• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

tkscz

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Nothing is wrong with the online infrastructure of the WiiU or 3DS. You want to play a game online? You play it. You want to play with friends? You play with friends. The system tells you when your friends are online and let's you join them from the console's friend menu.

Berg

Nothing is wrong with the online infrastructure of the WiiU or 3DS. You want to play a game online? You play it. You want to play with friends? You play with friends. The system tells you when your friends are online and let's you join them from the console's friend menu.

and It's free.

Wii U's online is pretty fantastic, actually.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Okay. I'll email Valve and ask them to add the fantastic ID restriction to a single computer feature.

qq more

Okay. I'll email Valve and ask them to add the fantastic ID restriction to a single computer feature.

Yeah, that's the one thing I hate about the Wii U's online. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they get rid of that shit considering they're planning to make Miiverse accessible from other devices. (either way, it's inexcusable)

They also should add a cross voice chat feature. Other than that I'm pretty okay with the online.

King_Moc

Banned

It doesn't even make sense as a comparison. Plenty of people have several PC's, use mobile phones etc, to buy Steam games when they are out. Do you know anyone that has 2 Wii U's? No.

It'll be the same situation as with the 3DS. A transfer tool will be available when it's needed.

Acrylic7

The online infrastructure works but it could be better.
Its something that doesn't need to be fixed asap, but updates and such are going to happen.
No biggy.

solarus

It doesn't even make sense as a comparison. Plenty of people have several PC's, use mobile phones etc, to buy Steam games when they are out. Do you know anyone that has 2 Wii U's? No.

It'll be the same situation as with the 3DS. A transfer tool will be available when it's needed.

It still doesn't make sense seeing as every other sane console manufacturer doesn't do this. I guess there is a defence force for everything.

NeoRausch

It still doesn't make sense seeing as every other sane console manufacturer doesn't do this. I guess there is a defence force for everything.

for one:

not defending anything here, but the Wiiu is like two month old now.

take a step back and take a look at the PS3 and 360 when they where that young.
totally different systems than now.
give it . we are in a new age. OSs grow and improve nowadays, yuknow.

AzaK

I'd hardly call what Iwata does "playing it safe". Playing it safe would be releasing a product very similar to the competition.

I don't think so because going back to to complete head to head with SONY and MS would be VERY, VERY risky.

Nintendo lost a lot of western third party support/mindshare and relationships are still a bit strained, even with the effort they are putting in to change that.

Nintendo has all but lost the hardcore gamers, apart from Nintendo fans like us. Making a gamer switch platform is a very hard thing to do. Nintendo worked hard at to succeed at it during the N64 and GameCube days and finally finished it with the Wii :) Are they going to now be able to change that around?

I think Nintendo are WAY too conservative in some aspects. They didn't need to make the Wii a GC 1.5. They could have modernised the system to accept ports from 360/PS3, even if it wasn't as powerful or still SD. At the same time kept it cheap and accessible for people.

With Wii U, they could have made the thing a noticeable bump over 360/PS3 by designing for a higher power usage (Say 50-60W) without breaking the bank. This I feel would have translated into a better reception amongst gamers and gaming press which feeds into more sales and more support.

King_Moc

Banned
It's not a valid excuse to justify this feature.

I didn't justify it. I was just saying that your comparison didn't make sense.

I don't defend it. I just don't see how it's a big problem right now. When people sell consoles or they break, then it becomes an issue. That's not much of a problem one month in.

IrishNinja

Satoru Iwata is the one who needs to step down, really. His "play it safe, play it cheap" strategy has reached saturation level for quite a time and it's damaging Nintendo's credibility among gamers.

yeah, they likely lost a lotta sleep about that last gen when they were eating everyone's lunch
why would they be concerned at all with this? the last time they went for that was the gamecube, and we all saw how that tragically went

seriously, it's always weird to see rational people (read: not Tobor) asking for Iwata to step down

I'd hardly call what Iwata does "playing it safe". Playing it safe would be releasing a product very similar to the competition.

^thank you

yeah, they likely lost a lotta sleep about that last gen when they were eating everyone's lunch
why would they be concerned at all with this? the last time they went for that was the gamecube, and we all saw how that tragically went

seriously, it's always weird to see rational people (read: not Tobor) asking for Iwata to step down

Sorry, I committed heresy against your supreme leader and I accept judgment.

Edit: why would they be concerned at all with this? Because Nintendo is loosing money and Wii U isn't getting attention from gamers, that's why.

IrishNinja

Sorry, I committed heresy against your supreme leader and I accept judgment.

Edit: why would they be concerned at all with this? Because Nintendo is loosing money and Wii U isn't getting attention from gamers, that's why.

to the latter: how exactly do you quantify "attention from gamers" and sales? if you used forums like this, the dreamcast & gamecube got infinitely more "attention" than the wii..i'd wager you could even say that with reviews (DS is another great example). you're seeing a correlation and assuming causation

to the former: ah, my bad, again i was referring to rational people/discourse which it doesnt sound like you're interested in
if you were, i'd say iwata turned the ship around & brought them record profits. 3DS stumbled & bounced back, WU might currently be stumbling in some territories but the "FIRE IWATA" camp (again, fortunately this seems to be a minority around here) is both quick on the gun and slow on the logic/reasons for such a claim

to the latter: how exactly do you quantify "attention from gamers" and sales? if you used forums like this, the dreamcast & gamecube got infinitely more "attention" than the wii..i'd wager you could even say that with reviews (DS is another great example). you're seeing a correlation and assuming causation

I don't think so because going back to to complete head to head with SONY and MS would be VERY, VERY risky.

Nintendo lost a lot of western third party support/mindshare and relationships are still a bit strained, even with the effort they are putting in to change that.

Nintendo has all but lost the hardcore gamers, apart from Nintendo fans like us. Making a gamer switch platform is a very hard thing to do. Nintendo worked hard at to succeed at it during the N64 and GameCube days and finally finished it with the Wii :) Are they going to now be able to change that around?

I think Nintendo are WAY too conservative in some aspects. They didn't need to make the Wii a GC 1.5. They could have modernised the system to accept ports from 360/PS3, even if it wasn't as powerful or still SD. At the same time kept it cheap and accessible for people.

With Wii U, they could have made the thing a noticeable bump over 360/PS3 by designing for a higher power usage (Say 50-60W) without breaking the bank. This I feel would have translated into a better reception amongst gamers and gaming press which feeds into more sales and more support.

Listen to him.

to the former: ah, my bad, again i was referring to rational people/discourse which it doesnt sound like you're interested in
if you were, i'd say iwata turned the ship around & brought them record profits. 3DS stumbled & bounced back, WU might currently be stumbling in some territories but the "FIRE IWATA" camp (again, fortunately this seems to be a minority around here) is both quick on the gun and slow on the logic/reasons for such a claim

Iwata's "turned the ship around" and "record profits" were just temporary moments. Iwata also made Nintendo loose money for the first time in it's history last year and probably will loose again in the end of this fiscal year.

If you analyse the situation as a long-term strategy, Iwata's decisions were negative for Nintendo. Not supporting online (something Nintendo could easily have done with the GameCube, hell, even with N64 if the DD expansion was successful), abandoning the hardware race (a major reason why Wii had a shortage of third-party support and, consequently, lost of interest from gamers), 3DS overprice, huge of amount of shovelware and low quality titles for Wii, Nintendo shifting the core audience for casuals. It's no secret why Wii U is not selling. These decisions made gamers lost their trust into Nintendo products. Like AzaK said above, gamers left Nintendo.

Iwata has a major deal of responsability into this. He made several quotes along this years reflecting every change of direction he made for Nintendo.

Here's a quote from him circa 2004 and his disdain for online gaming:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/iwata-customers-do-not-want-online-games-6102100

Customers do not want online games. During the year-end shopping season last year, none of the online games succeeded. All the games that sold well were off-line games. Game companies now find it difficult to make online game businesses successful, and their enthusiasm for them is cooling.

and his quote from last year confirms Nintendo can't manage to do a PSN/XBL level network:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...e-too-far-developed-for-nintendo-to-catch-up/

I think that what we see in terms of online gaming networks on existing dedicated gaming platforms is not particularly well suited to the approach Nintendo has taken, therefore, I can't sit here and say to you that we can very quickly overcome or catch up to other companies, which began to work in the online field from many years ago and have been building these online networks on other platforms, and I don't think that would be a smart strategy, either.

Again, in 2004, he made quotes against hardware specs increasing:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/09/12/igncubes-nintendo-revolution-faq?page=2

The rule of satisfying customers by increasing specifications worked once, but no longer applies now. Today's consoles already offer fairly realistic expressions so simply beefing up the graphics will not let most of us see a difference.

Okay, Mr. Iwata, I can't see no graphical difference between PS2/Xbox/GC and PS3/360 at all, indeed. He still believes that improving graphics isn't noticeable in his last year interview:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-now-on-to-compete-over-graphics-7936301.html

But I think it will become increasingly difficult from now on to compete over graphics. This is because that no matter how much we increase the number of polygons we can display and improve the shading it will become increasingly difficult to tell the difference.

This is an interview from him circa 2002, shortly before his replacement over Yamauchi. Yes, Iwata DID said this.

http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nintendo_gamecube_famitsu_iwata_interview.htm

Frequently, developers use our platforms solely for their own self-interests, so it's hard to form management relationships.

This match his quote from last year saying this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)#.UOeaenca58E

I don't think it would be an appropriate course of action for Nintendo to get into a battle with a company like Microsoft over the cost or the expense of trying to go head to head in a situation to try to obtain exclusive rights.

In 2010, Alchemist's boss made a statement regarding Nintendo issues with third-parties:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23621978#post23621978

1. Repeat manufacture starts from X thousand units.
Say your game is more popular than you expected (or you were a little too "safe" with first run numbers). If you decide to manufacture more copies, Nintendo says you must start with X thousand (the X is secret because of NDA). Other hardware manufacturers start at 100. There's a massive risk involved for smaller publishers, in particular, here.

2. Manufacture turnaround time is 3-4 weeks.
In the case of DS games, it takes Nintendo 3-4 weeks to manufacture a second run of carts. Other hardware manufacturers have a one week turnaround. When your game is selling like hot cakes, you can understand the need to get extra units out quickly. Nintendo, apparently, doesn't.

3. Manufacturing costs have to be paid 100% upfront
Other hardware manufacturers are not mentioned here, but the example is given that "let's say it costs 1000 yen per unit to manufacture" (actual cost depends on cart size), and if a game is expected to be a big hit and sell 1 million units, that's 1 billion yen that has to be paid upfront. That's a ridiculous amount and causes a bit of a headache as far as company capital goes. He suggests reducing it to 1/3 upfront payment, to ease the problem.

4. Nintendo could try to help with TV advertising
Right now, Nintendo is sponsoring a lot of TV shows via advertising. It would be a good opportunity for Nintendo to sub-let advertising, at a reasonable price (thanks cvxfreak) to third parties during these programmes.

Isn't hard to deduce the reason on why Nintendo has difficulties (?) regarding third-party support. In 2011, he regreted the lack of Wii third-party support:

http://www.t3.com/news/iwata-regrets-lack-of-wii-third-party-support

I now regret that we didn't tie up with someone outside the company to market the Wii. If we had done that, the fate of the Wii might have been different. Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future.

And last year he admits abandoning core audience for casual gamers was a mistake.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...stake-in-abandoning-core-audience-for-casual/

The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit. However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result we could not sustain a good level of profit.

Sorry, Iwata's defenders, even the man himself admitted doing this was a mistake, no matter how many profits it generated. In the end, this happened:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ts-first-annual-loss-in-companys-history.html

The Japanese games giant saw a loss of 37.3 billion yen (£284 million) due to declining Wii sales and poor 3DS performance.

People give props for Iwata because of DS's success, but, it wasn't his idea. Takashi Tezuka revealed it was Hiroshi Yamauchi the man who brought DS's idea, not Iwata.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/105024/exclusive-nintendo-ds-is-hiroshi-yamauchis-legacy/

Essentially the way it worked out is that, the former President and CEO of NCL Hiroshi Yamauchi threw out the idea: 'What if we had a dual screen?' And so it wasn't like an order, more of a suggestion. From that point of time, we decided we wanted to come up with an entirely new way of playing games; we wanted to revolutionise the way games are played.

This reports indicates Wii U was intentionally made to be underpowered in order to maximize investor's profits.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-09-wii-u-may-retail-for-USD300

Cutting production costs to maximize profits is Nintendo's main concern with the Wii U. They are cutting costs in the Wii U's hardware to build back confidence in investors. Nintendo wants investors to view Wii U as a less risky proposition. Nintendo chose an economical GPU and CPU that could keep up with the performance of today's current consoles, but keep hardware costs down to maximize profits. Nintendo got a bargain price on the custom GPU and CPU that the Wii U uses. There is a bigger focus on downloadable content, applications, video content, digital distribution, and services to create a stream of revenue. Investors will be ecstatic with the news.

According to the man himself, he's a shareholder of 5,600 shares from Nintendo. This a quote from him from the The 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/120628qa/04.html

As you have just suggested, clearly indicating our growth strategy is probably one way to look at the issue of improving our share price immediately, and speaking as a shareholder of 5,600 shares myself, I understand very well that you are dissatisfied with Nintendo’s current stock price.

There are complaints about Wii U getting a weak GPU and CPU, so if they were intentionally made to be weak in order to increase profits, Iwata's probably had his personal gains in mind for this decision.

All of these are enough reasons to believe Iwata should leave his office.

Meelow

Banned
Listen to him.

Iwata's "turned the ship around" and "record profits" were just temporary moments. Iwata also made Nintendo loose money for the first time in it's history last year and probably will loose again in the end of this fiscal year.

If you analyse the situation as a long-term strategy, Iwata's decisions were negative for Nintendo. Not supporting online (something Nintendo could easily have done with the GameCube, hell, even with N64 if the DD expansion was successful), abandoning the hardware race (a major reason why Wii had a shortage of third-party support and, consequently, lost of interest from gamers), 3DS overprice, huge of amount of shovelware and low quality titles for Wii, Nintendo shifting the core audience for casuals. It's no secret why Wii U is not selling. These decisions made gamers lost their trust into Nintendo products. Like AzaK said above, gamers left Nintendo.

Iwata has a major deal of responsability into this. He made several quotes along this years reflecting every change of direction he made for Nintendo.

and his quote from last year confirms Nintendo can't manage to do a PSN/XBL level network:

Again, in 2004, he made quotes against hardware specs increasing:

Okay, Mr. Iwata, I can't see no graphical difference between PS2/Xbox/GC and PS3/360 at all, indeed. He still believes that improving graphics isn't noticeable in his last year interview:

This is an interview from him circa 2002, shortly before his replacement over Yamauchi. Yes, Iwata DID said this.

This match his quote from last year saying this:

In 2010, Alchemist's boss made a statement regarding Nintendo issues with third-parties:

Isn't hard to deduce the reason on why Nintendo has difficulties (?) regarding third-party support. In 2011, he regreted the lack of Wii third-party support:

And last year he admits abandoning core audience for casual gamers was a mistake.

Sorry, Iwata's defenders, even the man himself admitted doing this was a mistake, no matter how many profits it generated. In the end, this happened:

People give props for Iwata because of DS's success, but, it wasn't his idea. Takashi Tezuka revealed it was Hiroshi Yamauchi the man who brought DS's idea, not Iwata.

This reports indicates Wii U was intentionally made to be underpowered in order to maximize investor's profits.

According to the man himself, he's a shareholder of 5,600 shares from Nintendo. This a quote from him from the The 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders.

There are complaints about Wii U getting a weak GPU and CPU, so if they were intentionally made to be weak in order to increase profits, Iwata's probably had his personal gains in mind for this decision.

All of these are enough reasons to believe Iwata should leave his office.

Isn't everyone saying the GPU actually pretty good? (or at least the Wii U's strong point)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm not sure Iwata should leave office. The main reason is that there is no one even remotely as capable as him at Nintendo. Unless you just bring up some auditor or financial executive to just turn the tables.

I think it is mainly the entire Board of Directors (Miyamoto, Takeda, etc) that collectively have made some very short-sighted decisions for a company that relies on an entire world wide marketshare for all people, all sizes, all tastes. There just needs to be balance in the company. More ubiquity. I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

Erethian

I'd take the notion of Iwata stepping down more seriously if Microsoft or Sony had in any way developed profitable, long-term business strategies for their gaming divisions. If your argument is "Nintendo should be more like Microsoft/Sony in how they approach the console business", that's a pretty horrendously terrible idea unless you just want to see Nintendo go out of business.

I could at least understand the criticism if we're talking about how Nintendo is responding to smartphone/tablet gaming.

farnham

Banned
I'm not sure Iwata should leave office. The main reason is that there is no one even remotely as capable as him at Nintendo. Unless you just bring up some auditor or financial executive to just turn the tables.

I think it is mainly the entire Board of Directors (Miyamoto, Takeda, etc) that collectively have made some very short-sighted decisions for a company that relies on an entire world wide marketshare for all people, all sizes, all tastes. There just needs to be balance in the company. More ubiquity. I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

Just get an external guy. With a financial background.
I'd take the notion of Iwata stepping down more seriously if Microsoft or Sony had in any way developed profitable, long-term business strategies for their gaming divisions. If your argument is "Nintendo should be more like Microsoft/Sony in how they approach the console business", that's a pretty horrendously terrible idea unless you just want to see Nintendo go out of business.

I could at least understand the criticism if we're talking about how Nintendo is responding to smartphone/tablet gaming.

that seems to be what the industry wants

markot

Banned
If iwata was interested in his personal profit he would buy some stock, announce Mario iOS, and sell as Nintendo stock hits a record high.

farnham

Banned
If iwata was interested in his personal profit he would buy some stock, announce Mario iOS, and sell as Nintendo stock hits a record high.

I think mario ios would lead to a stock crash not an increase.

Also insider trading is prohibited?

scitek

With the way things are changing now, what would the chances be that Nintendo might adopt a strategy more akin to that of a typical electronics manufacturer where they might release a new, more powerful version of the same device with new features every couple of years, or even possibly annually?

If they aren't willing to ever put their franchises on anything else, and they're planning on sticking around, I don't see how they'll be able to be successful in the long term without a significant change, because I don't think consoles as we have known them for the past 30 years will be around past this coming generation.

Yes because making it a loud power guzzler to satisfy the terrible idiot-king nerds of gaming "journalism" is so much butter for everybody.

IrishNinja

pretty good post TreasureHunter, i take back what i said prior - but i do take umbrage with bits of it.

...abandoning the hardware race (a major reason why Wii had a shortage of third-party support and, consequently, lost of interest from gamers), 3DS overprice, huge of amount of shovelware and low quality titles for Wii, Nintendo shifting the core audience for casuals. It's no secret why Wii U is not selling. These decisions made gamers lost their trust into Nintendo products. Like AzaK said above, gamers left Nintendo.

1) i don't think it can be stressed enough that, again, Nintendo watched the hardware race all but kill their biggest competitor (sega had bigger problems granted, but certainly a factor) and hemorrhage their next largest one (sony) until they went from being on top to struggling for 3rd.

the GC was, as you said, the last real attempt in said race, and it did abysmally poor. they started developing laterally - focusing on input vs specs - and did better than ever. what CEO wouldn't want to emulate this?
2) "shovelware on wii" is true but that's true of many high-selling systems, PS1 & 2 were loaded with them
3) growing the market is never a bad thing, though i'd agree devs caught with their pants down & not able to capitalize on the wii's userbase was a problem. lower specs were one thing, a unique control design was another. i assume iwata figured they'd be more on board this gen with the figures they put up from last, but that might not pan out.
4) how did "gamers leave nintendo" if the wii sold tremendously more than the GC did?

i'd tend to agree with him in '04; online wasn't a big part of the PS2's success in any real way. it didn't hurt the xbox at all, but it wasn't a huge sell that gen. also, i don't believe iwata was the only one downplaying online at that point, correct me if im wrong but wasn't yamanuichi not really concerned with it for the GC either?

you've got some other choice quotes as well, but some are nearly a decade old, and others are the kind've "hindsight = 20/20"; if you're to make a case that iwata should be replaced - again following the tremendous successes that were the DS & Wii - why not use more recent stuff like 3DS and early WU quotes? if i'm not mistaken, a number of your older quotes reference actions iwata has spoken on more recently trying to change in an attempt to reach out to more 3rd parties.

AzaK

Yes because making it a loud power guzzler to satisfy the terrible idiot-king nerds of gaming "journalism" is so much butter for everybody.

Yup it is better for all. 50W is not a power guzzler and could have provided enough grunt to have made launch games noticeably better looking (even if it was just framerate and res) than 360/PS3. This in turn gets people excited and gets them talking about the console which leads to hype and sales. Instead they released something that has its launch games looking just like we've been looking at for the last several years. This causes people to generally go 'meh'.

This increase in power wouldn't need to break the bank even though it would be more of an initial loss. Then they could work towards cost reduction later. In the end it's not evil to generate most of your profit from software.

They lost the general 'core' gamer with Wii and had the chance to get back some of the biggest spending consumers with Wii U but they just repeated themselves.

abandoning the hardware race (a major reason why Wii had a shortage of third-party support and, consequently, lost of interest from gamers),

NES: 62 million units worldwide
SNES: 49 million units worldwide
N64: 33 million units worldwide
GC: 22 million worldwide
Wii: 97 million worldwide

Does this make it clear why Nintendo abandoned the hardware race?

Investment in large leaps of console ability had led to significant decline in hardware sales, and thus software sales - which are Nintendo's bread and butter.

Like it or not, the change in strategy that lead to the Wii very likely saved Nintendo. Is it any wonder that strategy would continue to resonate in the management of the company?

squid

I don't know too much about sales, but a failure on the level of GC (22 million) is highly unlikely, right?

ugoo18

I don't know too much about sales, but a failure on the level of GC (22 million) is highly unlikely, right?

Not with how big the gaming industry is now. If it's true about the WiiU selling 2.2 million consoles so far and it's just been out for 48 or so days if my dates are correct then i find it highly unlikely that it would only manage to move 20 million or so more units in it's entire lifetime.

It's too soon to tell. It doesn't feel possible given the current power of Nintendo's franchises. Some of them are serious system sellers (like Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Mario Kart) and given the strong mindshare of the Wii brand.

But who can know?

Nilaul

Not with how big the gaming industry is now. If it's true about the WiiU selling 2.2 million consoles so far and it's just been out for 48 or so days if my dates are correct then i find it highly unlikely that it would only manage to move 20 million or so more units in it's entire lifetime.

Even with 20 million Nintendo would profit, so... Anyway Don't you know that Nintendo is doomed no mater what? (even if it sells... 150 million WiiU)

ugoo18

Even with 20 million Nintendo would profit, so... Anyway Don't you know that Nintendo is doomed no mater what? (even if it sells... 150 million WiiU)

They are already profiting aren't they?

Didn't Reggie say that any loss they took on the WiiU would be rectified by the sale of just 1 game or something like that.

Nilaul

They are already profiting aren't they?

Didn't Reggie say that any loss they took on the WiiU would be rectified by the sale of just 1 game or something like that.

A few people might had not brought a game yet, especially the people who own the Pro. It took me nearly a month to buy MarioU because of the prices. I was happy with WiiU and Zombi U pro bundle before.

The question is do all console bundles produce a loss? Or is it only the basic?

farnham

Banned
NES: 62 million units worldwide
SNES: 49 million units worldwide
N64: 33 million units worldwide
GC: 22 million worldwide
Wii: 97 million worldwide

Does this make it clear why Nintendo abandoned the hardware race?

Investment in large leaps of console ability had led to significant decline in hardware sales, and thus software sales - which are Nintendo's bread and butter.

Like it or not, the change in strategy that lead to the Wii very likely saved Nintendo. Is it any wonder that strategy would continue to resonate in the management of the company?

If nintendo would have continued the hardware race they would be out of the hardware race already. HD games cost more to develop, third parties would not have ported games on their HD console (as evident with the wiiu).. It would have been the final nail in the coffin for nintendo

Top Bottom