• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save Net Neutrality, July 12th, 2017

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Too bad im not american, otherwise i would sign that form in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure what the repercussions are for trying to be involved in this but I think something that non-US habitants need to be aware of is how this affects businesses and startups. Some of the companies that we interact with today is because they started as a startup without having the internet go against them. Netflix is a good example. Netflix isn't a service limited to just the US. It's used worldwide. This is only one example. What happens here can greatly affect the world and slow down innovation immensely.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Netflix and Twitch have banners on their front pages about this. Wish Amazon and Twitter did as well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This thread needs a lot more attention. Would be nice to see it pinned on the forums

I agree. This can affect how powerful movements can be in the future and how organized they can be. Imagine if the internet was regulated to the point where people couldn't voice an outcry on the net about the Paris agreement. This NEEDS more visibility. And not just from people living in the US.

wwm0nkey

I agree. This can affect how powerful movements can be in the future and how organized they can be. Imagine if the internet was regulated to the point where people couldn't voice an outcry on the net about the Paris agreement. This NEEDS more visibility. And not just from people living in the US.

100% with you on that. Hopefully this is pinned or something by the end of the day

More attention, who wants NeoGAF to load slower? If you don't, sign this damn thing.

Anybody know how the phone thing works? I didn't do it because I'm at work.

TotalBiscuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88BU3kjZ-c&feature=youtu.be (I've not watched it yet, but it's on the frontpage of reddit)

Last Week Tonight Saga;

Net Neutrality back in 2014; The Human Dingo

Net Neutrality update; Go FFC yourself

Net Neutrality 2; Taylor Swift songs by Goats

If we fuck this up, we're giving so much power to the ISPs, that upstart businesses, and people with less access to capital will be stacked against them. It will affect non-profits, innovation, competition and just disenfranchise voices from being heard.

This is a massive massive threat the democratic internet.

Necrovex

I sent the email, but who do we call to make a formal statement about net neutrality? Is it both the senators and the house rep?

squall23

Americans need to get this right. I don't want that shit to come up here to Canada when the CRTC can use you guys as "evidence for change".

TotalBiscuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88BU3kjZ-c&feature=youtu.be (I've not watched it yet, but it's on the frontpage of reddit)

Last Week Tonight Saga;

Net Neutrality back in 2014; The Human Dingo

Net Neutrality update; Go FFC yourself

Net Neutrality 2; Taylor Swift songs by Goats

If we fuck this up, we're giving so much power to the ISPs, that upstart businesses, and people with less access to capital will be stacked against them. It will affect non-profits, innovation, competition and just disenfranchise voices from being heard.

This is a massive massive threat the democratic internet.

Cheers, I added this to the OP.

I wasn't sure if the letter went through, so I think I submitted it twice.

I hope they don't think I'm a bot. :(

Don't worry about that. Comcast and others have been using bots to make it seem like people are in favor already.

I sent the email, but who do we call to make a formal statement about net neutrality? Is it both the senators and the house rep?

Yes, you should absolutely cal your senators and house rep about this issue. Even though the FCC is the one deciding, they absolutely have an impact on the decision too.

I'm at the point I did my part and sent in my comments when the FCC was asking for public opinion after the John Olliver special.

Then I see information from Comcast customers HAPPENS to be released and a company HAPPENS to be posting fake comments on the FCC site pro-net neutrality, and then the FCC is like "Well clearly every comment is bad"

These guys are going to do what they want to do regardless of public opinion because they are aware of what public opinion is. They just don't care. They want to suck cable companies' collective dicks.

This thread needs to be pinned for the day or something. The lack of awareness on Net Neutrality this late in the game is alarming.

Filled out the form, and I'll be calling/posting on social media today.

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0.jpg

I do appreciate this picture because it provides an easy illustration of what a future without net neutrality would look like, but I also kind of hate it because it touches on, in my opinion, such a small part of why a world without Net Neutrality would be a terrifying one.

The much larger impact of a world without Net Neutrality would be a political one. There would be a MUCH more controlled and restricted amount of information that would be allowed to reach the masses. Sites like Wikileaks (love or hate them) would no longer be able to pop up. "News" websites would be only websites that are approved by your ISP. Lobbying and corruption between ISPs and government would be a terrifying prospect, essentially potentially allowing propaganda to fill our newly closed-off internet.

A future without net neutrality is a future where the average citizen can be much more easily controlled, manipulated, lied to, fed misinformation and filled with propaganda. It's one large step into a future that would open up the doors for fascism and dictatorships.

Yes, having to pay more to be able to play games or access Netflix would suck, but I think the majority of people are missing the bigger picture here.

Fight for the Future is great at spreading the word.

Do these letters actually submit back to the FCC and representatives based on district info (zip) though? Also, that phone number requirement is going to turn lots of people off, if in fact it's required. I couldn't get the form to submit on my end either way.

Fight for the Future is great at spreading the word.

Do these letters actually submit back to the FCC and representatives based on district info (zip) though? Also, that phone number requirement is going to turn lots of people off, if in fact it's required. I couldn't get the form to submit on my end either way.

Yeah, their system autosubmits based off of zip to reps and FCC from my understanding. Their system might be getting overloaded right now.

Phone call is not required. You can just cancel that part.

Shauni

I've done all I really could about it, but I'm sort of expecting the worst at this point. The head FCC guy is anti-net neutrality and is in the pocket of the ISPs, and the other GOP seat seems to either not care, or may be compromised. It's going to be a depressing, depressing day when the final decision comes down.

Unfortunately, I don't think this movement today will affect Pai's decision.

Now, what comes AFTER Pai's decision on the other hand...

When rights are taken away, it's very hard to get them back. There's no kind of guarantee net neutrality will be re-instated once Pai goes, especially since the ISPs pushing for this will be further entrenched in their position and have more money to pump into both parties.

Sulik2

What is sad is that unless this day involved giving Ajit Pai a whole bunch more bribe money then the ISP industry is already giving him it will accomplish nothing. They don't care about how the people feel about Net Neutrality, they care about who is lining their pockets to kill it.

Yeah, their system autosubmits based off of zip to reps and FCC from my understanding. Their system might be getting overloaded right now.

Phone call is not required. You can just cancel that part.

I wasn't even aware that you could actually auto-submit through to the FCC, though I had heard on the grapevine that Congress had somewhat recently made public an API for their webforms (since most do not have publicly available email addresses after SOPA).

Going to keep trying until it submits regardless. FftF is AOK in my book.

I'm at the point I did my part and sent in my comments when the FCC was asking for public opinion after the John Olliver special.

Then I see information from Comcast customers HAPPENS to be released and a company HAPPENS to be posting fake comments on the FCC site pro-net neutrality, and then the FCC is like "Well clearly every comment is bad"

These guys are going to do what they want to do regardless of public opinion because they are aware of what public opinion is. They just don't care. They want to suck cable companies' collective dicks.

If there is anything that can be learned from NRA it's that a disciplined group of individuals can have a massive impact. John Oliver covered this himself. Because NRA members don't just do their part one time. They are there today. Tomorrow, next week, and at every single proposal.
They have radar websites that flag any legislation related to anything revolving guns.

And that is why a 3 million member group is able to overpass and overstep the rest of the country.
You can not say that these people are sleeping on it. When something is important enough, you'll never give up.
I worry we don't know how dangerous this is.

I can already see this being used to slow down services for political gain. The lobbying is deeply enfranchised with the telecom companies and congress, and there is a clear link between anti-consumer behavior, increased profit and the amount of lobbying in washington.

I'm guessing fox news and breitbart will be the only websites available at the lowest service tier if this passes. I hope eventually there is some better replacement for transmission of information and communication than this swampy version of the internet.

Shauni

If there is anything that can be learned from NRA it's that a disciplined group of individuals can have a massive impact. John Oliver covered this himself. Because NRA members don't just do their part one time. They are there today. Tomorrow, next week, and at every single proposal.
They have radar websites that flag any legislation related to anything revolving guns.

And that is why a 3 million member group is able to overpass and overstep the rest of the country.
You can not say that these people are sleeping on it. When something is important enough, you'll never give up.
I worry we don't know how dangerous this is.

I can already see this being used to slow down services for political gain. The lobbying is deeply enfranchised with the telecom companies and congress, and there is a clear link between anti-consumer behavior, increased profit and the amount of lobbying in washington.

Your NRA analogy doesn't work, because the NRA also has deep pockets and funnels massive amounts of money into Congress. No one is doing that for Net Neutrality, at least no one that I'm aware of. If anything, I expect the ISP to spend massive amounts to keep it dead once it's axed.

Top Bottom