• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 cancelled for Europe

Why can't Nintendo let the publisher change the flag on the US version to allow it to run on PAL 3DS. I'm used to how the 360 handled region locking which was surprisingly flexible in allowing certain niche games to be region free or dual region.

Anyway if the dev went bust surely someone owns the rights to the game? Does anyone know who this is? Maybe we can change their mind since surely a debtor would be interested in clawing back some of the money they are owed.

Peagles

Yeah, thats what I meant. I had a brain fart and included the US twice :p

Nah the irrelevant bit was about Japan. It seems every thread like this some smart person comes in and cleverly points out that hardly any people outside Japan can speak Japanese so why are we angry about region lock, lol.

-Horizon-

Why can't Nintendo let the publisher change the flag on the US version to allow it to run on PAL 3DS. I'm used to how the 360 handled region locking which was surprisingly flexible in allowing certain niche games to be region free or dual region.

Anyway if the dev went bust surely someone owns the rights to the game? Does anyone know who this is? Maybe we can change their mind since surely a debtor would be interested in clawing back some of the money they are owed.

Been wondering about this too. If Nintendo really is determined to keep region lock even against popular opinion, maybe they should just go the 360 route where it is up to the publisher. Nintendo can keep their own games region locked, if Square Enix wants their game to be playable in any region, let them.
Didn't some one say that their reason for implementing region lock was so that they can control the price? I say leave it up to the publishers' own discretion then.

Jakku

First Rune Factory, next SMT4, hell, why not Persona Q so you don't get our hopes up?

This region locking crap needs to stop, and it needs to stop soon. Even Microsoft wised up with the Xbox One, and the Vita isn't region locked so the YS game that came out I could grab at a moments notice on Ebay. It's just a big pain in the ass for any 3ds game I'm interested in, and this was a game I really really looking forward to, but oh well.

Shahed

Nah the irrelevant bit was about Japan. It seems every thread like this some smart person comes in and cleverly points out that hardly any people outside Japan can speak Japanese so why are we angry about region lock, lol.

The amount of times I've read this. It infuriates me. They may as well just say 'It doesn't affect me so I don't give a shit' instead of pretending there isn't a problem

Cheeky

First Rune Factory, next SMT4, hell, why not Persona Q so you don't get our hopes up?

NISA is most likely to do Persona Q, so that will be fine. They are pretty much the only one to keep a schedule and actually not completely forget Europe

Hasney

Been wondering about this too. If Nintendo really is determined to keep region lock even against popular opinion, maybe they should just go the 360 route where it is up to the publisher. Nintendo can keep their own games region locked, if Square Enix wants their game to be playable in any region, let them.
Didn't some one say that their reason for implementing region lock was so that they can control the price? I say leave it up to the publishers' own discretion then.

From the experience on the 360, what happens here is that these niche games that are published by one company in the US and then get picked up by another for Europe are the ones that get region locked anyway, so it wouldn't solve anything.

Trust me. I waited long and hard for Deadly Premonition because of this.

-Horizon-

From the experience on the 360, what happens here is that these niche games that are published by one company in the US and then get picked up by another for Europe are the ones that get region locked anyway, so it wouldn't solve anything.

Trust me. I waited long and hard for Deadly Premonition because of this.
Ah, I see. Never mind then. Guess there is no "work around" other than the complete removal of the region locking because otherwise, some region will still get screwed over.

Zafir

NISA is most likely to do Persona Q, so that will be fine. They are pretty much the only one to keep a schedule and actually not completely forget Europe
Yeah, since Tecmo Koei teamed up with them they've been solid. Not surprising though as tecmo koei themselves have always done a decent job.

Requeim

I also think Persona Q will make it.

But Devil Survivor 2: Break Code? You would think ghostlight since they did regular DS2, but how long would the wait be? I think it's more likely that it'll get strange journey'd

Peagles

The amount of times I've read this. It infuriates me. They may as well just say 'It doesn't affect me so I don't give a shit' instead of pretending there isn't a problem

It's more than that. It's like, hey, I haven't read the thread or bothered to understand your situation but I'm going to come in here and argue against it anyway and make you feel completely invalidated, even though I have the wrong end of the stick, ha!

