• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

If part 3 of Catherine doesn't pick up I'm definitely dropping this LP. It's definitely been a while since I've hard dropped an LP, probably something to do with me liking Catherine quite a lot.

I love Nier and that LP is great, Pat and Liam carried an entire visual novel part...

Also Matt in the Cinemassacre episode was actually really good. For some reason Matt can be pretty good when not trying to in-joke/reference every 2 minutes, shocking?

Actually in fairness, when they start talking real about relationships it is a very interesting listen. So the Catherine LP has that. Matt being a newly married man and the Zaibatsu having general relationship experience gives them some insight.
Including that little tidbit of Matt's 8 year relationship.

If the Catherine LP was more this, and less 'that' I'd be really down with this.

Choice Woolie quote of the day:

"If it weren't for the artstyle, and the amazing music, and a billion other things, you wouldn't think this game was Japanese."

Professional commentary

Gestahl

Maybe one day I'll a open a SBF video and there won't be massive audio desync and petulant infighting about fighting game shit I can't possibly, nor will ever choose to try to, understand but it seems dawn has not yet risen in 2016

You can tell Woolie's a true Canadian(/North American Russian) by his response to Matt talking about the horror game. "Yeah, but then I'd just keep on driving."

You can't use existential horror on Canadians because they just assume there's horrible godless things lurking just out of sight in the countryside, and as long as they're slightly farther away than walking distance it's 'K.

I am so behind SBFC that I just finished the E3 episode. :(

I need to sit down with a game like Diablo 3 and just get up to speed with the episodes.

i have no idea why Pat of all people is complaining about grinding a massive amount of Overwatch ranked wins for cosmetics.

It's Blizzard.

He obsessively plays FFXIV.

Woolie's story about picking strawberries was so great.

Note: I'm black as well and the moment he started I thought to myself there's going to be a bit in here about being black and picking cotton I just know it.

i have no idea why Pat of all people is complaining about grinding a massive amount of Overwatch ranked wins for cosmetics.

It's Blizzard.

Having played both and a number of other games that require grinding, Overwatch grinding doesn't feel as fun. You have to pay way more attention to the game, so doing it as a way to relax is of the table. Getting easy to serious about it makes it very unpleasant when playing with randos.

For the ffxiv and other mmo's, when you are grinding you can have a podcast or even a movie going at the same time. When doing these mmo grinding sessions it becomes sort of Zen like. It can be nice. You just can't get that with overwatch.

explodet

Yeah, grinding MMOs can be relaxing in PvE, whereas grinding PvP in MMOs or games like Overwatch can be exhausting if you're looking for wins each time.

Suplexer

I usually juggle two or three LPs at a time for when I'm bored after work or whatever, but I am having some trouble finding any of recent I want to stick with.

I really, really prefer blind LPs but I have watched, I think, most of their's to date...

Does anyone want to list off some personal favourites?

I usually juggle two or three LPs at a time for when I'm bored after work or whatever, but I am having some trouble finding any of recent I want to stick with.

I really, really prefer blind LPs but I have watched, I think, most of their's to date...

Off the top of my head, anything Resident Evil or Silent Hill or Sonic. Star Fox Adventures was real good, as well as Bloodborne: Old Hunters, Prison Break, and Deadly Premonition. If I remember anymore I'll add them.

Suplexer

Off the top of my head, anything Resident Evil or Silent Hill or Sonic. Star Fox Adventures was real good, as well as Bloodborne: Old Hunters, Prison Break, and Deadly Premonition. If I remember anymore I'll add them.

Sadly, I have seen probably all of these except for a spindash quick look or two, and Star Fox Adventures.

The shitty part about watching LPs is realizing you've watched most of the good ones and having to wait for more that interest you to come along.

Anung

Un Rama
Sadly, I have seen probably all of these except for a spindash quick look or two, and Star Fox Adventures.

The shitty part about watching LPs is realizing you've watched most of the good ones and having to wait for more that interest you to come along.

I've noticed I've just been re-watching a hell of a lot of good ol' LP's recently. The RE2 LP is basically a comforter right now.

Squishy3

It's Blizzard.

I'll use the current midcore trial as an example but this applies to anything in any MMO ever: It's a known quantity that you're going to win it, because it never changes and adapts to your playstyle, while you can adapt around it and it has a fixed difficulty everytime.

There's more unknown variables in playing ranked Overwatch and it can become insanely frustrating with randos in ranked that only main one character and completely suck at them, or just people who lack situational awareness in a FPS whatsoever. I've seen Reapers standing there doing NOTHING while a Widowmaker that's standing right next to them is killing them.

Like, it's the most frustrating in a FPS because in Overwatch there is only so much one person can do by themselves. It's not Quake or UT where you can always run a train on the enemy team completely by yourself if you're good enough, because if you have people who suck and keep running in and dying they're feeding ultimates to the enemy team.

One of my early competitive matches resulted in us pushing them off during overtime because I was playing Lucio and rushed us to the point so Reinhardt could land a hammer ult on 3 people and I apparently had the gall to say "Wow, we pushed them off easily" and the Reaper responds saying "We? The only names that matter are in the top right" and then he and his group of friends start circlejerking themselves over how many eliminations he had. (Which is an utterly stupid metric because finishing off a person you didn't do most of the damage to still counts as an elimination.)

Not to mention 1 competitive point or whatever it's called per match when the golden weapons require 300, there should at least be a win streak bonus for it.

Strimei

Personally, I view their Silent Hill: Downpour LP as one of, if not the, best LPs they've done.

It was the very first full LP of theirs that I had ever watched and I've since rewatched it probably close to a dozen times. Easily my favorite. It has Matt and Pat at their best and includes so many good moments, including the creation of Tour Guide Nixon and, of course, Matt and the Axe.

Edzi

Personally, I view their Silent Hill: Downpour LP as one of, if not the, best LPs they've done.

It was the very first full LP of theirs that I had ever watched and I've since rewatched it probably close to a dozen times. Easily my favorite. It has Matt and Pat at their best and includes so many good moments, including the creation of Tour Guide Nixon and, of course, Matt and the Axe.

The Matt/Pat survival horror LPs are the best things they've ever done. I don't really follow through with their LPs anymore, but those are the ones I'll always go back to.

Xux

153 episodes and this could be the first bad outro song. It's intentional, sure, but it's still impressive that Woolie has that good of track record.

Yakuza, any of the silent hills or REs, escape from bug island and CT are all pretty solid.

Xux

I think pat said they wouldn't lp it anyhere near it's launch so people'd buy it, so maybe someday.
It's working! I'm thinking of buying a PS3 for it.

Yeah, Friday Night
Scrublords
my favorite series!

Oh God, that camera. I'm about to develop motion sickness.

Edzi

Literally just finished INSIDE, and I don't think I'd agree with Pat or Matt when they say this is definitely GOTY material. Gameplay was okay, atmosphere was great, and it got you thinking, but I get the feeling that the mystique/mystery of the game is influencing most people's impressions of it.

Literally just finished INSIDE, and I don't think I'd agree with Pat or Matt when they say this is definitely GOTY material. Gameplay was okay, atmosphere was great, and it got you thinking, but I get the feeling that the mystique/mystery of the game is influencing most people's impressions of it.

high five on that, bro

it's a good game, but nowhere near my GOTY-so-far list

Top Bottom