• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE & SNE merge to Sony Interactive Entertainment, HQ moving from Tokyo to California

bigjig

Hopefully this doesn't result in a totally US-centric approach. One of the best things about Sony is that it feels like a truly global company, much more so than Microsoft and Nintendo.

160126a_e.png

Man, what are the chances of two people with the exact same name both having high executive positions in a corporation. That is one crazy ass coincidence.

Elios83

Seems like they're getting rid of any Japanese centrality in management belonging to the origins of the company 20 years ago.
A global approach in mentality is the right direction and certainly what inspired the PS4 since the beginning.
Hopefully it means new features being implemented faster, better online services and new devolopment partnerships getting more easily approved.

It isn't racist. Japan has a real lack of software talent because it has been seen as lesser work in comparison to actually building stuff like cars. You might as well have told your dad you wanted to be a Kubuki busker as design UIs because the reaction would have been the same. Iwata's dad not talking to him for 5 years because he went into software wasn't an isolated attitude.
I'm pretty sure it was mostly because he got into games. Could be wrong, of course.

No. The firmware team becomes more competent by being invested in more and working as a more unified part of a whole rather than a semi-automonous entity.

Furthermore with the firmware team potentially being western based there is a chance roadmaps and future updates will be communicated more frequently and effectively.

Its got nothing to do with racism. But it patently obvious that the current Firmware team both has a investment problem and a commincations problem.

The relevant divisions still seem to be headed by Japanese guys so I'm not sure they will move their operations to the US?

virtualS

The word interactive makes more sense than computer but computer sounds much better.

I just don't want Sony to forget the computer in interactive. I'm unsure about a shift in emphasis from hardware to software.

Alo0oy

Banned
It isn't racist. Japan has a real lack of software talent because it has been seen as lesser work in comparison to actually building stuff like cars. You might as well have told your dad you wanted to be a Kubuki busker as design UIs because the reaction would have been the same. Iwata's dad not talking to him for 5 years because he went into software wasn't an isolated attitude.

I love the PS4 OS, if a US based team means we're gonna get a feature-creep OS with cluttered UI, then keep that team in Japan.

viHuGi

Banned
Hopefully this doesn't result in a totally US-centric approach. One of the best things about Sony is that it feels like a truly global company, much more so than Microsoft and Nintendo.

Europe is much stronger for Sony than US so don't worry mate.

12.4m sales in USA.

35.9m sales WW.

Cool. I don't mind the new acronym at all. Too many people complaining about that little detail. Hopefully this helps consolidate management of all the system relating to Playstation and this leads us down a path to a better PSN.

This is (hopefully!) big news. Now that the online part of Playstation are joined with the offline parts of Playstation this will (hopefully!) lead to a better online experience. If Sony really wants Playstation Vue to succeed that need to have a much better network than they currently have.

This will also (hopefully!) provide a better consumer experience for all gamers. There will no longer be a separate management team for Japan, US or Europe instead a global team. SIE should now be the single point of contact for developers to bring their games to the market with better release dates between regions and simpler pricing.

https://twitter.com/kazhiraiceo/status/691871745289129985

Danlord

http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Press/201601/16-008/index.html

Sony purchased Altair Semiconductor (makes mobile chips) but I don't think it is related that much.

I wonder if this is related to PlayStation VR.

It could be related to Xperia but they source from Qualcomm usually but having their own chip designed for mobile would be cheaper in the long run especially without any licensing costs so it's a possibility.

Another possibility is a new dedicated gaming handheld, but after the Vita's lack of support and interest globally feigning for dedicated gaming handhelds due to smartphone gaming I don't think Sony want to hedge another bet on handheld and it completely tank. So I don't think it's that.

That leaves me with the last option I can see which is PlayStation VR which actually makes sense. The PlayStation VR has a secondary Processing Unit box which handles the 3D audio, unwarping the VR distorted image from headset to the TV and splitting the signal and also processing VR sensor data to send directly to the PS4. It would make sense to own a mobile chip to custom design it to how Sony would want to use it for such things as PSVR and could be cheaper than licensing each chip in the long term.

Kayant

I wonder if this is related to PlayStation VR.

It could be related to Xperia but they source from Qualcomm usually but having their own chip designed for mobile would be cheaper in the long run especially without any licensing costs so it's a possibility.

Another possibility is a new dedicated gaming handheld, but after the Vita's lack of support and interest globally feigning for dedicated gaming handhelds due to smartphone gaming I don't think Sony want to hedge another bet on handheld and it completely tank. So I don't think it's that.

That leaves me with the last option I can see which is PlayStation VR which actually makes sense. The PlayStation VR has a secondary Processing Unit box which handles the 3D audio, unwarping the VR distorted image from headset to the TV and splitting the signal and also processing VR sensor data to send directly to the PS4. It would make sense to own a mobile chip to custom design it to how Sony would want to use it for such things as PSVR and could be cheaper than licensing each chip in the long term.

Reading this Bloomberg article it seems to have no relation to PS.

So is Yoshida still President of the WorldWide Studios on Paper or is it just, that he still has the same task within the company, but no longer the position/name of the president.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
But they created such classic games as..........um........uhhh.........hold on.......
I won't have you talking shit about Die Hard Trilogy. Even if that was the only good game they ever made, it's enough. I still maintain the opinion that Die Hard Trilogy is one of the greatest movie games ever.

So is Yoshida still President of the WorldWide Studios on Paper or is it just, that he still has the same task within the company, but no longer the position/name of the president.

Same task. The difference is now he reports to Shawn Layden instead of Andrew House directly.

Personally I think this is for the better. Shawn Layden comes from a background of having managed internal development before, and is closer to games development than House is, who was Shu's previous direct report.

Of course, kinda sucks for Shu that now he doesn't automatically report to the head honcho himself.

Yeah, it seems like nobody's actual duties are changing much, just who they're reporting to.

Feels like Studio Japan is about to get a lot smaller for some reason.

But Shawn loves SIJA

Oh man... I will miss "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" :(

I do hope they keep this introduction though, even if it is now "Interactive".

I really want to see the new logo.

Also, echoeing the guy from before: Is Shawn Layden a Souls fan? WE NEED BLOODBORNE 2!

Bloodborne's sales should be enough to justify a sequel. Let's not predict the sky is falling just yet.

Memento

Sony Interactive Entertainment
Presents​

Oh man... I will miss "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" :(

I do hope they keep this introduction though, even if it is now "Interactive".

I really want to see the new logo.

Also, echoeing the guy from before: Is Shawn Layden a Souls fan? WE NEED BLOODBORNE 2!

Top Bottom