• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY Twitch Marathon |OT| Oct 9 Will Be The Day

PixelatedBookake

So I've started watching the marathon and I remembered how much of a "Poochie" type cool character Yang comes off as. She's got sunglasses, a motorcycle and a cool Super-Saiyan mode. Like....UGH WE GET IT YOU WANT US TO LIKE HER

Yang is my favorite character OH GOD SEASON 4 COME OUT ALREADY

Alucrid

Banned
isn't this made in unity or a game engine?

i also can't tell if the bad saturday morning cartoon vibes are purposeful and on point or completely accidental.

Geist-

The look improves as the show goes on.

It looks like this now (don't click if you'd prefer to follow the stream and watch the visuals evolve):

https://media.giphy.com/media/OgoGSSlruAHzW/giphy.gif
To be fair, that character short has almost no spoilers besides introducing a character that hasn't appeared yet. If you stop it at 3:00 than you can avoid that too while still checking out how much it's improved over the first volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0

So I've started watching the marathon and I remembered how much of a "Poochie" type cool character Yang comes off as. She's got sunglasses, a motorcycle and a cool Super-Saiyan mode. Like....UGH WE GET IT YOU WANT US TO LIKE HER

Yang is my favorite character OH GOD SEASON 4 COME OUT ALREADY

The hilarious and tragic thing about that is how despite how popular she is, Yang is usually the member of Team RWBY who Rooster Teeth ignore most often. While Ruby has less character development, they also usually use her as the POV character for one of the primary narratives of the volumes.

Thankfully someone called 'em out for that in a new interview earlier today, so hopefully we'll see more focus on Yang in V5.

PixelatedBookake

I forgot how bad the bully's VA is. Pyrrha's VA always stood out to me as the best VA of season 1.

EDIT: I don't really think team JNPR's VA altogether is that bad compared to RWBY's in season 1.

Gravidee

I might watch this show in JP dub lol, I can't handle the english VA

The English VA are really rough at the beginning of the series, but they do improve as the show goes along, just like the visuals. It's fun to see that sense of progress, whereas with the JP dub, they hired professionals right off the bat so there isn't really much of a difference between how the JP voices sound in Volume 3 compared to 1.

I'd advise watching the series in English first, before turning to the JP dub for comparison. But I guess it's really up to you.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ended up subscribing to the channel. The icons are just too cute to pass up and considering how it's only $2.50 for the first month, couldn't really see a reason as to why I shouldn't.

I believe they cover that in an extra video.

I believe it's a DVD exclusive world of Remant. At least it's on my DVD and not on YouTube so that's my guess.

Basically....

Human + Faunus=human baby or Faunus baby of the same type as the parent.

Faunus + same species Faunus=same species baby Faunus.

Faunus + different species Faunus=random Faunus type.

So if hypothetically Blake ended up with Jaune(according to the chart that's........Dark Knight) their kid could be human or a cat Faunus.

If she ended up with Sun their hypothetical child could be literally anything, from a dog to a lizard.

I believe it's a DVD exclusive world of Remant. At least it's on my DVD and not on YouTube so that's my guess.

Basically....

Human + Faunus=human baby or Faunus baby of the same type as the parent.

Faunus + same species Faunus=same species baby Faunus.

Faunus + different species Faunus=random Faunus type.

So if hypothetically Blake ended up with Jaune(according to the chart that's........Dark Knight) their kid could be human or a cat Faunus.

If she ended up with Sun their hypothetical child could be literally anything, from a dog to a lizard.

It's definitely on rooster teeth's website,think it's on YouTube too

Huh, can't find it on YouTube

Yeah, rooster teeth definitely hasn't put all their world of Remnant videos on YouTube yet. Anyways, here's the faunus video - http://www.roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-volume-4-volume-4-psa-2-0-d8gjd

Luigi87

Since I know I won't be able to resist watching the rest of RWBY, for the moment I checked out the first ep of RWBY Chibi.

The whole thing regarding the book had me laughing out loud.

It's difficult to believe that every dude in the academy would ignore Blake and Velvet because of their ears.

As an analog to racism, it makes perfect sense. I get the feeling that a lot of the population views them the same way that say, black people were viewed in the old deep south.

RWBY and JNPR get along with them just fine, at least post vol 1, but they obviously face a lot of grief, even from other teams.

As an analog to racism, it makes perfect sense. I get the feeling that a lot of the population views them the same way that say, black people were viewed in the old deep south.

RWBY and JNPR get along with them just fine, at least post vol 1, but they obviously face a lot of grief, even from other teams.

Just a minor nitpick, but Blake is a closet faunus
during the first three volumes
. The other students outside of the core group of friends (RWBY/JNPR/Sun+Neptune) didn't seem to know that Blake is a faunus.

But yeah, it's clear there's some amount of xenophobia towards the faunus in RWBY. The issue is that they've never really done all that good a job at really elaborating it and demonstrating it. The whole White Fang subplot in general is one of the weakest parts of RWBY's story, which is a shame, given the amount of potential it could offer if executed properly.

At first glance, I thought Blake's dad was human.

I didn't realize until a couple months ago that Ghira's faunus trait are his cat feet. They look like boots at first glance.

Geist-

It's difficult to believe that every dude in the academy would ignore Blake and Velvet because of their ears.
We recently had a whole thread asking if it was racist to refuse to date black people. I can absolutely believe humans are superficial enough to not date people who have animal traits (especially since the show takes place relatively soon after a literal race war).

But yeah, it's clear there's some amount of xenophobia towards the faunus in RWBY. The issue is that they've never really done all that good a job at really elaborating it and demonstrating it. The whole White Fang subplot in general is one of the weakest parts of RWBY's story, which is a shame, given the amount of potential it could offer if executed properly.

This is my main problem regarding the White Fang and Faunus. there are the implications of slavery and persecutions but we never see it.

The new Blake short had someone telling a story of pretty explicit persecution.

And that was arguably the best the show's ever handled that issue to date. Though it has a rather glaring issue in execution; it's telling us, not showing us. Which is how RWBY has almost always handled that.

Do black people even exist in RWBY?

There are. Flynt Coal of Team FNKI from Volume 3 comes to mind. And of course, there's also Emerald.

But if my memory serves me right, Word of God is that the only real form of persecution or xenophobia that exists in Remnant is between the humans and the faunus. Sexuality and race aren't an issue. It's not something said in any of the World of Remnant videos, but I think it was mentioned by Monty or one of the other CRWBY members some time ago.

The big problem for me is how CRWBY has been saying for three years now how there's totally LGBT characters in the cast, but never bother to actually come out and say who they are. Hell, they made a big hoopla going into V3 about how one of the new characters in the volume was someone that Monty was very firm to the crew about being gay and we still to this day don't know for sure who that mystery character was (though the common guess is that it's Scarlet from Sun's team).

Skittles

that was hype

Man, power ranger marathon has been handled the best so far. Yall really just gonna put up a blank screen with elevator music between eps? Where's my clip the clip moments?

"I can't stand people like him" Doesn't do shit when he's bullying someone

Luigi87

So accidentally spoiled myself a future event by watching RWBY Chibi... But I can't stop watching. It's just so damn funny!

Unfortunately due to other obligations, I doubt I'll be able to watch the Twitch stream of vol. 2 tomorrow D=

Top Bottom