• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata has killed the Super Mario brand. How would you revive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad.T

Banned
So... Um... Yeah.

I don't think I need to say that the system is in deep shit. No amount of image macros or whatever will say otherwise. But with that being said, there's a lesser-seen problem that is coursing through the thread. Mario is failing. Hard.

It's not as if the title being shown isn't quality enough. Multiple outlets were singing the praises of the system when the game released and has a aggregated score of about 93/94. But it isn't driving people to buy systems and that's the main thing. Plus there's the whole thing about overusage. Here's a list of all the titles that have had Mario/Yoshi/DK/Wario as a starring/Title role in the last 5 years, plus what's coming next year:

Mario Party Fushigi no Korokoro Catcher - Arcade
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis - Wii
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Nintendo DS
WarioWare: D.I.Y. - Nintendo DS
WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase - Wii (WiiWare)
Mario Calculator - Nintendo DSi (DSiWare)
Mario Clock - Nintendo DSi (DSiWare)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! - Nintendo DSi (DSiWare)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - Wii/Nintendo DS
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! - Nintendo DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii
Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition (Also known as Super Mario All-Stars - 25th Anniversary Edition) - Wii
Mario Sports Mix - Wii

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Coin World - Arcade
Super Mario 3D Land - Nintendo 3DS
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games - Wii
Fortune Street - Wii
Mario Kart 7 - Nintendo 3DS

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Party 9 - Wii
Mario Tennis Open - Nintendo 3DS
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Nintendo 3DS
Paper Mario: Sticker Star - Nintendo 3DS
New Super Mario Bros. U - Wii U
Nintendo Land - Wii U

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Nintendo 3DS
Game & Wario - Wii U
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move - Nintendo eShop
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - Nintendo 3DS
New Super Luigi U - Wii U
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX - Arcade
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - Wii U
Super Mario 3D World - Wii U
Mario Party: Island Tour - Nintendo 3DS

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U
Yoshi's New Island - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Golf: World Tour - Nintendo 3DS
Mario Kart 8 - Wii U
Yarn Yoshi - Wii U

Total: 42 Titles

Some say that this is better than the 5 years before that: 2003-2008 with 82 titles (!!!)
but it still is pretty damn bad. Plus the lack of general awareness (When was the last time you've seen a modern game in this series parodied or mentioned in popular culture?), merchandise, etc... doesn't help at all.

But lets just say that things changed. Let's say that Iwata's replacement comes in and magically fixes all their problems. New IP's are introduced up the wazoo and get people talking. You still have to take care of your old flagship series. Superman comics are still being made while DC experiments and Mickey Cartoons are still being made while Disney relies on Cars/P&F/Fairies, so it's not impossible for it to be done.

Which brings me to my topic question. Say that Nintendo's new president has put you in charge of the Mario series while every other one of their developers employed is busy making new IP's people want (While also throwing a bone to fans of their older IP's once in a while by releasing one game per system). What would you do with said series? Where would it go? Would it even be remotely similar to what we know today?

Personally, I'd reboot it. The industry has grown to leaps and bounds from what it once was in every direction. Even kid friendly franchises such as Skylanders and Angry Birds have thought put into their worlds through expanded mediums (Such as a cartoon in AB's case) or in-game lore. People demand more these days from all aspects of entertainment. It's basically impossible to have a legacy series stay the same in the entirety of it's career. Superman went from a flying boy-scout to a multi-faceted icon with multiple interpretations. Mickey went from a trouble-making scamp to a squeaky clean kindergarten teacher. Nearly every beloved icon I can think of is experimenting with what their worlds can do. For shit's sakes, Archie comics now has a Zombie apocalypse spinoff! Mario has had none of these transformations. Whether this stems from the company's fear after that live action Hollywood mess or from something else, we may never know. But the fact is, if the series can't provide what people desire in entertainment from it's current state, it should be redone so that it can.

So TL;DR: You have the power to reignite one of gaming's most beloved icons to appease a more vast industry. Everybody else in the company is making new IP's, but you're in charge of the Super Mario series. What do you do?

Pardon me if this seems a tad to reactionary to sales figures, or if this seems too cliché given my posting history (I don't want to be pigeonholed by anyone. I love all aspects of this wonderful industry), but It's been on my mind for a while.

Riki

Killed it? Every recent Mario game is a multi million seller and 3D World will get there as well.
This topic is both misguided and premature.

Tuck

Unbelievable hyperbole OP.

Its the console, not the game.

3D Land sold well.
Kart 7 sold well.
Luigi's Mansion 2 sold well.

Dunno about the two RPGs, but pretty sure they sold well too.

The common factor from all that? The 3DS.

Mik317

That thread title is going to turn this thread into something else.

But Id just sit on it, and build up other franchises.

Then in a few years come out with Super Mario 128, basically a tribute to Mario 64 but with new world and creative things to do like 3DWorld...basically a fusion of the 64 style games with 3Dworld's creativity.

Shaffield

i kinda feel like the Galaxy games and 3D Land/World were attempts to redefine and reinvigorate the series a little bit

Toad.T

Banned

Yes really. Think about it, we've had a "Mainline" title every year since 2009, where as before, we had to wait 6 years between 64 and Sunshine.

As for those that want 64 2, that's going to be really hard considering the move to 3D and the novelty it brings can only be done once, unless scientists find a secret 5th dimension or something.

Personally, I'd reboot it.

bp6qZ.gif

Busaiku

Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2 all did good numbers.
Not amazing, but good numbers.

Mario is far from dead.
Wii U is far from life.

Linkhero1

Killed is such a strong term. Milked? maybe. They rely too much on Mario and it hasn't helped them much. I think we would have seen stronger sales on the Wii U if the console itself was more attractive.

jackdoe

I would personally rest the use of the character outside of core titles and make spin offs with other IPs. Imagine a Metroid Golf, Zelda Tennis, or Fire Emblem at the Olympics. I'd buy those in a heart beat.

Toad.T

Banned
lmao

i've seen some hyperbole

but this is something else

good show OP.

Killed it? Every recent Mario game is a multi million seller and 3D World will get there as well.
This topic is both misguided and premature.

Unbelievable hyperbole OP.

Its the console, not the game.

3D Land sold well.
Kart 7 sold well.
Luigi's Mansion 2 sold well.

Dunno about the two RPGs, but pretty sure they sold well too.

The common factor from all that? The 3DS.

Lordy. Mario isn't going anywhere.

That's like saying Bill Gates killed Halo.

It's a problem that has been happening for a while, the numbers were just the trigger point. Considering the fact that the series was more recognized than Mickey at one point, titles "Doing well" is a bit of a downgrade, don't you think?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think Mario needs a machine gun. Use the bricks as chest high cover. Need 64 player death match with kill streaks and perks. Turn Bowser into a marauding, evil lizard. Make him kill Peach. Mario has to save her. The game needs tons of cut scenes and realistic particle physics on the shells and brains that are riddled with bullets.

Mario's just fucking fine, dude.

Riki

It's a problem that has been happening for a while, the numbers were just the trigger point. Considering the fact that the series was more recognized than Mickey at one point, titles "Doing well" is a bit of a downgrade, don't you think?

I'd say Mario is still far more recognizable than Mickey Mouse.
Go to any retail store and you'll see Mario clothes, toys, pillows, blankets, towels, posters, ect.

JDSN

Banned
Thread title Sponsored by Dragonsworne.

DragonSworne: Because Nintendo could have funded a new Metroid Prime with all that money for Nintendo Directs.

I was referring to your rebooting concept, not sales numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom