• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata has killed the Super Mario brand. How would you revive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more than happy with where the Mario series is.

Lumping together all mario related games is foolish, many of them are a series of their own. I own nearly every game on that list apart from the clock apps, arcade games and olympic games, can you say the same for yourself? Have you even played 10 games on that list to completion?

It seams like you don't really understand what Mario is about if you're demanding they change and reboot its image.

Riki

I think the real problem here is that more and more children are growing up without Mario.

We just had a generation of 20+ million that played various Mario games on the DS and Wii.
Mario is probably the biggest he's been in a long time.

Tuck

It's a problem that has been happening for a while, the numbers were just the trigger point. Considering the fact that the series was more recognized than Mickey at one point, titles "Doing well" is a bit of a downgrade, don't you think?

I think the problem isn't so much that Mario is being over used, its that Nintendo's other IPs are being underused. Significantly.

Theres also the fact that the game is on a console that flat out wont sell.

3D Land sold extremely well, as did NSMB Wii. The brand is fine. But its not enough to carry a system and honestly shouldnt be expected to.

braves01

Banned
Mario infinite runner on mobile is the solution. Free to play model with non-cosmetic micro-transactions to increase profitability.

bp6qZ.gif

My screen is sprayed with juice. Thanks, Electric. Best laugh of the day.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mario saturation can work on the 3DS because even with the lost Touch Generation demographic, the hardware still can sell strongly outside of Japan with the large younger demographic. It doesn't hurt that the hand held gets a ton of Japanese third party support as well.

Mario saturation doesn't work on consoles, because consoles have to be sold to either adults+children or just adults in the contemporary world. The console better have some type of value to your mom and dad, or whoever has a job and pays the bills, otherwise they are fine with shoving a 3DS in front of their kids, and whatever licensed pixar shovelware exists on the Microsoft and SONY consoles. (I actually think Ratchet and Jak are great platformers though). The Wii presented Wii Sports and Wii Fit as something exciting for adults to do. The N64 had a large teen and college dorm following with all the arcade and first person multiplayer offerings at the time. The Wii U and GameCube are the result of eliminating that X factor from Nintendo's first party line up.

Raw64life

Mario is tied for Dragon Quest for my all time favorite video game franchise but between the 3DS and Wii U I've bought 7 games with the word Mario or Luigi in it in the last 2 years.

However, Nintendo has 100 problems more worrisome than "we're releasing too many great games featuring the same character" right now.

More Unreal Engine. More Blood. More guns. In fact, just make a Call of Duty clone with Mario as the main character.

The drop in quality from Galaxy 2 to 3d World is unacceptable people. I mean, the series went from genre defining to only amazing. What a fall from grace.

Toad.T

Banned
I'd say Mario is still far more recognizable than Mickey Mouse.
Go to any retail store and you'll see Mario clothes, toys, pillows, blankets, towels, posters, ect.

But not as many as Angry Birds or Skylanders. People indoctrinate their kids on things like that because they offer things that other stuff doesn't. The few that are buying those things are parents relying on memories of their childhood. Where as with Mickey/Supes, the portrayals shown now rarely rely on nostalgia. Do you see Mickey constantly driving a steamboat? Do you see Superman relying on Gold/Silver age tropes? But with Mario, the series constantly utilizes the 8-bit sprites as if they are the greatest stuff.

Yes, it was all one man's fault. Not underselling hardware, changing market trends, the launch of two new consoles, the lack of a robust software library, etc. Satoru Iwata stabbed him in the heart personally. What a monster.

Good grief.

Victrix

*beard*
Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound are the new Mario

Though Pokemon is still strong. I wonder what the percentage of kids to adults-who-grew-up-on-it is

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Some gibberish that wasn't on the North American release!
It's not an American company.

I bet you every once and awhile they float the idea of Super Mario Bros. 5, and then someone reminds them that this would be a problem for the overseas audience. So they change the name to something new like... New Super Mario Bros.

Time to reboot Mario. First flesh out Mario's backstory. Explain his Italian mobster family and how Mario has tried to get out of the criminal life through working a clean job as a plumber, but things have started to go bad when his brother Luigi introduces him to experimenting with Halucinogens and goes on a killing rampage. The gameplay will be a mix of modern Mario during the drug induced scenes with gritty realistic Max Payne like gunplay and touchscreen plumbing action during the normal scenes. Make it happen.

Riki

But not as many as Angry Birds or Skylanders. People indoctrinate their kids on things like that because they offer things that other stuff doesn't. The few that are buying those things are parents relying on memories of their childhood. Where as with Mickey/Supes, the portrayals shown now rarely rely on nostalgia. Do you see Mickey constantly driving a steamboat? Do you see Superman relying on Gold/Silver age tropes? But with Mario, the series constantly utilizes the 8-bit sprites as if they are the greatest stuff.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?
Has the Skylanders game (not the figures) sold more than the best selling Mario?
Is Angry Birds (a free game) really doing better than Mario (a $60 game)?

These aren't exactly comparable.
Mario is still insanely popular. The problem is not Mario. The problem is the WiiU.

Also, most of Mario's merchandise is from recent stuff.
Mario Kart Wii/7 toys. Using his Galaxy model for clothes and stuff.

Toad.T

Banned
I just realized I'm digging myself deeper and deeper into a alcove I can never escape from, aren't I.

Seems like it's just best to delete my account before it gets worse, I think.

Gestault

I understand parts of this have more to do with how games are marketed, but it apparently needs to be asked for the sake of perspective: Are there legitimate questions about the quality of Mario games? Is Mario 3D World lacking in quality? Does Mario & Luigi Dream Team fall short compared to similar titles? Is Mario Kart a poor game? Is Luigi's Mansion 2 considered lackluster?

If our desire as gamers is high-quality, fun games paired with creativity in game design, then the Mario series is probably the last name I'd bring into a conversations about where games have failed. I think there's effectively nothing that could be done to result in a higher quality, more varied stable of videogames within a single franchise.

Sanjuro

It's not an American company.

No, not for much longer based upon the slew of threads!

Either way, my initial post was in jest. Nintendo needs to make a a decent Mario title that appeals to me, that's just for me and seemingly many others based upon sales.

Eusis

How about a break? Let other IPs shine. I'm getting sick of Mario this, Mario that, day in and day out.
This, really. Starve people a bit and they'll readily flock to Mario (nevermind that it's a long tail seller anyway) but in the mean time grow new IPs. Try to find something that excites people and gets their interest again, and don't forget a lot of the appeal for New Super Mario Bros was that it was a new 2D Mario after about a decade and a half of not having that, just 3D Marios and offshoots.

Also, perhaps being more willing to (on a surface level) surprise and mix things up. I do imagine people got bored of NSMB being so formulaic and in all the worst ways presentation-wise, if we had the same sort of freshness from SMB1 to SMB3 or SMB3 to SMW it'd probably go better, nevermind something like SMB2 USA. Instead it's like SMB2j over and over except without the difficulty gradually ramping up.

Skilletor

No, not for much longer based upon the slew of threads!

Either way, my initial post was in jest. Nintendo needs to make a a decent Mario title that appeals to me, that's just for me and seemingly many others based upon sales.

They did. It's just on a failing console. The sales of 3DWorld are in no way an indictment of the game. I don't see how anybody could say that.

3D Land sold amazingly well.

The premise of this thread is flawed.

orioto

Good Art™
By treating Mario like some sort of tradition for the fans, they won't go far, sure.

It's always the same song. They have to ask themselves how they can make people outside mario fandome (but gamers) interested in it again.

It's pretty clear that Mario went from a pioneer ip (remember even in 95-96, Yoshi (that count as a mario) was the most advance 2D game in the world with its art style and effects, and Mario 64 well, you know...) to something that please fans or make people remember their childhood. That's how you die, slowly but surely.

He killed the brand? Most of those games you listed were big sellers and profit makers for Nintendo. Just because there isn't that 'sacred' 3D Mario that comes out once every five years doesn't mean he 'killed the brand.' If anything, from a business standpoint, you could argue he expanded and diversified it -- two things he was probably tasked with and successfully achieved.

terrisus

If he "killed" them, I like them this way.
Sure, they're not SMW and Mario 64 anymore, but, at least the recent games have been far, far better than Sunshine or the Galaxy games.

EDIT: And, that's a pretty great list of games in the OP there.

make a free roaming mario where he traverses landscapes to fight the best bosses from his entire history, make it co-op and add a brownskinned mushroom character with a fro instead of a mushroom and I'll buy 8 copies.

antonz

I think there is more brand confusion with Mario right now than anything. The 2D and 3D markets have always been distinct of each other.

3D world as amazing as it is was them trying to get both audiences to jump on board.

Bad move when the bundle you are selling already has a 2D Mario.Bad Move when 3D Mario fans were expecting something far grander in scope.

Initial Unveiling of 3D world did it no favors and did more harm then good

LeleSocho

Banned
Let the damn franchise rest for at least 3 years.
I was a Nintendo fanboy up until the end life of the wii but god damn even i am incredibly bored of seeing Mario everywhere.

Seriously after 3-4 years people will be so hungry of Mario that it would sell a fuckton of fucktons.

Sanjuro

They did. It's just on a failing console. The sales of 3DWorld are in no way an indictment of the game. I don't see how anybody could see that.

3D Land sold amazingly well.

The premise of this thread is flawed.

This post is kind of backwards. That Mario title is supposed to push the console to not fail, it hasn't done this, so I wouldn't say the sales are "no way an indictment".

I've seen a bit from the game now. It just doesn't seem that appealing. I bought a 3DS just for 3D Land, but ended up returning that.

Maybe a real Super Mario Bros sequel. Not sure if you'd call it SMB4 or SMB5 (in case SMBWorld = SMB4 for you)

Super Mario Bros. X

Holy shit at that hyperbole, OP. I can taaaaaste it.

I feel like 3D World is exactly the kind of "new" that the series needed. The problem is the console at this point.

It's a damn shame, too. 3D World is rad.

ShodanMAN

Don't 100% agree with the OP, but I do think Mario probably has to go into a proper 3D structure again, instead of this 3/2D form it's in now. One thing I'd really like is Mario to become a Metroidvania. Now that would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom