• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

PSA

Neo Member
Ha, that blew up a bit while I wasn't looking, I'll try to do some more but in the meantime here is one that wasn't quite as slick as the ComixZone loop:

8ndWAGj.gif

Rich!

Is this really something that exists?

I know someone who has a saturn, snes, megadrive and a dreamcast

they're all 50hz and he uses RF because he doesn't want to mod them and he likes the retro feel

I tried to explain to him he is literally playing mega drive games in slow motion. he says that's how they're supposed to be

Peltz

Is this really something that exists?
Yes. Some people think old games were designed to be seen via lossy connections and in some instances, they may actually be correct.

Certain games, like Vectorman in my opinion, have art styles that sort of fall apart when viewed via a lossless connection.

I prefer RGB myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see both sides of the argument. Every game looks best under different circumstances to my eyes and there's no "one size fits all" setup for old school games.

That's what makes 240p so fascinating to me, personally. It looks so different depending on the display and connection type and there's endless ways to experiment.

For example, NeoGaf's own Mega prefers N64 over S-Video on a display with a lower amount of TV lines, and he has more high end RGB capable sets than most of us.

Timu

they're all 50hz and he uses RF because he doesn't want to mod them and he likes the retro feel

I tried to explain to him he is literally playing mega drive games in slow motion. he says that's how they're supposed to be
Ugh, who wants to play Sonic games in slow motion?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Wow, you need to invite him over to your place so that he can experience the difference.

Yes. Some people think old games were designed to be seen via lossy connections and in some instances, they may actually be correct.

Certain games, like Vectorman in my opinion, have art styles that sort of fall apart when viewed via a lossless connection.

I prefer RGB myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see both sides of the argument. Every game looks best under different circumstances to my eyes and there's no "one size fits all" setup for old school games.

That's what makes 240p so fascinating to me, personally. It looks so different depending on the display and connection type and there's endless ways to experiment.

For example, NeoGaf's own Mega prefers N64 over S-Video on a display with a lower amount of TV lines, and he has more high end RGB capable sets than most of us.

Ok, thanks for the good explanation. I guess I can see some merit to that argument, even though i dont fall in that camp at all myself.

lazygecko

Particularly lots of late era Genesis games use vertical dithering lines to give the illusion of more colors or certain effects. Those shadows in Comix Zone for instance get a transparency effect when non-linear signals smudge them together.

comixn6rhq.jpg

piggychan

That was pretty much video gaming in the UK from the first ever home entertainment system up to the ps2 era where everything was like 17.5% slower and squashed into a letterbox format.

andrewcounty

Neo Member
Hello all. I love this thread and have been wanting to post some pics but had to wait an eternity to get my sign-up approved.

I have two 36" CRTs that are really showing their age with the color getting washed out. One is a Sony Trinitron WEGA and the other is a run-of-the-mill Admiral.

Last year I finally switched over to the XRGB-mini to use on my Sony 65" W950B and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the scanlines look decent, but they seem a little bit too dark, so if anyone has any experience getting the scanlines to look better I'd appreciate the feed back.

IMG_1279_zps1mkdio8w.jpg

IMG_1273_zpskp1ide5c.jpg

IMG_1269_zpssasyodjl.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsma1qdphc.jpg

IMG_1275_zps7loait7m.jpg

piggychan

ooo Radiant Silvergun !

I think they look fine.

Yokai Dochuki, this was also known as Tale of the Monster Path in the UK many years ago. I was hoping to take more pics further into the game but sometimes it gets too frustrating. One of the early pc engine games that sold me on those graphics and oriental settings however the gameplay is punishing.

yokai1.jpg

yokai2.jpg

yokai3.jpg

Mega

Banned

To be clear, I would prefer if the monitor had RGB, but it doesn't... S-video is the best it can do. Even so, it still produces a better N64 image than the more advanced RGB monitors I own.

These are phone pics, so the colors are a little off and muted.

OOT on Gamecube is nice too. GC Component, 480p HD CRT. It gains very nice clarity but also exposes some of the low res assets in an ugly way (although not as badly as emulation on a HDTV would do). Either way, it looks better than the usual blurry 240p RGB N64 PQ I would get on this same monitor.

piggychan

A bunch of pc engine shots

Devil Crash/Crush
devil1.jpg

Gotzendiener
gotzen1.jpg

Mizubaku Daibouken/Liquid Kids
mizubaku.jpg

Don Doko Don
dondoko1.jpg

Parasol Stars
parasol1.jpg

Space Harrier
space1.jpg

Legend of Hero Tomna
tomna1.jpg

PC Denjin/Air Zonk
airz1.jpg

Peltz

Hello all. I love this thread and have been wanting to post some pics but had to wait an eternity to get my sign-up approved.

I have two 36" CRTs that are really showing their age with the color getting washed out. One is a Sony Trinitron WEGA and the other is a run-of-the-mill Admiral.

Last year I finally switched over to the XRGB-mini to use on my Sony 65" W950B and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the scanlines look decent, but they seem a little bit too dark, so if anyone has any experience getting the scanlines to look better I'd appreciate the feed back.

IMG_1279_zps1mkdio8w.jpg

IMG_1273_zpskp1ide5c.jpg

IMG_1269_zpssasyodjl.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsma1qdphc.jpg

IMG_1275_zps7loait7m.jpg

These fake scan lines look weird. Are they being drawn on the wrong pixels or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Make sure you're setting the xrgb to 720p output and that your HDTV isn't overscanning or underscanning the image.

Edit:

A bunch of pc engine shots

*snip*

Wow. Looks super clean. Is this a CRT or an emulator?

Second edit:

Ah, missed where you mentioned that it was a BVM 9044D. Insane. Those are some of the most perfect looking CRT shots I've ever seen.

piggychan

Wow. Looks super clean. Is this a CRT or an emulator?

Second edit:

Ah, missed where you mentioned that it was a BVM 9044D. Insane. Those are some of the most perfect looking CRT shots I've ever seen.

I got a small BVM a few weeks ago it's basically this pic and I am taking the photos with an entry digital SLR. The photos have to be reduced in size on photoshop as the minimum size on my camera is 3 megapixels, and I also have to tone down the contrast and brightness as they become way too amplified on camera.
_DSC0001.jpg

EDIT

A slow and steady hand helps especially since it's better to slow down the shutter speed to reduce capturing the screen refresh

ToD_

I got a small BVM a few weeks ago it's basically this pic and I am taking the photos with an entry digital SLR. The photos have to be reduced in size on photoshop as the minimum size on my camera is 3 megapixels, and I also have to tone down the contrast and brightness as they become way too amplified on camera.

EDIT

A slow and steady hand helps especially since it's better to slow down the shutter speed to reduce capturing the screen refresh

Nice pictures! DSLRs are very useful when taking pictures of CRTs. In part because they have easy controls for shutter speed, etc. They also tend to have great dynamic range (especially in RAW format), which ensures the shadows and highlights retain their detail.

andrewcounty

Neo Member
These fake scan lines look weird. Are they being drawn on the wrong pixels or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Make sure you're setting the xrgb to 720p output and that your HDTV isn't overscanning or underscanning the image.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure it's in 720p, but I'll check the resolution and play with the over/underscan settings. I think it's hard to tell if they're being drawn on the wrong pixel or if they are just too solid black, interfering with the gap in the native TV pixels.

I also noticed there's a new firmware since the last time I checked. There's some notes about changing the way scanlines are handled so I'll upgrade from 2.00 to 2.03 and see if that makes a difference.

@piggychan
Great pics! I especially like the Air Zonk one.

@PSA
The animated gifs are quite excellent. I look forward to seeing more.

I figure I might as well throw a couple pics here. These are from from my Genesis ran through an XRGB Mini on my HDTV. First one is Outrun 2019, and second one is
Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV)
RdVb.jpg

SdVb.jpg

Peltz

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure it's in 720p, but I'll check the resolution and play with the over/underscan settings. I think it's hard to tell if they're being drawn on the wrong pixel or if they are just too solid black, interfering with the gap in the native TV pixels.

I also noticed there's a new firmware since the last time I checked. There's some notes about changing the way scanlines are handled so I'll upgrade from 2.00 to 2.03 and see if that makes a difference.

@piggychan
Great pics! I especially like the Air Zonk one.

@PSA
The animated gifs are quite excellent. I look forward to seeing more.

Try outputting at 480p as well. Scan lines should be even and clean like mattehite924's above. The amount of the HDTV's pixels between each fake scan line is the same, and the thickness of each fake scan line is also the same.

Some of your scan lines seem thinner than others (or something) which means your tv is probably slightly resizing the 720p image when scaling to 1080p. It might handle 480p output a bit better.

andrewcounty

Neo Member
Try outputting at 480p as well. Scan lines should be even and clean like mattehite924's above. The amount of the HDTV's pixels between each fake scan line is the same, and the thickness of each fake scan line is also the same.

Some of your scan lines seem thinner than others (or something) which means your tv is probably slightly resizing the 720p image when scaling to 1080p. It might handle 480p output a bit better.

I updated the firmware of the xrgb and tried loading up a few profiles from FBX. After loading up the profiles I didn't notice any improvements in the scanlines. I tried 480p, 720p, and 1080p and they all looked pretty much the same.

I gave up after a couple of hours of messing with settings.

Now I've done a little more research and I think the biggest problem is my zoom settings. I tried to get the borders aligned perfectly to the top and bottom of my TV, which isn't a properly scaled image. Tonight I'll try with a 5x scaled image and see if I can get the scanlines thicker.

Top Bottom