• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Oddish1

If the game is bad or isn't what some people want then, no they shouldn't buy it and I don't really think people should be trying to pressure them into buying it with this. If you want to convince someone to buy the game tell them how good you think the game is rather than how the future of Metroid depends on how the game sells.

I don't think Sakamoto was trying to guilt people into buying Samus Returns. I think he was just giving a standard "hey continue supporting the franchise and we'll keep making more" type answer which some sites took and framed in a more ominous way.

Neiteio

I don't think Sakamoto is using scare tactics. Samus Returns is very clearly exactly what Metroid fans want, so it's not like any of them have to be convinced to buy it. I think he's just being frank about the realities of business.

Servbot24

Banned
you mean people reacting to Sakamoto's statement and twisting them? okay. just on page 1, 100ppp

Looks like people don't want to feel like they're forced to spend their money. I don't see how that makes them shitty. I also don't see why that's proof that Metroid has a shitty fanbase in general.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks like people don't want to feel like they're forced to spend their money. I don't see how that makes them shitty. I also don't see why that's proof that Metroid has a shitty fanbase in general.

that's why they're already shitty - they already have this precognition that they're being forced to spend money from a twisted statement that they themselves can read that is false

so take your pick - shitty fanbase or just shitty reading comprehension, or just being intentionally dense

I don't think Sakamoto is using scare tactics. Samus Returns is very clearly exactly what Metroid fans want, so it's not like any of them have to be convinced to buy it. I think he's just being frank about the realities of business.

But muh 3DS! I can never touch it again now that the switch is out!

Anth0ny

I'm buying:

-NA special edition
-EU special edition
-amiibo 2 pack
-Metroid New 3DS

cMfkFGP.gif

RagnarokX

right

“Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.”

Translation: "Whether or not I get the opportunity to make another Metroid depends on if there is a market for it."

Plum

But muh 3DS! I can never touch it again now that the switch is out!

That is literally the case for people who sold their 3DS just because the Switch was released. Now it's somehow Nintendo's fault for announcing a game they want for a console they previously owned.

Servbot24

Banned
that's why they're already shitty - they already have this precognition that they're being forced to spend money from a twisted statement that they themselves can read that is false

so take your pick - shitty fanbase or just shitty reading comprehension, or just being intentionally dense

"Give us money or you're a bad fan and any problem with the franchise will be your fault" is not something anyone wants to be told. Is that a leap from a quote in the OP? Yeah, but it's a leap people are making because they've been told that before. What if someone doesn't like Samus Returns that much but does like other 2D Metroid games? They don't want to feel pressured to buy a game they are not actually that into.

And none of that makes them shitty people by the way.

yuoke

Banned
That is literally the case for people who sold their 3DS just because the Switch was released. Now it's somehow Nintendo's fault for announcing a game they want for a console they previously owned.

For those people yea, but there are other people saying stuff like "Well I don't want to have to use my 3ds now that I have the switch." I don't really get that at all.

What if someone doesn't like Samus Returns that much but does like other 2D Metroid games? They don't want to feel pressured to buy a game they are not actually that into.

How do they know they don't like it if they haven't played it?

Servbot24

Banned
How do they know they don't like it if they haven't played it?

Same as any other game. They see the trailer and it doesn't interest them for whatever reason, or it gets bad reviews, so they decide not to buy it.

Unlikely to happen in this case since SR looks pretty good as well as conventional, but when you have scenarios like Other M and federation Force...

yuoke

Banned
Same as any other game. They see the trailer and it doesn't interest them for whatever reason, or it gets bad reviews, so they decide not to buy it.

Unlikely to happen in this case since SR looks pretty good as well as conventional, but when you have scenarios like Other M and federation Force...

I mean as of now you have long time metroid fans that have played it and all gave it praise. Plus the gameplay looks pretty much just like zero mission/fusion. Just melee counters and finishers added in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
"Give us money or you're a bad fan and any problem with the franchise will be your fault" is not something anyone wants to be told. Is that a leap from a quote in the OP? Yeah, but it's a leap people are making because they've been told that before. What if someone doesn't like Samus Returns that much but does like other 2D Metroid games? They don't want to feel pressured to buy a game they are not actually that into.

So they double down on their misery rather than actually looking up on the source, especially right after the posts? That's even worse. Even if you ignore the thread, there are people just stating realities there that actually made the OP benign.

And yes, a fragile fanbase makes for a shitty community, where a simple spark can cause fires.

Plum

Nobody's pressuring anyone into anything. People are being met with the cold hard truth of capitalism (need money from previous thing to justify future thing) and reacting as if Nintendo's somehow being malicious against the Metroid franchise for no reason. This isn't EA saying we won't get Mass Effect if we don't buy FIFA, it's Sakamoto saying more 2D Metroid games will only be made if there's a market for them. You know, how literally every single other franchise works. If you don't buy SR you're contributing to a lack of 2D Metroid games in the future, I don't know why it's so hard for some people to own that.

Griss

Man, I love the idea of a Metroid 2 remake and it looks pretty good, but...

-It's a remake, so surprises will be few or non-existant
-It's on the 3DS when I'm playing Switch and PS4 now
-Amiibo locking issues
-Tons of great games coming out around then
-We're getting Metroid Prime 4 anyway whether this succeeds or not

It's a tough call. I'm 50/50 on it right now.

If this turns into another Fire Emblem situation, you guys might get another Metroid Remake, Metroid 5, two spin offs and a mobile title.

Plus 5 more Metroid characters in Smash.

(That's how much FE grew since Awakening lol)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

You keep pushing something sakomoto never said, we have the quote right infront of us, you don't need to lie and put words and sakomoto's mouth, its making me not take you seriously

yuoke

Banned
If this turns into another Fire Emblem situation, you guys might get another Metroid Remake, Metroid 5, two spin offs and a mobile title.

That's mostly just on sakurai, he is an admitted FE fanboy.

If the game is good, I will buy it.

However, I don't think Sakamoto is necessarily threatening or being rude with this comment.

Maybe it could have been said better though. It could have been framed in a way like: "we believe this is the 2D Metroid game fans have been wanting and we want to be able to make more so please buy it."

Servbot24

Banned
I mean as of now you have long time metroid fans that have played it and all gave it praise. Plus the gameplay looks pretty much just like zero mission/fusion. Just melee counters and finishers added in.

Right - I mentioned that. It's unlikely to occur for this game. But for other games it can easily be an issue. I think that SR will turn out to be a good game and be what fans wanted, but as a general concept I never like for fans to be put in a position of blame.

So they double down on their misery rather than actually looking up on the source, especially right after the posts? That's even worse. Even if you ignore the thread, there are people just stating realities there that actually made the OP benign.

And yes, a fragile fanbase makes for a shitty community, where a simple spark can cause fires.

We all understand that Sakomoto's statement goes without saying. Obviously no sales = bad news for franchise. Understand that fans have been out in the cold ever since MP3 - more than that they've been spat upon by Nintendo as they shovel crappy games out that basically served as soil for Metroid's burial. People not wanting Other M and FF could have caused Nintendo to say "wow I guess no one likes Metroid", and indeed it seemed for a while like that was going to be the case. MP4 and SR being announced at the same time still feels like a miracle.

So considering the experience that fans are fresh off, it should come as no surprise that some people still remember having to choose between buying a bad game or seeing their franchise die.

I'm not speaking for every single Metroid fan, but feeling that fresh wound does not make a fan shitty. It means the company was shitty to the fans for a long time.

You keep pushing something sakomoto never said, we have the quote right infront of us, you don't need to lie and put words and sakomoto's mouth, its making me not take you seriously
I'm not sure where you get "lying" from. I didn't put words in his mouth, and I explained clearly enough why fans could interpret the statement in different ways.

yuoke

Banned
If the game is good, I will buy it.

However, I don't think Sakamoto is necessarily threatening or being rude with this comment.

Maybe it could have been said better though. It could have been framed in a way like: "we believe this is the 2D Metroid game fans have been wanting and we want to be able to make more so please buy it."

That is framed worse, unless you were being sarcastic.

Opa-Pa

Right - I mentioned that. It's unlikely to occur for this game. But for other games it can easily be an issue. I think that SR will turn out to be a good game and be what fans wanted, but as a general concept I never like for fans to be put in a position of blame.

We all understand that Sakomoto's statement goes without saying. Obviously no sales = bad news for franchise. Understand that fans have been out in the cold ever since MP3 - more than that they've been spat upon by Nintendo as they shovel crappy games out that served a dirt for Metroid's burial. People not wanting Other M and FF could have caused Nintendo to say "wow I guess no one likes Metroid", and indeed it seemed for a while like that was going to be the case. MP4 and SR being announced at the same time still feels like a miracle.

So considering the experience that fans are fresh off, it should come as no surprise that some people still remember having to choose between buying a bad game or seeing their franchise die.

I'm not speaking for every single Metroid fan, but feeling that fresh wound does not make a fan shitty. It means the company was shitty to the fans for a long time.

I'm not sure where you get "lying" from. I didn't put words in his mouth, and I explained clearly enough why fans could interpret the statement in different ways.

This is a great way to articulate why some fans don't like Sakamoto's comment. Nice post.

Alright, so there will be

1. Dark Samus
2. Samus Returns Samus (Aeon abilities)
3. SA-X (Absorb into enemies and copy like Kirby)
4. Hyper Samus (Perma Hyper Mode)
5. Samus riding in a mini version of her ship

People clamour for having multiple Ganondorfs and Links (Link Link, not Toon Link) to cover different incarnations of their characters, why not Samus?

Servbot24

Banned
Alright, so there will be

1. Dark Samus
2. Samus Returns Samus (Aeon abilities)
3. SA-X (Absorb into enemies and copy like Kirby)
4. Hyper Samus (Perma Hyper Mode)
5. Samus riding in a mini version of her ship

People clamour for having multiple Ganondorfs and Links (Link Link, not Toon Link) to cover different incarnations of their characters, why not Samus?

I thought fans clamored for that to not happen. :p I sure do anyways!

My Metroid characters would be

1. Samus

...and that's it, damnit!

nillapuddin

I don't want amiibo

I don't want to stop moving to shoot

I don't want to play on 3DS

I don't want super abilities that go against Metroid history

... But I want more 2D Metroid

yuoke

Banned
They should had released metroid for both platforms, just like they did with smash and smb3d.

Smash is guaranteed to make tons and tons of money....metroid isn't. Making a switch port without even knowing the reception to the switch would make no sense.

Smash is guaranteed to make tons and tons of money....metroid isn't. Making a switch port without even knowing the reception to the switch would make no sense.

Damn near all the announced games for switch have been made without knowing the reception to switch. That would probably include Prime 4 too which of course will be a much bigger project.

First true Metroid title for me that I'm buying day one. Buying the Special Edition and the amiibo. I love the figures so the extras are a plus. Also I want to let this franchise have another chance.

I don't really care if it's not on the Switch. I still have my New 3DS XL and will continue to have it for many times to come.

I see no threat in his words. More like wishful thinking. Which I'm totally okay with.
So bring it on!

Opa-Pa

Feels really great to be one of the few chosen ones in the world capable of still playing 3DS while owning a Switch. I'm playing the Monster Hunter Stories demo ATM and someone should give me a prize, honestly.

I'm fairly confident this will be a success. Somewhere in the 1.5 mil worldwide sales department. We're starving for a competent Metroid and this looks more than adequate

Feels really great to be one of the few chosen ones in the world capable of still playing 3DS while owning a Switch. I'm playing the Monster Hunter Stories demo ATM and someone should give me a prize, honestly.

my hands start melting off when I play on my 3DS and the only way to fix them is to sleep with a Joycon in each hand

Not really amazing, about on par with fusion, super, original metroid 2....over 2 million would be great, over 3 million would be amazing.
For a Metroid game today. Yeah it would be amazing.

They really shouldn't be set on anything over 2 million. They have to be realistic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looking at what I'm planning on playing for the next nine months or so and 80% of those games are 3DS.

Top Bottom