depths of the dark
Looking for something divine
Life is a journey, to live is to suffer
And I have been suffering through mine
But living's a blessing so I ain't no stressing
'Cause some of my niggas ain't 'round
He got no drama but his baby mama is still on my line and she cryin'
I searched for the words to give her some comfort for her soul and spirit and mind
I tell her that it'll be fine
But deep down I know that I'm lying
The family came took rings and his chains
The bank took the house and the rights
The only thing left was his child, and she had a smile in his eyes
So much to the soul, when the grandmama kept her, she'd look at her sometime and cry
The very next day she cried
And day after day she cried
Then called baby mama and told her "I'm sorry, can't keep her no more, I have tried"
No killer was captured, but I know he listening
So I'd like to tell you in song
The streets was a jungle, I pray that you made it, I hope that you righted your wrongs
I hope that you learn, I hope that you changed so your mama won't know this pain
So my homie's name will mean something more than a nigga got killed for a chain

damn

Truly truly beautiful

Cmagus

What a damn solid album. I don't know what I like more this or RTJ2 but some of these songs hit hard. I need to give it some more listens but my god it's so good. Also The Needle Drop will be teaming up with BigQuint to review this which should be pretty awesome.

hydruxo

What a damn solid album. I don't know what I like more this or RTJ2 but some of these songs hit hard. I need to give it some more listens but my god it's so good. Also The Needle Drop will be teaming up with BigQuint to review this which should be pretty awesome.

Normally not a fan of Fantano but that sounds like it could be pretty great. Big Quint cracks me up.

I listened to this album 3 times when I was driving to and from my parents house yesterday, and every time I unplugged my phone, SirusXMU was playing a track from the album.

I can't believe they did it again. Call Tickertron, Thursday in the Danger Room, and Legend Has It are my favorites right now.

Rixxan

Thursday in the danger zone captures anticipated loss with this earnest bravery that I appreciate on a pretty massive level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom