• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

I can't install the Google launcher on this thing,it's not appearing in the default applications list after installing.

jrcbandit

Incredibly disappointed with my Note 4, the signal strength is much worse than the One M8 I used to have. I lose 4G connections in places I never have before. Verizon is being annoying about exchanging it for another in case mine is bad, they insist that I try a new Sim card first which won't do anything, but means less time to figure out if I need to go with another phone (which could be on back order).

Homeboyd

How do I activate the lock screen pattern once I've set it? I went into lock screen settings and set a pattern you have to "draw" to unlock the phone, but then when I go back to my lock screen, any pattern will still unlock it.. including a simple swipe in any direction. It's like I didn't "turn on" the lock or something. Any ideas?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
How do I activate the lock screen pattern once I've set it? I went into lock screen settings and set a pattern you have to "draw" to unlock the phone, but then when I go back to my lock screen, any pattern will still unlock it.. including a simple swipe in any direction. It's like I didn't "turn on" the lock or something. Any ideas?
When you go the the screen lock options, does it still say swipe? If it does, change it to pattern.

Homeboyd

When you go the the screen lock options, does it still say swipe? If it does, change it to pattern.
No it says pattern. It seems that just pressing the power button (or whatever it's called, on the right) doesnt "lock the screen." If I don't touch the phone for a while, it will lock and then it does ask for the pattern. How do I get it to lock on command?

No it says pattern. It seems that just pressing the power button (or whatever it's called, on the right) doesnt "lock the screen." If I don't touch the phone for a while, it will lock and then it does ask for the pattern. How do I get it to lock on command?
Under the Lock Screen settings, there's a "Lock instantly with power key" checkbox.

Held it the other day. Non-dwarf-hands master race reporting in. Surprisingly, I could comfortably use it with one hand. Maybe the next Note should be 6.5 inches?

1st drop out of the way.. It feel flat on its back from about 4ft as i exited my vehicle. 0 damage since it's in a case.

Isn't the back plastic? I doubt it could be damaged much either way :p

Schlep

Maybe the next Note should be 6.5 inches?

I love the Note 4. If the 5 went to that screen size, I'd have to...

fyFMwXS.gif

Koppai

I know this has nothing to do with it...

But the same trade in deal for Galaxy Note 4 also applies to the Galaxy S5. Just picked up the Best Buy blue S5 basically for free (besides tax and upgrade fee) with trade in of her phone for a $200 gift card when you purchase either of the above. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR THE DEAL. Hop on it if you want a huge discount!

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
So I picked up my Note 4 yesterday morning. I called a bunch of different Best Buys on Sunday and none of them had any in stock, but the one 40 miles away let me order one in case they received a shipment, and said that any working smartphone should work. On Friday I got the call saying mine came in, and I had to drive there and back in the morning before work to pick it up. I also stopped at Walmart and grabbed a $40 smartphone just in case, but the shitty smartphone I got out of a lost and found ended up working for the trade and I got the full $200 credit. Paying $100 for the hottest new phone is awesome. I love it so far, it's so big and bright.

I just transferred my apps and stuff with Smart Switch for Mobile, but one of them doesn't seem to have transferred right. It cost $5.99 on the Play store, but I already but I don't want to pay for an app I already bought. Do apps just not transfer across devices?

DALLAS, Nov. 3, 2014 – AT&T1 announced that the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge will be displayed in select AT&T retail stores nationwide on Nov. 7.

The Galaxy Note Edge is the first Quad High Definition Super AMOLED® display that wraps to create a functional, curved display. The customizable Edge display allows you to access your favorite apps and receive real-time notifications without interrupting what you’re doing on your main screen.

The Galaxy Note Edge will run on the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network,2 covering more than 300 million Americans. You will be able to purchase the Galaxy Note Edge in Charcoal Black and Frost White for $0 down on an AT&T Next plan at $39.42 per month with AT&T Next 183 or $47.30 per month with AT&T Next 12.3 You will also be able to get the cutting edge smartphone for $399.99 with a two-year agreement4 or at no annual commitment for $945.99.5

- See more at: http://about.att.com/story/the_next...n_select_att_stores.html#sthash.USkulIgc.dpuf
Bboy AJ... Please respond!

yeah, i think i'll survive with my 2nd UE BOOM instead of the EDGE.

and man, i love the UE BOOM even more now that i have a pair!

pairing them is a KILLER feature!!!

Gritesh

I love mine best phone I have ever owned.

Smooth fast multitasking features are great, screen is bright and beautiful, battery life is exceptional love everything about it

Eiolon

It's amazing. I am coming from a Note II. The screen clarity and brightness is awesome. On my Note II I had to have the brightness up all the way most of the time. Here I have it just less than half and it's still brighter than my old phone. Multi-tasking seems way easier as well.

I wish it didn't eat up 1.5GB of the 3GB RAM from boot up but hopefully Lollipop will optimize that better. Still, no sluggishness at all though.

Does autobrightness have the "Auto +1,2,3,4" option going? Or no? No idea why that was removed on my American S4.

Edit: Doesn't look like it does on Sprint... Why remove this feature? I seriously don't understand. It only improves Samsung's historically mediocore auto brightness...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So how is Note 4 GAF liking their handsets? I'm considering getting one...
Best phone I've ever owned. Came from a Galaxy S3 and it's such a big upgrade. Everything about the phone is amazing, including battery life. That's probably the best reason why I love the phone so much. It has incredible battery life.

Edit:

And I always keep it at auto brightness. I feel it does a good job at it and I love that it cranks up the brightness super high when you're outdoors which is only possible on auto brightness.

I had to return mine. Signal was considerably worse than moto g, LG G3 and a 5S. It also had some of the worst call quality I've ever experienced. The speakerphone was fine on my end but on the other end I sounded really bad! I think the noise canceling has some issues. Even in regular calls my contacts were complaining about my call quality which has never happened to me before.

Now I'm back on the Moto G while I decide on my next move.

Schlep

Build quality is really nice, screen is beautiful, call quality is great (I use VoLTE), long battery life, fast, above average camera although not the best out there, pen input is useful occasionally, and ultra power saving mode is a godsend (although sometimes it doesn't turn location services back on when exiting).

Overall it's the first phone I've had where I no longer feel the need to own a tablet and I'm not worried about leaving the house without the battery at 100%.

uniform

My GS3 has started overheating, so it's time to upgrade. Torn between this and the new Nexus. Waiting isn't convenient, but I don't want any regrets if the Nexus is better.

TheRook

My GS3 has started overheating, so it's time to upgrade. Torn between this and the new Nexus. Waiting isn't convenient, but I don't want any regrets if the Nexus is better.

It depends on what you really want. Are you ok with Samsung/carrier pre-install apps and is the S-Pen a necessity? Or is Stock Android with near instant updates to software a must?

Personally I'd go with the Nexus 6, but many have already said the Note 4 is the best phone Samsung has ever made, so it's really up to whats important to you.

uniform

It depends on what you really want. Are you ok with Samsung/carrier pre-install apps and is the S-Pen a necessity? Or is Stock Android with near instant updates to software a must?

Both devices seem to have similar specs, so it really does come down a few differences like stock Android. Getting Lollipop first would definitely be nice. However, I assume the Note wouldn't be too far behind. The bloat I have on the GS3 isn't great, but it's not something that would make me write off another Samsung device.

The Note's stylus looks really nifty in action, but constantly being on the go I wonder how often I would use it. It's one of the Note's big draws, so I guess it's something better experienced before speculating if it's something I want.

Build quality is really nice, screen is beautiful, call quality is great (I use VoLTE), long battery life, fast, above average camera although not the best out there, pen input is useful occasionally, and ultra power saving mode is a godsend (although sometimes it doesn't turn location services back on when exiting).

Overall it's the first phone I've had where I no longer feel the need to own a tablet and I'm not worried about leaving the house without the battery at 100%.

So much this. Haven't used my ipad in weeks.

Also, I'm at 16% battery right now and I'm like, "Eh, I'll charge it later today."

The battery is a fucking monster. I haven't charged it since wednesday night.

Xtyle

god damn it.
worst thing happened today to my note 4. It felt out of my pocket while I was moving some boxes. I lost the phone and 10 mins later I went back and picked it up off the street (thank god it was still there) but the left side of it had 2 bad dents and the glass protector I added has a crack on one corner. Everything else seems to be just fine.

Since I have no insurance and it has passed the 14 days for return...I pretty much have to keep it. I did contact Samsung and they won't take it back are setting up an RMA for me but I don't know if this will go through. Worst case, I will just put a case bumper on this phone and no damage is visible with that.

Ric Flair

Banned
My phone has been on backorder for over two weeks now. Love ya T-Mobile! :smooch
So does the phone have a slot for the stylus ala Nintendo 3ds or is it just something that comes with the phone?

The Note series always had a slot for the stylus.

Can't think of any stylus phone/tablet that doesn't, not counting drawing tablets.

I got to try a Galaxy Note Pro last night and the screen was so beautiful.

valeo

god damn it.
worst thing happened today to my note 4. It felt out of my pocket while I was moving some boxes. I lost the phone and 10 mins later I went back and picked it up off the street (thank god it was still there) but the left side of it had 2 bad dents and the glass protector I added has a crack on one corner. Everything else seems to be just fine.

This seems like it could be worse :d

The Note series always had a slot for the stylus.

Can't think of any stylus phone/tablet that doesn't, not counting drawing tablets.

I got to try a Galaxy Note Pro last night and the screen was so beautiful.

Surface Pro

Surface Pro 2

Surface Pro 3

and you should see the Tab S screen. it will blow your mind.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Going down Friday to Sprint to get my edge. I'm pretty damn excited! Curious to see what types of covers will be available. I may just go with a screen protector and forgo a cover. Thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom