• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropy912

Neo Member
The official protective covers are pretty awesome for a minimal case. Adds very little bulk to the phone and it's amazing to me how much better it feels than the old Spigen case I had.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP3K8Y2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks, your comment was really helpful as I was looking at a Spigen case. I definitely like the look of this one and the price isn't too bad. I was also thinking of the OEM flip case too but I think I'd get annoyed having to open it all the time.

Zyae

Thanks, your comment was really helpful as I was looking at a Spigen case. I definitely like the look of this one and the price isn't too bad. I was also thinking of the OEM flip case too but I think I'd get annoyed having to open it all the time.

I love the Spigen Neo Hybrid on my Note 3.

torontoml

Couple questions about the note 4, just got one myself.

1st, Is the gps not very good? It works fine outside but in my basement apartment it can't lock on to anything, my s3 that just broke and nexus 10 have little issue.

2nd, Kinda Gaf specific but when using the dark theme I get a dark blue tinge in the name bar approximately like in the picture when scrolling down and it's on the bottom when scrolling up.

jONVut4.jpg

longdi

Banned
Buy the Edge if you only want to increase your chance of dropping your phone.

Edge is just another Samsung gonna samsung!

Couple questions about the note 4, just got one myself.

1st, Is the gps not very good? It works fine outside but in my basement apartment it can't lock on to anything, my s3 that just broke and nexus 10 have little issue.

2nd, Kinda Gaf specific but when using the dark theme I get a dark blue tinge in the name bar approximately like in the picture when scrolling down and it's on the bottom when scrolling up.
For the second one, is power saving enabled? If so disable it as it halves the screen refresh

For the first one clear your GPS cache and build it again by leaving it on or use GPSTest

Mook1e

How bad is ebay with regards to clone Note 4s?
I have $700 cash (Xmas gift) and I want to get a Note 4. I'm on T-mobile, but I'm moving to Germany in 1 week. Should I get a Note 4 on Ebay, just buy at T-mobile, or wait and buy overseas?
I'll be traveling back to the U.S. off and on.

I have $700 cash (Xmas gift) and I want to get a Note 4. I'm on T-mobile, but I'm moving to Germany in 1 week. Should I get a Note 4 on Ebay, just buy at T-mobile, or wait and buy overseas?

use Swappa, not ebay. or just buy at T-Mobile.

TedNindo

I don`t know about Germany but the Note 4 is 750 euro over here in Belgium. The Note Edge is 850.

But I bet prices are pretty close.

Adding in exchange rates I bet its a lot cheaper in the US.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any former Nexus owners that regret getting a Note?

I just wanna drop by and say that I LOVE MY NOTE 4

I don't think the note 4 has any equal unless we are talking about the iPhone 6 +...but in terms of android, its no contest, the note is thebest android phablet.

It pretty much does everything better than the nexus 6.

Screen
Camera
Battery
Usage

Nexus 6 only has stock android, and even I don't think that's an advantage.

After swearing off Samsung phones for a while, I finally dropped my G3 to get a Note 4. Glad I did. Love it. I don't even hate this version of Touchwiz.

Does everything well.

NotBacon

I don't think the note 4 has any equal unless we are talking about the iPhone 6 +...but in terms of android, its no contest, the note is thebest android phablet.

It pretty much does everything better than the nexus 6.

Screen
Camera
Battery
Usage

Nexus 6 only has stock android, and even I don't think that's an advantage.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

I like how you're trying your darnedest to show that the Note is superior (with points like "Usage" and "stock Android is not an advantage") when in reality they're equal and just for different people. With a battery life that is differentiated by about 30m, and a camera that is only differentiated in saturation, yes, they are equal for all purposes and intent. I will concede with the screen though, that Note 4 screen is nice.

My favorite part is how you crown yourself the king of being unbiased, but look where we are...

Edit: Didn't come in here to shit up the Note 4 thread, carry on with your fine purchase, just came in to call bullshit when I see it.

Entropy912

Neo Member
I've had the phone for a month now and I still can't get over how awesome it is. Battery life, speed, camera, screen quality. It is just amazing. I wanted to give my quick 2 cents regarding the official Samsung S-View OEM flip case in case anyone is considering purchasing it.

Pros:
  • Since the case replaces the back of the phone, the overall profile is still extremely slim which was my biggest concern.
  • The front cover folds back all the way back and can be comfortably held flush against the back of the phone
  • Being able to answer the phone, read text messages, change tracks, and turn on the flashlight without opening the cover is great
  • Being able to take quick pictures without opening the cover is surprisingly convenient even though the pictures are sized oddly to accomodate the S-View window.

Cons:
  • The S-view window is finger print magnet and constantly shows smudges
  • You can't change which apps you have access to when the cover is closed.
  • Along the same lines, only the native SMS app is supported, i.e. you can't read What's App or other message apps with the cover closed

Overall, I wouldn't pay the MSRP of $50 for it, but for $20 on ebay I think it's the best case on the market. The added functionality is surprisingly useful although I wish the S-view interface could be customized.

Whelan

Banned
Anyone in the UK know of best price for Note 4 sim only? Was just going to use Amazon but wonder if there are cheaper options

VoxPop

So I was playing around with my mom's Note 4 that I got her the other day and wtf, why does it still stutter when scrolling in Chrome? I thought they fixed all that.

Like what?
Basically, the notification center is ugly as all fuck. That's pretty much it. Once you get the Nova launcher up and running, you're gold. But there's no escaping that ugly ass notification center.

Conte plating rooting my phone and putting cyanogenmod lollipop on here, but the last time I tried cyanogenmod 11, it was pretty buggy. Just not stable when all is said and done.

Grinchy

Banned
My brother got a Note 4 since it was $250 on Amazon. It's a pretty sweet phone IMO. It's fucking huge though.

I got a S4 as a free upgrade on Verizon and I fucking love it. I'm not a phone guy so it was a big upgrade for me. I can kinda see why people like phones after using it.

Basically, the notification center is ugly as all fuck. That's pretty much it. Once you get the Nova launcher up and running, you're gold. But there's no escaping that ugly ass notification center.

Conte plating rooting my phone and putting cyanogenmod lollipop on here, but the last time I tried cyanogenmod 11, it was pretty buggy. Just not stable when all is said and done.

you could just root and mod the notification bar. many people just remove the brightness slider and search crap and call it a day.

What's the easiest way to root a phone? I remember it being fairly complicated way back when. The last time I did it was to a GS3 so that I could put cyanogenmod kitkat on there.

I wish there was some simple one click method already.

Brandwin

How is everyone's battery life? This is easily the best battery life I have had on a phone, but looking at other peoples battery life on Androidcentral, and it's not nearly as good as some others. It's not my battery though, as I have two different ones. Something has to be draining it.

turnbuckle

Impressions after a few months:

- Amazing battery life
- Benchmark scores not representative of my experience

I love this phone but certain websites make my phone chug to the point of being unusable. Slickdeals is all but worthless and weather.com isn't much better.

Still experience a little bit of stutter or whatever when scrolling through less problematic websites.

Lots of stuff the phone comes with by default that I can't remove or disable. First time ever I've considered rooting but afraid of messing something up or losing access to features I depend on (GPS, mainly).

Has anyone used the Helium backup app on the Note 4?

I'm considering upgrading to the Note 4 soon and since the AT&T version can't be rooted (at least not yet), my options seem to be a little limited for transferring my apps and data from my current phone to the new one.

I tried the Helium app (free version) with my Note 2 and got it working, but it is rooted so I'm not 100% sure it will work with the Note 4. It's not the biggest deal in the world, I'm sure getting my text and call data won't be hard, but I really don't want to lose some of my game saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom