• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Kroenke is pissed, he doesn't want to share L.A.

Wouldn't surprise me if that cheap bastard Spanish is trying to extract money from Silent Stan to keep the Chargers out of LA. I figured that some backroom dealing was going to happen where Kroenke helped pay for the Chargers new stadium in San Diego and the owners agreed to let the Raiders move to Vegas. If this is really happening Spanos will regret it as soon as he sees how bad his share of the revenue will be. Stan is going to charge an arm and a leg to lease Kroenkeworld and Spanos will see jack shit in terms of revenue outside of their "home" games.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Goodell's punk ass is loving this, means the second biggest market gets two teams. He's been wanting this for a long time.

Eh, I don't think the first LA team has made much of an impact yet. With two, I think they'll end up cannibalizing each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell is upset about this move.

Also, one of the hilarious subplots to this whole story.

Philip Rivers is a very conservative dude and has at times said how he was disgusted with the idea of moving to LA and there was no way in hell he'd make the jump with the team if they did. He softened on that when the team offered him a nice extension and talked about how he'd be with the team for the rest of his career wherever they were, but that was always with the idea that LA was some vague possibility in the future.

I really wonder if he tries to get away from the Chargers now that the LA move is concrete and a certainty.

Interestingly both teams have origins in LA. The Charger's inaugural year was in LA, before moving to SD the following season. The Rams, originated in LA and were for much longer than the Chargers, before moving for STL. Now both will be back.

Philip Rivers is a very conservative dude and has at times said how he was disgusted with the idea of moving to LA and there was no way in hell he'd make the jump with the team if they did. He softened on that when the team offered him a nice extension and talked about how he'd be with the team for the rest of his career wherever they were, but that was always with the idea that LA was some vague possibility in the future.

I really wonder if he tries to get away from the Chargers now that the LA move is concrete and a certainty.

I'm sure there are plenty of other players that would gladly take a fraction of what he's paid (which would still be a lot of money) for the opportunity to be the QB.

It's not even his conservative nature as it is, I'm sure, his baseball team + bench full of kids.

Two teams in LA was always in the cards. The terms of the deal last year that allowed the Rams to move was that the Chargers had a year to work something out and become the second tenant and, if not, then the option would go to the Raiders.

If Spanos wanted to stay in San Diego so bad, here's a thought: build your own stadium. For a league that's so big and popular, it sure is a statistical oddity that apparently no one can profit without the taxpayers footing the bill.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Now LA will have two teams they don't care about!
Pretty much. This is going to end up being a stupid move. The Rams' ratings have already cratered in LA compared to St. Louis. Now they'll both be cannibalizing each other and it'll likely get even worse. Doesn't LA already hate the Chargers anyway?

n0razi

They should pick the best players from the Chargers/Rams and combine into one team that might be able to go to playoffs

Sorry Charger's fans :( I know the pain

On the other hand ahahaha hahahahahahahaha LA sucks

Goodell's punk ass is loving this, means the second biggest market gets two teams. He's been wanting this for a long time.

Yep, unfortunately both teams are going to come 3rd and 4th in ratings and have bad attendance until they become good again. The Raiders are the only team that should have moved.

Dishwalla

Banned
Interestingly both teams have origins in LA. The Charger's inaugural year was in LA, before moving to SD the following season. The Rams, originated in LA and were for much longer than the Chargers, before moving for STL. Now both will be back.

I'm sure there are plenty of other players that would gladly take a fraction of what he's paid (which would still be a lot of money) for the opportunity to be the QB.

Rams actually originated in Cleveland.

Faddy

Banned
Will that be before or after the Rams do the same, again?

The Rams won't move again. Kroenke is personally building the stadium so it doesn't make sense to have his NFL team play elsewhere or he would be pissing the better part of $2B up the wall.

The Rams support will get better. The Colosseum is a terrible venue and fans don't want to sit out in the scorching sun or wait an hour for a bottle of water to watch a mediocre team. Once the new stadium is built a lot of the current problems will go away.

LA can have the Buffalo Bills

85swriP.gif

As a SoCal resident, I'll go to a Chargers game over a Rams game easily. I watched a lot of Rams game this year because I'm a masochist, but they're a boring ass team that I would never pay money to see in person. At least the Bad News Chargers can be occasionally feisty.

JABEE

They wouldn't be as good as Phillip Rivers in any way.

There are not that many good QBs in the NFL and I consider Rivers a step above that.

You aren't replacing Rivers so easily.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They'll still be my team, and I hope a lot of people in San Diego will remain loyal.

Yeah, fuck that noise. Where's their loyalty?

Fitts

This makes it inevitable you move to Vegas tho.

Which would mean that I would finally get to attend a home game. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they stay put for history's sake, but I was never making my way to Oakland and doubt I'll ever go back to LA.

I live in NY, FYI.

My gut feeling is that the Chargers in Los Angeles will not work out in the long-term.

In terms of fan support in Los Angeles, I'd imagine that they're behind both the Rams and Raiders by a considerable margin.

They'll be the Clippers to the Rams' Lakers, but the gap may be even greater between the two in this particular case.
The base line is much lower. People like the Rams but the fan support isn't even close to that of the Lakers. This seems like a huge mistake.

hokahey

The Rams support will get better. The Colosseum is a terrible venue and fans don't want to sit out in the scorching sun or wait an hour for a bottle of water to watch a mediocre team. Once the new stadium is built a lot of the current problems will go away.

Excuses. The NFL has a long history of fleeting glory in L.A. sandwiched between empty stadiums and inept franchises. Kroenke is a dog shit owner. The team will never be special under him, and no one will be able to afford to see their shit team in the new stadium.

Damn it! The wife and I have a 5 yr plan to move to San Diego. Would have liked an NFL team in my city. Oh well I'll continue to root for the Patriots I guess.

DiscoJer

Bah. I live in St. Louis, but my mother (and her family) are from San Diego, so I was also a Chargers fan, because my aunt is. Literally only TV she ever watched was Chargers games.

Faddy

Banned
Excuses. The NFL has a long history of fleeting glory in L.A. sandwiched between empty stadiums and inept franchises. Kroenke is a dog shit owner. The team will never be special under him, and no one will be able to afford to see their shit team in the new stadium.

Teams never left LA because of poor financials, they left because there was no public money for a stadium.

I think you overestimate the importance of the owner in how the team performs. The Saints won a Superbowl with Tom Benson as owner.

mreddie

Yep, unfortunately both teams are going to come 3rd and 4th in ratings and have bad attendance until they become good again. The Raiders are the only team that should have moved.

I feel bad for Oakland still, they are just getting good and the Vegas deal looms above them, at least they know Davis isn't a punk like Art.

FStubbs

I always thought the deal in LA was that it's not enough to even just win - you had to have a celebrity player on your team. Like Bo Jackson when the Raiders had their pit stop in LA. Or Eric Dickerson or the Fearsome Foursome on the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom