• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Bowl0l

How about an even trade?
I buy the game and Amiibo while Sakamoto broadcast live in Japan smashing every Amiibo that is released to the market live in YouTube.
It should be easy for them.

Ridley327

It seems a bit strange to question the logic of them wanting this to sell well to secure another 2D Metroid, especially as this is the first one in 13 years for precisely the same reason: Zero Mission rather shockingly bombed, almost to spite its sterling reputation in the fan base.

Petrae

Beyond just hating these industry ultimatums... it's a remake. On the 3DS. When the switch is out for about six months. That is locking difficulty modes behind amiibos. Get fucked with this shit, Nintendo.

Gonna need to see reviews before I pay money for another Mercury Steam game.

These pretty much sum up why I'm avoiding this game. The amiibo-locked content is super-shitty, and I can't trust Mercury Steam on any project after the Lords of Shadow games left such an awful taste in my mouth.

If publishers don't feel like greenlighting games is certain series because they allegedly don't sell well enough, that's on them. I don't buy games just because it might get more games in a series made.

13ruce

Banned
That's editing Nintendo's power to decide what to make and how much they will settle for out of the picture.

Well there is Kirby the King of consistent sells just like Metroid. Only other m and federation force flopped and maybe zero missio but thst one was damn close to a million. Other m is at a million i think but it took bargain bin prices to get there.

So why not keep Metroid around. Cuz it won't hurt at all and is better for their platforms for variety and a much needed hardcore game franchise outside of just Zelda and 3D Mario or Donky Kong.

Why would metroid need to go for the bigger fish but kirby not? It's not like Prime/3D or 2D metroid games are expensive to make these days gamecost wise unless they have a triple a budget wich i highly doubt would be the case even prime 4 won't be aaa.

Shang

But why would you release it on the 3DS then? I get that the install base is bigger but I feel like a lot of the core has moved on, I know I certainly have.

Well there is Kirby the King of consistent sells just like Metroid.

So why not keep Metroid around. Cuz it won't hurt at all and is better for their platforms for variety and a much needed hardcore game franchise outside of just Zelda and 3D Mario or Donky Kong.

Why would metroid need to go for the bigger fish but kirby not? It's not like Prime/3D or 2D metroid games are expensive to make these days gamecost wise unless they have a triple a budget wich i highly doubt would be the case even prime 4 won't be aaa.

Kirby, like Fire Emblem, is fortunate in that it has an entire game company to back it up, that being HAL Labs.

Sales of a series are obviously a factor in said series continuing, but it also needs a developer to back it up. It's why Pikmin keeps getting games, because its Miyamoto's pet. It's why Kid Icarus and Punch-Out!! have kinda fallen back into limbo after their big revivals, because their developers (Sakurai and Next Level Games) haven't expressed interest in continuing them and have been working on other things like Smash and Luigi's Mansion.

Ever since R&D1 was disbanded forever ago and ever since Retro Studios moved on to Donkey Kong Country, Metroid hasn't been able to have a consistent team behind its back. It's quite telling that Sakamoto has to keep bringing in outside studios like Team Ninja or MercurySteam because none of Nintendo's internal teams have the time for it.

yuoke

Banned
But why would you release it on the 3DS then? I get that the install base is bigger but I feel like a lot of the core has moved on, I know I certainly have.

They probably started making this game close to 2 years ago when the nx was just a codename. They can't just make a fully different switch port when a lot of the game is built into the 3ds. That would cost tons and at the moment it's not worth it.

I love everyone here with fiery eyes like this is an ultimatum. It's sakamoto being candid in an interview saying the truth. People talk hot shit about zero mission, yet it flopped.

This isn't another "capcom thing". Why would Nintendo want to keep making games that flop in a series? It's that simple.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Kirby games reliably sell way better than Metroid games is the thing. The two series aren't on the same level even remotely.

Prolly cause thats the system they'd been developing it on for a year or more. The cost it'd take to HD-ify it would require even bigger sales expectations. Plus kicking off a series on a new console with a remake is hardly an exciting way to go (see: Pokémon). Even GBA Metroid started with a fresh new entry, with a remake coming along later.

Akai__

I'll do my part, but I'm kinda scared that it doesn't do well enough for Nintendo (because of ridiculous expectations, it being a remake and because we already got a fan remake, etc.) and I really want my 2D Metroid 5.

Hopefully, it's just me being pessimistic.

Feffe

Well there is Kirby the King of consistent sells just like Metroid. Only other m and federation force flopped and maybe zero missio but thst one was damn close to a million. Other m is at a million i think but it took bargain bin prices to get there.

LOL. So many things wrong there. Kirby sells a lot better than than Metroid, it's cheaper to develope and as a franchise offers another big revenue stream with its merchandise.

Also Metroid Prime is everything but cheap to produce.

Servbot24

Banned
Screw that, I'm not buying products for the sole purpose of having more products marketed to me which I will also have to buy for the purpose of having more products marketed to me, etc.

I'll buy a good game, but I'm not going to buy it because simply because it's being kept hostage.

yuoke

Banned
Screw that, I'm not buying products for the sole purpose of having more products marketed to me which I will also have to buy for the purpose of having more products marketed to me, etc.

I'll buy a good game, but I'm not going to buy it because simply because it's being kept hostage.

I mean it works this way for literally every game, console, and business period.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They haven't. The Switch has only sold 5 million units.
This + the fact that 5 of Julys top 10 selling 3DS games (NPD) were released this year, with 3 others being very late 2016 releases. New 3DS games are in fact still being purchased by peeps.

rekameohs

Banned

Lol calm down, what in the world implies "hostage" in that quote?

Opa-Pa

It really is quite obvious that on top of the game starting development when the Switch wasn't finalized, 2D Metroids not being big sellers and Nintendo being uncertain of its possible performance decided to make the game for the system where it would cost less to develop for. I imagine making a 2.5D game for a 240p machine is significantly cheaper than an HD title... And about that, people seriously underestimate the effort it'd take to make a flippin 3DS game look good in HD. I wouldn't be surprised if people passed on it on Switch too because "it looks like an early Gamecube game" lol.

Also I don't see how it being a remake in this particular case is a negative. Do people really think that every Metroid fan, let alone casual ones have played the original Metroid 2?

MoonFrog

Personally I've got no problem playing it on 3DS. I'm still playing other games there too. But I still play on legacy platforms generally speaking.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Despite the conundrum with the amiibo situation--which I'll say right now, that the complaints concerning it are justified in my book--or the platform of choice declared by some people here as their personal grounds for not buying the game, I'm sure most Metroid fans won't be taking this statement lightly. This is the same company who's last Metroid outings were tone-deaf misfires and sales flops like Federation Force and Other M and how Metroid only being a historically modest sales success in the West. Sakamoto's comments aren't really something to scoff at in light of this.

Though whether the Metroid fanbase will allow the game to sink or swim in sales is whether Nintendo/Sakamoto/MercurySoft actually did their homework and showed they actually know what people want. If they screwed up and made yet another mediocre / polarizing Metroid game...that's on them if the game flops.

When the last 2D Metroid came out 13 years ago and was also a remake, it's hard not to be worried about the future of the mainline series. Even if Samus Returns meets their expectations in sales, are we actually going to get a new game, or just another remake? Will there be another long gap or will it actually release in a standard 2-3 year timeframe?

Asking a fanbase to buy a game to get future entries is never a good sign for the health of that series.

Totally fair questions to ask; but when the only alternative to a shaky future of 2D Metroid titles is no future for 2D Metroid titles whatsoever, you don't really have a lot of options at your disposal on how to tell Nintendo whether or not you want more 2D Metroid games.

yuoke

Banned
Despite the conundrum with the amiibo situation--which I'll say right now, that the complaints concerning it are justified in my book--or the platform of choice declared by some people here as their personal grounds for not buying the game, I'm sure most Metroid fans won't be taking this statement lightly. This is the same company who's last Metroid outings were tone-deaf misfires and sales flops like Federation Force and Other M and how Metroid only being a historically modest sales success in the West. Sakamoto's comments aren't really something to scoff at in light of this.

Though whether the Metroid fanbase will allow the game to sink or swim in sales is whether Nintendo/Sakamoto/MercurySoft actually did their homework and showed they actually know what people want. If they screwed up and made yet another mediocre / polarizing Metroid game...that's on them if the game flops.

Totally fair questions to ask; but when the only alternative to a shaky future of 2D Metroid titles is no future for 2D Metroid titles whatsoever, you don't really have a lot of options at your disposal to tell Nintendo whether or not you want more 2D Metroid games.

What if the game is great and still flops? Zero mission is overall considered great and was on the gba with an even bigger user base, yet flopped. There was even a thread asking why it flopped and everyone was like

giphy.gif

I could see a situation where the game is great, critically praised, but flops. Then people are left baffled and bewildered wondering what happened to the series and it goes on hiatus for another 13 years...at least 2d.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean it works this way for literally every game, console, and business period.

Yeah, but you don't use that as a selling point. You use the quality of the game as a selling point. Otherwise it becomes the fans' fault for not being monetary servants rather than the company's fault for not making a good product that stands on its own feet.

Lol calm down, what in the world implies "hostage" in that quote?

Buy this game if you want 2D Metroid to continue. Pretty simple.

yuoke

Banned
Yeah, but you don't use that as a selling point. You use the quality of the game as a selling point. Otherwise it becomes the fans' fault for not being monetary servants rather than the company's fault for not making a good product that stands on its own feet.

This isn't being used as a selling point. It was a candid answer to a question gameinformer asked in an interview. It's not like there are official ads or twitter posts of "Buy samus returns to make more metroid!" People are seriously overreacting.

Wow this thread is pretty much everything you would expect out of Nintendo (Metroid) fanboys. Clueless about how the world works/defeatist af

This isn't Capcom being idiots like they were during the entirety of last gen. If anything Nintendo are the opposite, when something works they just milk the hell out of it(ex Fire Emblem since Awakening). The amiibo is irrelevant, just don't buy it. If the game sells well but the amiibo doesn't they will probably take a hint. Also game looks great even though it's made by Mercury Steam, after all Prime 1 was made by those random texans that were busy on horrible looking projects but they end up making a masterpiece with the help of Nintendo.

This game isn't something completely out of touch with what most of the fanbase wants from Nintendo. If people keep giving bad word of mouth to it before even releasing don't be suprised that Metroid goes to sleep again

Your reading the thread title and not the actual quote where he simply answers he would love to make more 2D Metriod games if SR is successful. It's basically a Fire Emblem situation

Servbot24

Banned
This isn't being used as a selling point. It was a candid answer to a question gameinformer asked in an interview. It's not like there are official ads or twitter posts of "Buy samus returns to make more metroid!" People are seriously overreacting.

Granted it's more of a fan-invoked selling point than a Nintendo one, but the implication that as a fan I have a monetary obligation to a piece of plastic or a data file or a company doesn't sit well at all.

Maybe I'm still just sore after MML3

yuoke

Banned
Granted it's more of a fan-invoked selling point than a Nintendo one, but the implication that as a fan I have a monetary obligation to a piece of plastic or a data file or a company doesn't sit well at all.

Maybe I'm still just sore after MML3

You don't have an obligation. The game either sells enough or not enough for Nintendo to consider it worth to make another 2d metroid. Sakamoto is blankly stating that...at least he is telling the truth and not BSing. If the game flops and there is no 2d metroid for another 10+ years, just don't be shocked and say nintendo treats metroid like garbage.

Neiteio

Samus Returns looks ridiculously promising, like Sonic Mania levels of greatness. Like we're on the cusp of a glorious new golden age of inspired 2D Metroid titles (Sakamoto has said he'd like to keep making these with Mercurysteam). So I really hope this sells well. :)

MoonFrog

Samus Returns looks ridiculously promising, like Sonic Mania levels of greatness. Like we're on the cusp of a glorious new golden age of inspired 2D Metroid titles (Sakamoto has said he'd like to keep making these with Mercurysteam). So I really hope this sells well. :)
I'd love that. Really hoping the game pans out and we do get a Metroid 5.

I feel pretty good about it from what we saw.

yuoke

Banned
If Sakamoto wants people to buy it so badly, he should have made for Switch instead, there's higher demand for games there than 3DS. Oh, man...

I mean there are 5 million switches sold at most right now, while there are close to 70 million 3ds's out there.

Plus how would even know about switch game demand 1-2 years ago?

Servbot24

Banned

Same here. I wonder what his expectations are for it. I'd probably guess around 1 million based on past entries, but who knows, maybe it could exceed that.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wanna call out anyone in particular as being shitty?

Otherwise you're just doing a shitty drive-by post of your own.
You post for example I would say is ignorant and therefore shitty and reads like someone who just read the title and didn't bother to read the damn quote that isn't even a long quote

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

you mean people reacting to Sakamoto's statement and twisting them? okay. just on page 1, 100ppp

Ah, taking even more pages from Ubisoft I see.
This is the traditional Kiss of Death for any Japanese game company, Nintendo in particular. Lest we forget Chibi Robo. If a spinoff/remake is the determining factor for if a series is to continue or not, it's already Dead.

Don't be surprised when they say the same for Metroid Prime 4
I'll buy it used and sell it back when I'm done, thanks though. If the "2D Metroid" they're offering is a generation late and with shitty physical DLC toys locking behind significant content, I don't want it.

To me it reads more like: "Here's a 2D Metroid with shitty amiibo hooks designed to make as much cash as possible, oh and we're not releasing it on the Switch because although it's a great system the install base pales in comparison to the 3DS and we need to make as much money as possible"

Like, I get it. Tons of people want more 2D metroid - me among them - and Nintendo needs to make this worth it for them, but I'm really not OK with the decisions they're making here. I fully expect tons of Metroid fans to disagree with me, that's just how I personally feel.
Yup. Your favorite franchise is now hostage to sales. Better make sure your friends buy copies too. Don't forget the amiibos. This is just gross. Honestly, I want to support this game but the way they're going about it makes me hesitant.
Lol the usual buy this game or no sleazy marketing tactic

Man, my fellow Metroid fans can get pretty fragile sometimes.

There are reasons to be iffy on this like Amiibo practices. But being on 3DS and these sales as a metric for future 2D Metroid games is not unreasonable. Just how business works.

Not on Switch so no buy from me.

And screw the Fusion mode. Nintendo somehow managed to not only lock an entire difficulty behind day-one DLC, but also tied that same DLC to a physical toy that is limited in quantity.

It's one thing for customers to shell out extra for the entire experience on day one, but it's a whole other thing to create a situation where people might not be able to buy that DLC even if they wanted to. It's a scalper's ideal situation. Now there's the potential for the Fusion DLC to cost the customer two or three times the price Nintendo will be asking on day one, if Nintendo doesn't flood shelves with the new Amiibo.

Lastly and more directed towards the main information of this thread: buy a game because you like it and want to play it. Don't buy a game in the hopes that another game will be made at some point in the future.

Top Bottom