• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2015 (working title) announced for PS Vita

This is not the end.
well it should be...never ever getting hyped for anything involving SE.

Not even mad at the announcement, heck, I will probably buy FF7 port for my PS4 as I want to get rid of my PS3 now, but to troll (the show was for fans not gamers in general) like that and get on stage and not even touch up the game slightly was the biggest slap in the face to fans I've ever seen. Signing petitions, tweeting, etc...The higher-ups knew full well people wanted a remastered FF7 and not a standard port, inexcusable.

Still, not trying to stink up the thread, this is a good announcement and great news for Vita. It got a nice amount of love at PSX and I hope this is a trend that continues.

Squire

Banned
well it should be...never ever getting hyped for anything involving SE.

Not even mad at the announcement, heck, I will probably buy FF7 port for my PS4 as I want to get rid of my PS3 now, but to troll (the show was for fans not gamers in general) like that and get on stage and not even touch up the game slightly was the biggest slap in the face to fans I've ever seen. Signing petitions, tweeting, etc...The higher-ups knew full well people wanted a remastered FF7 and not a standard port, inexcusable.

Still, not trying to stink up the thread, this is a good announcement and great news for Vita. It got a nice amount of love at PSX and I hope this is a trend that continues.

The PC port is the game touched up slightly.

The PC port is the game touched up slightly.

I don't know how many improvements to the game they made since the Steam version launched (other than the OST), but the PC port on Steam is just a rerelease of the shit version that came out in the 90s, with no improvements. It's actually kind of terrible. They didn't even update the game enough to include button prompts for modern controller.

So if it really is just a port of the PC version, then may lord have mercy on our souls.

Arzehn

Damn the game really exploded on Japanese gaming site esuteru. There's 3648 comments to the news. That's as much (if not more) as when Dragon Quest Heroes was announced.

Wonder if the game will be 2D or 3D.

Nimby

Banned
They could call this FF Legend: (Subtitle) in the west and raise it's chances for success by 100%.

I don't know how well this would work. SaGa games are nothing like Final Fantasy games; their plots are non-existent, their worlds are huge with little to no direction, and their mechanics are simply obtuse. I see it as a marketing scheme, tricking people into buying a product they otherwise wouldn't purchase because of a name change, and as a result I think it could definitely backfire.

If this game does come to the west, they'll have to market the fuck out of it. The last time they marketed a game to that extent was Unlimited Saga, which judging by the reactions of SE fans from that era, they expected Unlimited to be an off brand FFX. It was even sold with an FFX-2 demo disc as an incentive to buy it.

I really don't know how they'll effectively promote a new SaGa entry, it seems the only people somewhat interested are just SaGa fans. Marketing it as a "traditional JRPG experience" could work, but it would have to be on PS4 to really grab peoples attention. SaGa is unconventional, but it does resemble a classic JRPG somewhat. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the future, I'm already dying for more information.

Squire

Banned
I don't know how well this would work. SaGa games are nothing like Final Fantasy games; their plots are non-existent, their worlds are huge with little to no direction, and their mechanics are simply obtuse. I see it as a marketing scheme, tricking people into buying a product they otherwise wouldn't purchase because of a name change, and as a result I think it could definitely backfire.

If this game does come to the west, they'll have to market the fuck out of it. The last time they marketed a game to that extent was Unlimited Saga, which judging by the reactions of SE fans from that era, they expected Unlimited to be an off brand FFX. It was even sold with an FFX-2 demo disc as an incentive to buy it.

I really don't know how they'll effectively promote a new SaGa entry, it seems the only people somewhat interested are just SaGa fans. Marketing it as a "traditional JRPG experience" could work, but it would have to be on PS4 to really grab peoples attention. SaGa is unconventional, but it does resemble a classic JRPG somewhat. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the future, I'm already dying for more information.

I mean, yes, it's a marketing trick. That's why they did it before and why I think they should do it again. It'd get the game in more hands and while there's a chance some wouldn't like it (regardless of SGs history, we don't know what SG2015 is yet) we must also entertain the idea some people might actually love it because of how outward and different it might be.

SE is finally getting around to supporting Vita with original content.

Interesting, hopefully good news.

Squire

Banned
Seems a bit late for that. 2015 and beyond isn't/wasn't looking good for Vita.

I guess Final Fantasy X/X-2 surpassed expectations.

Maybe FFX-3 is real.

If not, than it will be soon.

That's the only logical next step, and not FFXII HD.

It's more that it's the one they went out of their way to craft a pretty deliberate tease for.

I doubt it's a "one or the other" thing though. FFXII will come. Seems folks really have a chip on their shoulder about that now.

Reveirg

Stark

Banned

A PS4 title would have increased chances for localization, which that or PS4/Vita is what I would have preferred. But I don't think it's ruled out entirely. Like you said, they could market it like traditional title or 'From the creators of FF comes a new RPG!' that sometimes works, or maybe Sony will do another gesture of good will like RGG5.

Good to hear they'll start to support Vita more.

Cornbread78

They've said a few times that a new Mana series was in development too. They've even acknowledged that fans wanted it to be a on a "big screen", and although they didn't exactly hint that they were going in that direction, it kinda sounded like it.

Full quote here: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/3...wants-release-next-major-mana-game-two-years/

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Even though I'm one of those bitter SE fans, I love that they are finally thinking of the Vita..

Stark

Banned
They've said a few times that a new Mana series was in development too. They've even acknowledged that fans wanted it to be a on a "big screen", and although they didn't exactly hint that they were going in that direction, it kinda sounded like it.

Full quote here: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/3...wants-release-next-major-mana-game-two-years/

Lol I was going to correct your link. Yeah, it sounds like Seiken Densetsu 5 will be on home consoles. Mana's 25th anniversary is coming up, isn't it? or did it already happen?

It's more that it's the one they went out of their way to craft a pretty deliberate tease for.

I doubt it's a "one or the other" thing though. FFXII will come. Seems folks really have a chip on their shoulder about that now.

Wait, they teased FFX-3? When was this?

Nimby

Banned
I mean, yes, it's a marketing trick. That's why they did it before and why I think they should do it again. It'd get the game in more hands and while there's a chance some wouldn't like it (regardless of SGs history, we don't know what SG2015 is yet) we must also entertain the idea some people might actually love it because of how outward and different it might be.

We are also talking about a franchise that hasn't had a real sequel since 2003, unless you count The Last Remnant. It probably is best to change the name really, and treat the game as a new IP of sorts. Not many people on this forum no what SaGa is even. I guess it could end up being a universally great game, I doubt it, but we will just have to wait and see.

Oregano

Dragon Quest is not belong for any console. It will be on the console which they are most popular in that generation.

That's why PS4/PS3 got Dragon Quest Heroes.

That is a bit of a non sequitur. We were talking about localisation chances.

Also lol@PS4 being the most popular. It will be a long time until that is true in Japan, if it even gets to that point.

Squire

Banned
We are also talking about a franchise that hasn't had a real sequel since 2003, unless you count The Last Remnant. It probably is best to change the name really, and treat the game as a new IP of sorts. Not many people on this forum no what SaGa is even. I guess it could end up being a universally great game, I doubt it, but we will just have to wait and see.

We will. I kinda feel like giving it a new name, effectively making it a new IP, would be a death sentence on Vita. But we have no idea what the budget is like, the scale of the game, their expectations for it's performance.

We'll have to wait.

Wait, they teased FFX-3? When was this?

I was actually referring to the audio drama included in X/X-2 HD, but yes, there's also this. It's all very deliberate. They've said there's no plans for X-3, but I just plain don't believe them.

Oh wow. That's awesome!

Oh, I assure you there's almost nothing awesome about it. Tragic? Now we're on to something.

shink

Isn't the 3DS already being supported?

Yeah, it's just odd that SE have just started to support the system when software sales having been all that great, as well as hardware sales. Whilst 3DS (although down YOY when I last checked) still is doing better than pretty much all other consoles on the market.

Thoraxes

Between this and Legend of Legacy, I can finally get my SaGa fixes back in my bloodstream.

And both flavors no less! I get two godlike OSTs from both Hamauzu and Ito. This is literally the best fucking thing ever.

All this shade being tossed at Unlimited SaGa makes me sad. Kawazu made some critical mistakes, mostly the way the HP/LP system worked, but overall it had one of the most brilliant, hardcore, strategic risk/reward gameplay systems that I've ever experienced.

It had a brutal learning curve and zero handholding to the point that it was impossible to start playing without looking for help online but overall I'd love to see a new game built on that foundation with the glaring (and unfair) gameplay issues fixed.

Reveirg

Lol I was going to correct your link. Yeah, it sounds like Seiken Densetsu 5 will be on home consoles. Mana's 25th anniversary is coming up, isn't it? or did it already happen?

That would be in 2016. They're aiming to make the new title come out during the celebrations it seems.

I hope we get Rise of the Mana in english one day. Import impressions have been really positive despite its F2P nature.

Nimby

Banned
All this shade being tossed at Unlimited SaGa makes me sad. Kawazu made some critical mistakes, mostly the way the HP/LP system worked, but overall it had one of the most brilliant, hardcore, strategic risk/reward gameplay systems that I've ever experienced.

I actually liked the way the battle system worked, I found it to be enjoyable for all of the sprite issues and what not. What really confused me about Unlimited was the panel system. It was meant to provide "deeper" customization of characters, but I could never figure it out. It wasn't fun and online faqs didn't help. Magic was also extremely counter-intuitive given the fact that magic tablets were some of the rarest shit in the game and you had to buy magically imbued items to be able to use those spells on the tablet. The concept of a pen & paper RPG is truly welcome though, although I'd rather a traditional SaGa adventure at this point.

Top Bottom