• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu ga Gotoku 4 Announced

Defuser

You know who else is gonna voice in RGG4?

2132391348_view.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/16/nagoshi_on_yakuza_sequel/

Nagoshi Talks Yakuza Sequel
Plus, what does the man with the healthy tan think about tailoring games to Western audiences?
Posted Sep 16, 2009 at 23:22, by Anoop Gantayat

Yakuza mastermind Toshihiro Nagoshi has been talking up the next entry in the series ahead of its Tokyo Game Show debut next week. The well tanned creator appeared on Tokyo FM radio program Wonderful World today, and major sites like andriasang.com Famitsu.com and Dengeki Online were invited to attend the recording.

The main topic of conversation during the broadcast itself was the Yakuza (known here in Japan as Ryu ga Gotoku) series in general, but Nagoshi did get in a few Yakuza 4 comments.

Nagoshi spoke about the trend in the Japanese game industry to consider the worldwide market when creating large scale games. Echoing past statements on the matter, he said that he believes it impossible for a Japanese developer to mimic an overseas developer when making games. Instead, he places the focus on "making a game as a Japanese person."

He feels that "Wabi Sabi" (I've lived here 8 years and I had no idea what that was!) and works that reflect these concepts are well received overseas. However, he believes that it's possible to show the qualities of Japan in more dynamic areas as well.

Regarding Yakuza 4, he said, "this is the Ryu ga Gotoku I've most wanted to make." Ideas that he's had in mind since the first title are at last being put to use here.

Following the broadcast, Nagoshi fielded questions from the press. He confirmed that Yakuza 4 will appear in theater-only form at TGS. Don't cancel your Shinkansen ticket yet, though. The content of the trailer, he said, would make people who are already excited to buy the game even more excited. We'll even get a glimpse of a time when the character of Goro Majima did not wear an eye patch!

Speaking about the game's development in general, he said that this time around the team is taking care to reflect the opinions of players. Apparently, many asked that the game's drama volume be expanded, and that's what we'll be getting. But this won't just be a glorified movie, as Nagoshi assured that the mini games and other gameplay elements would be even stronger this time.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
lupinko said:
Too bad Sega didn't bring back Naoto Takenaka and Susumu Terajima for RGG4, both were so awesome in RGGK. :D

I just need my Shota again :(

Kagari said:
Regarding Yakuza 4, he said, "this is the Ryu ga Gotoku I've most wanted to make." Ideas that he's had in mind since the first title are at last being put to use here.

well ,I thinks this is BS , but lets see , hope it don't turn like Kojima's MGS4.

Flek

Banned
nice but tokyo again? Its the 4th time we get tokyo :( Whats about all the other great japanese citys…cmon gimme some yakuza action in nagoya, or kyoto or hiroshima or or or or … :(

Yakuza 1 = Tokyo
Yakuza 2 = Tokyo / Osaka
Yakuza Kenzan = Kyoto
Yakuza 3 = Tokyo / Okinawa
Yakuza 4 = Tokyo / ????

Id love to see the series taking part in china or korea for some missions :D Seoul would be awesome

Flek said:
nice but tokyo again? Its the 4th time we get tokyo :( Whats about all the other great japanese citys…cmon gimme some yakuza action in nagoya, or kyoto or hiroshima or or or or … :(

Yakuza 1 = Tokyo
Yakuza 2 = Tokyo / Osaka
Yakuza Kenzan = Kyoto
Yakuza 3 = Tokyo / Okinawa
Yakuza 4 = Tokyo / ????

Id love to see the series taking part in china or korea for some missions :D Seoul would be awesome
It seems like they're on a yearly schedule now, so I wouldn't expect Tokyo to go anywhere for a loooong time.

Flek

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
It seems like they're on a yearly schedule now, so I wouldn't expect Tokyo to go anywhere for a loooong time.

yeha sucks if you ask me…its getting so repetitive :/ mhew

The plot of Yakuza 4 takes players back to Kamurocho, the fictional red-light district that's a seething pot of mob outlaws and sleazy nightclubs. Now-legendary yakuza chief Kiryu is back in this town, caught up in a couple of seemingly-small mob skirmishes that quickly balloon into serious business -- but he's not the only main character this time.

The biggest new gimmick to Yakuza 4 is its four heroes, each with his own story -- you'll play through each character separately as the story demands. The rest of the cast: Shun Akiyama, a former homeless man who now runs a small-time loanshark outfit; Taiga Saejima, a yakuza assassin who escapes from prison 25 years after being involved in the massacre of 18 rival mobsters; and Masayoshi Tanimura, a thoroughly corrupt Kamurocho police detective.

Gameplay details are scant -- more is waiting for our intrepid crew at the Tokyo Game Show tomorrow, no doubt -- but Yakuza 4 promises to offer a more detailed game world than ever before. Kamurocho has been fully expanded and is much more explorable, with everything from underground sewers, back alleys and building rooftops now freely accessible. Visiting nightclubs and hitting up girls is just as important as before, and you'll even have a chance to "raise" your own nightclub girl, with Kiryu taking her out on dates and then other characters calling for her companionship when they visit the club later.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176143

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Shikashi said:
All over your face, etc.,? :D

With the force of a bicycle, my friend.

Every badass cliche in the urban crime book covered and a more detailed Kamurocho? They had me at Majima in a suit again.

GeoramA

Okay this sounds awesome. Bigger city and 4 playable criminals with their own stories. :D

Plus I'm glad they're sticking with the single-player only format. I thought for sure they were adding some gimmicky online/co-op mode.

EXGN

GeoramA said:
Okay this sounds awesome. Bigger city and 4 playable criminals with their own stories. :D

Plus I'm glad they're sticking with the single-player only format. I thought for sure they were adding some gimmicky online/co-op mode.

Did they specifically say no multiplayer? If anything, having 4 different characters would point towards at least having some sort of co-op or versus mode, maybe a separate thing like Uncharted 2 or Gears 2.

Sounding even better than I expected. I agree the series needs a break, but I think inevitably this will add some great things to the Yakuza formula. I'm not opposed to the idea of releasing titles continuously as long as there's a great story, great additions, and a quality presentation. However, it will need a break after this one - in the meantime, plan to release 4 here SEGA!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jett said:
Fucking hate Sega. No Kenzan, no Y3, no Y4, no nothing.

Damn straight! They should release games they are guaranteed to lose money cause I want them. Its all their fault nobody really cares about Yakuza.

Can someone tell me if there's a way to replay chapters in Yakuza 2?

Here's the deal -- I lost my Yakuza 2 save file on my PS3 so I want to dload a virtual save off of gamefaqs. But the only one they have is of a NEW GAME +, 100% complete. So is there anyway I can just boot up to the chapter I was on?

Any way at all?

kiryogi

Banned
Now I'm really hyped. :D I just finally finished 3 a few weeks ago too. 3 new characters to play as? Oh man. Fuck yes. And I totally want a capture of the 4 of them walking down Kamurocho. So badass.

same! :) ...

y'know, by the end of y3, i kinda thought kiryu'd be taking something of a back seat in y4, & it'd appear he will be - i think it's a great decision...

Top Bottom