• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE & SNE merge to Sony Interactive Entertainment, HQ moving from Tokyo to California

Justified

I read that Sony is also eliminating the regional branches of SCE in the process and combining them into a single entity.
I haven't seen any confirmed statement though.
Oh well, I think it's for the better.
Bye bye SIEA/SIEE/SIEJA.

Yea the corporate tree was posted a few times in here. As you can see Layden, and Ryan are in new positions. Not sure where Atsushi Morita went

160126a_e.png

House deserves it. Does presentations well and genuinely seems excited by the successes of the PS4 when he talks about it.

I have to admit it's a little sad to see it not a Japanese based entity though. I think that added some mystique to it all. Perhaps that's just me thinking of good ol' Ken, though.

Kasper

SIE looks worse than SCE. Other than that I don't really care aside from hoping they keep the old logo, just replacing "computer" with "interactive".

Shenmue

Banned
Will this have any effect on the firmware team (or guy)? If the HQ gets moved to California does that mean they will have a US firmware team? I really hope so!!!

Boke1879

Will this have any effect on the firmware team (or guy)? If the HQ gets moved to California does that mean they will have a US firmware team? I really hope so!!!

This is something that really needs to happen. I would imagine their firmware output would greatly benefit from being based in Cali.

Heimbeck

Banned
It is clickbait, but it's pretty spot on. Japan spends almost as much as u.s on mobile but less than half the people live there compared to u.s, they really are gaming on the go. In fact, I think that's the only way for them to stay relevant going forward in Japan. Hmmm...maybe I'll make w thread about that.

What more could they do though?
They already make phones which don't seem to sell that well, so I doubt there's much more they can do.

When I first read about this it read like they were packaging PlayStation up so that it could be spun off and sold. Not so sure where I got that impression.

entremet

PlayStation is a western brand at this point.

All the showcase studios are Western and the marquee console is struggling in Japan. Japan Studio is a shell of its former self as well.

This move makes sense. PS2 days are long over.

Heimbeck

Banned
PlayStation is a western brand at this point.

All the showcase studios are Western and the marquee console is struggling in Japan. Japan Studio is a shell of its former self as well.

This move makes sense. PS2 days are long over.

Yeah, I mean I'm sure they'll still get Japanese games on PS platforms but those aren't really much of an appeal for most people.
Kind of telling when TGS shows of recent years have just shown AC and COD and so on.

Breakage

End of an era.
I'm so used to seeing SCE ever since I fired up my PS1 in 1998 and saw that sinister startup intro for the first time.

It makes sense, Sony having PS hardware and software under one roof as it should be. Better harmony and synchronization of efforts, reducing redundancies etc. I really hope it helps Sony sort out the clusterfuck that is PSN.

Nothing against Layden, but would it not have been awesome if Jackie T. came outta retirement to spearhead this new conglomerate.

8LE2JvP.jpg

My boy, Jackie T.

Boke1879

I'm assuming the best OS programmers would rather go to companies who to take OS development far more seriously rather than be working on just a games console.

But do they need "the best" so to speak. Really just need a dedicated team to pump out the basics of OS features really.

I'm assuming the best OS programmers would rather go to companies who to take OS development far more seriously rather than be working on just a games console.

That's part of it. Salaries are also highly competitive in CA. Finally, startups are in vogue so the large corporate culture can actually be a turnoff to some extent and retention can be a challenge (especially compared to Japan).

Yeah, I mean I'm sure they'll still get Japanese games on PS platforms but those aren't really much of an appeal for most people.
Kind of telling when TGS shows of recent years have just shown AC and COD and so on.

What TGS are you referring to?

Because the ones i've followed have been 90% japanese games, especially since the ps4 came out

Wow, that title is purely hyperbolic. I mean Sony's PR explicitly said that even though the HQ is moving to Cali, key operations will still run in Tokyo. And as viHuGi said, the PS4 is now tracking ahead of the PS3. Of course, that might change since the PS4 launched in February while the PS3 launched in November. However, with the amount of software the PS4 is getting this year, it should lead its predecessor.

What more could they do though?
They already make phones which don't seem to sell that well, so I doubt there's much more they can do.
I dunno, maybe sell a $150 console?

Maybe the hybrid approach that is rumored for Nintendo?

I mean, 3DS is still proof that Japanese gamers are platform agnostic, they just want something portable. So maybe PSP2 isn't such a bad idea as long as it's basically a slower/weaker/cheaper PS4.

Heimbeck

Banned
What TGS are you referring to?

Because the ones i've followed have been 90% japanese games, especially since the ps4 came out

I didn't watch the last one, but all the ones before that seemed western focused to me.
Or at least more focused on western games compared to previous years.

prwxv3

I didn't watch the last one, but all the ones before that seemed western focused to me.
Or at least more focused on western games compared to previous years.

It was nearly 95 percent Japanese stuff. Their PSX keynote had heavy Japanese presence too.

Heimbeck

Banned
It was nearly 95 percent Japanese stuff. Their PSX keynote had heavy Japanese presence too.

That's cool, it definitely got weird for a while.
I don't even know why I didn't watch it last time, maybe just because the time was in a bad spot and i never bothered to go back.

That's cool, it definitely got weird for a while.
I don't even know why I didn't watch it last time, maybe just because the time was in a bad spot and i never bothered to go back.

No, it never did.

At best, there's only like 15-20 minutes of western content at the TGS conferences for the past 3 years out of a 2 hour block.

Sure, the western parts are awkward because they're all announcements already made at E3 and not all Japanese content at each conferences are top-tier, but Japanese content ALWAYS HAD a larger presence than non- Japanese.

Top Bottom