• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...d-avoir-donne-trop-d-informations_tv?start=16

HOLY SHIT ...

The wife of one of the supermarket hostages accuses BFMTV (french most popular news channel) of giving too much information during the siege.

"(...) You made a BIG BIG mistake BFMTV because you were live with the people who were hiding in the cold-storage chamber. They told you there were 6 of them and a baby and 2 minutes later you leaked that information on your channel, and the terrorist was watching your channel ! Luckily he didn't notice the banner at the bottom or my husband and the other 5 people would have been killed by him. He was persuaded that no one was hiding down there. And you leaked that 5 people and a baby were there ! "

Omg ...

I don't know what to say ...
I think in general there were things that journalists did without really thinking. They really spilled some beans.
For journalists these lives don't matter. Just the news.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What does this sentence mean?

Rassemblement bleue raciste, a pun on the name of Rassemblement bleu Marine, a political coalition set up by far-right politician Marine Le Pen – who recently called the left-wing Taubira a “monkey”. The caricature therefore does something that few Anglophone cartoonists would dare attempt: it uses overtly racist imagery as a means of satirising racism.
Too many people seem to have a hard time getting satire.

That's impossible, I saw the declaration on video on BBC or Euronews. And I didn't watch today the news as I had other things to do. So it was yesterday, I just can't remember if it was early in the morning (so probably from the day before) or in the afternoon.

Edit: I see, they released today in French a press info. Then it's deliberate.

Well I don't know... all sources of the official release (in French) are dated from today.

Edit: oh, i saw your edit. Yeah, that's the one I was talking about.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...d-avoir-donne-trop-d-informations_tv?start=16

HOLY SHIT ...

The wife of one of the supermarket hostages accuses BFMTV (french most popular news channel) of giving too much information during the siege.

"(...) You made a BIG BIG mistake BFMTV because you were live with the people who were hiding in the cold-storage chamber. They told you there were 6 of them and a baby and 2 minutes later you leaked that information on your channel, and the terrorist was watching your channel ! Luckily he didn't notice the banner at the bottom or my husband and the other 5 people would have been killed by him. He was persuaded that no one was hiding down there. And you leaked that 5 people and a baby were there ! "

Omg ...

Eww. Thank goodness they didn't die :/

http://www.bfmtv.com/societe/prise-...ignage-du-salarie-qui-s-est-enfui-856691.html

According to this, the terrorist did learn at some point that there were people down there, and he sent a hostage to ask them to go upstairs. It's all very confusing.

azyless

You mean the original cartoons that wouldn't be published in respected newspapers? They're a few years old, I doubt they'd be hard to find.

If you'd like something by Charlie Hebdo you may more readily identify as racist:
http://i.imgur.com/emFtfYi.jpg

Yeah you're obviously not french and are taking things way out of context. This is what I was talking about earlier.
The woman in the drawing is Taubira, the Minister of Justice, who at the time was the target of racist attacks by Front National (comparison to a monkey in a magazine + some stuff with a banana in the assembly I think).
Charlie Hebdo is using almost word for word the Front National slogan, replacing "Marine" by "Racist" + showing the FN logo.
They're denouncing the racist shit the FN keeps pulling off and absolutely everyone seems to take this drawing as proof that they're racist, truly sad.

Shahadan

YES thank you. I don't know why people can't understand this, maybe it's cultural. It's using racism to make fun of it.
We had plenty of that type of humor when I was still a kid, sadly it mostly disappeared because people are dumb. Charlie Hebdo was probably the last remnant of that stuff.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

HOLY SHIT ...

Omg ...

The way BFMTV mutes her, realizing their mistake as she speaks...

This deserves a heavy sanction.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
YES thank you. I don't know why people can't understand this, maybe it's cultural. It's using racism to make fun of it.
We had plenty of that type of humor when I was still a kid, sadly it mostly disappeared because people are dumb. Charlie Hebdo was probably the last remnant of that stuff.
It's the same as Colbert with his character, I assume everyone gets that?

Mimosa97

^He discusses part of what makes it racists in the link.

You mean the original cartoons that wouldn't be published in respected newspapers? They're a few years old, I doubt they'd be hard to find.

If you'd like something by Charlie Hebdo you may more readily identify as racist:

One of the cartoonist was Moroccan ( Zineb something ) and one of the proofreader (is it the right word for someone who checks grammar and typos etc... ?) was an algerian who was recently naturalized.Pretty hard to label them as racists.

They also helpled a lot of tunisian and algerian political activists to get asylum in France. They milited a lot against the french far-right party party, going as far as contributing to a petition asking for the dissolution of the party.

Zaph

HOLY SHIT ...

Omg ...

Once the dust's settled and everyone's had a chance to grieve, there's some serious questions that need answering regarding how news channels cover developing events.

So far we've had:

1. Accusations the media messed with/delayed the special forces entering the premises
2. The murdered policeman's widow finding out about her husband's death via the video they aired
3. As above, terrorist (almost?) finding out about the hidden hostages

Front page of Le Journal du Dimanche (weekly newspaper published on sundays):

B7BWGCECcAA8Goy.jpg

Shahadan

Once the dust's settled and everyone's had a chance to grieve, there's some serious questions that need answering regarding how news channels cover developing events.

So far we've had:

1. Accusations the media messed with/delayed the special forces entering the premises
2. The murdered policeman's widow finding out about her husband's death via the video they aired

Also, the mother of the dead policewoman learned about the fate of her daughter by listening to the radio.

Alx

So far we've had:

There is also all the real time reporting of any of the police move during both sieges. Also several false alarms reported before confirmation.
Freedom of the press is great, but I think in such situations the police should be able to make them withhold information until it's safe to share it, since the journalists can't be trusted to do it by themselves.

Koren

Ehh, why did you quote me?
Edit: never mind . You deleted.
Sorry, the forum remember I quoted you earlier, and I hadn't noticed before posting.

Note he mentions how obviously racist they were. I don't think he's alone in thinking that. Or about some of their other drawings.
(Note: this is from a different article, I was talking about his other one)

I still fail to see how it's "obviously" racist, or I missed some cartoons.

I'd say that there's justice to say what's racist and what's not. You're free to think it is, I differ.

The fact that they were sued, and they NEVER have been found guilty of racism. In fact, they nearly never lost a trial (a couple, to be honest... one for depicting a ministry in a nazy outfit, one for calling soldiers "murderers", two for insulting a right-wing politics, one for mentioning a condamnation of someone who has been relaxed later...)

But NONE over racism, and NONE in the last 10 years.

And before you conclude that justice is ok with racism here, there's plently of condamnations all over the place, so that argument is void.

Beside, if it was racist, there would have been a couple people working there who woulkd have left.

Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, The Associated Press all refused to reprint said cartoons, despite a massacre occurring in response to them.
You can refuse printing the mahomet cartoons in fear that it would be seen as provocative (it is), and not necessarily because it's racist. There's a STRONG difference between the two.

Chariot

HOLY SHIT ...

Omg ...

My god. There have to be stricter rules for media during hostage takings.

Koren

Minute is such a piece of trash paper. So is Valeurs Actuelles.
I'll trust you on the latter, but the former, definitively.

I loved how Desproge (a french humorist of the 70s) talked about Minute:

"it's really a great value! For 1$, you have all the best of Jean-Paul Sartre: Nausea *and* Dirty Hands."

Koren

Yes, as other have said, you don't really have a clue of what's depicted there.

They were mocking some racists in the french left-wing that associated the french ministry of justice with a monkey.

They were doing exactly *the opposite* of a racist cartoon on this one... Many people have been found guilty of associating the ministry and a monkey (or banana, or anything), there wasn't even a trial against Charlie Hebdo because the message behind this is obvious to anyone that was in France at this time.

I can easily understand how it can be read backwards without the context. But believe me, there's not a single doubt in this one that they're fighting AGAINST racism there.

Koren

I can easily understand how it can be read backwards without the context. But believe me, there's not a single doubt in this one that they're fighting AGAINST racism there.

Some more fuel about this: Charb's take about the situation (and the reason of the cartoon):

Charlie Hebdo tient d’abord à apporter tout son soutien à Christiane Taubira victime d’une insupportable attaque raciste de la part, cette fois, du magazine d’extrême droite Minute. Ensuite, Charlie Hebdo s’insurge contre les propos de Madame Hélène Valette qui, s’exprimant au nom de Minute, a déclaré: «nous assumons cette une, c’est satirique, personne ne s’offusque des unes de Charlie Hebdo». Jean-Marie Molitor, le directeur de la publication de Minute, quant à lui, déclare: «personne ne bouge sur les unes de certains confrères, comme quand le pape est croqué par Charlie Hebdo, mais c’est aussi parce que ce ne sont pas les mêmes qui sont visés».

D’une part, des gens s’offusquent des unes de Charlie Hebdo, notamment l’extrême droite catholique qui nous a poursuivis en justice 12 fois en 20 ans.

D’autre part, se cacher derrière un journal satirique connu pour ses positions anti-racistes et anti-fascistes afin de justifier un propos raciste et haineux est à la fois grotesque et effrayant.

C’est grotesque parce que l’insulte raciste n’a rien à voir avec la critique de certains aspects de telle ou telle religion ou de tel ou tel courant de pensée.

C’est effrayant parce que le dessein de Minute est clairement celui de banaliser l’insulte raciste.

À force d’associer le nom de Mme Taubira aux mots « banane » et « singe », l’extrême droite raciste espère faire passer un slogan raciste, une insulte colonialiste pour une blague populaire. Ce ne sont pas les idées de Mme Taubira qui sont visées par Minute, Civitas, la Manif pour tous ou une candidate du FN, mais sa couleur de peau.

Minute ne défend pas la liberté de la presse, Minute prépare les crimes racistes à venir. Ceux qui associent le nom de Charlie Hebdo à celui de Minute ne font que faciliter le travail de Minute.
Quick'n dirty:

Charlie Hebdo want first to express its support to Christiane Taubira [the woman depicted on the cartoon] victim of an unbearable racist attac from, this time, the right-wing newspaper Minute. Then, we want to denounce the words of Mrs Hélève Valette, speaking for the newspaper Minute, who said "we assume the front page, it's satyric, noone take offense from the Charlie Hebdo front pages". Jean-Marie Molitor, publication head of Minute, said "Noone criticize the front pages of some other newspapers, like when the Pope is depicted by Charlie Hebdo, but that's because the targets are not the same".

First, some people take offence from Charlie Hebdo front pages, especially catholic right-wing who sued us twelve times in 20 years.

Second, taking cover behind a satyrical newspaper, known for anti-racist and anti-fascist positions to try to justify a racist and hainous cover is scary and preposterous.

It's preposterous because racist insults have nothing in common with criticizing some aspects of a religion or a mode of thinking.

It's scary because the aim of Minute is obviously to trivialize racist insults.

By keeping associating Mrs Taubira name to words "banana" and "monkey", the racist right-wing hope that it will create a successful racist meme, disguising a colonialist insult as a popular joke. Minute, Civitas, [other right-wing actions] aren't targeting Mrs Taubira's ideas, but her skin color.

Minute isn't defending free speech, they're pave the way to racist crimes. Those who associate the name of Charlie Hebdo to Minute are only helping them.

(I apologize for my less-than-average english skills)

Skyzard

Banned
Accidentally deleted my post with individual replies but this will do for a few of the same:

"This is what they think"

...as an excuse to post racist imagery - to clarify, a black woman who is in their government as a monkey.

Satire takes wit.

We have the Times outright calling the cartoons previously in question as not satire - just overly offensive.
I guess those guys in the business don't understand the concept either.

Like it has been said, there is a fine line and Charlie Hebdo isn't above it.

Sorry, the forum remember I quoted you earlier, and I hadn't noticed before posting.

(Note: this is from a different article, I was talking about his other one)

I still fail to see how it's "obviously" racist, or I missed some cartoons.

I'd say that there's justice to say what's racist and what's not. You're free to think it is, I differ.

The fact that they were sued, and they NEVER have been found guilty of racism. In fact, they nearly never lost a trial (a couple, to be honest... one for depicting a ministry in a nazy outfit, one for calling soldiers "murderers", two for insulting a right-wing politics, one for mentioning a condamnation of someone who has been relaxed later...)

But NONE over racism, and NONE in the last 10 years.

And before you conclude that justice is ok with racism here, there's plently of condamnations all over the place, so that argument is void.

Beside, if it was racist, there would have been a couple people working there who woulkd have left.

You can refuse printing the mahomet cartoons in fear that it would be seen as provocative (it is), and not necessarily because it's racist. There's a STRONG difference between the two.

I'm not sure how you expect to use the courts as proof they use racist imagery when it's legal for them to publish the hate speech under the banner of free speech.

Here's how it'd go down if they tried it in the UK.
Or an American University Campus in the last 20 years.

I don't know about too many of the cases they lost but I did read about this one which conflicts with the idea of them being about the freedom to insult all:

They fired one of their own authors and asked him to make an apology before being taken to court:
Maurice Sinet, 80, who works under the pen name Sine, faces charges of "inciting racial hatred" for a column he wrote last July in the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo.

"L'affaire Sine" followed the engagement of Mr Sarkozy, 22, to Jessica Sebaoun-Darty, the Jewish heiress of an electronic goods chain. Commenting on an unfounded rumour that the president's son planned to convert to Judaism, Sine quipped: "He'll go a long way in life, that little lad."

A high-profile political commentator slammed the column as linking prejudice about Jews and social success. Charlie Hebdo's editor, Philippe Val, asked Sinet to apologise but he refused, exclaiming: "I'd rather cut my balls off."

He won that case against Charlie Hebdo. €90K paid in damages.

Don't try and defend people either though:
In 2000, journalist Mona Chollet was sacked after she had protested against a Philippe Val article which called Palestinians "non-civilized"

"any objections" -- (this is for those who saw their video of when they drew the cartoons, it's what the guy said at the end).

To your last sentence, their ultimate reason for not reposting the cartoons was mentioned, I posted it too. They specified they didn't see it as satire, just as an insult.

There is a big difference between showing respect and being fearful too.
Like you can have decent standards while also showing support to victims.

What does this sentence mean?

Easier to accept.

SteaG

Koren, I think you meant "(far) right wing" and not "left wing" in your two last posts!

By keeping associating Mrs Taubira name to words "banana" and "monkey", the racist left-wing hope that it will create a successful racist meme, disguising a colonialist insult as a popular joke. Minute, Civitas, [other left-wing actions] aren't targeting Mrs Taubira's ideas, but her skin color.

They were mocking some racists in the french left-wing that associated the french ministry of justice with a monkey.

nilbog21

Banned
What? With what reasoning? I may not know much about Hamas, but that strikes me as weird.

France is big supporters of Palestine. They do not want to be associated with this nonsense, and thus lose credibility among French supporters.

The very same principles allow the french to support Palestine and allow Charlie hebdo to do what they do..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"This is what they think"

...as an excuse to post racist imagery - to clarify, a black woman who is in their government as a monkey.

It's not pretending that "this is what they think", that was really what they (ring wing) did think. It's not invented. It's mocking a real event.

Easier to accept.

Yeah, I don't buy this. (and it's not even satire what you are doing but if you feel the need to insult to support your argument, be free to do it)

Koren

Koren, I think you meant "(far) right wing" and not "left wing" in your two last posts!
Oups, yes, my bad...

I'm not sure how you expect to use the courts as proof they use racist imagery when it's legal for them to publish the hate speech under the banner of free speech.
I definitively don't think that's hate speech (and justice don't either).

I don't know about too many of the cases they lost but I did read about this one which conflicts with the idea of them being about the freedom to insult all:

They fired one of their own authors and asked him to make an apology before being taken to court:
That's a more complex (and shady) affair than that. He was most probably fired for other reason that the one that served as pretense (most probably because different views over a lawyer, working both for Charlie Hebdo and in a unrelated affair they wanted to criticize openly). It's a bit complex, so I'm reluctant to make a giant case here.

There's plently of satyric cartoons against the jews, anyway, so I don't really see the point. They were even more aggresive against Catholics, too, and I definitively don't see the journal as favoring jews. Especially when they're against all religions.

To your last sentence, their ultimate reason for not reposting the cartoons was mentioned, I posted it too. They specified they didn't see it as satire, just as an insult.
Even if that's their opinion, that doesn't make it right... Plently of other newspaper disagree.

French justice disagrees, too (they were sued for this and won...)

Beside, it may be true that such a newspaper could not exist in britain/USA. I'm not sure it's for the better. Many comments in the articles you posted aren't either.

Flintty

HOLY SHIT ...

Omg ...

Sadly there was too much of this throughout the whole affair. The media are a fucking shambles. I hate the UK media but for all their faults, I know that would never happen here.

Sadly there was too much of this throughout the whole affair. The media are a fucking shambles. I hate the UK media but for all their faults, I know that would never happen here.

No, they just access murdered children's voicemail, leading to the parents thinking she was alive.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
^He discusses part of what makes it racists in the link.

Fuck's sake, we had to go into this at length in the other thread as well.

You, and the ill-informed articles you and Lime keep posting, are flat-out wrong. Not to mention insulting to the victims. And if you think posting an image without context to make your point is effective then you are clearly not the type of person to want to understand the satire in the first place.

Stop doing it.

That woman taking shots at BFM is right, reporting live that they had information that people were hidden in cold storage was incredibly irresponsible. I seriously hope they get punished for that.

Edit: people going out of their way to paint Charlie as racist are out of their depth and in poor taste.

Kathian

Banned

I listened to a sky reporter try and sneak into the Raul Moat (whatever the fuck his name was) altercation live. Hardly like the UK press are different.

Skyzard

Banned

It's hard to prove a cartoon is racist without going heavy into stereotypes and style, especially when it's not as simple as a black person being drawn as a monkey. Yes I know they were saying that's how others saw her. You'd think a national magazine would know better than to proliferate racism like that, even if it was 'indirect'.

Like others have published, they had no grace in what they were doing and went over the line - sometimes far from satire, and they shouldn't be respected for that.
Before the OP and others jump down my throat again, no, that doesn't mean they deserve violent retaliation but I would have hoped that it was obvious that has nothing to do with what I'm posting about. Victim blaming is not what this is about. It's about calling a spade a spade and not giving an excuse to promote xenophobia more than it already has been.

Anyway, you could insult the most radical muslim pretty easily these days and show the hypocrisy of claiming to be religious whilst supporting violent acts.

That's valued. There's benefit there.
Especially if it pushes people to confront ideas that are otherwise backwards but close to their scripting. It might be offensive, but it has some benefit, even if it's not really tangible. I'll admit that is what they do in some cartoon cases.

At the same time there is a limit to what should be acceptable insult and provocation, something others (and other countries) usually recognize.*
I'd argue that happens when you provokingly and strongly insult the actual beliefs of over a billion people unnecessarily and in a mocking fashion.

I'm told those limits also exist in France, and from what I can tell with that previous court case I mentioned - to any degree when it suits the elite, seemingly just not for the muslim populace.
Who are already considered to be facing strong discrimination in France, not to mention troubled with their own daily terrorism elsewhere - that I should mention wasn't all that common until recently with the Iraq war and interesting series of events that were the arab spring.
Repeated insult can take its toll on some, in various forms.

So do you then retroactively support the offenses because 2 out of the billion attacked them for the cartoons?
Yes it shows support.
Yes it shows resilience to violence and terrorism.
But it also helps to fester it - the supposed opposite intent of the drawings in the first place. Not to mention furthering the hatred and discrimination their message contains.
Both of the above things can be done without also claiming to be Charles Hebdo.

Just for a different comparison, if someone got sick of WestBoro Baptist Church and their awful shenanigans and attacked them viciously.

Do we show our support to the WBC victims by regurgitating their claims under a banner of free speech?
Out of curiosity would that also be a terrorist attack? They were trying to silence the hateful preaching of WBC, something permitted to them by freedom of speech in US.

Maybe some of you would if their original message was something you've been wanting to spread yourself but have been afraid to due to legit accusations of being politically incorrect which tends to be ignored during the heat of the moment of these situations. Somehow I feel like that wouldn't be too many considering what is and isn't up for game these days.

*I admit it's confusing to hear David Cameron show so much support for not the victims ( Hamas does that too) but for the idea that they were protecting freedom of speech.
That type of free speech would be illegal here in the UK.
Whilst actual freedom and liberties and reporting of those things get...well:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sed-guardian-editors-snowden-hard-drives-gchq

Raist

Banned
Just for a different comparison, if someone got sick of WestBoro Baptist Church and their awful shenanigans and attacked them viciously.

Do we show our support to the WBC victims by regurgitating their claims under a banner of free speech?
Out of curiosity would that also be a terrorist attack? They were trying to silence the hateful preaching of WBC, something permitted to them by freedom of speech in US.

You've already posted a lot of nonsense, but a comparison with WBC now? Seriously?
Fucking hell.

lord quas

At the same time there is a limit to what should be acceptable insult and provocation, something others (and other countries) usually recognize.*
I'd argue that happens when you provokingly and strongly insult the actual beliefs of over a billion people unnecessarily and in a mocking fashion.

We should be able to mock everything and everyone. We shouldn't care whether we offend people based on a religion they chose.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's hard to prove a cartoon is racist without going heavy into stereotypes and style, especially when it's not as simple as a black person being drawn as a monkey. Yes I know they were saying that's how others saw her. You'd think a national magazine would know better than to proliferate racism like that, even if it was 'indirect'.

Like others have published, they had no grace in what they were doing and went over the line - sometimes far from satire, and they shouldn't be respected for that.
Before the OP and others jump down my throat again, no, that doesn't mean they deserve violent retaliation but I would have hoped that it was obvious that has nothing to do with what I'm posting about. Victim blaming is not what this is about. It's about calling a spade a spade and not giving an excuse to promote xenophobia more than it already has been.

Anyway, you could insult the most radical muslim pretty easily these days and show the hypocrisy of claiming to be religious whilst supporting violent acts.

That's valued. There's benefit there.
Especially if it pushes people to confront ideas that are otherwise backwards but close to their scripting. It might be offensive, but it has some benefit, even if it's not really tangible. I'll admit that is what they do in some cartoon cases.

I'm told those limits also exist in France, and from what I can tell with that previous court case I mentioned - to any degree when it suits the elite, seemingly just not for the muslim populace.
Who are already considered to be facing strong discrimination in France, not to mention troubled with their own daily terrorism elsewhere - that I should mention wasn't all that common until recently with the Iraq war and interesting series of events that were the arab spring.
Repeated insult can take its toll on some, in various forms.

So do you then retroactively support the offenses because 2 out of the billion attacked them for the cartoons?
Yes it shows support.
Yes it shows resilience to violence and terrorism.
But it also helps to fester it - the supposed opposite intent of the drawings in the first place. Not to mention furthering the hatred and discrimination their message contains.
Both of the above things can be done without also claiming to be Charles Hebdo.

Maybe some of you would if their original message was something you've been wanting to spread yourself but have been afraid to due to legit accusations of being politically incorrect which tends to be ignored during the heat of the moment of these situations. Somehow I feel like that wouldn't be too many considering what is and isn't up for game these days.

*I admit it's confusing to hear David Cameron show so much support for not the victims ( Hamas does that too) but for the idea that they were protecting freedom of speech.
That type of free speech would be illegal here in the UK.
Whilst actual freedom and liberties and reporting of those things get...well:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sed-guardian-editors-snowden-hard-drives-gchq

In actually attempting an analogy with WBC you don't have a clue what the FUCK you are talking about.

I'll just repost from the other thread and hope you get better informed than the ignorance you are parroting.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7507729/the-satirical-cartoon-cover-that-defines-charlie-hebdo

Read it all, here's some key bits though:

Yet it would do a profound disservice to Charlie Hebdo and its leading cartoonists, many of whom were murdered in the attack, to describe it as an anti-Islam or anti-religion magazine, or to portray it as having provoked just for the sake of provocation.

On the nature of, and need for, their satire:

The magazine was not just criticized by Islamist extremists. At different points, even France's devoutly secular politicians have questioned whether the magazine went too far. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius once asked of its cartoons, "Is it really sensible or intelligent to pour oil on the fire?"

It is, actually. Part of Charlie Hebdo's point was that respecting these taboos strengthens their censorial power. Worse, allowing extremists to set the limits of conversation validates and entrenches the extremists' premises: that free speech and religion are inherently at odds (they are not), and that there is some civilizational conflict between Islam and the West (there isn't).

These are also arguments, by the way, made by Islamophobes and racists, particularly in France, where hatred of Muslim immigrants from north and west Africa is a serious problem.

And that is exactly why Charlie Hebdo's "Love is stronger than hate" cover so well captures the magazine's oft-misunderstood mission and message. Yes, the slobbery kiss between two men is surely meant to get under the skin of any conservative Muslims who are also homophobic, but so too is it an attack on the idea that Muslims or Islam are the enemy, rather than extremism and intolerance.

This sums is up perfectly:

Laurent Léger, a Charlie Hebdo staffer who survived the attack, told CNN in 2012, "The aim is to laugh. ... We want to laugh at the extremists — every extremist. They can be Muslim, Jewish, Catholic. Everyone can be religious, but extremist thoughts and acts we cannot accept."

All these "I'm for free speech but don't be an asshole!" articles are missing the point of, and the need for, the satire, skirting just this side of victim-blaming and insulting them and their reputation in the process.

It's profoundly ignorant.

Skyzard

Banned
In actually attempting an analogy with WBC you don't have a clue what the FUCK you are along about.

I'll just repost from the other thread and hope you get better informed than the ignorance you are parroting.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7507729/the-satirical-cartoon-cover-that-defines-charlie-hebdo

This sums is up perfectly:

Laurent Léger, a Charlie Hebdo staffer who survived the attack, told CNN in 2012, "The aim is to laugh. ... We want to laugh at the extremists — every extremist. They can be Muslim, Jewish, Catholic. Everyone can be religious, but extremist thoughts and acts we cannot accept."

All these "I'm for free speech but don't be an asshole!" articles are missing the point of, and the need for, the satire and skirting just this side of victim-blaming.

You keep posting these articles that don't understand what they are criticising in order to make a wider point. Even their 'welfare Queens' cartoon was attacking the far right.

If they were just laughing at extremists, that wouldn't be an issue. They were heavily insulting every muslim.

While my post doesn't compare to equate them, WBC and CH both gain financially from spreading messages that insult others, doing so under the banner of free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom