• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata has killed the Super Mario brand. How would you revive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
How many days were tracked for it this month? Aren't Mario games evergreen titles? How much did it sell compared to the hardware its on?

Omzz

what a shitty thread. 3D world is a great game. I wish sometimes sales isn't given the weight it usually is around here. This thread being a clear example.

Nintendo has its work cut out for them that much is true shown by their bad sales. But that doesn't mean the games aren't. I have more to look forward to on Wii U than the other consoles at the moment. When PS4 has something I want I'm ready to dive in.

terrisus

0922.png

Nintendo obviously backed the wrong character in this game. Cranky Kong has been warning us all along.

We had our warning too:

Donkey+Kong+Jr.+NES+3rd+Level+Hard.png

Skilletor

This post is kind of backwards. That Mario title is supposed to push the console to not fail, it hasn't done this, so I wouldn't say the sales are "no way an indictment".

I've seen a bit from the game now. It just doesn't seem that appealing. I bought a 3DS just for 3D Land, but ended up returning that.

Super Mario Bros. X

That's cool. Everybody has their own opinion. SM3DL sold 8 million copies so far. Obviously people like the concept.

Nobody is buying games on the Wii U. The console itself is failing. Nothing will sell on this console. Mario Kart is going to bomb, so will DKCR2.

I'll love them, but that's the reality of the situation imo. Doesn't matter what gets released on the console if people don't want to buy the console to play the games.

Super Mario 3D World is an amazing game.

You finish the game and it opens up even more worlds. Most other games will just DLC you to death; this game will give you even more game as you go through it, it's fantastic. It just gives you stuff to do. It's fun to go back previous levels with friends for multiplayer. This is as 'pure' as it gets for a console game.

I hope future Mario games will always be designed this way; it's just such a creative format they can do a lot with.

So, no, the Mario brand doesn't need a revamp. The Wii U needs better marketing, that is true. But specifically, the Mario brand doesn't need to change in terms of how inventive it is with its worlds and level design. Maybe they need to focus LESS on Mario to 'help' the Wii U. But Mario itself is really so well done at this point and Mario 3D World shows it, if you have already played it (and are not just judging it based on videos/pictures)

herr.bobbenhof

Neo Member
i really don't get why people complain about the over usage of mario as a brand. mario platformers are totally different from mario kart which is totally different from mario party which are all different from mario and luigi. i would even argue that the 2D and 3D outings are very different from one another. all those games are in different genres, the only thing they share is the characters. and that doesn't matter for the gameplay. i'd never pass on the new mario kart because i just played mario vs. donkey kong before...

in addition, i view DK, mario, wario and even yoshi as independent franchises. yes, they all appeared in games starring the others but over time they pretty much evolved into their own thing.

using the established characters in new titles is not a bad move by nintendo. familiar faces lead to more sales so nintendo can experiment with new kind of gameplay experiences without having to fear low sales due to the introduction of a new ip.

however, i'd like to see a new ip nonetheless ;)

p.s. i hope this post somehow gets my points across... it's pretty late here :p

Sanjuro

That's cool. Everybody has their own opinion. SM3DL sold 8 million copies so far. Obviously people like the concept.

Nobody is buying games on the Wii U. The console itself is failing. Nothing will sell on this console. Mario Kart is going to bomb, so will DKCR2.

I'll love them, but that's the reality of the situation imo. Doesn't matter what gets released on the console if people don't want to buy the console to play the games.

They like the concept for a handheld, yes.

Super Mario 3D World is absolutely a part of the console failing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It isn't dead you're reaching, anyway Nintendo games have long legs when it comes to sales so I have no doubt that the same will happen here.

I'd give Mario a rest and make a Star Fox game instead.

Mario sells more than Star Fox period.

Gamepad-less model with pro controller for $199.99 + smash bundle for christmas.

Youre welcome.

For what? Nintendo is stuck with the pad and they aren't going to drop it and they can't drop the price on the system when they are taking a loss on it.

The Smash Bros bundle is properly the most useful suggestion you made and even that is hindered by the 3DS version.

Look, they could make a Mario game that causes spontaneous orgasms in you pants when you complete it and it will probably still won't help sell Wii U sell like the Wii.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wouldn't say he "killed" the brand name. I think it's still very strong, but there needs to be some much stricter quality control from here on out. But no more of this experimental, let's try to make a console sequel to a handheld game stuff they've been doing for a while. (Yes, NSMBW sold a bajillion units, but the situation's far too different from SM3DW for me to bother explaining why)

Look, they could make a Mario game that causes spontaneous orgasms in you pants when you complete it and it will probably still won't help sell Wii U sell like the Wii.

They've already done that, G. It's called Super Mario Galaxy.

Platy

Trying to actualy answer the OP :

3D mario always sold MUCH less than 2D mario, SPECIALY in Japan. Japan fucking HATES 3D mario.

So you want New Super Mario BAHs for infinity, right ?

dcx4610

First person shooter or a punishing sequel to the Lost Levels as the console defining Mario experience.

I'm kidding about the first, not so much the 2nd.

rschauby

Banned
I thought games sold hardware.

Now games can't sell hardware?

Gamers no longer like games; they are obsessed with hardware.

Riki

Look at the best selling games of last month. They don't care about good games. They just want whatever is flashy.

Ansatz

Not enough data points to conclude brand saturation.

Aren't NSMB 2, MK7 and 3D Land (the games that saved 3DS) at 8m+? Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario: SS had impressive numbers too.

Based on reviews and Miiverse comments, people are crazy about 3D World.

There are too many factors surrounding Wii U to single out that Mario is the perpetrator.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The system may be on a low point but people honestly don't seem to understand that he is just a mascot for Nintendo. Doing all of these threads on how he has doomed the company is completely biased. The numbers may look bad (and they are) but you have to understand that Nintendo knows this as well and just pointing out the obvious ain't gonna help anyone. Also, to be completely honest, the last three Mario games to come out from Nintendo have been some of the best. They weren't afraid to experiment and bring back that jazz mario had back in the old days. I think they have a huge mario project in the works to reinvigorate the franchise and 3D land was just the testing grounds for it. Just you wait, you know it'll happen.

Came here for the denial posts. Did not leave disappointed.

I think the days of Nintendo being the third home console on the market are over. There sinply aren't enough customers who want to spend $300 on another device when they already have a tablet, and a console from Sony and or Microsoft.

Skilletor

Partly true. People dont' want to spend 300 dollars on a console that puts out graphics like the ps3/360. For all the people who bitch about paying for online, games being put out piece meal, being broken at launch, it doesn't seem to matter in the face of nintendo's polished output, complete games at launch with little to no DLC to speak of, and when they do put out DLC it's like NSMBU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom