• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE & SNE merge to Sony Interactive Entertainment, HQ moving from Tokyo to California

kennyamr

I get a strong feeling they are going to stop showing their Sony Computer Entertainment intros
hqdefault.jpg

just like they stopped putting their logos.

This made me think, maybe instead of putting "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents" they will choose something "better" like:
PlayStation presents
or
Sony presents
We will find out soon anyway :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is a huge move for Sony. What you're seeing here is the final touches to making Playstation it's own brand. The first step was to rebrand the individual branches so we got: PSVue, PSNow, PSMusic, PSMovies and PSVR. Sony are taking the Playstation business as seriously as they take the music/movie business. Good times ahead. I hope others see the exciting prospect here. Production values will be going through the roof.

Memento

This is a huge move for Sony. What you're seeing here is the final touches to making Playstation it's own brand. The first step was to rebrand the individual branches so we got: PSVue, PSNow, PSMusic, PSMovies and PSVR. Sony are taking the Playstation business as seriously as they take the music/movie business. Good times ahead. I hope others see the exciting prospect here. Production values will be going through the roof.

Lets hope so!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lets hope so!

I honestly think that's why we've had several delays. It's not that they weren't ready to ship, it was because they're production value wasn't the quality Sony want. Perhaps the UC4 situation was one small sign of the when the shake up started.

Drencrom

This made me think, maybe instead of putting "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents" they will choose something "better" like:
PlayStation presents
or
Sony presents
We will find out soon anyway :p

Yeah, if they aren't just sticking with "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" they're most likely going with something like this.

I really hope they stick with the original logo like this.

It's a shame system/networking didn't get moved around. Unless I'm mistaken. It's in desperate need of some new leadership and direction.

J-Skee

I like the idea of unified Sony, but I'll miss SCE :-(

Sony Computer Entertainment Presents means so much to me ;-(

Gotdammit! They couldn't just merge the two, but keep the SCE name? WTF? I'm never going to get used to saying SIE.

On Demand

Banned
I love the PS4 OS, if a US based team means we're gonna get a feature-creep OS with cluttered UI, then keep that team in Japan.

The PS4's OS has western ideas but implemented in Japan, and that's the problem. It makes no sense leaving everything up to the firmware team all the way over there. You have to wonder if the reason we still haven't gotten certain features is because lack of proper communication and approval. Some things are not designed very good as well.

The main team can stay in Japan, but Sony really needs a western team as well that can do these firmware updates without relying on Japan.

Sulik2

Reorganizing to get ready for the PS5 release cycle is what this sounds like to me. Hopefully this leads to them fixing PSN.

entremet

Smart move.

Sony continues to impress this generation with its business acumen.

One of the biggest issues with old Sony--Stringer era and previous--is that many of the departments were silos, or acted very much like competing companies.

That's not gonna work in a post iPhone Apple era, where integration is more expected from tech companies.

Now, add 2 factor authentication to PSN and allow us to change or names.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SIE doesn't sound as good as SCE, but I can understand it. "Computer" is becoming almost an academic word nowadays. I doubt that an average person using a tablet and a phone thinks of them as "mobile computers".

Boke1879

So is this pretty much just a reshuffling? Is any substantial change really happening.

Would be awesome if the OS team started working out of the US.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Does this change the SNEI development groups branding or function in anyway? ref. (San Mateo, San Francisco, Los Angeles).

Holy shit!
Software team headquartered in NA???
Yes!!! PSN 2.0 believe!!!

Maybe in PSN 2.0, when I go to my downloads list on Vita... It would only show Vita games?! Oh shit, I'm so pumped!!

Hopefully this the group that works with PSN and the group that works with developers can get rid of all the super weird jankiness that PSN has. Like, why do I need a javascript hack to sort by console?!

Verendus

Banned
Do you know if there will be a new logo? The diamond is so iconic.

Are there no more departments for America, Europe, and Japan? Everything is under SIE?
Leadership has converged. Our business units remain. This will just make it easier to run things from the top town pretty much, and allow for a more efficient rollout of plans. There will be other changes over time, but there isn't anything to be worried about from a consumer perspective. In general, our operations remain the same.

GobFather

Leadership has converged. Our business units remain. This will just make it easier to run things from the top town pretty much, and allow for a more efficient rollout of plans. There will be other changes over time, but there isn't anything to be worried about from a consumer perspective. In general, our operations remain the same.
Have you seen the new logo ( if there is one)

Will the firmware team still be run by interns?

Will the PSN Store teams still have zero communication or consistency with sales / games prices across regions?

Seems like its a rebranding and a slight shake up of a few top level executives and thats it.

On Demand

Banned

That's good news then. I just feel, as others pointed out too, Sony having different divisions focused in each region is what helped PS become a successful world wide brand. I don't think we would have gotten so much unique content since PS1 if Sony were a more focused U.S. company. See MS for example.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given where the market for PlayStation systems is, this makes sense.

I'm kind of surprised they weren't one division in the first place honestly, but I guess it was a Japanese company so they probably wanted to section off the Western branch if they were giving it a lot of executive power in the region.

Top Bottom