• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY Twitch Marathon |OT| Oct 9 Will Be The Day

Oh shit of course yeah, you saw it! Just one question on that: Did they show the new opening? If so, how'd it rank against the others. I'm just hoping it's a step up from 4.

They did show the new opening! I really enjoyed it a lot myself.

Visually, it continued the trend from V4 on being far more "anime-esque" in its style than the first three OPs. Musically this was probably my second favorite OP in the series. Best one since "Time To Say Goodbye" imo, but it is pretty different. A bit more thrash/punk, but it's also not as outright dark and bleak as the V3 opening was. Your musical tastes may vary though.

Geist-

If Faunus were real, this show would be super racist wouldn't it? They're all about those animal stereotypes lol.

Edit: I love that chat is still using MILLIONS DEAD.

On a side note: I would LOVE it, given RWBY's love of fairy tale symbolism, that 'Third Crusade' is actually a story of significance within Remnant that is often referenced. I love stories within stories.

Edit:

And there goes that V1 Ruby voice. I didn't realise I'd miss it.

Emerald has so much potential to be a great character.

She will be for sure, Vol 4 needed to be Cinder centric as far as that trio is concerned since she was the most effected by the events of Volume 3's finale. There was a lot that was needed to have been shown about her post the encounter with Ruby's silver eyes - and for good reason as she's somewhat more understandable now (ironic as she doesn't speak much now, I know). Merc is questionable since his story revolves around Yuri being available and he likes to keep himself busy, so I'm banking on more Emerald - in fact I think her being a potential maiden in waiting isn't a ludicrous idea.

If she was in the first volume they probably would have made a joke about it. I think they may have realized how it was coming off in the later volumes.

What strikes me as odd as the series goes on is, I get the Faunus are an allegoric representation of racial inequality, but by using an actual mutated and evolved splinter race of humanity - that, as Adam uncomfortably notes, are more advanced biologically than humans - the circumstances wherein humanity were capable of collectively regard them as second-class citizens doesn't make that much sense. Unless it's been stated somewhere that Faunus are a minority in population on a global scale, it is a bit dubious.

They did show the new opening! I really enjoyed it a lot myself.

Visually, it continued the trend from V4 on being far more "anime-esque" in its style than the first three OPs. Musically this was probably my second favorite OP in the series. Best one since "Time To Say Goodbye" imo, but it is pretty different. A bit more thrash/punk, but it's also not as outright dark and bleak as the V3 opening was. Your musical tastes may vary though.

Glad to hear! After just listening to 'Time to Say Goodbye' again it's probably my favourite too.

Geist-

Best OP in the show.

What strikes me as odd as the series goes on is, I get the Faunus are an allegoric representation of racial inequality, but by using an actual mutated and evolved splinter race of humanity - that, as Adam uncomfortably notes, are more advanced biologically than humans - the circumstances wherein humanity were capable of collectively regard them as second-class citizens doesn't make that much sense, unless it's been stated somewhere that Faunus are a minority in population on a global scale.

I'm not sure if it was outright stated, but the only majority faunus country in Remnant is Menagerie.

Best OP in the show.

I'm not sure if it was outright stated, but the only majority faunus country in Remnant is Menagerie.

Which in itself is a little odd in retrospect, considering every notable faunus presented to us prior to Beacon's fall (Blake, Velvet, Sun, Tusken, and Neon all come to mind) had to suffer very little racial hostility, and in the cases like Velvet, it was very clear to anyone watching Carden was wholly abhorable for his actions, as too was Weiss's opinions. Sun was chased for being a stowaway, and Neon - despite being from Atlas (the most intolerant nation as it stands) seems very comfortable in general society. Based on what we saw of Vale, did the faunus need their own home? Based on what we're told by Blake, then yes, and Carden, Weiss and Torchwick are all examples of racists in Vale, but they seem like outliers if Ruby, Yang, Pyhrra etc are comparable.

I guess Rooster Teeth - or more specifically Miles and Kerry - didn't really take the task of tackling a subject so deep as racial inequality seriously for those first three seasons. They either made a joke about it (which they even started to lay off on as Chibi went on I think), or used Blake as a form of verbal exposition of how bad the world of Remnant is, whilst no-one outside the privileged Weiss or the bully Carden, or the total scumbag (sorry RedHoodedOwl!) Torchwick, ever really showed any discrimination or malcontent towards Faunus. For being a discriminatory race, there wasn't much shown to back up the need for ideological extremists like Adam's faction of the White Fang.

Ilia's story in the Blake short already conveyed SO much more about their plight than Blake's speeches, which is imo how you convey to an audience how severe the issue is in this show, by taking it to the most personal level as a little girl trying to blend in, only to find her own grief a form of amusement to those she thought she could trust. Granted in Volume 4 they did make strides to start showing us how the world at large views Faunus to justify a group like the White Fang existing (though mainly Atlas). This is the kind of stuff they should've been showing us as early as these first two volumes being screened, had they done so then the White Fang would be considered far less one-dimensional as they do in the Beacon arc.

Edit:

OT wish they'd have kept their alt costumes for the season to be honest. Especially Yang.

dpunk3

Saw the premiere last night, left very disappointed.

Too much talking, a couple of scenes where Ruby and the rest of JNPR learned about the maidens and the relics, and Yang decking some dude in the face for hitting on her (imo the only really decent part of the whole premier, I kek'd). Then they met Oscar and learned he is Ozpin and that's literally where it ended. Talking the entire episode and no real new things brought to light, just old information extrapolated and barely anything more explained.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Too much talking, a couple of scenes where Ruby and the rest of JNPR learned about the maidens and the relics, and Yang decking some dude in the face for hitting on her (imo the only really decent part of the whole premier, I kek'd). Then they met Oscar and learned he is Ozpin and that's literally where it ended. Talking the entire episode and no real new things brought to light, just old information extrapolated and barely anything more explained.

Sounds like RWBY. They still haven't really nailed episode pacing. Will they actually have consistent episode lengths this next volume? Just seems really weird to me that they still can't even get that down.

Luigi87

While Twitch goes through Volume 3, started watching the first ep of volume 4.
... It's so weird seeing real-time shadows on the characters.

Honestly, I had practically the exact opposite takeaway. It was like a breath of fresh air for me after feeling let down in general from V4.

The show doesn't have to always be action-focused. While there was a lot of talking going on, it at least felt far more focused to me than it did during Volume 4. All of the scenes in the episode felt like it was actually leading up to something, even Weiss' short scene on the bulkhead.

But yeah, Yang's scene at the gas station was by far my favorite part. Not just for her getting to be a badass again and punching that bandit out of the room like a ping pong ball, but because of the ways it establishes how she's different now from the beginning of the series and is still clearly suffering from PTSD.

Sounds like RWBY. They still haven't really nailed episode pacing. Will they actually have consistent episode lengths this next volume? Just seems really weird to me that they still can't even get that down.

I think it's because of the budget. As for episode lengths, they've been getting progressively longer on average per volume. There's still a few episodes per volume that will dip back down to the 10-12 minute mark, but they've generally been rising more to the 15-20 minute long mark.

I didn't watch 1-3 till way after release. Watched 1 on netflix, 2 on rooster teeths site (partially). Watched them in their entirety when i bought the beacon steelbook bluray set, and then watched vol 4 when it hit bluray.

I'll be watching this one once it hits on RT's site.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think it's because of the budget. As for episode lengths, they've been getting progressively longer on average per volume. There's still a few episodes per volume that will dip back down to the 10-12 minute mark, but they've generally been rising more to the 15-20 minute long mark.

Yes, but EVERY animated series has to work around budget. It's easier to plan for production if you have consistent running times to work against. For writers, for storyboard/pre-viz, for directors, for everyone.

It was understandable when they first started out, with things being all over the place. But they should be established enough at this point. Yeah, Rooster Teeth doesn't have the resources of a Lucasfilm Animation or whatever (which is where most of my experience is from), but I just can't wrap my head around the production planning they'd have to do otherwise. Just feels like they don't know an episode's particular run time until they're done with final renders and edits.

Geist-

Do you guys binge or watch every week? Dont know if I can handle the 15 minutes episodes once a week.
I've binged every volume except the final 4 episodes of Volume 4, but I'll be watching weekly for volume 5. I blame the marathon for showing me how much fun it is to discuss RWBY as it airs.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm glad I finally got exposed to this series. I've always been aware of it's existence but never looked into it. The animation and voice talent is off putting at times, but the characters really sell the series. I think the major thing I'm disappointed about now is how the series took a turn into this god of light vs dark thing. Even so I'm looking extra forward to BlazBlue cross tag now.

A part of Volume 5's opening has leaked onto youtube, I liked it a lot but its potato quality so remains to be seen how good the whole thing ends up being.

PixelatedBookake

It's interesting how many characters are missing/taking a backseat in Volume 4. It's good for character development of RWBY and JNPR but it's a bit lame to see so many fan-favorites take a backseat.

You know watching this first scene in Episode 4 again it really brings up a good question.

Why was the silver eyes power so effective on Cinder? I first thought that it was because she used that grimm glove thing to steal Amber's power but the way Salem says it it makes it seem like the power of silver eyes would effect any of the maidens. That would be... odd to say the least and makes me wonder where the power itself comes from. I might need to watch that scene again.

She was also terrified of Raven.

Given both are outlaws, I imagine she knows damn well who's she's taking on. Even Torchwick noped out of fighting a professional huntress. Neo has got to be smart to nope out of both a professional huntress and a cold blooded bandit.

Top Bottom