• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He seems to me just like an opportunist who tried to make fame for himself on the back of brothers Kouachi's attack.

Flintty

I'm watching BBC News 24 and these images from France, wow! What a reaction to the terrorists. How can terrorists think they are successful when they see reactions like this? Fucking awesome.

Chariot

I'm watching BBC News 24 and these images from France, wow! What a reaction to the terrorists. How can terrorists think they are successful when they see reactions like this? Fucking awesome.
In my mind IS leaders are sitting in an dirty underground room, giggling and high fiving each other, try to imagine how france, europe and the whole west now shake in fear. Then someone puts the television on and their faces freeze as they see how many and who are attends to support france.

In my mind IS leaders are sitting in an dirty underground room, giggling and high fiving each other, try to imagine how france, europe and the whole west now shake in fear. Then someone puts the television on and their faces freeze as they see how many and who are attends to support france.

I wish I had your optimism, in my mind this gathering is the easy part, as far as politics goes.

Chariot

I wish I had your optimism, in my mind this gathering is the easy part, as far as politics goes.
Ah, that is only my fuzzy dreaming. They probably looked at the situation without much break and are aware about all this. I also think they can salvage a victory for themselves, since they managed to make the whole of europe jump with only four people.

Flintty

Exactly that! Lol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Anyhow one thing is for sure, many more people have seen the Muhammad cartoons in the last days than in the whole history of Charlie Hebdo, that's one achievement of the terrorists.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not been keeping up with this thread.

Was that incapacitated officer actually killed? In the uncensored video it doesn't look like he was hit, was this just misreported?

Not going in for the conspiracy theories, just curious about this part.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Was that incapacitated officer actually killed? In the uncensored video it doesn't look like he was hit, was this just misreported?

Yes, he was killed. Ahmed Merabet is his name.

Joni

He is the muslim police officer that was killed.

Amedy Coulibaly had a Go Pro strapped around his belly when he attacked the grocery store, German Bild reports, citing Joel Oualid, the brother of the store owner Patrice Oualid. Coulibaly reportedly asked his hostages to look into the camera and greet ISIS.

Patrice Oualid who was shot in the arm when he fled intends to move back to Israel with his family.

http://www.bild.de/news/ausland/gei...besitzers-spricht-exklusiv-39288894.bild.html

I hoped he also captured footage of the RAID gunning him down.

rambis

Banned
Has this been posted yet?

Lassana Bathily: the Paris kosher supermarket hero

In short: Muslim supermarket worker saved at least 6 hostages by hiding them in the cold storage room. He's also an ex (?) illegal immigrant.
"Police originally thought Bathily was a conspirator when he managed to escape through a goods lift. “They told me, ‘get down on the ground, hands over your head’. They cuffed me and held me for an hour and a half as if I was with them,” he added. Once freed he was able to give them details of the layout of the store and where people were hiding."

Really don't know how to feel about this. 1 step forward and 2 back?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
By the way, President François Hollande has just talked to him on the phone:

Hollande a téléphoné à l'Hyper Cacher

François Hollande a téléphoné ce matin à Lassana Bathily, l'employé de l'Hyper Cacher de Paris, pour le féliciter d'avoir aidé vendredi des clients paniqués à se dissimuler dans la chambre froide de la supérette pendant la prise d'otages.

Le chef de l'Etat a passé un coup de téléphone au directeur de l'entreprise pour lui exprimer ses condoléances après l'assassinat de quatre clients de la supérette par le jihadiste revendiqué Amedy Coulibaly.

Il a ensuite téléphoné à Lassana Bathily, un employé d'origine malienne et musulman pratiquant. C'est lui qui, selon son témoignage à plusieurs télévisions, a ouvert la porte de la chambre froide à plusieurs personnes voulant échapper à l'assaillant.

By the way, President François Hollande has just talked to him on the phone:
A sentence or two in English would be appricated. I understand a lot of French, especially written, but I know a lot of others don't.

That articles says he spoke to the Muslim worker who helped people hide in the freezer

A sentence or two in English would be appricated. I understand a lot of French, especially written, but I know a lot of others don't.

That articles says he spoke to the Muslim worker who helped people hide in the freezer

Translation:

Hollande has talked on the phone to Lassana Bathily - employee of the Hyper Cacher (grocery store) in Paris, to congratulate him from helping terrified clients to hide in the cold room of the store during the hostage crisis, on friday.

The head of the State gave a call to the director of the company to express his condolences after the assassination of four of the superette's clients by jihadist Amedy Coulibaly.

He then called Lassana Bathily, an employee of malian origin and a practicing muslim. According to his testimony to several TV channels, he's the one who opened the door of the cold room to several people trying to escape the attacker

lemmykoopa

Regarding free speech. Aren't we also taught that it isn't wise to mock or provocate dangerous people? Sure, they had the right to do so, but if you are stating that radical islamists are idiots (I'm not saying they aren't) in a cartoon, how smart is this? If Vito Corleone lived in your neighbourhood would you put up a cartoon or a paper on your front window that is making fun of him?

Now these people at Charlie Hebdo were "brave" enough to not only laugh with "non-dangerous" people but also with dangerous ones. Was it worth it? They are dead now :(. But not only did the people who took this risk die, people who had nothing to do with this (the two cops at Charlie Hebdo, the 4 people in the supermarket) died because of this too.

I know that for example if Ahmed the cop was my father I would feel 90% anger towards the obvious perpetrators, but would for sure feel at least some anger towards Charlie Hebdo too.

Guy.brush

A video allegedly of Amedy Coulibaly, the attacker on the Paris grocery store, has been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216UdhF9FIg

LOL a wrinkled bedsheet, a DIN A4 printed paper showing his flag and no lights to illuminate him.

BTW was this posted already: Some scum threw molotov or similar fire accelerant on an archive building of the HAMBURGER MORGENPOST (one of the newspapers that reprinted the cartoons after the massacre)

Chariot

Regarding free speech. Aren't we also taught that it isn't wise to mock or provocate dangerous people? Sure, they had the right to do so, but if you are stating that radical islamists are idiots (I'm not saying they aren't) in a cartoon, how smart is this? If Vito Corleone lived in your neighbourhood would you put up a cartoon or a paper on your front window that is making fun of him?

Now these people at Charlie Hebdo were "brave" enough to not only laugh with "non-dangerous" people but also with dangerous ones. Was it worth it? They are dead now :(. But not only did the people who took this risk die, people who had nothing to do with this (the two cops at Charlie Hebdo, the 4 people in the supermarket) died because of this too.

I know that for example if Ahmed the cop was my father I would feel 90% anger towards the obvious perpetrators, but would for sure feel at least some anger towards Charlie Hebdo too.
Please, no.
What do you think political satire, or any satire is about?

That anger would be misplaced, because the reason Charlie Hebdo was in danger was because nobody else wanted to discuss the matter. The festering relations between majority and minority cultures were left alone until something broke. Everybody became Charlie only after the attacks, and they will cease to be Charlie once the news cycle moves on.

lemmykoopa

That anger would be misplaced, because the reason Charlie Hebdo was in danger was because nobody else wanted to discuss the matter. The festering relations between majority and minority cultures were left alone until something broke. Everybody became Charlie only after the attacks, and they will cease to be Charlie once the news cycle moves on.

How constructive was a cartoon decipting the prophet as a terrorist to the whole matter? It only provoked, it brought nothing on the table.

Also this whole "i am Charlie" hype leaves a soure taste in my mouth. How much of these people would be willing to put up such a cartoon on their front window house which is situated in an urban area?

Dilly

Banned
How constructive was a cartoon decipting the prophet as a terrorist to the whole matter? It only provoked, it brought nothing on the table.

Also this whole "i am Charlie" hype leaves a soure taste in my mouth. How much of these people would be willing to put up such a cartoon on their front window house which is situated in an urban area?

Considering some people still view a cartoon as offensive, and be willing to kill over it. The excistence of the cartoon itself is constructive.

Hrothgar

Loving all these variants on the age-old "they brought it upon themselves"-type posts...

Now I don't know the full span of what Charlie Hebdo did, but what I've seen seems pretty lame, old men making off color jokes. But that's in no way a thing that Muslims can't participate in. If society was open to it.

Guy.brush

You need to see the bigger picture. That cartoon is one of the few ways an educated, secularized (and tolerant) society can make a dent in the veil of religion.
Religion needs to be critized like anything else, how else are we going to move forward as a species. If unchecked, religions have a habit of spreading around, especially in poverished areas. If there is no dissenting voice that reaches believers, they only hear what their church/cleric wants them to hear and as the formula of religions has been perfected over thousand of years - they grow more devout, dedicated and yes extremist in some cases.
If we don't have cartoons that shine a light on certain things, it will only get worse and worse.
Anti-women, anti-semitism, anti-homosexuality, anti-free speech. You gotta be able to hold up a mirror to people like these and tell them: Look there is society right where you live that doesn't have any of this and we like to keep it that way.

I don't understand how even non-terrorists make such a scandal off of crude drawings. I mean, if someone made fun of whatever minority I'm a part of, or even insulted my mother or something, I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't protest and say 'You have insulted my prophet, etc.'. I'd just ignore it. Hell, I see a thousand offensive posts on 4chan every day. If I had to protest in the streets or in the media for every one of them I would never have a life.

Perhaps the best way to oppose an offensive opinion is to ignore it.

You need to see the bigger picture. That cartoon is one of the few ways an educated, secularized (and tolerant) society can make a dent in the veil of religion.
Religion needs to be critized like anything else, how else are we going to move forward as a species. If unchecked, religions have a habit of spreading around, especially in poverished areas. If there is no dissenting voice that reaches believers, they only hear what their church/cleric wants them to hear and as the formula of religions has been perfected over thousand of years - they grow more devout, dedicated and yes extremist in some cases.
If we don't have cartoons that shine a light on certain things, it will only get worse and worse.
Anti-women, anti-semitism, anti-homosexuality, anti-free speech. You gotta be able to hold up a mirror to people like these and tell them: Look there is society right where you live that doesn't have any of this and we like to keep it that way.

That's way too antagonising. The lesson is this: Islam is part of Europe. And that means we all take the good with the bad, to live together peacefully.

Goodstyle

Have you seen the "star is born" comic? That doesn't feel like something that's meant to educate, that's just something meant to antagonize Muslims. Conversely, there was a CH artists he was fired for drawing something that was allegedly anti-semitic.The message I'm getting here is definitely not one of free speech I can assure you.

vpance

I don't understand how even non-terrorists make such a scandal off of crude drawings. I mean, if someone made fun of whatever minority I'm a part of, or even insulted my mother or something, I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't protest and say 'You have insulted my prophet, etc.'. I'd just ignore it. Hell, I see a thousand offensive posts on 4chan every day. If I had to protest in the streets or in the media for every one of them I would never have a life.

Perhaps the best way to oppose an offensive opinion is to ignore it.

You won't understand it because you're not immersed in the religion, and it's not part of your culture.

Think of it like that episode of Star Trek TNG where Picard gets trapped on a planet with a guy from a race they never met before. He only spoke in metaphors, so Picard couldn't understand him and why they were there. Imagine if Picard was like, fuck this, threw up his hands and told Riker to start broadcasting messages mocking the race. How constructive would this really be?

I'm not Muslim, but I can imagine this may be how it feels for a normal follower of Islam.

Renzoku

Banned

Oh good. More victim blaming.

If Fox News HQ was bombed tomorrow, I would be outraged. I hate them, and all of the vile shit they say, but they have the right to say it because free speech is that vital to society.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Accepting cultural differences should really go both ways, you know? Especially when we're talking about the basis of the society of the country you are in: freedom of speech. The only things that should be enforced on the population of a country are the laws (including the laws that prohibits racism, hate speech and so on), not the desires of an imaginary friend, be it from whatever religion. If one wants to leave in a country where religious laws are the same as country laws, there are plenty of countries like that around the world.

You won't understand it because you're not immersed in the religion, and it's not part of your culture.

Think of it like that episode of Star Trek TNG where Picard gets trapped on a planet with a guy from a race they never met before. He only spoke in metaphors, so Picard couldn't understand him and why they were there. Imagine if Picard was like, fuck this, threw up his hands and told Riker to start broadcasting messages mocking the race. How constructive would this really be?

I'm not Muslim, but I can imagine this may be how it feels for a normal follower of Islam.

And what about France culture and all the sacrifices and deaths French citizens from all origins have made to be part of this country?
Shouldn't this be respected too?

A paper, with very low tirage, who have more in common with a Porn mag than your regular newspaper, isn't something disrespectful or insulting. It's just a part of a country with lot of diversity and cultural legacy and that should be respected.

Context and history is very important.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You've already been called out by a few other people, but this is pure victim-blaming nonsense. They did not deserve to die because of the cartoons. They were not "asking for it." It's imperative that society is not forced to tiptoe around crazy people for fear of what they might do. Doing so only gives more power and control to the crazy people.

Police chief investigator on Charlie Hebdo case commits suicide

Couldn't find it on normal news sites but here's the original French source

How's the French source?

which is already fueling speculation as to the covert nature of the Charlie Hebdo false flag affair.

Nice source bro

Also, police officers kill themselves at any time in the year, it's not even that rare. Also, he was not in charge of the whole Charlie Hebdo affair. Just one of the many officers on the case.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I read some more from that site and changed the source a little while ago, but there aren't many to choose from - not many sites are reporting it.

It's why I asked about the French source.

It's just bullshit that is being spun by conspiranoic sites all over the world (and this one even points to a malware WhatsApp download if you visit it on mobile, so that's even more wonderful). That man was just one of the many officers involved in the case, not the lead nor anything remotely close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom