• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2015 (working title) announced for PS Vita

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
All this shade being tossed at Unlimited SaGa makes me sad. Kawazu made some critical mistakes, mostly the way the HP/LP system worked, but overall it had one of the most brilliant, hardcore, strategic risk/reward gameplay systems that I've ever experienced.

It had a brutal learning curve and zero handholding to the point that it was impossible to start playing without looking for help online but overall I'd love to see a new game built on that foundation with the glaring (and unfair) gameplay issues fixed.

I talked about this in the other Saga thread but I would like to see them attempt another Unlimited Saga again. Just make the rules and interface clearer. Include good tutorials. I think that type of game could do very well on the Vita and even cater to a PC audience that likes pen and paper experiences.

Reveirg

All this shade being tossed at Unlimited SaGa makes me sad. Kawazu made some critical mistakes, mostly the way the HP/LP system worked, but overall it had one of the most brilliant, hardcore, strategic risk/reward gameplay systems that I've ever experienced.

It had a brutal learning curve and zero handholding to the point that it was impossible to start playing without looking for help online but overall I'd love to see a new game built on that foundation with the glaring (and unfair) gameplay issues fixed.

I've always thought it was a very underrated game. It has some big flaws, but it does so much stuff right. Amazing soundtrack, absolutely beautiful art. The gameplay is deep and calls back to a lot of old-school pen-and-paper RPGs. I feel like it would've had more success had it come out today. Crimson Shroud, Etrian Odyssey and Demon/Dark Souls all had a lot of success despite their share of high difficulty, obscure mechanics and general old-schoolness (all 3 to different degrees of course).

I'm not saying Unlimited Saga was as good as those, but it would probably gather a lot more fans today.

I actually liked the way the battle system worked, I found it to be enjoyable for all of the sprite issues and what not. What really confused me about Unlimited was the panel system. It was meant to provide "deeper" customization of characters, but I could never figure it out. It wasn't fun and online faqs didn't help. Magic was also extremely counter-intuitive given the fact that magic tablets were some of the rarest shit in the game and you had to buy magically imbued items to be able to use those spells on the tablet. The concept of a pen & paper RPG is truly welcome though, although I'd rather a traditional SaGa adventure at this point.

At launch it was almost impossible to play but over time the online community came up with some really good faqs to explain how all of the systems worked. I sank around 200 hours of time into the game (not including the countless hours lost to having my party wiped out and losing everything, thanks Kawazu) and I still only managed to finish 3 out of the 7 scenarios.

The different character scenarios did a really good job of giving you different gameplay experiences too considering how limited the presentation of the game. It totally deserves the critical reception that it received, reviewing it had to be a nightmare, but in terms of being a "game" I can think of few better examples. It really forced you to discover gameplay in a way that no other game I've tried has been brave enough to attempt and for good reason considering that it almost killed the entire series.

I'll always remember Unlimited Saga as the game that was trademarked at the same time as Chrono Break. Unlimited Saga came out. Chrono Break never did :(

I talked about this in the other Saga thread but I would like to see them attempt another Unlimited Saga again. Just make the rules and interface clearer. Include good tutorials. I think that type of game could do very well on the Vita and even cater to a PC audience that likes pen and paper experiences.
I think forcing everyone to start the game under Laura's scenario and building tutorials there would have been the best idea. Giving you a choice of any character to start and then making each scenario focus on different aspects of the story/gameplay made working in tutorials really difficult.
I've always thought it was a very underrated game. It has some big flaws, but it does so much stuff right. Amazing soundtrack, absolutely beautiful art. The gameplay is deep and calls back to a lot of old-school pen-and-paper RPGs. I feel like it would've had more success had it come out today. Crimson Shroud, Etrian Odyssey and Demon/Dark Souls all had a lot of success despite their share of high difficulty, obscure mechanics and general old-schoolness (all 3 to different degrees of course).

I'm not saying Unlimited Saga was as good as those, but it would probably gather a lot more fans today.
A Souls styled game where players could communicate and share info while playing would have changed everything possibly. I really hope that SaGA 2015 keeps the brutal difficult but makes it easier to collaborate with other players and figure out the game together.

As expected this thread seems to be more about the hardware than the game; I'm kind of curious how many posters here actually enjoy SaGa games.

I had to quit my SaGa Frontier replay, I got stuck and I think there's really nothing for me to do. As much as I like that game, there are some really boneheaded design decisions in it, even for SaGa standards.

For those familiar:

I started an Emelia game and was immediately taken into Tanzer on my second or third transportation. My WP is mostly used up (can't replenish it in here at all), I have no area attacks and the party I have can only take down one Giant Slime every two or three turns, so it's impossible for me to touch the rune. Oh and you can't leave this place until you do.

:-\

Anyway, more SaGa is good SaGa for me. I might import it as it comes out since I know it's not coming out here.

This thread took me from being hyped about a SaGa game (I need to play them again, it's been too long) to being hyped for a new Mana game.

I really hope they make more Vita games in the future (*cough*Dissidia*cough*)

Aeana

As expected this thread seems to be more about the hardware than the game; I'm kind of curious how many posters here actually enjoy SaGa games.

I had to quit my SaGa Frontier replay, I got stuck and I think there's really nothing for me to do. As much as I like that game, there are some really boneheaded design decisions in it, even for SaGa standards.

For those familiar:

I started an Emelia game and was immediately taken into Tanzer on my second or third transportation. My WP is mostly used up (can't replenish it in here at all), I have no area attacks and the party I have can only take down one Giant Slime every two or three turns, so it's impossible for me to touch the rune. Oh and you can't leave this place until you do.

:-\

Anyway, more SaGa is good SaGa for me. I might import it as it comes out since I know it's not coming out here.

SF is just generally unfinished and not well-thought-out in many cases. I'd really like it if they got an opportunity to remake the game and finish off the stuff that didn't get done.

Reveirg

My experience is mostly limited to half a playthrough of SaGa Frontier 2 and a full playthrough Unlimited Saga.

I loved both. I need to go back to SF2 and complete my playthrough, but I'll have to start all over again ;_;

Is Romancing Saga PS2 a good follow-up to those?

Nimby

Banned
My experience is mostly limited to half a playthrough of SaGa Frontier 2 and a full playthrough Unlimited Saga.

I loved both. I need to go back to SF2 and complete my playthrough, but I'll have to start all over again ;_;

Romancing SaGa is one of favorite PS2 games. It's a traditional SaGa experience, with a few quirks and what not.

Man, fingers crossed for a English localization.
It is a good game if SaGa games are your thing, the combat system and core concepts are similar to what you would find in SaGa Frontier but in a more polished state.

The game is driven by your event ranking, with quests becoming available/unavailable as your ER increases.

Anybody played the gane boy games? Renamed in the west as final fantasy legends 1 and 2

I played 2 and never finished it because I couldn't beat Odin.

I also played SaGa Frontier 2 and never finished it because I couldn't beat
the Egg (first form)

Never played a SaGa game. Can't say I'm excited by any Square announcements anymore though. The good news for Square is that it is extremely unlikely that there will be any competition on the system so if it ends up looking okay I'll probably pick it up as long as it's exclusive.

nampad

Those things have nothing to do with each other.

Though I am curious why SE won't port the remasters to Vita (Type0 and KH 1.5 and 2.5) but now we get a Star Ocean 2 remake and a new SaGa game.
Can't imagine the remasters for Vita would be risky and having them would have made the Vita a more viable platform before the announcement of this two games now. Same could be said about not up-porting 3DS games.

They literally let the Vita left to rot. Their launch games were weak and then there only was FFX/X2 on the horizon. PS4 failing in Japan made them looking for another platform besides 3DS and mobile?

This is not the end.

Remember last year when they had to cancel some titles after the Tomb Raider/Hitman bomba (lol)? There was Bloodmasque (the console version) and also a PS3/Vita game using Unity Engine.

Maybe SE is finally able to work on them again (although Bloodmasque is most likely dead at this point, especially after the mobile game).

Vamphuntr

SF is just generally unfinished and not well-thought-out in many cases. I'd really like it if they got an opportunity to remake the game and finish off the stuff that didn't get done.

It's really incomplete and is overall a mess of a game but it' strangely addictive. The game's main problem is that overall all characters follow the same path outside of 2-3 characters. And unlike RS3 that came before, towns are pretty boring where RS3 had nice vignettes in them.

I enjoyed all of the Saga games outside of Unlimited Saga and Saga Frontier 2 so I'm excited for this. Considering we didn't get the DS remakes I guess I will have to import this.

Dragon Quest has been on Nintendo platforms. That is one major difference.

Square Enix isnt going to localize jack shit XD

Just looked up sales of past SaGa games over here...

#buildingthelist people, that's all I'll say. Start now.

Also, I hope this means SE will start making Vita games, they were probably the dev that pushed the PSP the most, I imagine what they could do with the Vita.

Squeenix has released more of their games on the Vita than the 3DS to be honest. Lol

The Last Remnant wasn't that long ago~!

That isnt a Saga game and you know it lol!!

Structure wise its sooo not.

Jawmuncher

My face when I saw announced for vita.
dexter's_dad.jpg

Localize it SE and I will buy it.

Squire

Banned
Though I am curious why SE won't port the remasters to Vita (Type0 and KH 1.5 and 2.5) but now we get a Star Ocean 2 remake and a new SaGa game.
Can't imagine the remasters for Vita would be risky and having them would have made the Vita a more viable platform before the announcement of this two games now. Same could be said about not up-porting 3DS games.

They literally let the Vita left to rot. Their launch games were weak and then there only was FFX/X2 on the horizon. PS4 failing in Japan made them looking for another platform besides 3DS and mobile?

They're going all in on PS4 in particular though. FFXV and KH3, Type-0 HD, FFX/X-2 HD, FFVII, and probably FFVIII too, before those.

If anyone would port Type-0 to Vita it would be the team doing HD. I suspect the answer to why they're not is the same as ever: It's not worth it.

Either way, it has nothing to do with SO2 or SG. Different teams, different brands, different budgets, etc.

So, this is the "console" RPG?

Probably. Hopefully they discuss this in an upcoming issue of Famitsu or at Jump Festa so we can get an idea of how seriously SE is taking this.

Squire

Banned
We'll be getting more info in next weeks Famitsu, apparently. Wonder if it'll be at JF, too.

EDIT:

Thanks. Interesting.

I wonder if that means a big article on the game alone or another series retrospective with an interview at the end about the new game that doesn't actually say much of anything.

catbrush

I am so pumped! SaGa was one of the most interesting RPG franchises from Square, throughout history, and today, IMVHO.

I considered The Last Remnant to be the 360 era's SaGa game and I am very interested to see what will come next.

Vita is the perfect platform for this game.

duckroll

Thanks. Interesting.

I wonder if that means a big article on the game alone or another series retrospective with an interview at the end about the new game that doesn't actually say much of anything.

It's a 52 page booklet packed in with Famitsu which will include a series retrospective (probably most of it) and an interview about the new projects. It's worth noting that they also announced Imperial SaGa for browsers, and that also has gameplay, so they might talk about that instead, with some throwaway stuff for the Vita game. I hope not! Lol.

Squire

Banned
It's a 52 page booklet packed in with Famitsu which will include a series retrospective (probably most of it) and an interview about the new projects. It's worth noting that they also announced Imperial SaGa for browsers, and that also has gameplay, so they might talk about that instead, with some throwaway stuff for the Vita game. I hope not! Lol.

Haha, me too. Sounds about what I expected though.

SaGa still improving in the characters designs.

I really hope they show at least a bit of gameplay in Jump Festa.

Hopefully. I'm kind of surprised it's meant to come out next year. That's like next week in Square Enix time.

Top Bottom