• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

Hope these look alright

DVEcomB.jpg

ji5cDGj.jpg

R444gZ4.jpg

EMaJuSg.jpg

andrewcounty

Neo Member
@Peltz Thanks for the 480p suggestion as I think it improved my scanlines exponentially. I'm not sure what the deal with 720p is, but when I'm in 720p I can't use int scanline settings, only dec scanline settings that all look horrible.

Here's some new screens I took with my iPhone. Sorry about the glare on the screen.

Great Battle IV on SFC
IMG_1441_zpscicchsyx.jpg

Great Battle V on SFC
IMG_1442_zpszlxyerqx.jpg

The Firemen on SFC
IMG_1448_zpshfcag2g3.jpg

Astal on Sega Saturn
IMG_1460_zps3cahbbu3.jpg

Vampire Savior on Sega Saturn
IMG_1471_zps3hoycedh.jpg

Radiant Silvergun on Sega Saturn
IMG_1482_zpsypshzago.jpg

Rich!

Something slightly different - no scanlines though, sorry.

For the time being I've moved my retro consoles into the living room. I've ordered a framemeister - which will arrive in a couple of weeks, but until then I've plugged everything into the RGB SCART socket on the back of my LG 55" HDTV (nothing unusual, every TV in the UK has RGB SCART input)

surprisingly, it upscales 240p sources quite well. Here's some shots of my rgb modded Super Famicom Jr and N64. Sorry about the flash in some of them:

img_20160724_05094188pvf.jpg

img_20160724_051121y0rdx.jpg

img_20160724_051545uyr70.jpg

img_20160724_0516312url2.jpg

img_20160724_051917kco0y.jpg

Peltz

Something slightly different - no scanlines though, sorry.

For the time being I've moved my retro consoles into the living room. I've ordered a framemeister - which will arrive in a couple of weeks, but until then I've plugged everything into the RGB SCART socket on the back of my LG 55" HDTV (nothing unusual, every TV in the UK has RGB SCART input)

surprisingly, it upscales 240p sources quite well. Here's some shots of my rgb modded Super Famicom Jr and N64. Sorry about the flash in some of them:

img_20160724_05094188pvf.jpg

img_20160724_051121y0rdx.jpg

img_20160724_051545uyr70.jpg

img_20160724_0516312url2.jpg

img_20160724_051917kco0y.jpg
Looks good, Rich. Does it all fall apart when the games are in motion though?

Rich!

Looks good, Rich. Does it all fall apart when the games are in motion though?

depends...saturn and N64 hold up really well, SNES and Mega Drive don't as well - but are still more than acceptable though.

here's a video of my mega drive running on my LG 55" hdtv, direct rgb scart input (after c sync modding the console). Excuse the shakycam:

https://youtu.be/0Y9MacU4BfE

micah

Probably not the best thread but I thought if anyone wants it you guys might.

I have a Sony PVM-2030 sitting here with zero use I'm interested in getting rid of for FREE.

I'm in AZ; hit me up via PM if interested. Includes remote. Last time I turned it on it worked.

Peltz

Probably not the best thread but I thought if anyone wants it you guys might.

I have a Sony PVM-2030 sitting here with zero use I'm interested in getting rid of for FREE.

I'm in AZ; hit me up via PM if interested. Includes remote. Last time I turned it on it worked.

I'd crosspost that in this thread.

Galdelico

Some pics from Zero Wing

I miss so much the retro anime look in nowadays games

Amazing shots.
Do you mind me asking which Trinitron is that and if you can share your service menu settings (if you ever tweaked them, of course)? I own a 21" too, so if possible I'd like to compare my settings with yours. ;)

ReyVGM

You know, I've never been interested about scanlines.

I've been gaming since the NES days, and I had a huge 27 inch TV during the SNES days, so I could really see those scanlines. But I never looked at the screen and felt the scanlines were part of the game or experience, I always saw it as something that's just endemic to TVs.

When I saw a NES game emulated on a PC monitor back in 1999, it looked crystal clear and pixel perfect, just like what I thought the game really looked in the first place.

Vespa

Thanks, the TV is a Sony Trinitron KV-21LS30E. It's not a broadcast monitor, but for a consumer TV the quality is awesome using a good RGB Scart cable.

Amazing shots.
Do you mind me asking which Trinitron is that and if you can share your service menu settings (if you ever tweaked them, of course)? I own a 21" too, so if possible I'd like to compare my settings with yours. ;)

Asked the same thing, it really is one of the best looking Trinitrons, curious what the chassis is.

Asked the same thing, it really is one of the best looking Trinitrons, curious what the chassis is.

Don't know if it's the right thread for this but here you have the chasis:

pyP699A.jpg

Amazing shots.

My service menu settings, though I have to put the finishing touches using the 240p test suite:

51eg1n8.jpg

Finally, my girlfriend played some columns 3 today and I took a shot meanwhile

nMqkVaT.jpg

What can I say? I'm a total scanlines fanboy

TeaJay

I got a new phone and decided to see if I could take a few snapshots at my games with it. Better than expected even though the G4 is advertized of having a good (cellphone) camera.

Pocky & Rocky is just a really beautiful game in motion as well.

This is probably starting to be a bit too zoomed in, but I had to try.

e: Some bonus Ninja Ruykenden pics

I got a new phone and decided to see if I could take a few snapshots at my games with it. Better than expected even though the G4 is advertized of having a good (cellphone) camera.

Pocky & Rocky is just a really beautiful game in motion as well.

This is probably starting to be a bit too zoomed in, but I had to try.

I LOVE that game, thanks for those beautiful pics

Galdelico

My service menu settings, though I have to put the finishing touches using the 240p test suite:

51eg1n8.jpg

Thanks again. ;)
I tried your settings, and unfortunately the image is quite noticeably stretched, too squeezed horizontally and too 'tall' vertically (with quite alot of overscan at the top and bottom of the screen). I guess it can only depend on the different model/tube (I own a KV21FX30B), or maybe on specific factory settings, since the service menu on my TV does have the same exact amount of settings and values as yours.

Rich!

Nothing beats retro games on a true 240p display:

tmp_31888-img_20160807xstk.jpg

tmp_31888-img_2016080q6sd4.jpg

tmp_31888-img_2016080eksi8.jpg

tmp_31888-img_201608009s3i.jpg

tmp_31888-img_20160803ysig.jpg

tmp_31888-img_20160806os51.jpg

photos taken of my New 3DS XL playing said games in 1:1 native resolution mode. The 3DS having a 240p screen can be useful!

At sixteen-bit’s request, I’m cross posting this pics from the other thread.

The TV used is my first PVM, a Sony PVM1271Q. Got it for $70 with free shipping on eBay.

The first is Pokemon Green Version running on a Super Gameboy into my Super Famicom via SCART.
Second is Link to the Past running on the same Super Famicom

Well here’s my first attempt at pics of my new Sony PVM with those sweet RGB cables you guys suggested:

Co5bqPOXYAEc25U.jpg

There’s a little of what seems like burn-in on the screen, but other than that, it looks beautiful.

Cn-scSkXEAAyqB9.jpg

The color seems way better than the RF picture I grew up with.

RedToad64

You know, I've never been interested about scanlines.

I've been gaming since the NES days, and I had a huge 27 inch TV during the SNES days, so I could really see those scanlines. But I never looked at the screen and felt the scanlines were part of the game or experience, I always saw it as something that's just endemic to TVs.

When I saw a NES game emulated on a PC monitor back in 1999, it looked crystal clear and pixel perfect, just like what I thought the game really looked in the first place.
Right. I have never been able to understand the appeal either.

KiraXD

Right. I have never been able to understand the appeal either.

From a pure artistic view... the reason for me is because the Developer specifically created images with Scanlines in mind. the Image was never MEANT to be seen without them, so things like detail, shadows, etc, make use of the scanlines to make the image look a certain way. Basically, by removing the scanlines from games, you are removing the artists original vision for how the game was supposed to look.

It seems like Youre in the mindset that things like old sprites were ever supposed to look solid and pixelated with solid color blocks touching each other... they werent, they were made and designed with lines running through and separating the pixels.

This video has really awesome examples. (it might have been posted before but i dont know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscKaVByjRU

Brhoom

Banned
Went to my college library there and the security gaurd was using maybe a 5 inch pvm, how the hell can he see with that thing?

Edit: woops wrong thread

Top Bottom