• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Going down Friday to Sprint to get my edge. I'm pretty damn excited! Curious to see what types of covers will be available. I may just go with a screen protector and forgo a cover. Thoughts.
You're getting the Edge? Awesome! Please post a lot of impressions here.

kmfdmpig

Any GAF Note 3 owners make the jump to Note 4? I ask because I had a Note 2, was planning to get a 4, but got a free Note 3 last week (Samsung Mobility Insights program). The 3 is a nice upgrade over the 2, so it might tide me over until Note 5 (or whatever other good phablet is out at that point).
I know the camera is much better on the 4, but otherwise are there any real game changers from the 3? Does the screen look much better in person?

vgamer1

A lot of Surfaces I've seen have a little sticky pad thing attached to the keyboard which is a pen holster loop thing.

fierro

Banned
Just got the note 4 for $800 CAD including tax.

Right way the screen pops out and just makes you say damn! The performance is amazing especially when using it with emulators like winulator. The battery life is vastly improved so allows me to use it freely and not worry about charging it constantly. Finally the charge time on the phone is pretty ridiculously fast.

This is coming from a Note 2. Worth every Penny.

xTOOLx

Any GAF Note 3 owners make the jump to Note 4? I ask because I had a Note 2, was planning to get a 4, but got a free Note 3 last week (Samsung Mobility Insights program). The 3 is a nice upgrade over the 2, so it might tide me over until Note 5 (or whatever other good phablet is out at that point).
I know the camera is much better on the 4, but otherwise are there any real game changers from the 3? Does the screen look much better in person?

Do you have any referrals to give from the mobility program?

Anyone get the Edge yet? It was supposed to come out today for T Mobile, but my local store said none was shipped out. Idk if its nationwide or just my area.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anyone get the Edge yet? It was supposed to come out today for T Mobile, but my local store said none was shipped out. Idk if its nationwide or just my area.
Sprint said it's out but they didn't get any. I paid the taxes on it and reserved one when it comes in. Should be soon they said. Three or 4 days.

i dunno about this guys...

battery-test.jpg

7% less battery capacity. 11% more pixels.

Frodo

I hold a Note 4 yesterday for the first time and:

It doesn't feel THAT huge. The screen is amazing. And Samsung could learn a thing or two with Google (and maybe Motorola) when designing the UI. It is absolutely hideous. Although it does feel snappy and fluid, so there is that.

I'd love to have one, but I'll give preference to the Nexus 6 now.

I hold a Note 4 yesterday for the first time and:

It doesn't feel THAT huge. The screen is amazing. And Samsung could learn a thing or two with Google (and maybe Motorola) when designing the UI. It is absolutely hideous. Although it does feel snappy and fluid, so there is that.

I'd love to have one, but I'll give preference to the Nexus 6 now.
They're both great choices, though this one is better. Ultimately, the decision is yours. Be together. Not the same.

bjscott05

Just got the note 4 today and I am very happy. Plus, touchwiz isn't that bad now. I just slapped Nova launcher on and I'm good to go!

kmfdmpig

Just got the note 4 today and I am very happy. Plus, touchwiz isn't that bad now. I just slapped Nova launcher on and I'm good to go!

That's been my experience with the Note 2 and Note 3. Touchwiz, which the internet at large makes out to the worst thing ever, ends up just being some widgets and apps that I don't use as it's easy to replace with a different launcher. If the argument is then that it slows things down then the obvious rebuttal is that the Note line always has top tier specs, so it does not seem like a big deal.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Alright, any Canadians know if the Note 4s sold from Telus will work on the AWS carriers (Wind)? I can't find out which model is being sold at these places. I'm pretty sure Canada has only one model, but can't find out 100%.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I hold my new Galaxy Note Edge in my hands as I type. This is the sexiest piece of electronics I've ever seen. Hands down. Just got it so haven't done much with it but the edge really simplifies navigating for sure. Very cool.

-MB-

I got a Note 4 on contract extension 2 days ago. But today I wanted to replace the sim with another one. I turn off the phone, put the other in, and now it won't turn on at all anymore. Not even gettign any charging light when hooked to the charger.

I got a Note 4 on contract extension 2 days ago. But today I wanted to replace the sim with another one. I turn off the phone, put the other in, and now it won't turn on at all anymore. Not even gettign any charging light when hooked to the charger.
is the battery inserted correctly? yes! then it sounds defective. get it replaced at the point of sale.

I just got the note 4 today, and its pretty nice. The metal band really felt super and it was not as heavy as i thought it would.
I need to continue using it to give it a good rundown of its con and pros, but so far so good.
and goddamnit google, get that sync service up.

Ecto311

Just got this phone and it is great but is anyone else having issues with it freezing? I can use it for a few hours no problem then I go to unlock it and nothing. It lights up but won't let me do anything. Then I turn it off and wait and same thing. After maybe an hour then I can get into it. I have got the cleaner app and tried that and also did the factory reset and neither have helped.

This is not making me real excited to get away from iPhone when this phone is nothing but problems right out the gate. I might swap it tomorrow for another one if that is what it takes. I have not installed anything new to the phone that was not there or tweaked any other settings.

I am totally in love with my Note Edge. I'm not sure this is the sexiest device I've owned, as I'm coming from Sony's brilliantly design Z1S, but man it's nice.

I can't seem to find a decent case for it, though. That's been my one complaint.

Alright, any Canadians know if the Note 4s sold from Telus will work on the AWS carriers (Wind)? I can't find out which model is being sold at these places. I'm pretty sure Canada has only one model, but can't find out 100%.

Canada only has one model but if you buy from Telus, the phone will be locked to Telus. If you get an unlocked one, it should work with WIND.

Just got this phone and it is great but is anyone else having issues with it freezing? I can use it for a few hours no problem then I go to unlock it and nothing. It lights up but won't let me do anything. Then I turn it off and wait and same thing. After maybe an hour then I can get into it. I have got the cleaner app and tried that and also did the factory reset and neither have helped.

This is not making me real excited to get away from iPhone when this phone is nothing but problems right out the gate. I might swap it tomorrow for another one if that is what it takes. I have not installed anything new to the phone that was not there or tweaked any other settings.

sounds defective. haven't had any issues like that and i've had mine for what, 6 weeks now?

Ecto311

sounds defective. haven't had any issues like that and i've had mine for what, 6 weeks now?

I thought so because I have seen other forum posts where people have this issue and people say to return it. Ill swap tomorrow at att and see if the next one does the same thing. I hope not since being stuck with a phone for 18 months is a long time if its going to potentially be a shit show.

Alchemy

Whats the easiest way to get a GSM Note 4 unlocked and off contract? Seems insane I can't buy one straight from Samsung.

sasimirobot

GEAR VR IS HERE:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearable-tech/SM-R320NPWSXAR?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000427

All Note 4 owners interested in diving into the world of VR, BUY NOW!!!!!!!

Ordered mine and ponied up the $19.99 for next day PM delivery --- I will be one happy camper if it arrives tomorrow!!!!

have been waiting to buy for this reason only. whats the deal?

1. does it matter what version of Note 4 you have? euro, china, america?

2. how you can buy this? online, direct, etc...

3. online store or credit card, for vr apps/games/movies? what does it come with and how can you upgrade, buy full games, movies, etc...?

Whats the easiest way to get a GSM Note 4 unlocked and off contract? Seems insane I can't buy one straight from Samsung.

There are a couple retailers on Amazon that have good ratings. I almost bought mine there, until the Verizon rep I was talking to told me they don't support unlocked notes.

What was the "buy it for your second line" thing that someone had for getting new phone without upgrading your current plan? I really need to get a new phone, but I'll be damned if I'm losing my unlimited data.

Ecto311

Got another one today and none of the lag or pausing of the screen so it should be good from here. Anyone have a link or a good site for wallpapers for this thing? I have googled around and found very little as far as collections that don't look like shit or are 16:9 and not 9:16.

Entropy912

Neo Member
I got my phone over the weekend and it's a fucking beast, I'm really happy with it. I'm in the market for a case right now, something minimal but with decent protection. Any gaf recommendations?

I got my phone over the weekend and it's a fucking beast, I'm really happy with it. I'm in the market for a case right now, something minimal but with decent protection. Any gaf recommendations?
The official protective covers are pretty awesome for a minimal case. Adds very little bulk to the phone and it's amazing to me how much better it feels than the old Spigen case I had.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP3K8Y2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which carrier do you have? The Verizon one has a different mic placement and needs a special type of case.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So... No one with an Edge yet? If it goes to $500, I'll really consider getting one. Touchwiz makes it tough but damn the hardware is sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom