• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
galaxy-s7_overview_step2_s7.png
galaxy-s7_overview_step2_edge.png

1456090315154.jpg

Key specs

7YgdyLz.jpg

New Edge Screen featues:
1456090315154.jpg

Release Info:

The Galaxy S7 release date is March 11th, though you'll be able to stake your place in line earlier still. Pre-orders begin on February 23rd, which means there isn't long to decide which carrier gets your business.

On AT&T, the Galaxy S7 will be $23.17 per month on the carriers' Next 24 plan, for the 32GB phone. The Galaxy S7 edge also has 32GB of storage, and starts at $26.50 on the same plan. Oddly, given what the name would imply, both Next 24 plans run for 30 months.

Sprint will offer the Galaxy S7 for $27.09 per month for 24 months, or the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge for $31.25 per month over the same period. The carrier is also doing a promotion where buyers get a second handset of the same Galaxy they bought for half price, though that takes the form of a service credit.

The carrier's budget brands will also get the phones, with Boost Mobile snagging both on March 11 too, while Virgin Mobile USA will follow on shortly after.

T-Mobile USA has priced the Galaxy S7 for $27.92 per month for 23 months and $27.83 for the final month, as part of its payments plan. The S7 edge will be $32.50 for 23 months, and then a final $32.39 payment. Alternatively, it'll be offered on JUMP! On Demand for $32.50 per month for the S7 or $28 per month for the S7 edge.

T-Mobile says that the Galaxy S7 full retail price is $669.99, while the Galaxy S7 edge is $779.99.
Verizon has committed to the February 23rd preorder date, but is yet to confirm pricing at this stage.

Finally, U.S. Cellular will have a 24 month payment plan option, with the Galaxy S7 for $28 and the Galaxy S7 edge at $32.50. However, there'll also be two-year agreements, at which point the S7 will be $199 upfront and the S7 edge will be $299.

Whichever carrier you order from, Samsung has a US promotion which might appeal to virtual reality fans. If you buy a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge between February 23rd and March 18th, Samsung will include a Gear VR headset plus a bundle of six games.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-release-date-and-pricing-confirmed-21428298/

Gonna pick up the S7 edge, plus that free vr gear and one year of Netflix from T-Mobile sure does help make this decision a whole lot easier.

When is the new Android thing getting realeased where Google takes over and throws away all the manufacturer customization so you get the update right away?

reKon

Banned
Still has shitty touch wiz and probably abysmal memory management.

how about we wait until the phone comes out first before making that judgement

This will be my next phone if its battery life can beat Z3

It won't, but it entirely depends on how TouchWiz is handled on Android M and whether they do a good. I could see it at matching the Xperia Z3 battery life at best if they do this right. Any battery drain bugs will prevent this obviously, but theoretically I think it should be able to match. It's pushing a much higher resolution and it's 100 mAH smaller than Z3's battery. I'm basing this on battery benchmarks I've seen from websites for the At&t/T Mobile version of the Galaxy S6 (Anandtech, PhoneArena, and GSMArena) and the fact that the Samsung is producing the most energy efficient displays out right now.

NotBacon

how do you think the galaxy s7 will compare to the nexus 6p?

Probably almost even, just depending on your needs.

Grab the Samsung if you want a phone with a million features, Samsung apps, and Samsung customizations on top of the OS.

Grab the Nexus if you want a phone that Just Works™.

Trouble

Banned
I'm in for the S7, GAF. My 2014 Moto X is adequate, but the battery life is depressing.

Nice thing is my two existing Qualcomm quick chargers will work with the S7.

Trouble

Banned
Probably almost even, just depending on your needs.

Grab the Samsung if you want a phone with a million features, Samsung apps, and Samsung customizations on top of the OS.

Grab the Nexus if you want a phone that Just Works™.

Some of us with tiny babby hands don't want 6" screens.

A silver S7 edge will be mine. I've loved my S6 edge that I've only had a short while, but we recently shaved $55 of our monthly bill without losing any data, so I figure what the hell.

It's funny how the two things I felt like I was losing from my Nokia 928 are two of the new features (always on screen and low light photos).

reKon

Banned
Going to put in my pre-order as soon as I'm able on T-Mobile.

I noticed that the S7 is about 1mm thicker than the S6. It's also a bit heavier, but slightly more compact.

Likely because of the combination of bigger battery and perhaps because of the micro SD slot.

If Touchwiz was more like stock Android, we would be getting a super upgraded Xperia Z5 that's slightly more compact. Both phones have around the same battery size (Z3 had 3100 mAH and Z5 has 2900 mAH), are made composed primarily of glass and metal, have expandable storage, waterproof/dustproof with IP68 certification, and fast fingerprint scanners.

Difference is the S7 likely has the better camera, in addition to having a more powerful CPU, GPU, memory, and higher memory capacity.

As long as the software stays are light and functional as it has been on my Tab S2, I think this will be a good upgrade from my Xperia Z3 Compact.

I really like the phone, but I need that Band 12 LTE to get that Verizon like coverage!

Thinking about moving from my old iphone 4s to this, should I get the edge version?, for people with the 6 edge, are the edges worth the price (+ more battery)?.

Thinking about moving from my old iphone 4s to this, should I get the edge version?, for people with the 6 edge, are the edges worth the price (+ more battery)?.
On the s6, the only reason to get the edge was if you liked how it looked. I really did. The software tweaks were pretty worthless. The s7 edge has a slightly bigger screen if that's your thing and yeah, that bigger battery.

Better software may make it more than an aesthetic thing this time, but I don't care. Go see the s6 and edge in person to see how much more striking the edge is in person.

I disagree... more Ram, significantly bigger battery, return of the Micro SD slot, and waterproof.

Samsung will just use the extra RAM for their own bloated software. Anyway am I the only one who would like a return to USB 3.0 like what was on the Note 3? Transfers speeds were so much better.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So the s5's removable sd card and waterproof returned, then they reduced camera's pixel count. Also battery upgrade

lOnjp-.gif

Radec

March 18 release here in Malaysia.

Preorder bonus not yet announced but it will probably be the VR as well.

If G5 is in April, I'll probably will wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom