• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hype for this phone is near none existent; when compared to the galaxy s6's reveal.

i mean, its technically the same phone but waterproof and has an sd card.

Faster CPU/GPU, better camera, bigger battery are also pretty big factors. I got to play with the s7 edge and it is quite nice. I was not a fan of the original edge but this one feels and looks a lot better IMO

My advice to those who preorder, buy off contract. I got pretty tired of doing the whole ATT Next and buying it on this weird lease. I bought a Nexus 6p and am done with contracts. If I did not upgrade to the 6p id get the S7 Edge and wouldnt have any problems paying the $800 or so for the phone.

FaintDeftone

TouchWiz is a piece of shit. The sooner Google implement a unified Android OS across all devices the better.

Yep.

I will not touch another Android device until the unified OS is implemented. I went back to Apple because I hated buying Android phones and always getting the shaft on new versions of Android.

The S7 looks very nice though. It looks like the best elements of the S5 and the best elements of the S6 are all included in one device. I'm more curious to see what the Note 6 ends up doing.

Called EE (UK) about upgrading early to this, laughably shite service as per. Guy said he didn't think the S7 was coming out until September (Uhhh....).

Once we sorted that out, he talked with a few of his colleagues and none of them heard anything about Gear VR bundles with a pre-order, so I have no idea.

Vodafone are the only ones advertising the Gear VR pre-order bonus at the moment, so either they're just ahead of the curve or it's exclusive to them?

Carphone warehouse are doing the free VR with it on all the networks they sell I think, annoyingly I'm on three who carphone don't sell and don't seem to be doing the free VR

Wiseblood

Disappointed they're still using micro USB, though I guess they had to so they would be compatible with the GearVR headsets.

Paganmoon

No USB Type-C charging port? Sort of an oversight...
Disappointed they're still using micro USB, though I guess they had to so they would be compatible with the GearVR headsets.

Just throw in a small adapter if that's what's stopping them from adopting Type-C

neeksleep

My advice to those who preorder, buy off contract. I got pretty tired of doing the whole ATT Next and buying it on this weird lease. I bought a Nexus 6p and am done with contracts. If I did not upgrade to the 6p id get the S7 Edge and wouldnt have any problems paying the $800 or so for the phone.

Buying it on a contract is never really a good idea but I understand 'why' people do it. Sometimes it's not so easy to give up $800+ on the spot. At the same time, when I worked for a wireless provider, I always wanted to ask "if you aren't willing to shell out $800 now as opposed to an additional sometimes >$200, are you sure you should even get a high end phone anyways?'. The unfortunate part is that most people aren't thinking so long term.

Wow, there's been practically no buzz for this phone. That being said, with the Canadian market (lol) as is, I doubt many folk are interested in a new top end phone.

Anybody know if Best Buy will let you just but the phone upfront? I have T-Mobile and don't see it up for preorder.

Unless they changed their policy from last year, the answer is a resounding no.

Radec

No USB Type-C charging port? Sort of an oversight...

Just throw in a small adapter if that's what's stopping them from adopting Type-C

GearVR is what stopping them. And since they are pushing it, instead of updating the gear vr, they just used micro usb on the s7.

anddo0

Looks like I'll be leaving the Sony camp. I have my Z4 Tablet for remote play anyway.

The water cooling, the new GPU tech, game launcher.. This is a huge step forward for mobile gamers.

I'm due for a jump, so I'm eyeing the Edge.. I really wanted the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. But, Sammy seems to be bringing more than just a RAM upgrade and slight boost in processing.

wildfire

Banned
After doing some research I don't need to wait for the iPhone. Samsung pay is just as good as the Apple version. I don't need to wait to see if Apple implements multi window for their phone.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It really looks like they mashed the S5 and S6 together which isn't bad unless you already upgraded with last year's or this year's tech.

I already have an S5 (only 2 months old) so aside from taking not-so-hot night pics, I'm good feature-wise since they didn't bring over the S5's removable battery.

Speaking of battery, have they even said whether Marshmellow will address the stupid battery drain bug? It's annoying on my S5 on KitKat, and I haven't been hearing good things about Lollipop either. Hope it fixes that bug for the S5, as I'm holding out for news in that before I do a factory reset whuch supposedly helps against this bug.

Paganmoon

It's already a tight fit for the bigger phones to fit in the VR. An adapter would make it too long, even if it's a tiny adapter.

Looking at some pictures, yeah, you're right, it's a tight fit. Will make me sad if this in some way prevents full adoption of Type-C for smartphones in general though.

Smokey

Rubbish. I actually prefer their software to vanilla Android and other variants. Stuff like split screen multitasking, beauty mode, direct call etc are really useful. The phone is also lightning quick. The only issue is sometimes the reload of apps after switching between multiple other apps, but it rarely happens and is basically a non issue. The fact that no other mobile offers true split screen multitasking the way Touchwiz does still surprises me.

The biggest drawback of the S6 for me is it's battery life, and the S7 looks to ube rectifying that.

I guess.

I had tons of what appeared to be memory leak type problems with mine. Doing a Google search at the time showed others were having the same issue. It also got hot. Maybe I could have exchanged but then I would have just got in the return cycle anyway.

Skittles

So if I walk into sprint and buy an S7 they give me a gear vr? Or do I go to their website or something? Can someone explain how that exactly works(unless we don't know yet)?

Looking at some pictures, yeah, you're right, it's a tight fit. Will make me sad if this in some way prevents full adoption of Type-C for smartphones in general though.

I think they just released the Gear VR too late in the S6 lifecycle to really change anything for the S7. They'll probably release a new VR for the S8. That way people won't be upset as it will have been out for a while by that time.

Is the dual edge even worth getting over the normal S7?

My friend bought the last edge and I was skeptical at first, but it's a really beautiful phone. I don't think he's ever used the edge component of it to do anything, or display separate into. It's just a really pretty looking phone, especially in person.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I hope OP updates the thread with pre-order links and deals like the bestbuy one. My finger is on that trigger.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
My friend bought the last edge and I was skeptical at first, but it's a really beautiful phone. I don't think he's ever used the edge component of it to do anything, or display separate into. It's just a really pretty looking phone, especially in person.

Pretty much this. I have an S6 Edge and I'd buy it again over the regular version, but the edges are useless in terms of functionality, their most useful function is cosmetic.

taybul

Pretty much this. I have an S6 Edge and I'd buy it again over the regular version, but the edges are useless in terms of functionality, their most useful function is cosmetic.

Good to hear, I have the normal S6 now and always regretted not getting the Edge. Looks like I'm getting the S7 Edge.

Quixzlizx

Yep.

I will not touch another Android device until the unified OS is implemented. I went back to Apple because I hated buying Android phones and always getting the shaft on new versions of Android.

The S7 looks very nice though. It looks like the best elements of the S5 and the best elements of the S6 are all included in one device. I'm more curious to see what the Note 6 ends up doing.

You could always just buy a Nexus phone.

longdi

Banned
Looks like I'll be leaving the Sony camp. I have my Z4 Tablet for remote play anyway.

The water cooling, the new GPU tech, game launcher.. This is a huge step forward for mobile gamers.

I'm due for a jump, so I'm eyeing the Edge.. I really wanted the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. But, Sammy seems to be bringing more than just a RAM upgrade and slight boost in processing.

Yes fuck Sony.

Z5 Premium is and will always be a lazy joke Sony pulled on their fans.

S7E will piss all over Z5P.

Anybody know if Best Buy will let you just but the phone upfront? I have T-Mobile and don't see it up for preorder.

Pre orders don't open up til tomorrow for all stores and carriers. I'll be dropping by t mobile before work tomorrow. I'd rather have a free year of Netflix and gear vr than an SD card and gear vr.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Buying it on a contract is never really a good idea but I understand 'why' people do it. Sometimes it's not so easy to give up $800+ on the spot. At the same time, when I worked for a wireless provider, I always wanted to ask "if you aren't willing to shell out $800 now as opposed to an additional sometimes >$200, are you sure you should even get a high end phone anyways?'. The unfortunate part is that most people aren't thinking so long term.

What's the big deal if I'm already going to paying Sprint every month either way?

PFD

The new edge looks insane. I'm due for a new phone from work, should I ask for the new Edge or wait for the iPhone 7? Can't decide!

I disagree... more Ram, significantly bigger battery, return of the Micro SD slot, and waterproof.

Half of those are just a return of things they took out, and the other two are expected improvements.

I think the G5 made a more impressive leap this year, tbh.

The new edge looks insane. I'm due for a new phone from work, should I ask for the new Edge or wait for the iPhone 7? Can't decide!

If you can't wait, get the Edge. If you can wait, compare what each offers once you can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom