• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, nobody here in LA wants them or the Rams.

This isn't our fault. We liked our NFL setup. 3 Sunday day games, always the best 3 available games.

Now we will have weeks of 2 shitty games.

Ratings are down because no one in LA is watching. I've watched HALF the NFL I usually watch this past season.

Next season that will drop further. More chances to hike, at least.

mreddie

For the record, nobody here in LA wants them or the Rams.

This isn't our fault. We liked our NFL setup. 3 Sunday day games, always the best 3 available games.

Now we will have weeks of 2 shitty games.

Ratings are down because no one in LA is watching. I've watched HALF the NFL I usually watch this past season.

Next season that will drop further. More chances to hike, at least.

Oh yeah, that sucks even more. You would get 2 big games or regional action to whoever is good in the state.

Now it's Chargers and Rams. Joy.

Mister Wolf

The Chargers were a Los Angeles team before they went to San Diego. Welcome home Chargers. Trade Rivers immediately and take the best QB in the draft.

RBH

What will happen to current season-ticket holders?

The Chargers have not started selling tickets for the upcoming season; the team usually begins sending out renewal notices at the end of January. Tickets for the team’s home games in Los Angeles will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Similar to the Rams, the Chargers will likely give fans who bought tickets at the team’s temporary venue priority once the new stadium in Inglewood is built.

Will the Chargers rebrand or change their name?

Spanos is said to be open to the possibility of rebranding and changing the team’s name. However, the team applied to trademark “Los Angeles Chargers” early last year. NFL rules allow teams to change uniforms only once in a five-year period. The last time the Chargers made any changes to their uniforms was in 2012. So the team will remain the Chargers for at least the 2017 season.

Where will they practice?

The team’s lease at Chargers Park runs until July 1, so the Chargers intend to conduct offseason training, organized team activities and mandatory minicamp at Chargers Park, with the hope that the team’s new temporary facility in Costa Mesa is up and running by the time training camp begins at the end of July.

Where will the Chargers play their games?

The Chargers are considering two locations -- the L.A. Coliseum, where the Rams currently play, and the StubHub Center in Carson -- for their home games until the new Inglewood stadium opens in 2019. The Coliseum seats nearly 100,000, while the StubHub Center would provide a more intimate setting of 27,000 and is about a half-hour closer for fans driving from San Diego.

What happens to the team’s lease at Qualcomm Stadium?

The Chargers have a four-month window that begins Feb. 1 and ends May 1 to opt out of the team’s lease at Qualcomm Stadium. That lease runs through 2020 and will require a roughly $12 million payment for the buyout, freeing the Chargers to play in Los Angeles next season.

What’s the agreement between the Chargers and Rams on the Inglewood stadium project?

The Chargers have a tenant-lease agreement with the Rams that lowers the team’s risk because it would not have to borrow money for construction of the $2.6 billion project. The Rams and Chargers would jointly share revenue on aspects such as naming rights, suites, sponsors and advertising. The teams would be on their own to sell season tickets and personal seat licenses. The Chargers and Rams would separately sell personal seat licenses, projected to raise $700 to $800 million, which would go toward construction costs for the new facility.

Will the move affect the Chargers' coaching search?

John Spanos, president of football operations, will make the final decision on the 16th head coach in franchise history. Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said qualities he wants in new head coach are a good communicator, teacher, motivator and leader. And while the team might want to make a big splash in Los Angeles, in all honesty the Chargers likely have two more years if things do not go well to make an even bigger splash at head coach once the new stadium in Inglewood opens in 2019.
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-...argers-prepare-for-a-new-start-in-los-angeles

Should have gone to San Antonio. The city said they'd fucking build a stadium for the NFL team that comes there. What a lost opportunity.

And Texas deserves 3 football teams on account of it producing over a third of the most talented football players in college and the pros. The market exists and will beloved. Look at how SA embraced the Spurs.

Does anyone find it funny that all the teams that have already moved to LA, might move to LA or have been rumoured to move to LA have all been teams that for one reason or another had previously already been in LA and moved elsewhere (most if not all to the places they are now looking to move to LA from)

Does anyone find it funny that all the teams that have already moved to LA, might move to LA or have been rumoured to move to LA have all been teams that for one reason or another had previously already been in LA and moved elsewhere (usually do the places they are not looking to move from)

They already have mind share so they can immediately sell merch there without much hassle.

jblank83

The Spanos family has been trying to strong-arm San Diego into a shitty deal for decades. First they wanted hundreds of acres of prime retail real estate in one of the best shopping areas of San Diego basically for free with the vague promise that it would create jobs. Their recent proposal wanted to impose an 8% tourism tax as well as control of the convention center in downtown while investing minimal amounts of their own money. That's to say nothing of how little the Chargers have engaged the community since control passed from Alex, the elder Spanos, to his son, Dean. Before that they were always doing community service and activities for kids.

One of my earliest memories was a San Diego Chargers game. I've been pulling for them every year since then. My father did the same from their very first game in San Diego, way way back when. But none of that matters when you need to squeeze out a few extra million a year for bragging rights at the rich kids table.

Congratz, Dean Spanos, you putz.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Should have gone to San Antonio. The city said they'd fucking build a stadium for the NFL team that comes there. What a lost opportunity.

And Texas deserves 3 football teams on account of it producing over a third of the most talented football players in college and the pros. The market exists and will beloved. Look at how SA embraced the Spurs.
Jerry Jones would never let a third NFL team into Texas.

Meanwhile, NBA fans are still waiting for the return of the Seattle Supersonics
DavidSternDrownWater.gif

FStubbs

Jerry Jones would never let a third NFL team into Texas.

If Jack Kent Cooke couldn't keep the Ravens from happening, anything in Texas can happen. Heck, the Ravens' stadium and training facilities are closer to the Redskins' stadium than the Redskins' training facility is. Redskins/Ravens don't get the credit for being a 2 team market like a lot of others do.

Well this sucks I've been a chargers fan since I was a kid and now their leaving our city. Fuck it im done with football. Im getting rid of all my Chargers stuff :(

hokahey

That article is horseshit though:

10.2% in LA means over 500,000 people watching the Rams game here
vs
10.6% in St Louis which is like 120,000 people watching.

Guess which one is worth more?

You're missing the point. Those are still dogshit ratings for L.A. and still indicative of the fact that the team was not welcomed back in the way it was expected.

MikeRahl

Not sure what I am going to do.

Chargers fan since I got into the NFL 15 years ago in the middle of Canada. Started with Tomlinson and kept going ever since.

I went to the game they played in Minnesota last year so maybe I could switch to them for proximity purposes but that just seems like more suffering.

hokahey

Well this sucks I've been a chargers fan since I was a kid and now their leaving our city. Fuck it im done with football. Im getting rid of all my Chargers stuff :(

Get ready to see your local thrift stores overloaded with Chargers shit. Same thing happened in STL. I donated thousands of dollars in Rams stuff. Fuck em.

ryseing

Christ. Their home until Inglewood is built might be the StubHub Center.

StubHub is a 27,000 seat soccer stadium.

What a shitshow.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
You're missing the point. Those are still dogshit ratings for L.A. and still indicative of the fact that the team was not welcomed back in the way it was expected.

no, I'm not. The point is even if people as a whole in LA are less engaged, there's way way way more people and way way way more TV sets.

The Rams can be god awful, terrible, fire the coach, and still have 3x the TV viewers in their local market.

That's a WINDFALL.

And the Rams were welcomed back, the city was so excited. Then they sucked, and USC got really good. LA don't got time for shitty football teams. We are fair weather because we always have fair weather.

superfriar19

Neo Member
Fuck this. I'm not believing it until it's official. It makes no sense. It's not in the best interests of the NFL. It's only in the best interest of the Spanos family.

Fuck. I need a hug.

And some beer.

Mortemis

Banned
Not sure what I am going to do.

Chargers fan since I got into the NFL 15 years ago in the middle of Canada. Started with Tomlinson and kept going ever since.

I went to the game they played in Minnesota last year so maybe I could switch to them for proximity purposes but that just seems like more suffering.

I'm kinda confused. Not tryna be hostile or anything, but you became a chargers fan while not living in San Diego. How does this move make you not be a fan?

Fuck this. I'm not believing it until it's official. It makes no sense. It's not in the best interests of the NFL. It's only in the best interest of the Spanos family.

Fuck. I need a hug.

And some beer.

:( I feel really bad for all of you chargers fans, this shit is the worst. I wish I could say you'll be good in a while, but if you're anything like me you'll be angered and saddened by this even 8 years later.

Bsigg12

Christ. Their home until Inglewood is built might be the StubHub Center.

StubHub is a 27,000 seat soccer stadium.

What a shitshow.

It would be like going to Texas highschool game.

I would go just for the experience of seeing an NFL with a capacity of 27k. I can't possibly see the NFL allowing them to make that their home stadium though especially if the Coliseum is willing to host them and the Rams and somehow keep the field in decent shape for USC on Saturdays.

hokahey

no, I'm not. The point is even if people as a whole in LA are less engaged, there's way way way more people and way way way more TV sets.

The Rams can be god awful, terrible, fire the coach, and still have 3x the TV viewers in their local market.

That's a WINDFALL.

And the Rams were welcomed back, the city was so excited. Then they sucked, and USC got really good. LA don't got time for shitty football teams. We are fair weather because we always have fair weather.

Nope. Still missing the point. Fewer people are now watching the NFL on TV in L.A. AND St. Louis because the Rams are such a shit franchise. And being fairweather is nothing to brag about. It just cements your rep as poor sports fans. Oh well. Bad teams deserve bad fans.

linkboy

Interestingly both teams have origins in LA. The Charger's inaugural year was in LA, before moving to SD the following season. The Rams, originated in LA and were for much longer than the Chargers, before moving for STL. Now both will be back.

The Ram's didn't originate in L.A., they originated in Cleveland.

As for the Chargers, it sucks that they're moving, and I feel for the fans. This is going to be a disaster of epic proportions, for both the Rams and Chargers.

Going to Charger games in the early 2000s was some of the best fun that's ever been had in the league. Unparalleled tailgating, LT, it was pure energy throughout the whole city. "Show me your lightning bolts San Diego!"

What a shitshow. What a sad, sad show of shit.

Dishwalla

Banned
Raiders still going to vegas?

More than likely. Raiders had a presentation about moving to Vegas in front of the owners of the rest of league's teams today, and most of them were reportedly impressed. Last word was that they will have a vote on it in March.

Interestingly both teams have origins in LA. The Charger's inaugural year was in LA, before moving to SD the following season. The Rams, originated in LA and were for much longer than the Chargers, before moving for STL. Now both will be back.

And the other team that was rumoured to move there, the Raiders, were in LA until 94 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom