• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu ga Gotoku 4 Announced

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Augemitbutter said:
looks like you're not happy with the technical aspects. i think they'd go way over their budget with full voice acting. remember, yakuza has a lot of story driven sidequests with rich character interaction. it would take them lots of time/money to voice every happening in this game, especially with the hired talent.

i think the next game should have better animation, thats top priority. everything else should come after that.

i dont believe it matters if you release your game with english subtitles in japan, or the rest of asia. the jp and asia versions are dedicated to their region and not meant to be sold outside respectively.

I just think it really hurts the presentation having unvoiced story segments. They would be better off getting random voice actors to do their characters if it was really a budget problem.

Animation also should be a priority. They need to stop reusing the PS2 animations and work on making movements look a bit smoother. Some more freedom of movement in the towns would be nice as well (less invisible walls, etc...)

Zefah said:
I just think it really hurts the presentation having unvoiced story segments. They would be better off getting random voice actors to do their characters if it was really a budget problem.

Animation also should be a priority. They need to stop reusing the PS2 animations and work on making movements look a bit smoother. Some more freedom of movement in the towns would be nice as well (less invisible walls, etc...)

they won't start hiring lesser know talent, it's a huge selling point their fans are familiar with.

i'm sure we see lots of technical improvements as time goes on. or at least the asians will.

Zoc

Zefah said:

God, no. That's exactly what I meant I said that RgG should learn from Oblivion's mistakes. Unvoiced sidequests, personally, don't bother me at all. They have a different, more novel-like pacing and mood, compared to the main story quests, which I for one appreciate.

The real problem, I think, is when they mix unvoiced and voiced segments of a single cutscene, with loading in between the segments. That's really jarring and weird.

duckroll

The RgG series needs a break. I played RgG1-2 and Kenzan, and I've still barely touched RgG3. While the presentation of the cutscenes and the direction is still pretty solid, the actual gameplay and engine is starting to feel really old. It's really been-there-done-that, and no longer as exciting or compelling as it used to be. Kenzan was imo, a really nice distraction, and if they did more of that sort I'll be a lot more interested because it would mean a real shake up in terms of story and setting possibilities. As it is, I doubt I'll even bother to buy RgG4, since it's just another Kazuma story in Tokyo. Give the guy a break, it's getting a little ridiculous that he has to deal with stupid shit year after year that keeps escalating for no reason.

Miburou

I thought RgG1 and 2 were ok, but I really loved Kenzan and part 3. Kenzan's setting and presentation was really ace, and 3 has so much content.

I'm looking forward to part 4, although I really wish they'd make a Kenzan like game again. And hopefully Tina Yuzuki makes it into part 4. ;)

Mooreberg

gutter_trash said:
Sega is dead to me,
I even removed them from FAN pages from my facebook.

they are sitting ona gold mine of Staurn and Dreamcast games ready to be DLCed..
they don't do squat

they could localize Yakuza 3 and it give it to us in the West
they don't do squat

VF fans yell and demand Virtua Fighter 5 R
they don't do squat

they have arcade games like After Burner Climax, but never release them for console or DLC
they don't do squat

they take old IPs and outsource them to 3rd parties and then they poop on them

and Sonic
well they have been pooping on this franchise for the last 8 - 5 years

lots of Gaffer who know me know I was a Sega fan and a Dreamcast nut,
but this gen (PS3/360/Wii), Sega has completely lost touch

It is amazing that in eight years as a third party they still haven't figured it out. I guess the Pachinko money means stupidity in perpetuity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
The RgG series needs a break. I played RgG1-2 and Kenzan, and I've still barely touched RgG3. While the presentation of the cutscenes and the direction is still pretty solid, the actual gameplay and engine is starting to feel really old. It's really been-there-done-that, and no longer as exciting or compelling as it used to be. Kenzan was imo, a really nice distraction, and if they did more of that sort I'll be a lot more interested because it would mean a real shake up in terms of story and setting possibilities. As it is, I doubt I'll even bother to buy RgG4, since it's just another Kazuma story in Tokyo. Give the guy a break, it's getting a little ridiculous that he has to deal with stupid shit year after year that keeps escalating for no reason.

A change in setting would be really nice. In RGG3 I was actually having a lot of fun in Okinawa and I began to lose interest in the game after an hour or two in Kamuro-cho and visiting Stardust (oh yay, another brawl in the host club...) and meeting all of the old characters.

Gorgon

I'd like a new spin off like Kenzan, but this time set in 1920's/1930's Japan.

The series has potential, but I agree that getting the same shit over and over again starts to get me burned on the series.

duckroll

Gorgon said:
I'd like a new spin off like Kenzan, but this time set in 1920's/1930's Japan.

The series has potential, but I agree that getting the same shit over and over again starts to get me burned on the series.

Why 20s/30s Japan, when it can be 20s/30s Shanghai or New York? Make Kazuma an immigrant of some sort. Lots of awesome potential for underworld stories there, and interesting themes to tackle like racism, immigration, etc.

Zoc

duckroll said:
Why 20s/30s Japan, when it can be 20s/30s Shanghai or New York? Make Kazuma an immigrant of some sort. Lots of awesome potential for underworld stories there, and interesting themes to tackle like racism, immigration, etc.

The thirties in Japan would be when they were allied with the Nazis and worshipped the Emperor. The yakuza were still minor outcasts who mostly ran gambling dens (according to Wikipedia), I assume similar to the way they were portrayed in Kenzan.

Kazuma could be cast as the leader of some kind of imaginary resistance against the militarists, it would be awesome (and of course could never be made).

duckroll

Zoc said:
The thirties in Japan would be when they were allied with the Nazis and worshipped the Emperor. The yakuza were still minor outcasts who mostly ran gambling dens (according to Wikipedia), I assume similar to the way they were portrayed in Kenzan.

Kazuma could be cast as the leader of some kind of imaginary resistance against the militarists, it would be awesome (and of course could never be made).

Yeah you know, I think it doesn't take a lot of reflection to see why a story like that would never fly in a mainstream game which is only popular within Japan. :p

Gorgon

duckroll said:

Could be, but I'm not seying that game actually becoming a reality, specialy the Kazuma immingrant in New York one. But it could work certainly. But my idea was more about keeping the series in Japan while avoiding getting stale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:
To people who have played all 3 and understood the stories of each, how would you rank them?

I haven't finished RGG3 yet, but for me it would be:

1 > Kenzan > 2 > 3

Maybe 3 will pick up later on, but the story hasn't been too interesting so far. I really wish they just did an interesting story entirely on Okinawa or something.

KTallguy

Banned
Kenzan was really fun, man.

I was sort of excited about RGG3 but it is kind of "samey" after RGG1 and 2.

I really like the ideas of him going to China or another country, but it would be a huge huge leap and a lot of the systems would have to change, like Kyabakura management and all that.

I personally wouldn't mind a China or America or Europe story... but it doesn't sound as marketable in Japan.

Tailzo

Zefah said:
I haven't finished RGG3 yet, but for me it would be:

1 > Kenzan > 2 > 3

Maybe 3 will pick up later on, but the story hasn't been too interesting so far. I really wish they just did an interesting story entirely on Okinawa or something.
Interesting to see so much love for Kenzan. Did you play through it with a faq, or can you read japanese?

klee123

I wouldn't have minded if RGG4 involved the two ideas which Nagoshi stated a while ago. Kazuma fighting zombies in space.

Sure the usual fanbase in Japan won't be too pleased with it, but it could be a lot of fun!

I want them to keep asian settings, we have GTA, Mafia etc. for "our" cities. As I don't know much about feudal japan or modern Tokio (even it is presented more in a ironic way like in GTA), I find these settings way more interesting because of that.
As I said earlier, a Yakuza game set in a Ghost in the Shell (SAC) like semi-futuristic universe would be a killer game for me.

Here are the winners from the hostess contest

wl6wl.jpg

vocab

chandoog said:
@bottom right

what the fuck ?

#9 scares me more.

Anyway, it seems Sega is running this series into the ground. Don't know much about 4, but if it's exactly like 3 I don't see the point. I know Japan likes playing the same games over and over, but man this series barely had any breathing room.

Also, I hate Sega for never bringing the third one over.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

rvy

Banned
Man, I feel like a 11 year old, these chicks gross me out.

leah_dizon_19.jpg

At least there's always the half-breeds, superior in every way to 100% Japanese females.

gogogow

Shikashi said:

Leahdizon.jpg

At least there's always the half-breeds, superior in every way to 100% Japanese females.
Only not a single percent of her is Japanese.

lupinko

Shikashi said:

leah_dizon_19.jpg

Not even close to being anything remotely Japanese. :lol :lol

Scribble

Haha @ No.16!

She's probably there for the otaku. She looks like the 'Voice Actress/Seiyuu' type.

Number 9 makes me laugh the most, though!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Whats wrong with the 16 ?

I am curious to see how your girlfriend/wife looks if you think the 16 is ugly :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kandrick said:
Whats wrong with the 16 ?

I am curious to see how your girlfriend/wife looks if you think the 16 is ugly :lol
She's out of place. Put any random persons girlfriends' picture next to celebrities and you'll notice it.

gogogow

No.16 is alright, she just has "stupid" hair and doesn't have your typical cutie pose.
Could've used a better picture.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
gogogow said:
No.16 is alright, she just has "stupid" hair and doesn't have your typical cutie pose.
Could've used a better picture.

Oh yeah, others sure do have superior hairstyle, no doubt. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Leah Dizon does have an ounce of Japanese in her... since she had her kid with that one dude and ruined my dreams.

*cries*

I like what the thread turned into.

NeoGAF we da best.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shikashi said:
There's only French-American and Chinese-Filipino.
gogogow said:
?
Exactly what I said, not a single percent Japanese.
With Filipino, you never know actually - a good chunk of us have some Japanese ancestry if you go back far enough, so there might actually be a few % points there. :lol

Scribble

Seiken said:
She's out of place. Put any random persons girlfriends' picture next to celebrities and you'll notice it.

:lol

They probably put her in for that exact reason, though.

They'll all look generically hot once in the game, anyway.

Top Bottom