• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Today, in Toulouse, right in front of the store where I work. I never saw something like that. That's bonkers.

g8aaazZ.jpg

cQ00W4Ah.jpg

v7QPzl1h.jpg

Koren

Is there anything known about family memebers of both brothers? Any reactions or interviews?
I think I read they don't have remaining direct family.

That's probably for the best (the last time, IIRC, some relatives of the terrorist sued the police for not taking him alive, among other things)

Skyzard

Banned
"Where is Charlie?"
"Everywhere!"

I Am Not Charlie Hebdo
The journalists at Charlie Hebdo are now rightly being celebrated as martyrs on behalf of freedom of expression, but let’s face it: If they had tried to publish their satirical newspaper on any American university campus over the last two decades it wouldn’t have lasted 30 seconds. Student and faculty groups would have accused them of hate speech. The administration would have cut financing and shut them down.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The journalists at Charlie Hebdo are now rightly being celebrated as martyrs on behalf of freedom of expression, but let’s face it: If they had tried to publish their satirical newspaper on any American university campus over the last two decades it wouldn’t have lasted 30 seconds. Student and faculty groups would have accused them of hate speech. The administration would have cut financing and shut them down.
Well it certainly was a difficult time for the tumblrsphere. Most of them will probably not admit it or even recognise the irony though.

Skyzard

Banned
Brooks is a complete jerk with such an op-ed.

I don't think so.

Charlie Hebdo was trash.

Now they've been attacked they're suddenly something to be respected, not just lent sympathy.

The attacks were wrong but that doesn't make Charlie Hebdo right, yet that seems to be the message spreading.

His timing is perfect.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I'm not American nor do I know that author but honestly, do you think that a magazine that sometimes features caricatures of Jews would fly in the US? For some reason I don't think so.

azyless

Tumblr's full of the same crap, showing covers and claiming they're homophobic/racist/whatever-phobic, while in context all those covers denounce discrimination.
Sucks to have Charlie Hebdo associated with that for wrong reasons I guess. Sure it was all pretty distasteful and vulgar, I am far from a fan myself, but I don't know of any sane french person that would qualify CH as racist or homophobic, quite the contrary even.

I'm not American nor do I know that author but honestly, do you think that a magazine that sometimes features caricatures of Jews would fly in the US? For some reason I don't think so.

Anti defamation League are quick to put down anything like what Gary Oldman said about Jews controlling Hollywood:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844895&highlight=oldman

Having said that I think general status quo is that there isn't really anything like Charlie Hebdo outside of France which took the piss out of many things outright.

What a fucking hero.

I hope he gets the french citizenship and la légion d'honneur as a reward.

Mainstream media keeping this on the low if you ask me.

I don't know of any sane french person that would qualify CH as racist or homophobic, quite the contrary even.

Many do. Charlie Hebdo stopped being popular among the left of the left, precisely because of it, and because of their pro-European constitution stance (Philippe Val would insult all opponents and call them "fascists" even if they were left-wing).

Lender

I've been working all day so I haven't been able to follow up on the story, but I've just read that Boumeddiene is already in Turkey and on her way to Syria. How the bloody hell is this possible?

azyless

Many do. Charlie Hebdo stopped being popular among the left of the left, precisely because of it, and because of their pro-European constitution stance (Philippe Val would insult all opponents and call them "fascists" even if they were left-wing).

I've heard the same thing about Val and Charlie Hebdo changing when he joined, that's true. I don't remember seeing anything racist from them, however, but like I said I'm not a fan so maybe I've missed them, and if so I apologize. Tumblr probably missed them as well since they're using Dieudonné and the Taubira/monkey thing to prove that CH is racist.

It makes me wonder if anyone actually saw the cartoon that got them killed. You know, the one that says what every moderate muslim is saying right now.

I've been working all day so I haven't been able to follow up on the story, but I've just read that Boumeddiene is already in Turkey and on her way to Syria. How the bloody hell is this possible?

It's possible she was never there. Either a mistake altogether or it was someone else. But in any case she was involved, if only as a planner.

edit: I think. This is very confusing.

Remember the pictures of Charb's girlfriend (former minister Jeannette Bougrab) crying next to the Charlie Hebdo HQ (for which some newspapers faced criticism) and on TV sets?

Well...

Charb's family denies he had any relationship with her and asks that she stop talking to the media about Charb in any way whatsoever (Source: AFP)

Holy shit.

PopeReal

I don't think so.

Charlie Hebdo was trash.

Now they've been attacked they're suddenly something to be respected, not just lent sympathy.

The attacks were wrong but that doesn't make Charlie Hebdo right, yet that seems to be the message spreading.

His timing is perfect.

What do you mean that doesn't make them right?

What do they have to do exactly to be "right"?

Having an opinion expressed via journalism doesn't have to be right to everybody. That is the point you are missing.

I don't think so.

Charlie Hebdo was trash.

His timing is perfect.

Nobody's asking anybody to respect Charlie Hebdo. I don't think Charlie Hebdo themselves would have asked for respect, since their job is to disrespect everything. All people are asking is that you don't fucking KILL them.

Alx

CNN just got this. Apparently sleeper cells in France have been activated in the last 24hrs. I don't know if that means attacks are imminent or not. But not exactly positive news going into one of the largest rallies in recent French History.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/10/europe/charlie-hebdo-paris-shooting/

Don't they realize what "terror" means ? They're really not helping by instilling fear in the population.
Whatever the risk, I'm going to the meeting because one of its goals is to show we're not afraid.

Zaph

CNN just got this. Apparently sleeper cells in France have been activated in the last 24hrs. I don't know if that means attacks are imminent or not. But not exactly positive news going into one of the largest rallies in recent French History.

CNN have posted a lot of scaremongering shit during during this whole tragedy - I wouldn't read too much into it. After a terrorist attack of this significance, there's bound to be increased chatter.

Charb's family denies he had any relationship with her and asks that she stop talking to the media about Charb in any way whatsoever (Source: AFP)

Holy shit.

Think there's any truth to the family's claims? Lots of news agencies ran the interview, including claims they lived together with her adopted daughter.

Think there's any truth to the family's claims? Lots of news agencies ran the interview, including claims they lived together with her adopted daughter.

I have no idea. It's probably none of my business but I'd like to know more, because that story is weird. If Bougrab is lying then she must have deep psychiatric issues or something.

Don't they realize what "terror" means ? They're really not helping by instilling fear in the population.
Whatever the risk, I'm going to the meeting because one of its goals is to show we're not afraid.

Exactly. CNN is just doing what the terrorists want. CNN is shit.

I really don't see how she could be lying... She was visibly sad, she was crying on air... WTF. There must have been some unknown disagreements between the two families or something :/ :/

Mrmartel

Banned
"French law enforcement officers have been told to erase their presence on social media and to carry their weapons at all times because terror sleeper cells have been activated over the last 24 hours in the country, CNN reported citing an unnamed French police source."

Why would they tell Police to erase their presence on social media?

Zaph

Makes it easier to track and aggregate police movements should they want to avoid them or pick a target should they want to kill another (especially if geotagging is left on).

Chariot

"French law enforcement officers have been told to erase their presence on social media and to carry their weapons at all times because terror sleeper cells have been activated over the last 24 hours in the country, CNN reported citing an unnamed French police source."

As protection for them and their families probably, so perpetrators have a harder time tracking down where law enforcers are, especially when their not on duty and thus less on guard.

Mimosa97

Well, no, that's not what it's about.
There are other civil decorations for such actions though.

What do you mean ? Les légions d'honneur have been been handed by the thousands to people who didn't deserve it. And it's been going on for years ... Please tell me how a TV actor deserves such a reward ?

Anti defamation League are quick to put down anything like what Gary Oldman said about Jews controlling Hollywood:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844895&highlight=oldman

Having said that I think general status quo is that there isn't really anything like Charlie Hebdo outside of France which took the piss out of many things outright.

Mainstream media keeping this on the low if you ask me.

One of the historical cartoonists got fired from Charlie Hebdo because he started criticizing Israel a bit too much. Though he did say ambiguous things about Jean Sarkozy (son of the ex-president) marrying a jewish heiress. But most people were shocked by the fact that he got fired for that. He won his trial and the journal had to pay him a lot of money.

Having said that, Charlie hebdo was run at the time by a heavy Israel supporter. That didn't stop them from mocking rabbis though. The boss left Charlie Hebdo a few years ago and became a friend of the President Sarkozy (right-wing) who appointed him as the head of the big public radio conglomerate. The cartoonists felt betrayed soo they turned their back on him.

Charlie Hebdo was a one-of-a-kind journal. There isn't another one in the World. I'm not saying that France is " superior ", not at all, but I don't think there's another country in the World where cartoonists could have been drawing such cartoons on a weekly basis. When i look at the other big democracies, i don't see any magazine or newspaper remotely as brave as Charlie Hebdo. It's our culture heritage that allows such satire to stay alive. I hope that what happened the last fews days will only make French satire even stronger.

Raist

Banned

"CNN"

Yeah, ok.

What do you mean ? Les légions d'honneur have been been handed by the thousands to people who didn't deserve it. And it's been going on for years ... Please tell me how a TV actor deserves such a reward ?

Just read up on why it was created by Napoléon, what it is exactly, and eligibility criteria.

Long story short, it is a awarded to french citizens regardless of their profession, and rewards long-standing services to the country in general, be it military, public service, arts, sports, science and whatnot. It's not meant to be for one-off bravery acts.

So yes, people who got it do deserve it.

Mimosa97

No one in France takes CNN seriously since they were unable to draw a correct Map of France during the 2005 riots.

Seriously, this is how the news work in American : if there's an attack, make sure people start panicking so that they stay home watching the news. That way, CNN makes a lot of money.

Scumbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom