• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr0st

Banned
This phone is probably faster than my laptop lol...off topic but does anyone know if apple is going to do a press thing for the new 4 inch iphone? Cause many are speculating that it comes out in march too.

This phone is probably faster than my laptop lol...off topic but does anyone know if apple is going to do a press thing for the new 4 inch iphone? Cause many are speculating that it comes out in march too.
yes the rumour is that the event will be in march.

reKon

Banned
Ok nerds, you maybe able to rejoice.. The Galaxy S7 Edge may actually include an infrared sensor?

I haven't seen anything confirming this for the Galaxy S7. If it AndroidPit is accurate about it on the Galaxy S7 Edge, then no one truly does give a shit, lol... Sorry to the 5% of users who care enough for this to be a deal breaker (don't worry, I've been in the same position before where no one cared about a feature I wanted)

Also, I got to say that I'm happy with how the final dimensions turned out. This always ends up being my main concern when a new phone that I desire comes out. Samsung pretty much took the S6 and S5 and smashed it together to get what we have now. They've made the S7 a narrower phone, which should help one handed use a little more: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&&idPhone1=7821&idPhone2=6849&idPhone3=6033

If they shaved a tiny bit more off the top and bottom, this would have nearly G2, which IMO absolutely nailed it screen to phone ratio wise.

Ok nerds, you maybe able to rejoice.. The Galaxy S7 Edge may actually include an infrared sensor?

I haven't seen anything confirming this for the Galaxy S7. If it AndroidPit is accurate about it on the Galaxy S7 Edge, then no one truly does give a shit, lol... Sorry to the 5% of users who care enough for this to be a deal breaker (don't worry, I've been in the same position before where no one cared about a feature I wanted)

Also, I got to say that I'm happy with how the final dimensions turned out. This always ends up being my main concern when a new phone that I desire comes out. Samsung pretty much took the S6 and S5 and smashed it together to get what we have now. They've made the S7 a narrow phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&&idPhone1=7821&idPhone2=6849&idPhone3=6033
Looks more like a noise cancelling mic to me... my S6 edge has that same little hole on the top, and it's separate to the infra red emitter.

wildfire

Banned
yes the rumour is that the event will be in march.

I'll be very surprised if Apple does this so soon. Usually they do an announcement in January or the summer so with January long gone I expected it to be 4-5 months before the next iphone came out. I could wait 2 weeks to hear what Apple is offering but at the end of the day multi window is my jam and Samsung still has the best Android implementation though the panels restricted to the tablets in the latest IOS really interested me.

If they finally bring that functionality to their phones then I would seriously consider jumping to the ios ecosystem even though I've sunk quite a bit of money in Android apps.

Negator

Finally. I can't even imagine how much of an upgrade this phone will be. Can't wait to pre-order it on Tuesday.

Best Buy is giving out a 64GB MicroSD card with pre-orders in addition to the Gear VR.

Trouble

Banned
This is going to be my first Samsung Galaxy phone since the OG Galaxy Nexus. Is something along the lines of this guide likely to be the best way to approximate stock android without rooting the phone or voiding the warranty?

Basically install Google Now launcher, disable Samsung apps, install material design theme.

zewone

This is going to be my first Samsung Galaxy phone since the OG Galaxy Nexus. Is something along the lines of this guide likely to be the best way to approximate stock android without rooting the phone or voiding the warranty?

Basically install Google Now launcher, disable Samsung apps, install material design theme.

This looks like the best option, yes.

I have the galaxy s6 edge+ and aside from the expanded battery I don't think it's worth it for me. Yeah it also has sd card but I save most of my music on the cloud.

Henrar

Only 32 gigabyte versions? Get out with this. I want more built-in fast storage to install apps and not deal with microSD, even though it's great to keep music and movies on it.

Swag

Was thinking of getting an S6 this month, but might as well wait for this to come out, phone looks awesome

Called EE (UK) about upgrading early to this, laughably shite service as per. Guy said he didn't think the S7 was coming out until September (Uhhh....).

Once we sorted that out, he talked with a few of his colleagues and none of them heard anything about Gear VR bundles with a pre-order, so I have no idea.

Vodafone are the only ones advertising the Gear VR pre-order bonus at the moment, so either they're just ahead of the curve or it's exclusive to them?

Excited to grab the Edge. I have a Note 3 that's been glorious. But the 5.5 is probably the perfect size for me and I rarely use the Stylus. All I know is I can never go back to IPS phones.

There's no worry that this would be a minor upgrade for me. Still have that Galaxy S3 from 2012. People are talking about how Marshmallow tastes I still don't know how Lollipop tastes. Should be fun to have a real phone again after all the time experiencing the deterioration of my current phone.

The only thing that I'm worried about is the battery. My experience has been that the battery definitely is not as good on its last day as is it is one its first day. If I can't take the battery out is there no way to restore it to its previous state? Sounds like it's stuck inside the phone forever.

Also I think I want the S7 edge. I've recently held the S6 and S6 edge and while I thought that the S6 edge was a little edgier :) the regular S6 felt a bit better to hold. I hope that the S7 edge has risen up in comparison to its counterpart.

Alchemy

The Edge 7 actually looks really great, but I'm still more tempted by the A9's battery life. Not that I should be thinking about upgrading right now -____-

nib95

Banned
Don't fall for the Samsung hype. Their software is still top garbage.

Rubbish. I actually prefer their software to vanilla Android and other variants. Stuff like split screen multitasking, beauty mode, direct call etc are really useful. The phone is also lightning quick. The only issue is sometimes the reload of apps after switching between multiple other apps, but it rarely happens and is basically a non issue. The fact that no other mobile offers true split screen multitasking the way Touchwiz does still surprises me.

The biggest drawback of the S6 for me is it's battery life, and the S7 looks to be rectifying that.

Nander

New Edge Screen featues:
1456090315154.jpg

Samsung stealing Nokia's "squircle" while Nokia is still warm in the grave?

Rubbish. I actually prefer their software to vanilla Android and other variants. Stuff like split screen multitasking, beauty mode, direct call etc are really useful. The phone is also lightning quick. The only issue is sometimes the reload of apps after switching between multiple other apps, but it rarely happens and is basically a non issue. The fact that no other mobile offers true split screen multitasking the way Touchwiz does still surprises me.

The biggest drawback of the S6 for me is it's battery life, and the S7 looks to be rectifying that.
LG has it in the G3 and G4, one of my most-used features. But they appear to have dropped it for the G5, which is moronic. The S7 edge is really tempting, yeah, but I'm bummed they got rid of IR.

nib95

Banned
LG has it in the G3 and G4, one of my most-used features. But they appear to have dropped it for the G5, which is moronic. The S7 edge is really tempting, yeah, but I'm bummed they got rid of IR.

Oh snap didn't realise. Why on Earth would they get rid of it? It's an incredible feature. Love watching livestreams and YT videos whilst simultaneously posting on GAF or browsing the web.

The hype for this phone is near none existent; when compared to the galaxy s6's reveal.

i mean, its technically the same phone but waterproof and has an sd card.

Oh snap didn't realise. Why on Earth would they get rid of it? It's an incredible feature. Love watching livestreams and YT videos whilst simultaneously posting on GAF or browsing the web.
Same here. No app drawer anymore, either. It's a bit weird that my G3 with Marshmallow has those features still, but they ditched them in their new flagship. At least give the option. I was really onboard with everything LG was doing with the G2-4, but they lost me with the G5. I realize they're trying to innovate, but none of their innovations interest me. The S7 edge with its thin bezels, IP68, huge battery and improved camera is looking really tempting.

Mascot

Don't get the Edge. Once the wow and novelty of my S6E quickly wore off I soon wished I'd stuck with a flat screen. And it didn't even cost me (ie my company) any more for the Edge.

nib95

Banned
Don't get the Edge. Once the wow and novelty of my S6E quickly wore off I soon wished I'd stuck with a flat screen. And it didn't even cost me (ie my company) any more for the Edge.

I stuck with the standard last time around because I dislike the idea of curved screens generally, whether on mobile or with TV's. The warped aspect ratio and glare just don't seem compelling, having said that, the decision is much harder this time around because the S7 Edge actually has a bigger screen, and similar to you, there's little to no cost difference between the two for my upgrade. Is the curve worth putting up with for the larger screen... Hmmm....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never really considered the galaxy phones. i think right now i'm definitely gonna be picking up the S7. i love my nexus 5 but i think it's time to get an upgrade. really don't like the Nexus 5X/6P.

the only thing i'm worried about is touchwiz and android updates. will the S7 likely get Android N or will it forever be on Marshmallow?

nib95

Banned
Watching this impressions video from TechRadar, and this Game Launcher thing looks awesome. Allows you to record video or take screenshots of your gaming on the fly, a bit like PS4 Share or Fraps. Also allows other tweaks and configs. Very cool.

TechRadar | Galaxy S7 hands on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom