• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian military outraged after French magazine Charlie Hebdo mocks plane crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian...cal-magazine-charlie-hebdo-mocks-plane-crash/

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov described the cartoons as “excrements,” saying in Thursday’s statement that “it is humiliating for a normal person even to pay attention to this labored filth.”

Sunday’s crash of a Syria-bound Russian plane killed all 92 people on board. It was carrying members of the world-famous Russian army choir to a New Year’s concert at a Russian military base in Syria.

One of Charlie Hebdo’s cartoons depicts a singer in the falling aircraft wailing ‘aaaa’ with inscription: “The repertoire of the Red Army Choir is expanding,” while another voices sardonic regret that Russian President Vladimir Putin wasn’t inside.

Honestly, it reminds me of this:
428723-jpg_286470.jpg

Charlie Hebdo really mocks everything.

Joni

Huh. I really don't know how to feel about what they do.
Well, if you don't buy them, you don't have to. It is just a fringe magazine that was on the edge of bankruptcy. Seeing that it is still a magazine in a modern world it probably still is.

BAW

Banned
Huh. I really don't know how to feel about what they do.

Just see it as a barometer for the level of free speech in the world. Their raison d'etre is to be extremely insulting, everybody knows it, they know it... If the world can understand and accept that it has a right to exist regardless of what it says, then things are good for free speech in the world, if anyone wants to start a "noble crusade" against Charlie Hebdo for whatever bullshit reason (our children! or the quality!) then better be wary.

Dalibor68

Banned
Well, they can be rightfully outraged as long as noone is calling for censorship (assuming it's covered by free speech).

I do sometimes wonder who buys this magazine though.

liquidtmd

Banned
Irrespective of the wider context, satire for me has to have an undercurrent of humour.

One of Charlie Hebdo’s cartoons depicts a singer in the falling aircraft wailing ‘aaaa’ with inscription

This to me is not funny and I do like black humour.

They are free to do as they wish though but I'm not surprised at the outrage.

Sinsem

I dont know french, could you translate?

I don't know how to properly translate the joke for the first one but the second one says:
"The Red Army Chorus Crash. Bad news... Putin wasn't inside"
And the 3rd one says:
"After the catastrophe, The Red Army conquers a new public"

elyetis

I dont know french, could you translate?
Couild you translate the captions for us uncultured brutes who don't read French? :)
The first two are already in the OP ( left then middle ) :
One of Charlie Hebdo’s cartoons depicts a singer in the falling aircraft wailing ‘aaaa’ with inscription: “The repertoire of the Red Army Choir is expanding,” while another voices sardonic regret that Russian President Vladimir Putin wasn’t inside.
The third one would be :
After the disaster
The Red Army Choir conquered a new audience.

( I'm not sure the literal translation 'conquered' is really the right word to use in english in this context )

Alx

Why does this little French magazine still cause outrage? Like, I've seen webcomics way more offensive than what they do

Quite ironically, because the attacks put them in the spotlight. They've been doing their thing for decades and nobody cared (they were actually starting to dwindle for lack of popularity), now they're a known name all around the world. They just started a local edition in Germany a few weeks ago, even.

Ulysses 31

Just see it as a barometer for the level of free speech in the world. Their raison d'etre is to be extremely insulting, everybody knows it, they know it... If the world can understand and accept that it has a right to exist regardless of what it says, then things are good for free speech in the world, if anyone wants to start a "noble crusade" against Charlie Hebdo for whatever bullshit reason (our children! or the quality!) then better be wary.

Have you not seen the "hate speech is not free speech" card being pulled a lot when people find critisism/satire disagreeable? >.>

Oh, it's time for a new Charlie Hebdo thread already?
I certainly understand why anybody from Russia would be pissed and outraged by these drawings but Charlie mocked their own attack so... Why wouldn't they joke about everything else?
And looking at these drawings, they're not really mocking the victims but are using the situation to shit on Poutine, which is more than fair game.

Weckum

Poutine is fucking delicious. I don't care whether he believes in democracy or not, I will follow his orders anywhere.

smokes.jpg

Goddamn, now I want Poutine.

Anyway, I don't think their cartoons are funny or edgy or anything, but I respect that they mock absolutely everything and don't give a shit.

Razmos

Why does Russia always respond to everything like a child spitting out their dummy. They never even try and sound diplomatic.

Jackpot

Banned
Hebdo has always been a tasteless, bargain-basement equivalent of an internet troll. The tragedies it's suffered doesn't change that. Nor the fact that Russia was its target should make this any more ok.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Charlie Hebdo writers have the right to joke about it and the Russian military and people have the right to be offended by it.

This actually make me feel they crossed the line (more so than the rest of their stuns) for me.

My feeling is french are weird.

At first I thought this description was a single cartoon, as in the repertoire of the choir expands and one of the chorists thinks it's a shame that Putin isn't inside to hear the new song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom