• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE & SNE merge to Sony Interactive Entertainment, HQ moving from Tokyo to California

zsynqx

Leadership has converged. Our business units remain. This will just make it easier to run things from the top town pretty much, and allow for a more efficient rollout of plans. There will be other changes over time, but there isn't anything to be worried about from a consumer perspective. In general, our operations remain the same.

Please say SCE presents will still be in front of Uncharted 4

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds like a good move business wise. I just hope it does not lead down a path of over-pushing the segments into others. Say forcing Vue and PSVR into PS and so forth.

UC4 will still have the SCE opener guys.

The game will almost certainly go gold before April 1st, when the name change is enacted

What a sendoff

This sounds like it could be a good move. I think they do a great job of a worldwide presence but some things they do (like their selection of retail titles for localised titles, sales across regions, multiple certification for patches/games etc) seems like it could do with some work and perhaps centralising stuff in NA could fix that?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
end of an era

Afrikan

So all the Japanese employees that worked at Sony HQ...are they being asked to move? or being left behind.

and more importantly..

how will Andrew House continue to practice his fluent Japanese???

Interactive reminds me of QTEs.A pity the word computer is out, so retro and meaningful, even romantic for all the people that lived the 80s computer revolution...
Kutaragi wouldnt have liked it.

Syriel

Given where the market for PlayStation systems is, this makes sense.

I'm kind of surprised they weren't one division in the first place honestly, but I guess it was a Japanese company so they probably wanted to section off the Western branch if they were giving it a lot of executive power in the region.

Going forward PlayStation will be an American brand.

That's inevitable if HQ is in San Mateo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So all the Japanese employees that worked at Sony HQ...are they being asked to move? or being left behind.

and more importantly..

The California branch is being declared the headquarters with the Tokyo branch becoming a regional branch.

Executives at Sony Japan will have offices in the Western branch so they can make more frequent and longer stays at the US HQ as needed.

and more importantly..

I think this part of the PR should answer your questions:

SIE will be headquartered in San Mateo, California, the United States, while also establishing key global business operations in Tokyo and London, beginning Friday, April 1, 2016.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This worries me - what made the PS systems stand out from MS was their Japanese focus. We have enough game vendors out there with a focus on the west. I hope this doesn't affect SCE's Japan Studio or the number of 3rd party Japanese games the console gets...

Rezae

Could be a good thing, but it seems like so often these kind of re-alignments really alter things quite a bit, sometimes for the worse. From what I can tell, this seems to make a lot of sense, at least on paper. Hopefully it addresses many of their issues while not creating new ones.

This worries me - what made the PS systems stand out from MS was their Japanese focus. We have enough game vendors out there with a focus on the west. I hope this doesn't affect SCE's Japan Studio or the number of 3rd party Japanese games the console gets...

Same here... hopefully we're wrong

None of that should change. For example, Brad Douglas (the guy Ken Imaizumi credited with getting the Kojima deal done) has said that his job isn't changing.

ittoryu

I am outside of the loop, but is Verendus working for Sony? Sorry for the silly question!

Really looking forward to see the new logo btw... Although I will miss the old one!

Oh thank god

image.php

Interesting move. I will probably still say SCE every time lol

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Regarding UC4, what are the chances we get a logo that morphs from classic SCE to whatever the SIE logo looks like? Be a good way to advertise the change to the maximum audience.

JordanN

Banned
This worries me - what made the PS systems stand out from MS was their Japanese focus.

Playstation = global brand. It gets more Japanese games/support than Xbox because the Playstation always did better in Japan's market.

Simply moving headquarters wont change the fact most of the audience for those games are still on Playstation.

Edit: Ironically, Microsoft were the ones who put a lot of focus on gaining Japan's support with their first 2 consoles and now look where it got them.

Boke1879

I don't see why that would change. The ps4 is a pretty diverse system and I doubt that changes in the future. The people and relationships are still in place

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is a good thing. A very good thing. Sega would still be in the console business had they let the US arm have more (or total) control.

UC4 will still have the SCE opener guys.

The game will almost certainly go gold before April 1st, when the name change is enacted

What a sendoff

I think I see it another way, start it with the new SIE opener with U4.
What great start.

Until Dawn and Uncharted NDC would be the last retail exclusive with the SCE opener.

I really hope they keep "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" it's iconic.

And rarely for something from the 90s it's classy.

Change everything else but not that.

kennyamr

I read that Sony is also eliminating the regional branches of SCE in the process and combining them into a single entity.
I haven't seen any confirmed statement though.
Oh well, I think it's for the better.
Bye bye SIEA/SIEE/SIEJA.

I mean, they just made a deal with Kojima Productions.

Top Bottom