• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 cancelled for Europe

Cerity

what in the flying fuck.

Apart from SMT4, this was the other game that I was looking forward to on 3ds this year.

Grizzo

Well, region-locking never really bothered me before (though I find it irritating), but now this is the final straw. Thanks a lot for that Nintendo.

my face right now

Spongebobs-face-when-he-finds-that-squidward-likes-krabby-patties-spongebob-squarepants-19133687-500-333.jpg

finally , US region got a game and not Europe

Well, we never got Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Harvest Moon 64, Ogre Battle 64 (though they're now available on the Virtual Console), Megaman Collection on the Gamecube and lots of other good games. Also, Final Fantasy VII was the first game of the series to ever get released in Europe. So we always got screwed. Meanwhile, I can't think of a game that was released in Europe and not in the US (and a worthwhile one, at that).

what in the flying fuck.

Apart from SMT4, this was the other game that I was looking forward to on 3ds this year.

With no Rune Factory 4 and still no release date for SMT 4.
What 3DS games are people actually looking forward to in the next few months in Europe?
Only one I remember is Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

Grizzo

With no Rune Factory 4 and still no release date for SMT 4.
What 3DS games are people actually looking forward to in the next few months in Europe?
Only one I remember is Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

I don't really know... Kirby Triple Deluxe ? We got no released date for this one either, but let's hope it'll be released soon enough (if it ever get released).

There's also Mario Golf. But this one looks M.I.A. at the moment.

I don't really know... Kirby Triple Deluxe ? We got no released date for this one either, but let's hope it'll be released soon enough (if it ever get released).

There's also Mario Golf. But this one looks M.I.A. at the moment.

No release dates ,huh? Hope it's not gonna turn into a software drought.
A new Nintendo Direct would be welcome by now.

Requeim

Yeah, Europe getting fucked over with a video game release. That's such a rare event!

I don't know what the hell that guy has been smoking.

Also, why would anyone be an ass about another region not getting a particular game? Even if what he said was true, how petty can you get?

dani_dc

Just last week an overseas friend was telling me about how much she was enjoying Rune Factory 4.

Time to go back worrying about SMT IV.

Terra_Ex

my face right now

Spongebobs-face-when-he-finds-that-squidward-likes-krabby-patties-spongebob-squarepants-19133687-500-333.jpg

wait...SMT 4 didn't got release for Europe too ?

but..region lock is really bad , hope nintendo remove it for good
Do you live in some parallel universe or something? Just from a quick perusal of my games shelves and memory, here's a list of the games I had to import during the PS1 & PS2 generation due to them not getting a release in Europe, I'm not excluding games that eventually came over on a different platform (years later) like FFT and Tactics Ogre as that is besides the point.

Xenosaga
Xenosaga Ep3
Shadow Hearts FTNW
Grandia 3
Grandia Xtreme
Tsuganai Atonement
Okage
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia
Suikoden 3
Radiata Stories
Growlanser Generations
Valkyrie Profile
Shining Force Neo
Shining Tears
Shining Force EXA
Lunar
Lunar 2
Brigandine
Vanguard Bandits
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Parasite Eve
Persona
Persona 2: EP
SaGa Frontier
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II (Eternia)
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Wild ARMs 2
Xenogears
hack//G.U. vol. 1//Rebirth
.hack//G.U. vol. 2//Reminisce
.hack//G.U. vol. 3//Redemption
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
Metal Saga
MS Saga: A New Dawn
Romancing SaGa
Wild Arms Alter Code: F
Eternal Poison
Front Mission 4

That's almost 50 games in my favourite genre that I had to import during the ps1 and ps2 generations, games that I had to circumvent Sony's region locking in order to play (and the list does not include the games I've imported in order to avoid the monolithic period of time between PAL and NTSC releases during that generation). It wasn't fun, it wasn't always cheap and I'd have preferred these titles to have seen releases in my region within a reasonable timeframe.

But yeah, clearly Europe gets ALL the games and the US always misses out... And for those games that the publishers did deign to offer to European customers, check out the sizeable gap between the US launch and Europe's launch date.

On a slight tangent, that Operation Rainfall came to exist because THREE rpgs possibly might not come out in the states was one of the most amusing things I've ever seen on the internet and it seems that you have fooled yourself into thinking europe is some kind of localisation nirvana when the reality is far from this. Things have improved on the whole in recent years but situations like this and Nintendo insistence on region locking and remaining trapped in their little bubble world of ignorance (something which they will ultimately pay the price for) is doing much to propel users of their consoles back to the dark ages of PAL gaming. This isn't (or certainly shouldn't be) some competition about us and them, snickering because one side gets something the other doesn't, in this equation one group of players simply cannot play the others games due to an arbitrary, antiquated restriction and that, in terms of gaming & enjoyment of a diverse entertainment medium, is of benefit to no one.

You know I had a 3DS since launch and I got burnt by the ambassador program BS, the shitty drought and of course region-lock.

However now games are outright getting cancelled/delayed and I have no way around that thanks to Nintendo and its insistence on region-locking while the competitors are region-free.

I enjoy the 3DS with the few games I have for it, mainly the essentials, however I can say with confidence that the next hand-held from them I will not be purchasing if it is region-locked,I'm tired of supporting anti-consumer BS.

The Wii U is a prime example on why I have not bought it yet,No price drop from Nintendo(Australia $428) and of course region-lock, while I'm enjoying region-free gaming on the PS4/XBOX One.

I hope one day Nintendo wakes up and understands that region-locking is just archaic and damn right imposing, yet alone on a hand-held.

FiraB

Banned
And so more money comes back to my pocket, had this ordered and paid for nearly a full year now, truly sad affair when things like this happen. I'm really starting to get tired of region locking and regional accounts, it makes gaming a absolute pain in the ass.

Quixzlizx

This really puts NA's inability to buy a life-bringing Senran Kagura Burst physical copy into perspective.

Good luck, Europe. I hope SMT IV makes it.

Meanwhile, I can't think of a game that was released in Europe and not in the US (and a worthwhile one, at that).

Terranigma for the SNES in the mid-90s. Clearly I'm still slightly bitter. Though your overall sentiment that the US gets more games is obviously correct.

either you're joking or this is some serious bullshit: is there anybody here that's really convinced that EU has been treated better in terms of game releases than US on average?
EU releases usually ask for DE/FR/IT alongside english don't they?
that would be good but it's not required at all, especially for eshop releases: Virtue's Last Reward was released with english text and japanese voices, and it came on eshop and physical as well

Morokh

Anybody who cares about living in this world, in which we are, should learn english as it is the current universal language for communication among humans: not publishing a game because the publisher doesn't want to localize it in other languages other than english is just lame, there's plenty of market for english only games among all the inhabitants of EU.

There is a difference between what should be done and what people do you know (although I can agree with you on the idea).

Thing is, in Europe if your game is not translated your game will drastically reduce it's possible audience, cause even within people that could play it in english, many of them will not want to because it's an extra effort they just don't want to do when they want to relax to play a game.

Rune Factory games aren't really to sellers around here either, and it already comes from the fact that the publishing of the games always was a mess : available in some countries but not others, only on pre-order, or not at the announced release date and I could go on if we include actual Harvest Moon games too.

This added to the fact that the studio who made the game went down, there may be other things that got in the way, and they just thought it might not be worth it at all.

But I guess Lol Nintendo is the way to think these days ...

Hasney

Yes, lol Nintendo is the way to think because if it wasn't for their shitty business practices, I could be playing Rune Factory and SMT right now. But because Nintendo went anti-consumer with their region locking, I can't.

I'm done defending Nintendo. Roll on hacked consoles.

Coxy

I'm really curious as to whether Marvelous just cheaped out with this decision.

Oh clearly, that makes perfect sense. They released every other game in the series, announced this one, already had it translated. That MUST be it, it couldnt possibly have anything to do with the company shutting down.

Sandfox

Oh clearly, that makes perfect sense. They released every other game in the series, announced this one, already had it translated. That MUST be it, it couldnt possibly have anything to do with the company shutting down.

I understand that the company closed down but I would think that it would still be possible for them to release the game in Europe and if code was lost like it was guessed on the first page they would be able to get it from the US release.

They don't even need to release it in Europe. Just make up a batch with the PAL region lock code and ship them out to Amazon or something. We can take care of the rest from there.

God I hate a) region locking. b) me for being so stupid and buying a PAL 3DS

I understand that the company closed down but I would think that it would still be possible for them to release the game in Europe and if code was lost like it was guessed on the first page they would be able to get it from the US release.

Not necessarily.

Neverland could have just sent XSEED Excel files for translating. It could have been up to Neverland to work the localization files into the source code and optimize everything for the USA localization.

When Neverland shut down, the team responsible for Rune Factory 4 was scattered. Presumably some were absorbed into Marvelous AQL, but Marvelous has put them onto other projects, like Rune Factory 5 (most likely).

I don't doubt Marvelous has a copy of the source code and the assets, but there's no team there who can prepare a European localization.

Marvelous could just copy and paste the XSEED North American release and send it to Europe, but that specific code is optimized for North American cartridges / North American systems.

They could devote team members to solve this issue, but I'm guessing that's a matter of opportunity costs. Marvelous would probably rather have those team members working on the next game and they don't want to pay the licensing / publishing fees to have the game on the eShop / distributed through retail.

Assuming that most Japanese games arent released in Japan with an optional english sub, then region locking only matters for those fluent in Japanese (a minority of costumers). And if you can afford a software import from Japan, you can surely afford to import a 3DS too. Not saying it is not a backwards and awful policy by Nintendo, but it isnt as bad as it is pictured.

Reknoc

Assuming that most Japanese games arent released in Japan with an optional english sub, then region locking only matters for those fluent in Japanese (a minority of costumers). And if you can afford a software import from Japan, you can surely afford to import a 3DS too. Not saying it is not a backwards and awful policy by Nintendo, but it isnt as bad as it is pictured.

please read the thread, thanks.

What? The very thread you're posting in makes a mockery of that point.

Eusis

Europe says hello! And bonjour! And guten tag! And hola! And a bunch of other languages I don't care to look up right now.

Granted any of those people would need to know English, but if this came out there at least they'd be able to play it, rather than depending on an American import of the system and the cart. Which is the whole problem here because the game came out in NA but not Europe!

please read the thread, thanks.

I read most of it, hard to keep up with almost 300 posts. What I said was mostly focused on games that never leave Japan and do not have an option for english subs. In the case of games released in America but not in Europe, yeah, it is kind of even dumber to have region locking (I know this is the actual topic being discussed, I should´ve focused on that).

Peagles

I read most of it, hard to keep up with almost 300 posts. What I said was mostly focused on games that never leave Japan and do not have an option for english subs. In the case of games released in America but not in the US, yeah, it is kind of even dumber to have region locking (I know this is the actual topic being discussed, I should´ve focused on that).

Please understand.

No really, this thread is about a game released in English in North America that is no longer coming to PAL regions.

Joni

MarvelousAQL hasn't released a single Rune Factory game in Europe. Rising Star Games was slow, but at least they released the games.

The sooner hackers get a proper region free mod working on the 3DS, the better. I've literally had enough of Nintendo's region locking now, neither Sony nor Microsoft lock their products any more, let alone a freaking handheld. I've got every HM and RF game released since FoMT and this'll be the first that I cannot play.

Count me out of purchasing any future EU Nintendo hardware until they either join the 21st century, or hackers drag them there kicking and screaming.

gngf123

Thank god I had the foresight to buy a NA 3DS. SMTIV was enough and now this!

I wish I had that foresight. I didn't even have enough foresight to not update my old 3DS.

Really, really regretting things right about now. Unless Nintendo remove region locking, I probably won't be buying an EU unit from them again.

Hasney

The sooner hackers get a proper region free mod working on the 3DS, the better. I've literally had enough of Nintendo's region locking now, neither Sony nor Microsoft lock their products any more, let alone a freaking handheld. I've got every HM and RF game released since FoMT and this'll be the first that I cannot play.

Count me out of purchasing any future EU Nintendo hardware until they either join the 21st century, or hackers drag them there kicking and screaming.

Yup, I never had a problem with region locking because it was trivial to work around and it was standard practice for all consoles, so it was just something to deal with. I've got a drawer that has various carts and boot discs to bust region-locks on consoles.

Then firmware updates came to thwart things like this and Nintendo went out of their way to block them. Prior to modchips, Nintendo actively blocked Action Replay & Freeloader. Datel even released an updated version of AR that had a different disc ID, but Nintendo in their infinite wisdom decided the next update should block the new ones too, so my US Gamecube discs were useless until I soldered a chip in and then softmodded.

Now, because I decided to update my console, I can't even hack my 3DS. I won't be making that mistake again which will unfortunately preclude me buying any more Nintendo games in case they contain an update for either 3DS or Wii U and wait for hackers to graciously allow me to play some games I've been so looking forward to.

Top Bottom