• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Also, for anyone upset by this, at least it's a like-for-like type of situation, and not a "Buy 'EA Sports My First Playground Sports Game' if you want a chance at getting 'EA Sports Real Sports Game'" situation or something.

Opa-Pa

Thread title makes it sound worse than what is actually said but:

I do want me some 2D Metroid. I just don't really care to play stuff on my 3DS (i'm a sucker for trophies) that much anymore and I especially don't want to support basic features like hard mode being stuck behind an expensive figurine.

You're not interested in playing Metroid period then since no Nintendo system supports trophies natively?

Also hard mode is in the base game. It's an extra hard mode that's locked behind amiibo... Still a terrible move by Nintendo, but yeah.

Thread title makes it sound worse than what is actually said but:

I do want me some 2D Metroid. I just don't really care to play stuff on my 3DS (i'm a sucker for trophies) that much anymore and I especially don't want to support basic features like hard mode being stuck behind an expensive figurine.
Buying the game without buying the amiibo isn't exactly supporting the amiibo implementation though.

Gardios

It's not like he's saying anything particularly controversial and I was going to buy the game anyways soooo

Before Samus returns:
"Why doesn't Nintendo do anything substantial with Amiibo?"

After Samus Returns:
"Oh my god, why is Nintendo doing something substantial with Amiibo?!"

Yeah, I'm buying the game and no Amiibo, unless I can find one on discount. Some ultra hard mode is pretty irrelevant to my enjoyment of the game and I would like future 2D installments.

Plum

Well he's not wrong. This ain't some bullshit test like "buy this completely unrelated game to get the game you actually want." It being a very loose remake, your personal preference of frame-rate, your 3DS allergy* or your opinion about the amiibo policy doesn't make Samus Returns not a 2D Metroid game.

The truth of the matter is that if something doesn't sell that well there won't be much justification for further development; the anger towards Sakamoto's quote seems to be stemming from a weird need to not own up to that fact. It's gone from, in the Amiibo thread, "no Nintendo will know Metroid failed because of Amiibo!" to, in the thread where that's proven wrong, "I never even cared about Metroid anyway it deserves to die ~baka~"

*Seriously, get that checked out. My cousin died from an allergic reaction to the 3DS' 240p screen, if left untested it might happen to you as well.

Macka

Some of the posts in this thread are fucking ridiculous. 'Hostage to sales'. Are you serious? And ffs, everyone who owns a Switch wants the game on Switch. But the game has been in development for years. It's not going to happen. No point punishing this game for that.

Already pre-ordered.

AFAIK there's another Metroid game for Switch in the works besides Prime 4.

So...
What?

Astral Dog

I'm surprised people don't like being told the truth from Sakamoto himself.

Everyone knows it's true what he's saying. Why the negative reaction to it?
Insecure fanboys hurt by Sakamoto despite he behind the best 2D Metroid games, an Amiibos

As long as it's not a Sakamoto Metroid game, sure!
Like this, not that i blame them too much, but thankfully Nintendo gave him another (small) chance

Before Samus returns:
"Why doesn't Nintendo do anything substantial with Amiibo?"

After Samus Returns:
"Oh my god, why is Nintendo doing something substantial with Amiibo?!"

Yeah, I'm buying the game and no Amiibo, unless I can find one on discount. Some ultra hard mode is pretty irrelevant to my enjoyment of the game and I would like future 2D installments.

These are probably different sets of gamers. I know for sure I don't ever want Nintendo doing anything substantial with Amiibo.

Well he's not wrong. This ain't some bullshit test like "buy this completely unrelated game to get the game you actually want." It being a very loose remake, your personal preference of frame-rate, your 3DS allergy* or your opinion about the amiibo policy doesn't make Samus Returns not a 2D Metroid game.

The truth of the matter is that if something doesn't sell that well there won't be much justification for further development; the anger towards Sakamoto's quote seems to be stemming from a weird need to not own up to that fact. It's gone from, in the Amiibo thread, "no Nintendo will know Metroid failed because of Amiibo!" to, in the thread where that's proven wrong, "I never even cared about Metroid anyway it deserves to die ~baka~"

*Seriously, get that checked out. My cousin died from an allergic reaction to the 3DS' 240p screen, if left untested it might happen to you as well.
Yeah I'm not sympathetic to the 3DS whiners. I have a high end PC and like to crank up the ganes, but for Metroid? I want it, I'll play it. If the game sucks or runs really badly, like 20 fps then I get the complaints, but it's a perfectly fine system.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It doesn't come across that way an its hard not ta read this as the same old, same worded threat countless other devs have spewed over the years -_-

Whether this sells well enough or not they'll pull out a Fusion remake eventually and / or a long awaited 2D Metroid 5. Sure the wait time between this game and the next could be cut drastically shorter if it does sell well but I'd bank on more coming no matter what.
What? How does that not come across that way? Are blind, or calling us stupid?

Eolz

What do I buy to get more Other M?

Wait, why are people upset by this?
This is not like a Capcom test situation (Wii/Switch/Darkstalkers flashbacks), this is just the reality of how franchises work.

It looks to be a great remake, which is something that was probably approved after seeing good sales of 2D Metroid games on Virtual Console. It makes sense.

Doubt that the next 2D Metroid would be after Fusion though lol.

HeeHo

You're not interested in playing Metroid period then since no Nintendo system supports trophies natively?

Also hard mode is in the base game. It's an extra hard mode that's locked behind amiibo... Still a terrible move by Nintendo, but yeah.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was an extra hard mode. I do kind of care less about that now.

I'm hoping they unveil something similar or better than trophies at some point, to be honest. I even bought a Switch knowing my disdain for lack of trophies. I will make exceptions for really good games like BotW though.

Buying the game without buying the amiibo isn't exactly supporting the amiibo implementation though.

I guess you're right. It still feels like it would be supporting it indirectly though. I actually don't care too much anymore knowing it's an extra hard mode I probably wouldn't play anyway. I thought non amiibo owners only had 1 difficulty mode.

MDave

Would get it to support it and because I love the Metroid series, but I don't like it being 30fps and on the 3DS (cramps my hands). 3 games out of the 13 in the series are 30fps so not a bad track record, but 60fps makes a big difference in one of the most important mechanics of what makes Metroid great; how Samus feels to control, with tight platforming and reduced input lag. I assume the game is 30fps from all the footage Nintendo have released anyway.

Greenzxy

I'm excited for the game, but I'm not a fan of the feminine characterization of Samus they keep doing for the series.

Banned
Fuck you Sakamoto, I'm not buying another 3DS just to play this. I traded in my 3DS expecting full switch support. I'll wait and see if there's a port to NS in the future.

RagnarokX

Yeah no thanks... you either had to make a 3ds one which was fully 2D or a 2.5D for the Switch this is the worst of both worlds and it's also made by developers that showed that can't handle the genre at all.

It can remain on the shelves for me.

Mercury Steam made their Castlevania game under the direction of Konami, who was rebooting Castlevania into actiony Lords of Shadow garbage.

Samus Returns is under the direction of Nintendo and is lovingly recreating and improving a game in classic Metroid Style. The game looks great so far and the visuals are wonderful, especially with 3D on.

Ridley327

I'm excited for the game, but I'm not a fan of the feminine characterization of Samus they keep doing for the series.

It doesn't seem like they're really playing that up at all with what they've shown for the storytelling. This is really going back to how they handled the story in Zero Mission, which was rather minimalist compared to Fusion and especially Other M.

Merc_

The quote is so short tho, like i read the whole quote because it could be done in like 2 seconds that's how short it is

Many fans are still really mad at Sakamoto to the point where they always make sure to read whatever he says in the worst light possible.

It's pretty embarrassing at this point.

Plum

Fuck you Sakamoto, I'm not buying another 3DS just to play this. I traded in my 3DS expecting full switch support. I'll wait and see if there's a port to NS in the future.

That isn't anyone's fault but yours. Expecting Nintendo to drop any and all 3DS support as soon as the Switch released is laughable. Expecting that when Nintendo had already announced 3DS games for 2017 is just sad.

LOL. That amiibo isn't gonna be infamous because of the content locked behind it, but because of fans trying to kill the franchise over a difficulty mode that never appeared in a Metroid game before it (yet some still see it as content that was taken out of the main game). I doubt anyone who was actually excited for Metroid Samus Returns wouldn't buy it for something silly like that, though. Those people probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place, with or without the amiibo, frankly.

Greenzxy

It doesn't seem like they're really playing that up at all with what they've shown for the storytelling. This is really going back to how they handled the story in Zero Mission, which was rather minimalist compared to Fusion and especially Other M.
Yea that's what I'm happy to see.
I'm mostly talking about stuff like the heels added to samus's boots, and some other minor details.

Mark1

So it's essentially confirmed? The game is going to do pretty well from the looks of it.

I'm buying it as my 3DS swan song game

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So it's basically "Hey guys, if you want more Metroid, buy a remake of Metroid II on our old hardware. Want more features? Better get that Amiibo!" Come on.

Want me to buy Samus Returns? Release it on the Switch.

Yup. I just got done selling off all my 3DS stuff this past weekend. I still have a J-New 3DS, but I'm pretty much done buying stuff for that platform.

Fuck you Sakamoto, I'm not buying another 3DS just to play this. I traded in my 3DS expecting full switch support. .

A foolish thing to do considering they stated repeatedly 3DS development would continue. It's actually amazing how many people thought that was just lip service and are now shocked and angry because they were speaking honestly.

Demoli

Well duh.. This isn't a spin off or anything, of course if this doesnt sell then 2d metroid is gonna be dead for a while. It's not like the Chibi Robo and USF2 trials, which were just bullshit.

Top Bottom