• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

Himself

I don't know much about Nintendo's structure but will this in any way affect the team that works on Zelda? Please say yes...

Oersted

I don't know much about Nintendo's structure but will this in any way affect the team that works on Zelda? Please say yes...

+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Most likely

AzaK

Hmmm...

*Googles Takashi Tezuka to see the list of games he worked on*

ibjkljZMYIf19m.gif
I'd never heard of him but Christ, what a resume!

Vibed

Always baffling to see how many people have never heard of Tezuka. He was only the lead behind some of Nintendo's best games...geez. He 1-ups Miyamoto half the time, creating the 3 Day system in Majora's Mask and writing it as well as pushing for the storybook in Galaxy.

EDIT: And now I look stupid mixing up names...Though still, many people forget him too. That's probably why I mixed them up.

Yeah that's definitely why

Always baffling to see how many people have never heard of Tezuka. He was only the lead behind some of Nintendo's best games...geez. He 1-ups Miyamoto half the time, creating the 3 Day system in Majora's Mask and writing it as well as pushing for the storybook in Galaxy.

............Those are all some of Yoshiaki Koizumi's achievements, not tezuka's

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Uh....

Antioch

You know, a Western EAD who would handle 1080, Wave Race, Geist, Eternal Darkness and new IPs would be pretty cool.

Azure J

I would be so down for an EAD New York if they didn't hire like Jesus tier talent compared to us regular laymen. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Brawl was terrible, thus why I don't understand the love. As for KI I haven't played that seeing as I don't have a 3DS.

People love Melee and also the first SSB. Brawl was a disappointment, but he's still 2/3 so far.

Oh, and I hear KI supposedly doesn't suck either.

Ezalc

People love Melee and also the first SSB. Brawl was a disappointment, but he's still 2/3 so far.

Oh, and I hear KI supposedly doesn't suck either.

Hm I suppose so, but after seeing what he did with a time and an actual budget and then getting Brawl, it was just a huge disappointment. I don't see why he's being held as the second coming or something.

He makes critically acclaimed games that people generally like?

Or do you mean to say "I don't like this person's games, how does anyone?!"

Brawl was pretty widely disliked given how much he had to work with, don't know about KI. The thing is I don't think he has the same level of talent as a bunch of others mentioned here Miyamoto, Tezuka, Koizumi, etc yet people seem to regard him as such when he seems pretty average to me.

PhantomR

Banned

Yeah....which sucked balls. Good thing Miyamoto-San brought the reins back in for Galaxy 2...which was a ridiculously superior product on so many levels :p

Tezuka is Luke Skywalker. Miyamoto is Yoda. Recognize.

Christ, Retro's website is horrible and outdated. I have yet to work on webpages in any of my classes but I could do a better job than that.

Can't believe people actually think Brawl was a terrible game. I can understand dissapointed but thinking it's a terrible game is just...I can't wrap my head around the idea

The thing I like most about Sakurai is, well, his energy. All of his games are filled with booming, shaking, pounding, energetic gameplay. Even the general presentation of the menus and whatnot are filled to the brim with the Sakurai energy.

His games also happen to be very good, but I don't really like him for his games as much. If he really does end up at EAD Tokyo, it'll just be too much awesome to handle.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Oh, for fuck' sake... Firstly, this restructuring, if true, would have absolutely jack shit to do with dev/pub "contempt". See Kaijima's post.

Kaijima post makes sense. Nintendo has a huge catalogue of I.P's they can draw upon...so ofcourse the main focus is to try and create as much software and as efficiently as possible. I never said otherwise...what I did say was that I believe there is other reasons too such as third party developers and publisher not being reliable enough to make an effort on Nintendo platforms. I do not see anything wrong with that statement...

Secondly, do yourself a favor and stop entertaining thoughts of embarrassingly hyperbolic nonsense such as "pubs/devs holding Nintendo in contempt". It's stupidly disingenuous. Third parties made a lot of great games on the Wii, just not the ones that have appeared on the 360/PS3/PC (for reasons that, for some reason, are not obvious to you). And for the devs/pubs that aren't already on the Nintendo boat, they're satisfied with the HD twins/PC revenue streams. You can make a point that they are potentially (important operating term here) leaving money on the table. That would be because of questionable business acumen, not some asinine conspiracy theory. As budgets increase - as the money brought in by said audience no longer cuts it - they're going to have to stop ignoring Nintendo systems (at some point, at least) now that they have adequately modern hardware.

Where did I ask or expect 360/PS3/PC ports?

It's not hyperbole...it's the truth.

Only a handful of developers and publishers made an effort to make good/decent games on the Wii. Miyamoto even called them out in a Newsweek interview with N'Gai Croal. GAF thread at the time for you to read. Notice the date...

The fact is that the Wii ended up being a wasteland because developers and publishers treated the platform like a dumping ground for their shovelware. Look at this stuff. It's horrible horrible software and you want to say I'm being hyperbolic? Riiiight!

Those developers and publishers wouldn't dare put this stuff out on the PS3/360...but they happily took a shit on the Wii...and you know why? Because they think they're above having to put out good/decent games on a Nintendo system. i.e contempt for Nintendo.

udivision

Can't believe people actually think Brawl was a terrible game. I can understand dissapointed but thinking it's a terrible game is just...I can't wrap my head around the idea

Brawl 1-upped Melee in everything but the gameplay... and to a lot of people that's the only thing that mattered. Definitely not a bad game tough.

Dr.Hadji

Brawl was pretty widely disliked given how much he had to work with, don't know about KI. The thing is I don't think he has the same level of talent as a bunch of others mentioned here Miyamoto, Tezuka, Koizumi, etc yet people seem to regard him as such when he seems pretty average to me.

No it isn't. Don't let the overly loud Melee fan base fool you into believing this.

EAD New York, EAD Atlanta, EAD Austin, EAD Los Angelos, EAD Chicago, EAD Vancouver, and
EAD New Orleans
. YESSS to all plz :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
EAD Savannah.

It's gorgeous here and they could pull a Digipen/NST and recruit from SCAD graduates.

Top Bottom