• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
So any Gaf meet-ups planned? I'm working security at the con this year at the Hilton press events and would not mind seeing a few fellow Gafers after.

Jamie OD

This always looks like something I would love to go see but would then be worried if I would actually enjoy the experience. The thought of getting caught up and stuck in large crowds while in the middle of the summer in San Diego does not sound pleasant.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
For the return of Beavis & Butt-head, they should, in the first episode, say "hey, we're back, America!" and do nothing but riff on Lady Gaga videos.

Their reactions to the Telephone video would be nothing short of epic.

Luthair

284845_10150244270463111_700513110_7482297_1997383_n.jpg

282689_10150244320838111_700513110_7482832_1738782_n.jpg

282420_10150244345298111_700513110_7483031_4446882_n.jpg

282139_10150244434178111_700513110_7483576_5555843_n.jpg

A Human Becoming said:
So like every convention?

Like every convention multiplied by a thousand. I've been to E3 and Comic Con seems far worse to me. At least with E3, I had a press pass that allowed me to cut in front of everyone.

NYR

Lonestar said:
Um...there's a sequel coming for Ghost Rider?? :|
First movie: $110 million budget, made $228 millon worldwide.

It would be shocking if there wasn't a sequel...Sony likes money.

A Human Becoming said:
So like every convention?
As someone who went to Comic Con 2009, I can tell you, you are being a tad naive.

Comic-Con is the most congested convention there is. It is way too big to be in such a "small" venue...and when I say small, the convention Center is really pretty epic. Fill it with a few hundred thousand people, and you're screwed. Constant human traffic jams, you won't ever not be surrounded by people when you are inside:

comic-con_exhibitors_floor_2009.jpg

It's funny, you actually have to escape to the booths where people are selling comics to actually get some space. Quite ironic.

Jintor said:
Someone

anybody

get me a report on that Science of Deus Ex panel
Just wait a couple of hours after it. People post the entire thing on YouTube. Still remember my friend at the beach house we rented, watching something from Hall H that we spent 4 hours in line for - it was up online by the time we got home that night.

ReiGun

Here's to hoping DC has finally figured out how to explain this relaunch in such in way that doesn't make everyone go nuts trying to understand it.

NYR said:
Comic-Con is the most congested convention there is. It is way too big to be in such a "small" venue...and when I say small, the convention Center is really pretty epic. Fill it with a few hundred thousand people, and you're screwed. Constant human traffic jams, you won't ever not be surrounded by people when you are inside:

Mother of God.

NYR said:
First movie: $110 million budget, made $228 millon worldwide.

It would be shocking if there wasn't a sequel...Sony likes money.

Don't forget movie rights, they also love holding onto those as well.

Garryk

NYR said:
First movie: $110 million budget, made $228 millon worldwide, Cage's debt: $500 million.

It would be shocking if there wasn't a sequel...Sony likes Cage needs money.

Fixed for accuracy.

RiverBed

Banned
Important question:
I have no tickets for Comic-con. I REALLY want to see the cast of The Big Bang Theory and Dexter. Is there no chance if I don't have tickets? Can't I still see the interview panels from a distance and take zoomed pictures? Or is it completely closed off like E3?

Satch

Banned
RiverBed said:
Important question:
I have no tickets for Comic-con. I REALLY want to see the cast of The Big Bang Theory and Dexter. Is there no chance if I don't have tickets? Can't I still see the interview panels from a distance and take zoomed pictures? Or is it completely closed off like E3?
It's closed off.

The panels will be posted on Youtube by people that record during the show.

If anyone at the con would be willing to pick up a Mondo poster for me (I'll paypal you beforehand), I would love you forever.

Marvel quietly announced its day-and-date digital plans at one of today's conferences.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/07/21/marvel-moving-to-day-and-date-digital-releases/

While the Marvel Digital: What's Next?! Comics...and Beyond! panel was largely concerned with familiarizing the audience with Marvel's wide-ranging digital presence, David Gabriel, Senior Vice President of Publishing for Marvel, quietly slipped a bombshell into the panel: Marvel's major titles will go same-day digital over the coming year, beginning with Amazing Spider-Man #666 and the Spider-Island titles next week.

This year, two major franchises are going day-and-date digital: Spider-Man and the X-Men. Beginning next week with the Spider-Man family of titles -- including Rick Remender's Venom -- the titles will be available digitally the same day as their print counterparts. By the end of November, the X-Men titles will follow suit, beginning with Uncanny X-Men #1 and Wolverine & the X-Men #1.

Gabriel didn't mention if the satellite X-books, such as New Mutants or Generation Hope, will also be sold digitally the same day as print. He did, however, say that the switchover to day-and-date publishing will happen over time, rather than all at once. Instead of switching over the entire line in one fell swoop, Marvel will switch to simultaneous digital/print releases when new series start or new storylines begin. Essentially, Marvel wants to go same-day digital when there are clear and easy jumping on points for readers.

"As we progress toward The Avengers movie, you'll see more of the line going day and date," said Gabriel."

Gabriel did not discuss pricing, but it's reasonable to assume that the new day-and-date titles will be priced similarly to the ones available on comiXology and other outlets for full print retail price.

Will be going again on Sunday with my industry wife. Not incredibly enthused this time, for whatever reason. The growing criticisms of it are essentially valid. But it's still a unique sensory overload experience to walk the exhibition hall. And it's a great excuse to go to San Diego!

Slayven

Spike Spiegel said:
Marvel quietly announced its day-and-date digital plans at one of today's conferences.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/07/21/marvel-moving-to-day-and-date-digital-releases/
While DC is still quieting shitting on Wally West.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/21/live-from-the-dc-new-52-panel-updating/
No Wally West plans in the new series, to preserve the uniqueness of Flash in the new series. Despite repeated pressured questions from the floor. Sriously, politicians should get this kind of questioning,

Cherubae

NYR said:

It didn't use to be that way though.

fclk6x.jpg

Comic Con, 2001. On a Thursday afternoon.

Slayven said:
Another site has them saying the focus will be on Barry because to the general public he's more accessible and familiar (read: marketable). Same for undoing Oracle and making Babs become Batgirl again. Also, there's a Gail quote that seemingly contradicts earlier statements by saying Babs is fresh out of college (which would make Killing Joke and her time as Oracle incongruous).

I can't wait till not resetting Bruce backfires on them. With all these characters being de-aged, and having gone through four Robins (two of which are now men), how can Bruce be anything but an old man?

Slayven

Spike Spiegel said:
Another site has them saying the focus will be on Barry because to the general public he's more accessible and familiar (read: marketable). Same for undoing Oracle and making Babs become Batgirl again. Also, there's a Gail quote that seemingly contradicts earlier statements by saying Babs is fresh out of college (which would make Killing Joke and her time as Oracle incongruous).

I can't wait till not resetting Bruce backfires on them. With all these characters being de-aged, and having gone through four Robins (two of which are now men), how can Bruce be anything but an old man?
Bullshit, Wally is at least 10,000x2 more marketable and accessible. Oh well it's John world we just have to read it. Yeah the Batman thing is going to be weird to integrate, I bet they wanted to wipe Batman too but to appease Morrison they didn't.. That and the fact earth has 4 GL's yet everything posted makes it seem that superheros and Hal are kind of new on the scene.

justin12140 said:
anyone know when avatar: legend of korra conference is?
Saturday at 4pm (PST)!

Saturday, July 23
4:00-5:00 Finally! Nickelodeon: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra: Exclusive First Look— Creator team Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino, co-executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos, supervising producer Ki-Hyun Ryu, and composing team Ben Wynn and Jeremy Zuckerman give an exclusive sneak peek at the continuation of this element-bending saga. Moderated by Megan Casey, executive in charge for Nickelodeon. Room 6BCF

BEATEN but "tomorrow" depends on your current time zone

Edit 2: amazing limited edition SDCC poster

tumblr_lopgcvQkOQ1qazog6o1_500.png

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Evil Benius said:
Every year when this rolls around I wish I had gotten tickets, but then I think about how much I hated it the last time I was there (2009). This convention really has gotten too large for me to enjoy. This has nothing to do with "this was cooler before anyone knew about it" and more the fact that things are way too crowded to enjoy what is there. It does not help that a big reason I attend conventions is for costumes and this one just plain sucks for that. At least San Diego was always nice to visit.

I wish the talk of it moving to another venue would come true so I could give it another shot. I need more reasons to get out to visit my west coast friends.

You need to go to Anime Expo in LA then. That's where the costumes be. Lots of video game related ones as well.

Question re: security checks...

I'm planning to bring a backpack full of camera equipment. Do the door people ask you to break it open and take everything out? I've had bad experiences in the past with oafish doormen who almost dropped my lenses and what not...

the_log_ride said:
Question re: security checks...

I'm planning to bring a backpack full of camera equipment. Do the door people ask you to break it open and take everything out? I've had bad experiences in the past with oafish doormen who almost dropped my lenses and what not...

I don't recall any issue at all.

Marty Chinn said:
I don't recall any issue at all.

Thanks! Didn't think there would be, but I just wanted to make sure. I keep hearing from friends that after you get your badge from the window, they don't even check 'em as you go into the convention grounds. 'Guess it'd be pretty hard to check all the people, though...

the_log_ride said:
Thanks! Didn't think there would be, but I just wanted to make sure. I keep hearing from friends that after you get your badge from the window, they don't even check 'em as you go into the convention grounds. 'Guess it'd be pretty hard to check all the people, though...

Ya, I remember it being fairly relaxed there. It's been two years since I went but the two times I did go it was pretty easy.

Messi said:
Do the panels get recorded? Id love to see some of them, especially the nerd machine - firefly panel.

I usually just scour youtube for people who upload footage. Stuff gets put up pretty quickly, actually.

YES!

315l8w7.jpg

o34hf.jpg

Wednesday at Comic-Con International in San Diego, IDW Publishing made its first of three announcements about upcoming Artist's Edition volumes. "Wally Wood's EC Stories Artist's Edition," due in October, will be the third in IDW's series of deluxe, limited-edition books reprinting classic creators' work from the original inked art at actual size.

I'm all over this.

Please let there be some Elfquest movie news...

I used to go, but like others have said, I've had it with the Con, until they change venues. I'm not that claustrophobic, but when you are trapped in a group of people and can't even move your arms, its just creepy.

Riptwo

As a huge Mondo Tees fan who's in Canada during SDCC, how cool is their booth? The Tyler Stout and Olly Moss Captain America prints look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom