• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE confirms three-hour press conference for GamesCom

Xenomorph

Banned
H_Prestige said:
I understand the value the first two items would have to people and that Sony should catch up, but what does ps2 b/c have to do with a comparison between xbl and psn? It's not like the 360 offers it, or ever will.

But to be honest, even if xbl were missing those critical features you mentioned, MS would still charge the same for their service.

I'm just citing it from "what PSN users want" rather than "what PSN should and really could do." I have a 80GB PS3 with BC. I'm set. I'm just saying people think that XBL has "so much more" in terms of what they offer with XBL and I'm really not seeing it. Especially for $30 a month.

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:
Is Bandai Namco bringing the Dragonball Kai RPG for DS to the US?

They are. The game will be released this fall as DragonBall Z: Saiyan Invasion. It was also announced for Europe, along with Raging Blast, and Revenge Of King Piccolo.

Unless they're releasing DragonBall Evolution (PSP) to tie in to the DVD release in Europe (I'm unsure if that specific game was released there), the only other DragonBall title we know of that hasn't got a confirmed localization is DragonBall Online.

noah111

Still Alive
F#A#Oo said:
...you said some along the lines of 'fuck home no one is interested in it' when really it has gotten Sony a shitton of money, and there is quite an active community as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you haven't even touched Home in quite some time..

VALIS

Xenomorph said:
I'm just saying people think that XBL has "so much more" in terms of what they offer with XBL and I'm really not seeing it. Especially for $30 a month.

:lol You added an extra 0 there.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
All these people leaking stuff early are really shitty. It really ruins the impact and fun of announcements.

Seeing Slim "confirmed" again from a french retailer is getting me annoyed.

Announcements for any game, console etc. would be so much more fun if you didn't see them coming. If the rumors don't come true they disappoint people, if they do come true it's what's "expected".

Egmont

Neo Member
Thunderbear said:
All these people leaking stuff early are really shitty. It really ruins the impact and fun of announcements.

Seeing Slim "confirmed" again from a french retailer is getting me annoyed.

Announcements for any game, console etc. would be so much more fun if you didn't see them coming. If the rumors don't come true they disappoint people, if they do come true it's what's "expected".

While I believe you're correct on the whole, I think that leaks do generate quite a bit of hype for whatever they're about that normal announcements can't and don't. There's a certain thrill to discovering something and not really knowing all the details; it allows for a lot of speculation, which keeps the product in the minds of fans as they wait for an "official" announcement.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Sentry said:
...you said some along the lines of 'fuck home no one is interested in it' when really it has gotten Sony a shitton of money, and there is quite an active community as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you haven't even touched Home in quite some time..

I check in every so often...when they introduce new stuff in...generally I find people check it (new stuff that is) for like 5 minutes and then goes back to playing a real game.

As I said it's a BS marketing tool! It would not surprise me if Sony are making money tbh...:lol The world is full of idiots why should HOME be an exception?

The poker tables are fun though...

cakefoo

F#A#Oo said:
I check in every so often...when they introduce new stuff in...generally I find people check it (new stuff that is) for like 5 minutes and then goes back to playing a real game.

As I said it's a BS marketing tool! It would not surprise me if Sony are making money tbh...:lol The world is full of idiots why should HOME be an exception?

The poker tables are fun though...
I can't get out of a new space in just 5 minutes. There's always the free rewards, which are a great idea for motivating people to participate in the space as it was intended to be used. Plus, other things reel you in, like social interaction (watching home users is like observing another life form).

Like it or not, it's actually fun to visit once a week for a half hour/hour. :D

noah111

Still Alive
cakefoo said:
I can't get out of a new space in just 5 minutes. There's always the free rewards, which are a great idea for motivating people to participate in the space as it was intended to be used. Plus, other things reel you in, like social interaction (watching home users is like observing another life form).

Like it or not, it's actually fun to visit once a week for a half hour/hour. :D
Same. If im in there it's usually for at least 20 minutes. The beta was such a blast though in the early days (May 07), it really felt like a small community and everyone sort of knew each other, actually talked about the beta, fixes, gaming in general etc. Such great times, believe it or not. Too bad that community aspect was basically lost when it was opened to the public.

Basically like if GAF allowed people to register for free and post on the very next day without waiting, there would be chaos.. and there certainly was in Home after it grew. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Wonder how Sony will shoot themselves in the foot this year.

They'll get 32 members of Guerilla Games staff to all boost run into one room with RPG's and try and shoot each other in the foot. :D

On a serious note though, they do have some pretty nice announcements lined up by the looks of things, so the awesome to suicide ratio should be more favourable.

Hmm... Dunno if this is real or not but this screenshot shows a PS2 store within the PSN. Like I said who knows but it would be truly awesome.

psn_ps2_store.jpg

Haunted

TheExecutive said:
Hmm... Dunno if this is real or not but this screenshot shows a PS2 store within the PSN. Like I said who knows but it would be truly awesome.

psn_ps2_store.jpg
Xbox originals style? Would be appreciated.

Screen looks fake, though.

Blablurn said:
nope, don't think so. but there will be enough PES on the showfloor.
I'm fucking pumped to see PES 2010 in action.

nofi

TheExecutive said:
dammit. Too good to be true :(

Look at the non-existent glow around the boxes, or the old blue swirly background.

