• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

So we had to have done a timeskip to show the Daughters of Aku's training. How long do you think it was? Do you think they were a contingency plan that Aku put into motion ahead of time in case things were going poorly like the Demon Hunters are for Illidan in WoW?

Nudull

Banned
So we had to have done a timeskip to show the Daughters of Aku's training. How long do you think it was? Do you think they were a contingency plan that Aku put into motion ahead of time in case things were going poorly like the Demon Hunters are for Illidan in WoW?

If they are Aku's kids, one wonders if that plan was entirely consensual or not.

It sounds like Aku doesn't even know about them.

Xe4

Banned
Is the episode on the CN site?
It's currently on loop here: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/samurai-jack

TBH, I don't know if Aku even planned this. I honestly think he kind of went AWOL, given them saying stuff like "you will honor us with your presence again". I guess we'll see.

zeemumu

If they are Aku's kids, one wonders if that plan was entirely consensual or not.

Seems like it was a cult thing. The Mistress and the daughters don't seem to have any direct contact with Aku (and it's been established in both the old seasons and this new episode that Aku has a phone number so it's not like he's hard to reach), so maybe they were a side thing of crazy worshippers that he put into motion as one of many contingency plans to put up against Jack if his main ones failed.

But that still leaves the question of who the Horseman is...

It seems like some kind of cult that provides Any warriors. The more interesting thing to me is Ali's status. The Daughters seem to think he's MIA, and the assassin just seemed to call him up no problem.

Also, people that are asking about the sword need to rewatch the first episode of the series ;p
"The speed is just a tool" as the Emperor said. So it'll either be the whole "Jack is the weapon Of righteousness", he gets it back, or, since the episode is still fresh in my mind, the 3 monks that forged the sword from the Emperor's story make him a new one.

JSevere

first episode was awesome. visuals, action, and humor are all on point, and the credits/outro with the original theme hit my nostalgia button just right. can't wait to see how they conclude Jack's story

Oh fuck Jack's gonna freak out. One of the 7 is definitely going to die. But will Jack have to murder for his chance to save the past?

They sort of built up the one daughter (the one that ran to the sunlight, had to rescue herself, and was the only one this far with a name) so it could be her, or she'll be the one to heel turn.

Xe4

Banned
They sort of built up the one daughter (the one that ran to the sunlight, had to rescue herself, and was the only one this far with a name) so it could be her, or she'll be the one to heel turn.

I think they gave her a bit too much attention to have her die. Would be interesting either way though. I'm thinking she's going to be a heel turn, but that's just going off of what I know about plot direction and stuff.

I wonder if any death in this show will ever hit me harder than X9's did.
You know it's going to be Jack next...
I was only joking please don't kill Jack, he deserves more. Also yeah that was an amazing character and episode.

On a more serious note, do you think they'll kill off any established characters?

cntr

Banned
I think they bothered to give her some character so that when she dies, it's slightly more significant than just killing a nameless mook.

This was such a perfect way to come back to the series upped ever from the original including the visuals, cinematography, scale, sound and overall cinematic feel. Felt like the show never got cancelled.

I think they gave her a bit too much attention to have her die. Would be interesting either way though. I'm thinking she's going to be a heel turn, but that's just going off of what I know about plot direction and stuff.
Yup definitely a heel turn. My prediction:
Jack's probably going to be alone for the rest of the series, so she might become wounded but still track him as she needs to complete the mission. She'll figure out that he is not who her mother says she is. But I wonder if her sisters will be safe or die? Would PunishedJack really kill them? The season trailer makes me thing he'll do some dark ass stuff but he always resisted becoming inhuman to fulfill his goals...

I think they'll kill the Scotsman

I'd like to see The Samurai return as a fully realized samurai

Same.

And yeah, I definitely think that Ashi could be the Daughter of Aku that Jack's going to end up killing- and I feel pretty confident that he is going to kill one of them before this season is over- but it's just as plausible that Ashi eventually has a heel turn too.

In fact, it might be that Jack kills one of Ashi's sisters and Ashi's arc in the episodes to come will be coming to terms with that and also whether or not she'll choose to turn against Aku and her mother.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
My theory for the next episode:I
expect Jack kills all the girls but Ashi and loses it and she, despite knowing Jack isn't what her mother said still goes after him because he took out her siblings.

My theory for the next episode:I
expect Jack kills all the girls but Ashi and loses it and she, despite knowing Jack isn't what her mother said still goes after him because he took out her siblings.
You might be right.
The trailer for the season made it seem like he was going to kill them regardless of their human status.

zeemumu

You have to wonder if it's even gonna register
that he killed a human or if he's gonna write it off as a vision.

You might be right.
The trailer for the season made it seem like he was going to kill them regardless of their human status.

Jack has murdered robots and the like, but living creatures give him pause. Hell, I don't think he's killed a human before. With his mental health already as low as it is, I expect him to lose it even more.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I admittedly missed the giant replay of the 1st 4 seasons, but I vaguely recall
Jack losing his sword in the past, no? At least for most of an episode or two

Obviously, we'll see what happened with the one scene at a later date, but I find this kind of interesting....

Also, IIRC his current armor is pretty similar to the one the
Guardian of the Time Portal sees him in when the latter has the vision of Jack in the future

Anyways, super-hype. Gonna have to find a friend with Cable to check out the rest of the season.

Jack has murdered robots and the like, but living creatures give him pause. Hell, I don't think he's killed a human before. With his mental health already as low as it is, I expect him to lose it even more.
True and we don't know exactly what happened between this new PunishedJack and the old honorable Jack. All the PTSD comes from the fact he couldn't save people of the past. Perhaps this season he will accept blood on his hands in return for defeating Aku, tho that might not flow with the overall theme of SJ.

It's always darkest before dawn.

Edit: Also I think it is confirmed that Jack will:
Kill a human
According to IGN.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Amazing return, you can tell the passion and effort they put in and understanding of what made Samurai Jack good. Extremely excited for the rest of the season.

Though I am amused by how much of a toneshift the last episode to Season 4 to the first episode of Season 5 is. Going from the baby episode to this in a marathon will probably quite be something.

I'm also curious if they hope to make more episodes. As others have noted, an interesting creative choice is in the credits the episode number is 42 episodes ahead of the Season 4 finale. Obviously part of this is the timeskip, but it feels like they left it open so even if this is the 'final' season, they can go back and make up to 42 additional episodes if they want to as a middle arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom