• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

Oh of course. But I thought that was common knowledge. It`s just that you can`t use the SD card to expand internal storage as was expected by some.

Which really isn't that big of an issue. I can't imagine the lack of app managing if you need 30GB+ for app installations.

Futureman

Samsung should get rid of their logo like the China version.
BSriS36l.jpg

'Samsung' is too a long rectangle as a logo

definitely looks better. Why is the Chinese version like this? Does it say Samsung on the back?

Anustart

It could say dick butt up there and I wouldn't care. To each their own though. I never look in that area of my phone anyway.

theRizzle

I just installed a bunch of games and apps to the SD card of my S7 edge. What is this BS people are telling you?

How much of the app was actually moved to the SD card? You can do this on an S5 but it usually only moves a tiny percentage of the app. Most of it stays on the internal storage. I assume what it is moving is save games, user profiles and other "non-essential" data. For example, when I had the first episode of Tales From The Borderlands installed on my S5, it was 0.98gb. When I used the Application Manager to move it to the SD, less than 100mb was moved.

I'm curious if this behavior has changed at all for the newer phones. I can live with moving everything manually... as long as everything is actually being transferred to the SD card.

How much of the app was actually moved to the SD card? You can do this on an S5 but it usually only moves a tiny percentage of the app. Most of it stays on the internal storage. I assume what it is moving is save games, user profiles and other "non-essential" data. For example, when I had the first episode of Tales From The Borderlands installed on my S5, it was 0.98gb. When I used the Application Manager to move it to the SD, less than 100mb was moved.

I'm curious if this behavior has changed at all for the newer phones. I can live with moving everything manually... as long as everything is actually being transferred to the SD card.

depends on how the app is made.

Phinor

One company in Finland already sent S7/Edge + Gear VR orders yesterday and they started arriving to customers today. I wonder if Samsung is going to take issue with this considering they have specifically set release dates for pre-orders and proper release. In fact, it's weird that they had stock to deliver this early because others are saying they don't have any S7 phones in yet. Well other than individual phones to show to customers.

Well I didn't order from them but will be going from Note 2 to S7 Edge. One stupid (mobile related) purchase every three years so this is it. I could have used this money on VR or something but too late now.

TedNindo

So the bonding of the SD to internal, is it disabled on S7?

Yes. As far as I know. And I train retailers on the S7. I found out three days ago that it is in fact disabled. But I heard talks about enabling it already through an update somewhere in the future. But that is not a comfirmation. Might be speculation.

There are some risks involved by enabling it.

But honestly it's a really great phone and a really minor point imo. It's the best phone Samsung has made imo. It replaced my note 4 currently as my main phone and that speaks volumes because I loved that phone.

Impulsor

As per the space shown in the app manager, 100% of the app is being transfered.

Some T Mobile orders have already started shipping.

As a Verizon customer for better or worse, I probably will have to wait till the 11th to get mine in the mail.

DavidDesu

Just preordered my own S7 in black in the UK. Was going to get a deal through Carphone Warehouse but their ordering process inexplicably had issues with my address apparently not matching with my bank (utter bollocks). This happened TWICE.

As a result I looked into other options and saw the Samsung Upgrade Program. Really reasonable monthly payments and interest. It also offers the massive bonus of having the option, if offered, to upgrade to next years flagship phone. Once I source a good sim only deal it costs the same as my Carphone Warehouse deal was going to and cheaper than most deals are now these days (contract prices have sky rocketed in the past year or two!).

So I went through the process and it was surprisingly quick and painless and my order was accepted, so YES I'm in. Also free Gear VR! :D

I've been waiting for ages for the "perfect" phone and the S7 comes closer than anything else, and good timing as my current contract is up next month. I was considering waiting for the iPhone 7, but poor battery, poor storage increase prices, and the main deal breaker (after battery) is the apparent loss of the headphone jack which is imminent. Screw that, the S7 looks incredible. Best screen and camera, solid battery life, really nice size and ergonomics... Cannot wait to get this phone.

Edit: This reads like a paid for comment, I'm clearly too hyped for this haha!
Also wanted to say Carphone Warehouse lost business with whatever issue they have in their ordering process, I hope someone from there reads this!

GeCcO

Neo Member
I believe so, yes. IIRC, Samsung has a PRO lineup which is UHS-II and is supported by their phones. You can even see the branding on their official media pic for S7 with the SD card/dual-SIM slot.

EDIT: My bad. These are UHS-I cards.

EDIT 2: Some *potential* good news:

http://bgr.com/2016/02/22/best-galaxy-s7-lg-g5-microsd-cards/

https://www.sandisk.com/about/media...-card-featuring-worlds-fastest-transfer-speed

Too bad that SanDisk PR doesn't explicitly call out the S7/G5 as phones with UHS-II support. But this sounds promising.

Thank you, that does look promising. Hope there is some more info coming out soon.

I did some digging and looked at the specs for the SD820, and according to their spec sheet the SD820 only supports UHS-I. Havent been able to find much info about Exynos, seems like Samsung keeps the specs very basic on their websites.

OVVhbTRq.jpeg

Wreav

Banned
Yeah some XDA and reddit users have posted their shipping confirmations and have tracking numbers.

I'm hoping Verizon decides to be nice and ships it next week. I know that they won't.

Doesn't mean much. The moment a shipping label is created, these things are created. Doesn't mean the box is going out any sooner than the 9th, per se.

Doesn't mean much. The moment a shipping label is created, these things are created. Doesn't mean the box is going out any sooner than the 9th, per se.

Okay they all have arrival dates for March 1st. They are getting them Tuesday and many more TMobile orders are apparently shipping tomorrow.

Keep in mind this is if you ordered online and not in-store.

ParityBit

Does the online chat work the same as calling on the phone and asking questions/ordering? I do not feel like going to a store.

This might have been known, but Target put out an ad today saying that in addition to the gear vr, preorders get a $100 target gift card as well. Probably gonna go down on this!

Ninhead

Godspeed to any Sprint customers on a lease trying to get an upgrade early. On day 4 of this hellish nightmare. This company's customer service is the fucking shits.

€724 for the Edge in Europe...... Not sure if it's worth upgrading from my S6.... That being said it's one hell of a nice phone. Considering buying a Tab S2 as well, could be pricey month! (As an aside, those of you who have the Tab S2, is it worth it?)

Ixian

Girlfriend's phone is coming tomorrow but no word on mine yet (both T-Mobile). I have my case already though!

Played around with the phone for a bit on a trip to Best Buy yesterday; the auto-focus is crazy good and the device itself feels nice in the hand as well. I'd never held an S6 Edge before but had heard the complaints, tried holding a demo unit and it was like grabbing a knife by the blade.

Phinor

€724 for the Edge in Europe...... Not sure if it's worth upgrading from my S6.... That being said it's one hell of a nice phone. Considering buying a Tab S2 as well, could be pricey month! (As an aside, those of you who have the Tab S2, is it worth it?)

That's really cheap. It's 850€ in Finland. Of course there's probably not much point upgrading from S6 but just saying, that's a really cheap euro price for Edge.

That's really cheap. It's 850€ in Finland. Of course there's probably not much point upgrading from S6 but just saying, that's a really cheap euro price for Edge.

I just got that from Google, seems about right though to be honest, the S6 edge was about the same before they dropped the prices.

harSon

Banned
I think I'm going to go with an S7. Was leaning towards LG G5 prior to the announcement, but I'm not liking the direction it took.

BFIB

Just ordered the silver Edge 7 at TMo. Said I'd likely receive it this week.

They also said the pre-order instructions for the Gear VR and Netflix would be included.

About to order my edge, can't decide between black and silver!

Currently using an S5, haven't been keeping up with the edge stuff but I notice that most people seem to be going for it over the regular S7. What are the big reasons for this? Just better guts? I really love my S5, can I expect stuff on the S7 (probably edge) to just be better all around?

Dropped my S6 Edge in water while shaving yesterday morning. Haven't been able to boot it up after leaving it in rice for a day..... looks like the S7 Edge life will be for me. I'm just a bit bummed cause I dropped so much on the 128GB S6 Edge.

LowParry

I think I'm going to go with an S7. Was leaning towards LG G5 prior to the announcement, but I'm not liking the direction it took.

I'm in the same boat. I loved my S5 but the S6 had such a bad battery life. So went with the G4 in the mean time but would love to hop back into a S7 Edge. Might as well just make the Jump and do it. Free stuff with the pre order is always nice.

Sanjuro

Unconfirmed Member

Currently using an S5, haven't been keeping up with the edge stuff but I notice that most people seem to be going for it over the regular S7. What are the big reasons for this? Just better guts? I really love my S5, can I expect stuff on the S7 (probably edge) to just be better all around?
Bigger screen, bigger battery.

BFIB

For one, your talking a 2 year jump. In the phone world, that's a big difference w/ the 4 gigs of RAM and the Octa-Core processor.

As for the Edge features, that's going to be something that you need to determine if its worth the extra cost. For me, its not really the extra cost, but more for the extra screen real-estate, and the extra battery pack. I went Silver since I have had black phones going back to the iPhone 3G. Felt it was time for a change.

Bigger screen, bigger battery.

Bigger screen but the rounded edges seem to make the screen narrower. Doesn't that fuck up the screen ratio a bit? And doesn't the reflection caused by the edges disturb when watching a movie?

I just can't decide, I think the S7 looks very boring compared to the edge but I just think the screen will annoy me in the end.

JayDub

It did make it look narrower when I had the S6 Edge. The reflection was there but wasn't a huge issue but another point for the regular version. Ultimately, wished I went with the S6 for the bigger real estate.

In Australia and i just got an email from Telstra [my mobile provider] saying my S7 Edge has been shipped.

But knowing Telstra they fucked up and wont ship it for 2 weeks, so not going to get my hopes up until the courier buzzes my apartment.

ParityBit

I just called Verizon and go 2 S7 Edges to replace my LG G3 Phones. I can't wait!

I need accessories. Especially for the wife's phone .... (i.e. case)

Do people use screen protectors or do you go naked?

longdi

Banned
I preorder the edge mainly because of larger battery and screen. The curve edge makes images look distorted, a worthless gimmick imho. Furthermore, you will have problem attaching a glass screen protector and a much higher chance of cracking on drop impact.

Samsung gonna Samsung

ParityBit

I'm sure Best Buy is not giving me my phone early! Oh well. Get to spend my last remaining moments with my wonderful S5.

Been scouting out cases.

Diztronic has been the hands down best case I've owned for 3 phones running. Nothing on their site, but Amazon has a listing for one here.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BJ7SIR4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For sleek, Caseology has this Skyfall case here.

http://www.caseologycases.com/colle...products/skyfall-series-5?variant=10985232389

Oh those look really nice. You can pre-order both from Amazon. Either one better you think?

What about wireless chargers? How does that work? I have always just plugged mine in, but I want to change that.

Amagon

Is the S7 worth trading the V10 for it?

I really like to see what the Gear VR is all about which is a selling point for me to trade the V10.

Sanjuro

Oh those look really nice. You can pre-order both from Amazon. Either one better you think?

What about wireless chargers? How does that work? I have always just plugged mine in, but I want to change that.

Diztronic makes the BEST TPU cases. This one with the clear back is a departure for them...somewhat.

The Caseology looks better aesthetically. Who knows on the build though.

Is the S7 worth trading the V10 for it?

I really like to see what the Gear VR is all about which is a selling point for me to trade the V10.

If you are buying phones that often your basically looking for excuses to burn your money. Sure it's worth it. Your emails will open .005 of a second faster. And the VR headset totally isn't a derp version of the real deal coming out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom