• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA patents amazing new advertising technology

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm going to go ahead and patent the counter for this - a little device that sits next to their microphone, listens for those prompts and plays the appropriate response. (it's next to the microphone so it'll sound quiet to you, but loud for the adbox)

shandy706

Had to make my own...why not..

LOL

sonybomba.jpg

Holy shit hahahahahaha... this would be hilarious. I mean, it would suck beyond any possible definition, but the meltdowns would be friggin hilarious, lol. I wouldn't buy the console if it used that shit.

Einbroch

Banned
Uh, I like those kind of commercials on Hulu.

The quiz ones and such? Turns my 45 second commercial into a 10 second one, and it works, because the last one I did was for Subaru.

gaming_noob

I can see this put into good use. Do you guys remember "AllAdvantage" ad program? The more ads you see, the more money you earn. In this case, you can start up the Ad application on PSN, play with some ads and you can earn virtual money to re-up your PSN+ account. I don't mind this at all.

Burt

I'd do this if they gave the games away for free with it.

I'm not talking about dinky little downloadable games, but hey, if I could save $60 on the next Killzone by saying "McDonald's" every time I booted the game up, I think I could live with it. It'd be like how Youtube is with ads nowadays, minus the ability to turn off the volume and tab out.

Ranger X

Can't wait for next gen and scream MCDONALDS at key moments in my games!!

Also I imagine great stuff like:

"This new level is sponsored by..."

"To speed up loading time, click on this ad..."

"This mandatory install is made possible by..."

"Put the pickle in the burger to read disk"

Videoneon

I love how, when told to say "McDonalds!" the little ad diagram guy doesn't just stay on the couch, dejectedly dismissing the commercial. No - He leaps to his feet and cheers for capitalism!

Yeah, science!
Yeah, McDonalds!

Yup. Fucking seriously. I remember when McDonald's Loved To See Me Smile. Now Sony and McDonald's hate my guts but still want my money.

That someone would even think of this is disturbing.
Pretty much, and it only adds fuel to the idea of next gen consoles being devices nestled in the living room, scrutinizing and prodding their consumers for the benefit of advertisers and metrics analysts.

If both MS and Sony seriously decide to explore this route I'll just jump out of console gaming entirely.

Videoneon

Is it really fair to blame McDonalds for being mentioned in some random Sony patent?

This has little to do with McDonald's themselves, though I hate their food and Ray Kroc was a prick. The old tagline is just an easy segue to expressing my distaste for this as a potential idea (Sony) and McDonald's. It's not like most any other chain wouldn't want this opportunity.

I also don't like Domino's that much either, but I don't remember anything about their advertising except their desperate campaigns to show they're improving.

yurinka

Fuck commercials, leave our games alone. We already pay 70€ for them, no commercials are needed to monetize.

Syrinx

Damn, LOL at this thread.

If this is real, it will be simultaneously be the saddest and most hilarious thing ever.

Top Bottom