There are other reasons why I know it's old, too, but they'll do.

I never understand why people would ever think an offscreen screenshot would mean anything anymore. Display some mock-up fullscreen on a monitor, take a picture: Kotaku runs it.

Haunted

nofi said:
It's really, really old.

:lol
I just can't keep up with all those fake rumours! :lol

But yeah, some sort of PS3-> PS2 (store or software BC or some other solution, I don't care) announcement would be nice. Reading the God Hand and SotC threads made me want it again.

Spaulding

nofi said:
Look at the non-existent glow around the boxes, or the old blue swirly background.

There are other reasons why I know it's old, too, but they'll do.

That's the new PSN everyone's talking about!

That picture is at least one year old and even back then it was fake...

nofi

Spaulding said:
That's the new PSN everyone's talking about!

That picture is at least one year old and even back then it was fake...

Yep, we had it up almost a year ago.

I don't doubt it's coming, mind - PS2 stuff via the Store would be wonderful. It just seems that the 360's already way ahead on that front.

agaru

Blablurn said:
nope, don't think so. but there will be enough PES on the showfloor.
Actually, it's confirmed there will be a playable demo build for public visitors. From Konami's PR:
These titles showcase Konami’s commitment to diversity and innovation, and will be playable on booth number C30, hall 7.1. Konami´s booth is an exposed construction and its varied product range is conjoined symbolically by a band in Konami´s red.
http://www.voltagepr.com/release.asp?i=841

~capsule

Neo Member
TheExecutive said:

psn_ps2_store.jpg
The Bouncer as a downloadable game?!?!?!?!?!?

Great game in my opinion, but it's too short.

I'm sure Sony would make downloadable PS2 games happen with the magical new firmware, but I'll wait until GamesCom to board the Sony hype train.

offshore said:
Looks like the Video Store will be getting some announcement according to a reply on the PS EU Blog.

"We will be making an official announcement regarding our forthcoming Video Store, next week, at Gamescom! :)"

...says Angela Madronero, "European PlayStation Store Manager".

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/08/11/playstation-store-frequently-asked-questions/comment-page-1/#comment-14295

Thank fuck for that. Looks like the Euro-centric announcements might actually be good then.

Loudninja

Sony GamesCom conf is “just over an hour” long, new timing details
A rep said on the phone that the presser will last “just over an hour” and the extra time around it is “for people to sit down… before we get started

The actual conference is scheduled to start “around 7.00pm,” said the spokesperson.

SCEE had previously said the event was to start at 6.00pm and would last for three hours until 9.00pm.

The publisher sent out a press note this morning detailing the conf’s location, and including the times 6.30-8.30pm.

So. There you go. It’s going to start at 7.00pm and last for about an hour

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/12/sony-gamescom-conf-is-just-over-an-hour-long-new-timing-details/

F#A#Oo

Banned
Seems kinda short for a conference where they'll announce a new console, firmware 3.0, GT5 and all sorts of other Sony goodness.

Loudninja

F#A#Oo said:
Seems kinda short for a conference where they'll announce a new console, firmware 3.0, GT5 and all sorts of other Sony goodness.

How is 1 hour and 30 minutes short? it does not take that long to announced this stuff you know?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
F#A#Oo said:

No firmware 3.0 (IMO).

GT5 may well be held over til TGS.

Slim seems very likely.

There'd be a nice duality between E3 and Gamescom if Slim and GT5 were there though (aligning with Go and GT Mobile @ E3).

hEist

What we will see:
- price cut pspgo for .eu (only)
- ps3slim
- some E3 stuff in German.. (btw. Conference on english or german?)
- football stuff
- something new from guerilla
- again old shit of e3..
- singstar crap
- New uncharted 2 thingie unveiled...
- glimpse of 3.0

Let the flame start!

DuckRacer

gofreak said:
No firmware 3.0 (IMO).

GT5 may well be held over til TGS.

Slim seems very likely.

There'd be a nice duality between E3 and Gamescom if Slim and GT5 were there though (aligning with Go and GT Mobile @ E3).
Amar basically confirmed GT5 will be at Gamescom. I don't know if we'll get a full blowout (they may save that for TGS), but I'd say some new info and a release date is practically guaranteed.

F#A#Oo said:

The announcement of a slim console could just last 5 minutes, Firmware 3.0 could just be briefly touched. GT5 would take, if its shown, anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on if they do an on-stage demo.

Its not like the Slim would be a 30 minute presentation...Actually they could even just touch upon it in a chart. and finally, they could potentially focus more on their portfolio of games and digital PSN store and integration

Wollan

Crazy predictions are crazy.

What will happen is:

Slim for September 2nd @ 299euro / £230
Gran Turismo 5 in December
Video store for a handful of the biggest European countries
PSP Go launch is really close guys!
Here's more stuff on games you've seen before

Loudninja

Wollan said:

What will happen is:

Yeah this seems about right.:D

Erebus

Wollan said:

What will happen is:

Everything sounds quite plausible to me except for the Gran Turismo part.

Elios83

Wollan said:

What will happen is:

Yep I think that's right and would be really awesome I'd say :D
I hope Italy will be within the countries which will see the video store THIS year.
BTW there could be also some firmware/PSN update surprises and a few new titles announced.

Top Bottom