Lumyst

TI've got every HM and RF game released since FoMT and this'll be the first that I cannot play.
At this point i'll skip any region locked console..
Tired of this shit, considering all the water under the bridge..

This is why I care about the region locking issue now. To know that there were excited and devoted fans who have a harder time to get to play a game that's already been translated to their language!!! I used to think it was just a Japanese/Western thing but now I see that it even affects things in a Western/Western direction, how stupid is that! (As I said, it gets personal now that I see how it affects Rune Factory fans.)

I suppose the infuriating thing is that there's a policy that hinders a solution that would help alleviate the issue. If the 3DS weren't region locked, the only hassle for devoted Rune Factory fans would have been to import the game. But with the region locking, the only solution would be to enrich Nintendo with a purchase of another 3DS, and then to top it off, have to pay the expense of importing both the 3DS and the game. *rant*

Eusis

Ownership is fine, Marvelous owns the IP and was going to publish themselves in Europe and did via XSEED in the US as they own them too. But Neverland may've had the code or at least the people who knew how to work with that and so that could've screwed up bringing it out to Europe in a timely fashion.

NOE just told me "This may be released at a future date, although as of yet Nintendo has no official announcement at this time. "
By NOE you mean customer services? They have a list of stock answers and that is basically all they can say (in the UK they are also really bad at working them into a paragraph so just paste each sentence one at a time so it makes less sense)

Still it is odd that Nintendo would have anything to announce, unless this is a secret confirmation of NOE publishing...I think its more what I said first and I'd press them for more (e.g. may be is not good enough if your stupid region lock didn't exist I could play it for sure).

Rozart

I'm not from Europe but I've been looking for this game everywhere in my country. The game shops that I've been to were previously unsure if they'd be getting anymore stock. But just today one of the guys from the store informed me that won't ever be selling RF4 anymore. /seriously crushed

Was thinking of buying it from amazon since my 3DS is essentially a US one anyway but the prices for the game are insane.

I'm not from Europe but I've been looking for this game everywhere in my country. The game shops that I've been to were previously unsure if they'd be getting anymore stock. But just today one of the guys from the store informed me that won't ever be selling RF4 anymore. /seriously crushed

Was thinking of buying it from amazon since my 3DS is essentially a US one anyway but the prices for the game are insane.
It should be on the eShop in North America and will be $40 on there. If you are using a non-US credit card you'll have to set your 3DS country to Canada though (or buy some USA eShop money at horrible markup).

If you prefer physical games and the ability to resell you might want to pay more for a cartridge copy (figure out how easy it is to sell, if after selling it you're paying more than $40 then consider the eShop).

At least you guys are actually getting that game, and basically all games released in English. Europeans just get screwed.

It was mainly a response to the comment about the delay with FE, rather than Rune Factory 4.

For the record, I live in the UK. I bought a US 3DS though because history has taught me that with region-locked consoles, it's the wise choice.

Rozart

It should be on the eShop in North America and will be $40 on there. If you are using a non-US credit card you'll have to set your 3DS country to Canada though (or buy some USA eShop money at horrible markup).

If you prefer physical games and the ability to resell you might want to pay more for a cartridge copy (figure out how easy it is to sell, if after selling it you're paying more than $40 then consider the eShop).

Aaah, didn't know that it was up on the eShop! Seriously, thanks for the heads up!

But yes, I do prefer having physical copies of a game over digital ones. I'm not planning to resell it though (I rarely ever do that) and I don't mind paying more for it but currently the cheapest the game is selling at on Amazon is $117.81. And that's just insane.

I'm going to try and scour some local online marketplaces to see if anyone is selling a used copy of the game. If not though, I think I'll honestly just download from the eShop. Been looking for the game for close to a month and I'm kinda getting tired of looking for one.

Wow... I just read this and I don't even... I never felt so bad about having a EU 3DS and as much as I want RF4 I'm not going to buy a second 3DS unless I can get it for like 60€ Now I seriously hope they find a way to do this region unlock mod also on the most current firmware, as much as I like Nintendo there is no single way I can tolerate region-locking when nobody else does it anymore and it literally seems to be a change of a few bytes to solve...

Top Bottom