• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsunamo

I watched the Q&A not too long ago. Great to hear Gendy seems really keen on doing more series for Adult Swim and taking animation to the next level by getting more creative.

Gonna be really nice to have him back doing new cartoons again. Hopefully he gets the chance to finish up Sym Bionic Titan too (it could be wrapped up in another season i'd say)

cntr

Banned
Sym-Bionic Titan was a write-off, so I don't think they can bring that back without getting into legal trouble.

Nudull

Banned
I watched the Q&A not too long ago. Great to hear Gendy seems really keen on doing more series for Adult Swim and taking animation to the next level by getting more creative.

Gonna be really nice to have him back doing new cartoons again. Hopefully he gets the chance to finish up Sym Bionic Titan too (it could be wrapped up in another season i'd say)

Got written off for tax purposes, so it'll be difficult to do (not impossible, IIRC). 100% won't be on TV, though.

cntr

Banned
I think if Genndy wants to redo Sym-Bionic Titan, he'll do it via a spiritual sequel. Though whatever happens, I think he'd opt for trying something brand new first.

Really glad i'm rewatching all episodes! I realised i missed a lot back then...

just watched episode 30 (season 3 episode 4), the fight choregraphy in this one was amazing!

Laieon

Should I go back and rewatch Seasons 1-4? I don't remember that much about them and kind of forgot S5 was happening.

cntr

Banned
Should I go back and rewatch Seasons 1-4? I don't remember that much about them and kind of forgot S5 was happening.
All you really need to watch are the first three episodes and the Scotsman episodes. Maybe also the Guardian episode.

Watch all of it either way, though!

cntr

Banned
Holy crap, I just realized.

When Jack sees the smoke in this distance, he's not driving towards it, he's driving away from it.

Nikodemos

The world isn't ready for M-rated booty quaking.

You know what the world really isn't ready for?

M-rated Courage, The Cowardly Dog.

Holy crap, I just realized.

When Jack sees the smoke in this distance, he's not driving towards it, he's driving away from it.

Yeah, that was a "when you see it, you'll..." moment. I initially was confused as to where the smoke was positioned compared to him. Then it hit me....

Xe4

Banned
What if Aku or someone defeated the Guardian and destroyed the portal?

There's no way. Jack can defeat the Aku and every bounty hunter sent against him (except the Imakandi, and that was pretty close), but the Guardian fucking smashed Jack (literally a couple times). If there's a being that can defeat the Guardian, Jack should be very worried.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I thought it was episode 92 because the comics we're cannon? That may have changed since Cartoon Network brought the series back.

This and BotW makes this the best week ever for me.

Blues1990

I thought it was episode 92 because the comics we're cannon? That may have changed since Cartoon Network brought the series back.

This and BotW makes this the best week ever for me.

Didn't one of the flashback sequences referenced this cover from the BOOM! comic book series?

5067792ffbeec78c433f23ba0b3b9b46.jpg

KingK

This really feels like it could have come out a year after season 4. Hasn't lost a beat. Samurai Jack was always my favorite cartoon network show when I was younger.

The episode was fantastic but I want more now! It's been about 3 or 4 years since I watched the series, so I might do a rewatch.

cntr

Banned
There's no way. Jack can defeat the Aku and every bounty hunter sent against him (except the Imakandi, and that was pretty close), but the Guardian fucking smashed Jack (literally a couple times). If there's a being that can defeat the Guardian, Jack should be very worried.
I'unno man, Aku's the series final boss. If he's gotten stronger over the years, he might actually be able to defeat the Guardian.

TheFlow

Banned

watch the 3 parter, origin of evil, scotmans episodes, the guardian,

nvm just watch it all. you got plenty of time to catch uip

Didn't one of the flashback sequences referenced this cover from the BOOM! comic book series?

5067792ffbeec78c433f23ba0b3b9b46.jpg
fun fact the whole comic book series is indeed canon. also it is a pretty great.

Gorillaz

Didn't gennedy say they comics aren't cannon anymore? He originally ended the series in the comics
Off the top my head the only real big ones

First 3 episodes
All Scotsman episodes
Time portal Guardian episode
Birth of evil special
Aku vs jack in the graveyard (episode 30)

Graveyard fight is still my favorite episode in the series. Animation and music was on all cylinders

Blues1990

fun fact the whole comic book series is indeed canon. also it is a pretty great.

Ah, so stuff like Jack and the Scotsman having a gender-bending curse by evil leprechaun's (and, quite honestly, if the Scotsman had a daughter that was taken after him, then that's what she would look/act like), the Rope of Eons, & even the one-off 'Mako the Scribe' is cannon and is the gap between Season 4 & Season 5? If so, cool!

Nikodemos

First 3 episodes
All Scotsman episodes
Time portal Guardian episode
Birth of evil special
Aku vs jack in the graveyard (episode 30)
Jack vs The Lava Monster
The Aku Infection
Jack vs Mondo-Bot
Jack and the Haunted House
Samurai vs Shinobi
Jack and the Bounty Hunters
Four Seasons of Death
Jack and the Flying Prince and Princess (dat closing shot)

Y'know what, watch them all.

TheFlow

Banned
Ah, so stuff like Jack and the Scotsman having a gender-bending curse by evil leprechaun's (and, quite honestly, if the Scotsman had a daughter that was taken after him, then that's what she would look/act like), the Rope of Eons, & even the one-off 'Mako the Scribe' is cannon and is the gap between Season 4 & Season 5? If so, cool!

fuck nvm they are not canon just read it up on it. :/.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Well that was straight up amazing. Like, way better than I ever though it could be. jack vs that assassin was probably one of my favorite fights in the series for a lot of reasons, but I think the big thing I love about this season is Jack using guns. In a straight up reboot, they would have Jack use guns and I'd despise it because it be them trying too hard to be cool and missing the heart of Samurai Jack, but here, Jack using guns is amazing because it shows after all these long years Jack has honestly stopped giving a fuck.

Also him and his crazy. Really digging Crazy Jack.

Also, who wants to bet on Aku
being either super dead or super old? Obviously there is something up with Aku if we haven't seen him in the previews, or even episodes, and I'm betting that Aku might now be aging while Jack's time has stopped.

Nikodemos

One of the commenters in the AV article makes a good point: without his sword, Jack is unable to do anything about Aku. He can fight his minions and slowly erode his authority in the distant provinces of his empire, but can't go directly after him. He also can't go back to the past without the sword, since he'd not be able to kill Aku then either. Until he gets the sword back, he's trapped and basically useless.
This has to weigh heavily on Jack's mind.

Harpoon

Well that was straight up amazing. Like, way better than I ever though it could be. jack vs that assassin was probably one of my favorite fights in the series for a lot of reasons, but I think the big thing I love about this season is Jack using guns. In a straight up reboot, they would have Jack use guns and I'd despise it because it be them trying too hard to be cool and missing the heart of Samurai Jack, but here, Jack using guns is amazing because it shows after all these long years Jack has honestly stopped giving a fuck.

Also him and his crazy. Really digging Crazy Jack.

Also, who wants to bet on Aku
being either super dead or super old? Obviously there is something up with Aku if we haven't seen him in the previews, or even episodes, and I'm betting that Aku might now be aging while Jack's time has stopped.

Regarding Aku, from interviews with Genndy and those who have seen the first two or three episodes:

He's just depressed about Jack still being alive after 50 years of trying to kill him, and is staying holed up in his citadel.

The fact that Aku isn't personally going to kill Jack now that Jack effectively can't hurt him makes me think Aku has been weakened somehow, or there's another force hunting him. Perhaps that horned rider is trying to kill both Jack and Aku for messing with time.

Gorillaz

The fact that Aku isn't personally going to kill Jack now that Jack effectively can't hurt him makes me think Aku has been weakened somehow, or there's another force hunting him. Perhaps that horned rider is trying to kill both Jack and Aku for messing with time.

I think Aku just simply gave up when jack did. He's under the radar now and still alive after 50 years. There is nothing driving Aku anymore he's bored.

zeemumu

Or he doesn't know he lost the sword. Doesn't seem to be common knowledge based on how the Scatssassin reacted.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if they'll bring up the idea that if Jack goes back in time, pretty much everybody he's met in the future's going to be erased? I kinda feel like they might.

B33

Banned
Why doesn't Jack age again?

I don't believe this was explicitly explained in the first episode but perhaps it will be by the end of the season.

Edit: A theory (per Bronx-Man) is that it's a side effect of the time travel portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom