• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse

Neo Member
My Comic-Con experience this year was simply amazing! Maybe it's because I had such low hopes and expected it to be ruined with crowds (believe me, they were massive).

Thursday: I attend a community college in east San Diego county and I had to take a summer school final during the first day of Comic-Con so I arrived around 2:00 PM or so. The great news is that this year they allowed you to pick up all single day passes within one day for the first time (I didn't go last year and could only get individual passes). My sister arrived early for Ballroom 20 and saw all the panels there with a great seat (i'm pretty jealous of her Game of Thrones swag bag). I eventually caught up to her after waiting for hours in line. I started with the TV Guide favorites panel and stuck it out through the end of the Showtime panels. It was an overall good day (relative to the following).

Friday: Here's where the fun begins. Me and my sister wait in Ballroom 20 very early. We manage to snag amazing seats. The only people in front of us are those reserved for industry people/ friends and family. Keep in mind that this is a line that extended to the ocean. From these seats we saw panels for Torchwood, The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, Eureka, Warehouse 13, and True Blood. I'm not too into Big Bang Theory (i'll occasionally watch it), but the panel was so much fun. First of all, TWD and BBT were both moderated by Chris Hardwick which was great. A nice lady we had a conversation with throughout the day asked a question (4:12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1cyDDH9OM).

Saturday: Day 3 and 4 involved getting in line for my interests, rather than my sister's. We got in line for the Hilton Indigo room about as early as the previous day. It was for Community mainly but the panels that preceded it were great as well. Attack of the Show put on a great show and it's great when panelists have a lot of fun. Community was great too. It should be noted that Alison Brie wasn't there. They gave out a SDCC exclusive Season 2 DVD sleeve to everyone seated. As much as people were battling for good seats after each panel for the next, the Frank Miller panel after it had a lot of empty seats (I guess it shows the state of Comic-Con). We came back to this hall later for the composer's panel expecting it to be jam-packed. To my surprise, hardly anyone was there and we sat in the fourth row (and could have been in front without hesitation to be quite honest). It was more confusing because these guys have huge credits. At least it made the event more intimate with the people that were there. Anyone into filmmaking who had the opportunity to see it done goofed. Leaving the panel, there happened to be a Community sleeve left on the floor in a sea of empty seats (score!).

Sunday: With It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia being my current favorite show since the second season, I decided we should get in line for Hall H incredibly early with Glee and Doctor Who fans. It turned out to be worth it as we got amazing seats once again (I could probably be seen clearly in the video Rob McElhenney took of the crowd). Once they let the Doctor Who fans out, the Sunny fans rushed into the biggest CC panel room. First, they show an episode from the next season, then they came out in costumes from the show to answer questions. Another amazing experience overall. I forgot to mention that the Cleveland Show panel was great as well.

What I loved most about the event is are the panelists who are enthusiastic and truly showed appreciation for fans there (while there were those who appeared to want to leave as quickly as possible). I did not expect to able to get into these panels, let alone have great seats for each of them (though the lines were HUGE). I didn't buy a single thing, but got a lot of free stuff from the panels. I skipped the exhibit hall for the most part.

Thanks for reading.

Milhouse said:
My Comic-Con experience this year...

Very cool, Milhouse! I've never sat in line to wait for panels, but from what you wrote, it seems that people can get into some no problem. I'll try that out next year.

Eggo said:
Can you guys see the pics on this link?

https://plus.google.com/photos/100782397610933730177/albums/5633160489973644321?gpcaz=82436176

It's a Google+ album of pics I took from Comicon.

Works for me, Eggo. Checkin' 'em out now...

Here are some pics from Friday:

It feels like it's getting more and more crowded each year.

The master of unlocking.

Cappy trades in his mask and shield for a ball and chain. ;)

These guys were frickin' hilarious. They kept it up whenever they had to walk from one point to another.

Broku lives.

Full set of photos can be found HERE

GuessWho

1927822-sdcc2011_comicvine_cosplay_1067_super.jpg

Moofers

Sweet fancy moses. If I were single, I'd be going to comic-con to meet my wife. Seriously. I don't know how people get anything done with all those hot costumed women walking around. I'd be knocking over things left and right with my boner.

Moofers said:
What? How's that work and where'd you hear it?

Well I was there and had the opportunity to buy my tickets for next year. I had to wait for 4 hours in line, starting at 6am before the con started on Thursday. I was about 2000/2500 of the passes they sold that day. They sold 2500 tickets each day and the rest will be available for purchase online at a later date (not announced yet).

So 10,000 tickets are gone, but the total is about 125K. I hope the system will be better for on line purchases.

Also, the amount of half naked women this year was staggering (and awesome!)

Moofers said:
What? How's that work and where'd you hear it?

I believe that 2011 passholders are given priority to buy passes for 2012. After that, it's opened up to the rest of the public via online purchase. What usually happens is that all the 4-day + Preview Night passes will have been sold out before the rest of the people can purchase them.

the_log_ride said:
I believe that 2011 passholders are given priority to buy passes for 2012. After that, it's opened up to the rest of the public via online purchase. What usually happens is that all the 4-day + Preview Night passes will have been sold out before the rest of the people can purchase them.

Correct, you needed a pass to buy next year's tickets at the con. But they put a much larger cap on tickets sold this year so more will be available online.

Szu

After looking through some of these pics, I see that there are quite a few Jokers there.

And Batmans, Wolverines, Slave Leia....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom