• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 cancelled for Europe

L~A

That was kind of my assumption.

If Neverland had some critical code that got lost as they shut down that MAQL didn't secure properly.

If this was the case, we would've known about much sooner (Neverland closed on Nov. 29th). And since there's already been a US release, I don't think the "critical code got lost" is a likely reason (besides, I think they would have mentionned it in the PR).

And I find it highly unlikely that Marvelous AQL didn't have a copy of the game's code with them. My guess is they just couldn't find anyone to publish the game in Europe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's terrible news.

I bought this game on a whim last week. It's my first Rune Factory experience, and it is an absolute joy. I'm hooked.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
it'd still need PAL conversion

Converting to what, incidentally? We're all 60HZ now on our screens, let alone this is a handheld device. eShop only releases make it even more absurd when fully translated stuff doesn't come over. If pirates can do it, so can you big ol' global corporation.

Wasn't particularly interested in this game, but sucks for fans. SMT4 is when shit really hits the fan though, and surely there's got to be a mention of whats going on there soon?

SigSig

iw81iusdxs0owurjyw.gif

danthefan

What costs exactly are associated with a digital only release?

This is infuriating, that in this day and age an entire continent misses out on a game. I was used to it back in the PSX era, but this is just daft. I love my 3DS but Nintendo just seem so backwards in some respects.

They can't even do a digital-only eShop release? Come on. That's far less risky than physical retail. They must not see any meaningful sales potential. Sad.
They need to do the following for an eShop release:
-License the US version complete with the translation. This might be the problem with the original developer dead or something.
-Change one byte in the header from America to PAL (maybe Nintendo are the ones to do this).
-Give it to NOE to go through the lot check (because the extensive change of one byte makes the NOA lot check invalid). This step is an unnecessary hassle.

Maybe for whatever reason that is not worth an eShop release. When you do a physical release you produce a load of copies and sell them to retailers. This is basically up-front cash. On the eShop you get a trickle of cash.

If it is a case of publishers and offices in Europe. Nippon Ichi Software America Europe seem to manage it (unless the name is a lie...if they had an European office I'd expect them to be NISE).

Audioboxer

As much as I'm enjoying my newly purchased 3DSXL, Nintendos region locking decisions really sour me on the system...

Peff

Converting to what, incidentally? We're all 60HZ now on our screens, let alone this is a handheld device. eShop only releases make it even more absurd when fully translated stuff doesn't come over. If pirates can do it, so can you big ol' global corporation.

Wasn't particularly interested in this game, but sucks for fans. SMT4 is when shit really hits the fan though, and surely there's got to be a mention of whats going on there soon?

Well, not in the sense of the good ol' huge black bars, but it'd still need work done for platforms with separate certification processes and, in the case of the 3DS, making it actually compatible with the European devices. Besides, with these kind of games that have different publishers for the US and Europe you often can't take the English version as a base and it has to be reworked from the Japanese by the original developer. In some cases we end up with brand new game-breaking bugs years after it's been released in the rest of the world.

I skipped RF3. Maybe this is a good time to find a cheap DS copy. I hate region locking as much as the next guy, but it's only truly tragic if/when SMTIV gets cancelled. -_-

Jintor

Region-locking just became an instant no-sell for future consoles for me. I guess that's not much, really, but... fuck.

Man, I was really looking forward to a new rune factory

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If this was the case, we would've known about much sooner (Neverland closed on Nov. 29th). And since there's already been a US release, I don't think the "critical code got lost" is a likely reason (besides, I think they would have mentionned it in the PR).

And I find it highly unlikely that Marvelous AQL didn't have a copy of the game's code with them. My guess is they just couldn't find anyone to publish the game in Europe.
Yeah that's normally my assumption as well, but given the rising number of closet publishers I was giving them some leeway.

Puru

It's just the start, SMT4 will probably follow.
Not surprising, same reason i only have an NA account on my vita despise being european on top of the cheaper prices, we always get the short hand of the stick in the end.

Yeah that's normally my assumption as well, but given the rising number of closet publishers I was giving them some leeway.

What happened to Rising Star Games? They always took 100 years to bring HM/RF to Europe but they all got there eventually. I don't think they even published thew latest HM; that was MAQL Europe.

Region locking in this day and age is actually why I am not that sad that Nintendo is taking beating right now (Not to mention their other anti consumer practises like selling charger seperately from 3DS XL here in Europe). Karma is a bitch.

Pretty much. Maybe one day they will join us in the present.

Occam

Suck it, region locking. It would be a grand day if region locking was outlawed.
We live in a globalized world, yet the only ones profiting are corporations. But hey, corporations are people, too.

Ulumsk

Goddamn region lock. Nintendo deserves all the bad news they get. It's all their own making. Stop running your company like it's some weird cult ffs.

koutoru

Suck it, region locking. It would be a grand day if region locking was outlawed.
We live in a globalized world, yet the only ones profiting are corporations. But hey, corporations are people, too.
The funny thing is, they would make even more money if they didn't bar people from an entire region from buying their games.

Shahed

As much as I hate region locking, but this has absolutley nothing to do with Nintendo.
Except the fact that it's on a device Nintendo chose to region lock. If it was on PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4, Xbox One or potentially Xbox 360 people could just import the game.

But it's on a Nintendo platform

Recall

The vast majority of these niche super-delayed games are English-only anyway. Even when they do translate them, it'd still need PAL conversion, packaging design, a separate marketing campaign, yadda yadda.

By PAL conversion you mean adding more languages?

StayDead

The funny thing is, they would make even more money if they didn't bar people from an entire region from buying their games.

I think the idea behind it is that some countries charge more for the same product than somewhere else so rather than be fair to the consumer and let them get it for the best price they want to make that impossible because they're all greedy and care about nothing but their own bank accounts.

-Change one byte in the header from America to PAL (maybe Nintendo are the ones to do this).
-Give it to NOE to go through the lot check (because the extensive change of one byte makes the NOA lot check invalid). This step is an unnecessary hassle.

Maybe it isn't really unnecessary. You might remember the whole devil survivor Overclocked fiasco... It took ghostlight almost two years to bring the game in Europe (with the US translation) and it was filled with various bugs, including a severe, game - breaking one, not present in the American or Japanese versions

ABC

Banned
Except the bit where they're wholly and solely responsible for the region locked hardware, of course.

Which has nothing to do with a game getting cancelled.
I know why people getting angry (I'm too) but it's not Nintendo you should get angry with this time.

Mael

I get the blame for Nintendo but are we not blaming the publishers that just cancelled the game?
I mean I get where the region lock is a problem and everything but if they're not even bothering releasing stuffs I don't see how that somehow not the fault of Marvelous or somethng.
I mean if the system was regionfree, you wouldn't give a shit it wouldn't get a proper release?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

You'd be surprised at how easy/common it is to lose source code and other game assets!

Majmun

I just think he means that the cancellation has nothing to do with Nintendo. Which is probably true.

But we won't be able to import thanks to Nintendo. Their decision to region lock the 3DS is making this just worse. And we should get angry at them as well.

Region locking is just one aspect of a multilayered problem anyway. The whole market for ,,quirky'' (now niche-) titles is as good as dead. For something like Zero Escape 3, I have to hope that it even exists anymore. Then I have to hope that it's not a cellphone game. Just then it's worrying about an EU date. (And afterwards, about getting one of probably very few copies right in time). And especially on 3DS they've long stopped even giving any kind of fuck about translations, even for ,,bigger'' releases like Ace Attorney.

Jintor

Which has nothing to do with a game getting cancelled.
I know why people getting angry (I'm too) but it's not Nintendo you should get angry with this time.

I'm pissed that I can't play it because a) it was cancelled but also b) i can't import it even though it's out in english without paying for another 3ds

do you see where I stand here

Top Bottom